GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like how she handled this situation but she didn't destroy the evidence. She hid some of it and discarded other stuff but I think she didn't cross the line and destroy anything. Didn't she finally admit where the machete was hidden? Again I don't like it but...

Yea but to me, hiding evidence is crossing the line. She only spoke up once police arrived on her property and even by her own testimony she admitted she still hadn't told them what she knew up to the third interview with police at the attorney office. She held back knowledge until it was going to impact her life IMO

Yea but to me, hiding evidence is crossing the line. She only spoke up once police arrived on her property and even by her own testimony she admitted she still hadn't told them what she knew up to the third interview with police at the attorney office. She held back knowledge until it was going to impact her life IMO

I disagree. If LE had been able to charge her as an accessory after the fact they would have done it because she was a reluctant witness for the State. I have watched a number of trials where I wished the State could charge the witness... like Mrs. Cindy Anthony.

Dr. Radisch seems to be acting a little quirky today. JMO

(ETA: Maybe she's not feeling well.)

Lord this is some gruesome testimony...how to saw through a body...knife? Saw? Ewww.

Did Grant or Amanda take butcher's courses at some point in their life?

I'm assuming LE did searches on their computers to see if anyone googled 'how to dismember the mother of your kids'.

Well I'll go ahead and say it (since surely SOMEONE has thought it). I LOVE my sister dearly... she is my best friend and only sibling. If I was in this situation, I will admit it, I'm not 100% sure I would be immediately on the phone turning her in for 1st degree murder. My nephew would lose their mother (and in this case father), and life would be forever changed. I also don't think KB HID evidence. She showed them where everything was when they arrived and the detectives have said that she was cooperative. Had she wanted to HIDE the evidence, she would have gone to slightly greater lengths I think. I think AH put her sister, who loved her like a daughter, in a horrible position and I pray I don't EVER have to know what that felt like.

Did Grant or Amanda take butcher's courses at some point in their life?

I'm assuming LE did searches on their computers to see if anyone googled 'how to dismember the mother of your kids'.

They had sold the Macbook (presumably), so if the buyer was not found, they could have used that computer to look stuff up.

Which makes me think of something...Karen testified that Amanda told her that "Grant sold his computer so we could visit." I'll have to track the timeline down, but IIRC the Macbook wasn't put up for sale on CL until the 15th, which doesn't leave a lot of discussion time for talk about the proposed visit.

They had sold the Macbook (presumably), so if the buyer was not found, they could have used that computer to look stuff up.

Which makes me think of something...Karen testified that Amanda told her that "Grant sold his computer so we could visit." I'll have to track the timeline down, but IIRC the Macbook wasn't put up for sale on CL until the 15th, which doesn't leave a lot of discussion time for talk about the proposed visit.

Nice catch.And if they had $ for the trip why bum money off of sister Karen? Did Grant Hayes ever earn a living?

Galloway! Common face in this crime, Brad Cooper, Jason Young, etc. It's a shame we are getting so used to so many of these people :( But he is awesome! Always so well spoken and to the point.

Nice catch.And if they had $ for the trip why bum money off of sister Karen? Did Grant Hayes ever earn a living?

He and Amanda sold jewelry and iPhone cases. He played around here locally but you don't get rich playing the kind of shows he did. He claimed in one of the emails from the last case that he had spent over "80K large" on legal issues with LA but that was all AH's money... he didn't have an actual job.

You know you watch too many murder trials in Raleigh, when you recognize the witnesses. (I didn't watch Grant's trial)

:seeya: Agent Mike Galloway

Which reminds me, hey Madeleine guess we will be getting to see Det. Young again in Cooper's retrial.

Yep, here it is...

THU 7/14:

AH asks her 22 yr old daughter SE to come by the apt and pick up the children, take them to he (SE's) place to watch them for a few hours - which she did. Also asks SE to bring a vaccum cleaner they could use. At 11:45 AM GH and AH put a living room set for $1,000 on craigslist. At 3:16 Pm GH put this on craigslist: 2 Studio Monitors HSM80 - $450.

CM said she sent LA an email: 'If I don't hear back from you, I am going to the police in the morning.'

FRI 7/15:

(12:55 PM) GH put his macbook on craigslist: 15in Macbook Pro - $1200, the listing was deleted, so appraently the macbook sold.

(6:30 PM) according to Patsy Hayes (GH's mother), GH called her to complain that LA never showed up at the Sheetz in Wilson to pick up the boys for the weekend as is the norm per the current custody arrangements. PH says he was frustrated and the boys were hot. PH says GH asked her to call LA or go see if she was at her residence/office (both LA and PH live in Kinston). *note that this day 7/15 was actually the coolest day of the month and the coolest day since 30 days prior (86 high). The rest of the week was very, very hot...so in hindsight would recall the week as excessively hot but it was not that FRI*

CM (business partner) calls Kinston Police to report LA missing.

