Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that mean she posted that on November 19th?

yes I copied the first part of her FB very early on before deletions started. And that is the exact post from the 19th\

Here is a link to the pdf file of her FB timeline from Nov 15 through Nov 28 at 1:43 p.m.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17h7aYviuWNPU7ISlfhjq4inJwXlI8cTv

This is a link to the pdf of first part of the pictures from her acct:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t8M2pJnXNP1uoQoEXlnD7rh_4S8L2PV7

I have to admit I am a little nervous that there have been no muder charges yet. JMO

IMO, I don't think there is a reason to be nervous. I'd be pleased as punch if there were no murder charges, that means little Mariah didn't die by the hands of another, her death was an unfortunate accident.

I'm sure someone has beat me to this as I'm always a few pages behind, *sigh*, but just in case; I think your viewing is likely the same thing, I hear them referred to both ways. A visitation is simply time for the community to come say their goodbye's and pay respects to family members, usually the night or two before a funeral (depending on expected crowd) and/or morning before funeral service.
Ah yes I realise now that I have been invited to a couple of viewings before, but these were always private, at the undertakers, and not to visit the bereaved family. I haven't actually attended, preferring to keep my memories of them when they were alive.

I'm not talking about cause of death. I'm talking about manner of death.

Cause of Death is the actual cause (for example: overdose, blunt force trauma, metastatic lung cancer, etc).

Manner of death is what was the manner of the death. There are 5 possible manners of death: Homicide, Suicide, Accidental, Natural or Undetermined.

Homicide: a death caused at the hands of another, not necessarily criminal just caused by another human being.
Suicide: death by your own hand.
Accidental: Just that, an accident.
Natural: a natural cause of death like disease, terminal illness, etc.
Undetermined: No flippin clue what happened.
My point still stands that I do not worry that these parents might not be charged with more. My opinion is that they are simply covering all bases so that they can charge them with the maximum, and get it right. There's no rush while EK is in jail with that huge bond.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yes I copied the first part of her FB very early on before deletions started. And that is the exact post from the 19th
Thank you. I've mentioned before that I've never used facebook.

Would you know if that was a picture she sought out to post, or if someone else sent it to her and she was liking / copying / sharing it in her group?

Perhaps it's a cultural difference with 'Visitation' being a southern US term? We north east US (Irish-descent) Catholics call it a 'Wake', while 'Viewing' is used mainly by Protestants. For Catholics, the Visitation is a Feast Day of Mary in May. So not only are we separated by a common language from the Brits and Irish, but also we, ourselves, within our own borders :)

BTW, been lurking here, never posted, so hope the relevant quote is attached.

Would you know if that was a picture she sought out to post, or if someone else sent it to her and she was liking / copying / sharing it in her group?

It was something that she found elsewhere and posted to her timeline.

IMO, I don't think there is a reason to be nervous. I'd be pleased as punch if there were no murder charges, that means little Mariah didn't die by the hands of another, her death was an unfortunate accident.

If it is any consolation, EK and KW 's life is ruined anyways. EK will have karma in prison and KW will be held responsible in Juvenile court for her lack of parental actions. The accusations of abuse are pretty severe and she will not get away from it. I wouldn't be surprised if her parental rights are terminated.

I’m really hoping this won’t be the case!! It looks like LE are being very thorough. I’m very impatient and have to continually remind myself that a good investigation takes time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the wheels of justice turn very slowly, and it's not just the arrest & charges, we then have to wait a few years for the Trial after that.

Sounds part and parcel for what my BIL has been going through. I had a typo in my post about him regaining custody. He didn't get her back for a year, only a couple months. Saddest part is my niece has disabilities. A condition where tumors grow on the soft tissues of her body and Autism like behaviors. She is 13 but functionally about 8-9. Can't read yet. She could be helped academically and otherwise if the but her mom (being the paranoid person she is) will not let her see a psychiatrist for diagnosis of the non medical stuff. My niece is very very smart as evidenced by her actions in other aspects. Just can't get the proper help.
It's ridiculous because even school personnel won't come out against the mom. They don't have any hard evidence of neglect etc but suspect it. Anyway. Just a sad mess. Don't understand wth is wrong with this country that they even remotely think these situations are acceptable and that it's so expensive for fight for your child's rights. [emoji849][emoji849]

My heart goes out to your family. My adopted 6 year old daughter has cerebral palsy. We were told she would never walk, talk, and would have low intelligence. We later discovered she was aspirating when eating and drinking. We have fought like crazy to do everything possible to help her, therapy, surgery, IEP, medication, you name it. Today, she is highly intelligent, talks constantly (turns out she wasn't talking because she had fluid in her ears and couldn't hear, easy fix with ear tubes), and has gone from combat crawling (she was left to lay almost 2 years in an orphanage) to starting to use a walker. There is a huge psychological aspect with children having disabilities that needs to be addressed so they don't suffer emotionally. When my daughter became aware other kids could walk, run, jump and she couldn't, when kids were playing and would innocently run away leaving her stuck alone? I would check on her at night and she would have silent tears flowing down her cheeks. She never asked why she couldn't do things like other kids but we realized she thought it was her fault in some way, she was bad or not good enough. There are so many invisible psychological issues that need addressed throughout their lives. My point is that it is hard enough to see your child have disabilities, I can't even imagine the pain your brother has having to stand by and not fight for what could help her. I feel so angry for what he is going through (in case you couldn't tell lol). I am so sorry. I hope things change. I hope he never gives up and keeps fighting! I apologize as I now I have gone OT so forgive me but this just came to mind, we were never able to afford an adapted bike for my daughter, they are so so expensive. There is an organization called the McLindon Foundation. They help give kids bikes with whatever adaption is needed so they can ride and enjoy the outdoor fun and freedom every other child does. Anyone can send them a message through their fB page and make a request. They do their best based on their financial situation to get kids bikes. Having a bike changed my daughters world. I hope I haven't broken any rules with this post. I apologize in advance if I have and please delete if necessary. So sorry.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic here but I have a sneaking suspicion that Earl didn't actually kill her. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking her death may have been intentional at all. So far as I am aware a M.E. is able to make a determination as to manner of death pretty quickly, COD can take a little time if there are not obvious injuries. Just look at the Caylee Anthony case, Dr G was able to announce manner of death I believe the day after Caylee's autopsy (please correct me if I'm wrong about that). Since they have Earl is custody and if there was any evidence to even merely suggest he was responsible for her death I would imagine they would have laid those charges on him by now. I know it isn't a popular opinion since everyone wants to hang Earl but I think he may very well be innocent.

