Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I so hope this has been a Postpartum Psychosis episode. This is VERY close to my MILs house and that area is soooo rural! I had some PPD with my 2nd son because my older son was very very sick and not expected to survive. So thankful that I had the help of family and it never went any further.

Thank goodness they found her... but my heart broke for that man on the 911 call. He sounds so horrified.

It was a woman that made the 911 call about finding the baby-- she mentions her husband bringing the baby up from the ravine in the car seat and her daughter holding the baby. NC alters voices on 911 calls to protect the identity of callers. Apparently it's a state law as I have seen that in other NC cases. That's why her voice sounds male and a bit distorted. Makes it harder to understand what she is saying too. JMO.

Yep, ok then.
Why does a woman think it is better to kill her child than to fess up and tell her husband/parents/friends that she wants nothing to do with the child? In what universe is attempted murder better than admitting your weakness?

RBBM
I guess in the universe of depression? Or depressive psychosis? (Is that even a thing? I’m admittedly just throwing jargon around in an attempt to come to terms with this abuse of this innocent baby.)

At least now that I’ve taken a breath, I realize mom could be very sick. And not just evil. I know personally that the first ‘rule’ of depression is “Depression Lies.” But to be clear, I’m on this baby’s side here.

I would really put very high odds on this being related to PPP.
I totally agree. My previous post up thread was not very generous in this regard. And I’m sorry about that; I was angry after watching the video interview with the woman who helped find her.

The DA spoke briefly and when asked by the press he said Postpartum depression is not enough to negate criminal liability. As long as she is competent to stand trail she can't use that as a defense. PPD may explain her actions but it cannot excuse it under the law. (My paraphrase of his statement-- see Presser for exact quotes).

Presser is over.
Thanks for the info, especially what the DA said about PPD not being enuff to use for a defense. If she's truly psychotic, then there is that avenue, but that would be a long haul, IMO.

Is DSS involved in this case at all? Was there a mention here earlier that DSS had been contacted? Hoping they have been -- and if DSS has no records of problems, then IMO it would take other mental health authorities (physician, diagnosis, treatment, etc.) with prior treatment, perhaps, to put her in a serious emotional/psychic category. And it could be that that is what we've got here, but what about husband, family, etc.?
This one could be a long haul.
Where is Shaylie now? Where is mommy now?
Just thinking aloud. :confused:

Even if the defense is able to put PPP into a juror's head, the prosecution can counter, IMO, that she developed a fairly logical ruse to tell authorities -- and she reported it fairly soon after the actual incident occurred. That doesn't sound psychotic, IMO, but I am not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, or anything close. PPP can be very real, and very serious.
I found some good post-partum info here -- it lists 3 levels of PP problems and has a section on PPP as well. Good reading, IMO.
Women's Mental Health -- Mass General and Harvard
General Information: The Postpartum Period
During the postpartum period, about 85% of women experience some type of mood disturbance. For most the symptoms are mild and short-lived; however, 10 to 15% of women develop more significant symptoms of depression or anxiety. Postpartum psychiatric illness is typically divided into three categories: (1) postpartum blues (2) postpartum depression and (3) postpartum psychosis. It may be useful to conceptualize these disorders as existing along a continuum, where postpartum blues is the mildest and postpartum psychosis the most severe form of postpartum psychiatric illness.
[...]
Postpartum Psychosis
Postpartum psychosis is the most severe form of postpartum psychiatric illness. It is a rare event that occurs in approximately 1 to 2 per 1000 women after childbirth. Its presentation is often dramatic, with onset of symptoms as early as the first 48 to 72 hours after delivery. The majority of women with puerperal psychosis develop symptoms within the first two postpartum weeks.

It appears that in most cases, postpartum psychosis represents an episode of bipolar illness; the symptoms of puerperal psychosis most closely resemble those of a rapidly evolving manic (or mixed) episode. The earliest signs are restlessness, irritability, and insomnia. Women with this disorder exhibit a rapidly shifting depressed or elated mood, disorientation or confusion, and erratic or disorganized behavior. Delusional beliefs are common and often center on the infant. Auditory hallucinations that instruct the mother to harm herself or her infant may also occur. Risk for infanticide, as well as suicide, is significant in this population.
https://womensmentalhealth.org/specialty-clinics/postpartum-psychiatric-disorders/

Last edited:
OT: Step-sis used to work at Mission.

Years ago my Dad was in that hospital at the same time as Billy Graham!

Best to the family & safety for those children!

KRISTA NOELLE MADDEN
Custody Record
Age35
GenderFemale
RaceWhite
Ethnicity Non-Hispanic
Date of Birth Dec 21, 1983
ID Number1905045
Custody Status Date May 09, 2019 11:56 PM EDT
Custody StatusIn Custody
Custody Detail Henderson County Detention Center
Book Date May 09, 2019 11:43 PM EDT

Hendersonville, Hendersonville,

From Vinelink, however I can't get her name to come up on the inmate search for BC Jail.
She's in Henderson:
Name: MADDEN, KRISTA, NOELLE
Primary Offense: WFA;F-ATTEMPT FIRST DEGREE MURDER
Court Date: 05/28/2019
Bond Amount: $750,000.00
Inmate Search

She does. Dad calls himself a former cardiothoracic surgeon at UVA, so not sure about him.

I saw this earlier -- then I saw a pic of Krista and her husband, and I'm pretty sure this is the same guy. According to the US News & World Report article below, he is a cardiologist at a VA hospital in Asheville, NC. Details in article below.

Mods, you may want to check -- I think this is correct.

I saw this earlier -- then I saw a pic of Krista and her husband, and I'm pretty sure this is the same guy. According to the US News & World Report article below, he is a cardiologist at a VA hospital in Asheville, NC. Details in article below.

Mods, you may want to check -- I think this is correct.
If he was a former cardio-thoracic surgery fellow, then he's now finished his fellowship training (comes after residency). He is a now a cardio-thoracic surgeon, not a cardiologist.

I agree, but money talks, etc. (And if this woman is indeed a victim of PPP, I ask the world to forgive what I'm saying.)

I feel that what she did, from beginning to end, was just too pat, too "complete" and thought-out to have been hatched from a psychotic mind (speaking as someone who knows very little about PPP). Certainly, her scenario needed a bit more polish, but it was plausible.
We've seen doctors and other professionals do a job on the jury, especially if big bucks for paid experts are involved in some defenses. It could happen.
The prosecution does have resources as well and the reliable point/counterpoint is what it's all about in the courtroom.
I don't see a plea being offered by either side at any time -- IMO, this one will go to trial.

Even after spending the night in jail with likely very little sleep, Krista Madden is able to coherently answer the judge using complete sentences about her two private attorneys. She also coherently refused a court-appointed attorney. She exhibits no evidence of psychosis or thought disturbances in court.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MimiJules
Back