SUN 7/17:

GH, AH and the three children set off for AH's sister's in Richmond, TX with a U-Haul trailer and 5 coolers. Prior to departing, they purchase a quantity of coolers, ice, and rent a Uhaul trailer which they attach to their car. This is a 20 hour trip, so its also possible they left Raleigh SAT 7/16.

MON 7/18:

GH and AH arrive in Richmond, TX as AH sister's house. Across the street is Oyster Creek. The two are observed with the coolers at some point(s) on the property.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Amanda Hayes to go on trial for murder of Laura Ackerson

~~~~~~~

Anyone remember which day the detective called Grant? He wrote his name and number down on the motel receipt from Mobile, Alabama.

Oh here comes the invisible and then reappearing knife in Grant and Amanda's car.

Who has a large knife in their car when you have curious little kids in the vehicle?

Yep, here it is...

THU 7/14:

AH asks her 22 yr old daughter SE to come by the apt and pick up the children, take them to he (SE's) place to watch them for a few hours - which she did. Also asks SE to bring a vaccum cleaner they could use. At 11:45 AM GH and AH put a living room set for $1,000 on craigslist. At 3:16 Pm GH put this on craigslist: 2 Studio Monitors HSM80 - $450.

CM said she sent LA an email: 'If I don't hear back from you, I am going to the police in the morning.'

FRI 7/15:

(12:55 PM) GH put his macbook on craigslist: 15in Macbook Pro - $1200, the listing was deleted, so appraently the macbook sold.

(6:30 PM) according to Patsy Hayes (GH's mother), GH called her to complain that LA never showed up at the Sheetz in Wilson to pick up the boys for the weekend as is the norm per the current custody arrangements. PH says he was frustrated and the boys were hot. PH says GH asked her to call LA or go see if she was at her residence/office (both LA and PH live in Kinston). *note that this day 7/15 was actually the coolest day of the month and the coolest day since 30 days prior (86 high). The rest of the week was very, very hot...so in hindsight would recall the week as excessively hot but it was not that FRI*

CM (business partner) calls Kinston Police to report LA missing.

SUN 7/17:

GH, AH and the three children set off for AH's sister's in Richmond, TX with a U-Haul trailer and 5 coolers. Prior to departing, they purchase a quantity of coolers, ice, and rent a Uhaul trailer which they attach to their car. This is a 20 hour trip, so its also possible they left Raleigh SAT 7/16.

MON 7/18:

GH and AH arrive in Richmond, TX as AH sister's house. Across the street is Oyster Creek. The two are observed with the coolers at some point(s) on the property.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Amanda Hayes to go on trial for murder of Laura Ackerson

~~~~~~~

Anyone remember which day the detective called Grant? He wrote his name and number down on the motel receipt from Mobile, Alabama.

Or maybe the computer was thrown out and destroyed because Grant/Amanda realized it would be easy for LE to search and find?

Lori & Cuckoo,
I am :fence: with the discussion you 2 are having.
I see both sides and waver between Karen being deliberate in hiding things or just honestly moving them without thought to evidence.

At the same time, I am 100% with Crazytown on how it would be if it were his/her sister.
I think about this all the time when I am following cases. Usually I imagine if my son got into a situation like this. I have no siblings and he is my only child...
I am ashamed to admit I think I would do anything to keep him out of jail.
As a WS member I KNOW how wrong that is, and my brain tells me do the right thing. My heart screams NO WAY anyone is taking me son from me :(

I count on the fact that I should never have to make these decisions.
He was raised right and is a fine man, it better STAY that way.

Or maybe the computer was thrown out and destroyed because Grant/Amanda realized it would be easy for LE to search and find?

I could be wrong, but I think I remember Sha testifying when queried about the CL listings/pawns that it was sold because, "It was the computer my mom bought him."

Lori & Cuckoo,
I am :fence: with the discussion you 2 are having.
I see both sides and waver between Karen being deliberate in hiding things or just honestly moving them without thought to evidence.

At the same time, I am 100% with Crazytown on how it would be if it were his/her sister.
I think about this all the time when I am following cases. Usually I imagine if my son got into a situation like this. I have no siblings and he is my only child...
I am ashamed to admit I think I would do anything to keep him out of jail.
As a WS member I KNOW how wrong that is, and my brain tells me do the right thing. My heart screams NO WAY anyone is taking me son from me :(

I count on the fact that I should never have to make these decisions.
He was raised right and is a fine man, it better STAY that way.

Yep, not disputing the inclination to help your family in a hard situation even as horrific as this....never want to be in that situation. However, just looking at the evidence, I believe KB was faced with this terrible situation and the facts and her testimony show she did try to help them conceal this horrific crime. My opinion was only remarking on this case and the testimony and the fact that she knew what had occurred and not only helped conceal evidence but never contacted authorities with her suspicions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734