I wouldn't assume because it's taking a long time that he's innocent. They arrested him so fast and is being held on a million dollar bond. I think they've already got plenty of evidence to pin him, otherwise that bond wouldn't be so high. These investigators really seem to have their act together as far as keeping things under wrap so as to not blow the case. My theory is that like many of these cases where there is no smoking gun and much of the evidence is circumstantial they want to be extra careful to get all they can. Saw another post this morning about they are still waiting on lab results from autopsy and from the scene.

Perhaps it's a cultural difference with 'Visitation' being a southern US term? We north east US (Irish-descent) Catholics call it a 'Wake', while 'Viewing' is used mainly by Protestants. For Catholics, the Visitation is a Feast Day of Mary in May. So not only are we separated by a common language from the Brits and Irish, but also we, ourselves, within our own borders :)

Welcome to the thread, and thanks for posting up the info.

Ah yes I realise now that I have been invited to a couple of viewings before, but these were always private, at the undertakers, and not to visit the bereaved family. I haven't actually attended, preferring to keep my memories of them when they were alive.
And this is probably why in the US we don't refer to a visitation as a viewing, because there is not always an actual viewing. The term visitation covers the entire thing that happens prior to the funeral with all its variations (including closed casket and cremation). If similar things happen AFTER a funeral (music, pictures, fellowship), it's typically just called a memorial service these days, although there are probably more variations on what a memorial service means than what a visitation or a funeral means here.

I'm actually wondering how this visitation is going to work. Normally, family is available to the visitors. If AW is going to stand there while all these people pour through, he may be in for more emotional stuff than he bargained for. It's just going to be a lot more of it than normal.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Having grown up in the south, its definitely the norm here! lol shame on me for being narrow minded but I was surprised when I saw people on here being confused about what that is!

Welcome to the forum :)

In the UK we now use the word 'wake' for the gathering of the family post-funeral. There's another term that slips my mind that's used interchangeably with 'wake' for this gathering.

I believe traditionally 'wake' would have referred to the lying in stage where the family would hold a vigil with the body of the loved one prior to burial. Instead of 'undertakers' which another UKer used, in my family it's the 'funeral parlour', which I would think comes from the body years ago being laid out in the parlour of the home where they lived, and the family sitting around the body through the night (staying awake, hence the word 'wake') until the undertaker comes to take the body for burial.

As times change, families live more distant from each other, so now the family get together is post-funeral where relatives and close friends gather and have a drink and eat and talk about their memories of the departed loved one. This might occur in someone's lounge, or at a local pub or social club. I think for this reason the word 'wake' has been transferred to describe post-funerary rites as opposed to the original meaning of pre-funerary rites.

"Vistitation" has completely different connotations in the UK, and though I am not Catholic I also had an image of the Virgin Mary, and it also means when someone's visited by a spirit or ghost, they've had a 'visitation'.

I wouldn't assume because it's taking a long time that he's innocent. They arrested him so fast and is being held on a million dollar bond. I think they've already got plenty of evidence to pin him, otherwise that bond wouldn't be so high. These investigators really seem to have their act together as far as keeping things under wrap so as to not blow the case. My theory is that like many of these cases where there is no smoking gun and much of the evidence is circumstantial they want to be extra careful to get all they can. Saw another post this morning about they are still waiting on lab results from autopsy and from the scene.

I don't doubt he disposed of Mariah's body, or that he abused her. It's her death that I'm keeping an open mind about.

Since it was shared from another page as opposed to being an image she uploaded directly herself, it could have been just something that showed up in her newsfeed from either liking and following that page, or one of her friends having shared it.

Re: "visitation" it's definitely the cultural norm in the south! Not one I'm particularly fond of in its classic presentation where the body is on display in the casket and people line up to walk by and pay their respects. I will never forget when my grandmother passed away going to the funeral and seeing her body laying there. It was awful. Despite knowing what to expect, I still fainted. I was a sophomore in college by that time and was shocked how profoundly it affected me. Haven't viewed a body since. [emoji31][emoji52] just can't.

No, it's a term we've used my entire life in the upper Midwest as well. And I am catholic. We still refer to this event as a visitation. We would never confuse that with the capitalized Visitation.

That's a good point. Would explain the extreme bond amount but then again that could also just be a prosecutor grand-standing to show the electorate how "tough" they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bubbajax