NC - Skyler Wilson Died of Hypoxic Brain Injury From “Swaddling” by Adoptive Parents Joseph & Jodi Wilson - Mount Airy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
imho child protective services workers and funding is just spread too thin. Gotta make it through the month on the budget provided.

In my experience, the workers & the programs do indeed want the best for the children.

In that same experience -- sometimes the System does get in the way.

Very concerned about the brother, and the couples' children by birth.

Did anyone really have time in their caseload for 4 more kids? Probably not -- spread even thinner....

imho child protective services workers and funding is just spread too thin. Gotta make it through the month on the budget provided.

In my experience, the workers & the programs do indeed want the best for the children.

In that same experience -- sometimes the System does get in the way.

Very concerned about the brother, and the couples' children by birth.

Did anyone really have time in their caseload for 4 more kids? Probably not -- spread even thinner....

But this Foster mother who reported it was very specific and CPS would have confronted the parents with these details and told them to stop, then assigned family therapy to replace the bad methods they were using with the kids.

I will have to research, see if there is anything mentioned about CPS.

IMO:

Sadly, that's not an uncommon event when dealing with any gov. agency. CPS, as it deals with the most helpless and vulnerable, should, by all rights, be among the most careful and most exacting in its missions, but.... Sadly, cases of children taken from "iffy" homes and then placed into far more dangerous or deadly ones happen.

Child protection services are a business like any other. The states receive federal funds for kids in their care but are loathe to spend those funds to care for those kids. They don't want to pay to train foster parents, or to provide extra help for kids that are difficult to care for. They don't want to pay for medical and psychiatric help for anyone involved, even when it's obvious everyone involved would benefit. Further, they don't want to risk losing licensed foster parents by looking too closely or asking too many hard questions if they do suspect problems are brewing.

So, the kids are removed from situations where they are 'at risk' and put into situations where they are in grave danger. :(

Just my personal perception, formed many years ago when I had daily dealings with various child welfare entities. Your mileage may vary.
RBBM

Now, I assume the Wilsons were licensed because it sounds like they'd had at least three other foster children in the past, BUT as far as we know, from everything but the Elkin Tribune article, they were Skyler and his brother's adoptive parents, and did not have any foster children at the time of Skyler's death. So, the question is, if they were no longer on the books as available to foster new children and had let social services know that more fostering was unlikely, would there have been such hesitancy to 'burn' their registered status.

I have a couple updates/new information I've learned that I will let everyone know about in this thread once my insider verification is completed. One thing I can let everyone know about, however, is that Jodi and Joe both have a newly scheduled court appearance coming up on March 6. Not sure what happened in their most recent court appearance, February 2nd, if it indeed ended up happening. The latest I had seen is that they actually waived their right to a public defender, prior to the February 2nd court appearance, according to the Independent Tribune and other news sources. More to come.

4 years old? I know next to zip about the true practice of "swaddling" but I was super surprised this turned out to be a 4 year old child. No age in thread title and 4 months is what registered in my brain upon first scan. Nope, 4 YEARS old. and adopted into the family that killed him.

ETA: there's another brother. Skyler's brother also "cared for" by this pair.
Same thought. I had to read it twice, I was expecting 4 months, not 4 years with regard to swaddling (which I know minimal about).

I have a couple updates/new information I've learned that I will let everyone know about in this thread once my insider verification is completed. One thing I can let everyone know about, however, is that Jodi and Joe both have a newly scheduled court appearance coming up on March 6. Not sure what happened in their most recent court appearance, February 2nd, if it indeed ended up happening. The latest I had seen is that they actually waived their right to a public defender, prior to the February 2nd court appearance, according to the Independent Tribune and other news sources. More to come.
Thank you, @Ty2487 !

So, the question is, if they were no longer on the books as available to foster new children and had let social services know that more fostering was unlikely, would there have been such hesitancy to 'burn' their registered status.
I can't answer that as I just don't know.

My dealings with the CPS have been from a very different point of view, but I saw cases where the social worker would pretzel themselves to believe / trust foster parents over everyone else, and it wasn't pretty.

Mind, I do believe most social workers choose their vocation because they really want to help, but they quickly become both jaded and burned out. On the one hand they see horrific abuses, and can feel quite justified taking kids into care, but on the other they can start seeing every kid as being "at risk" and start overcorrecting...and sadly, some of them slide down the slippery slope 'til they doing far more harm than good.

I thought it should've been a huge wake up call when both the 9th and 10th circuit courts had to rule that social workers can't lie to the judges in court.

Hey everyone,

Ty2487 has been verified as a former classmate of Joseph and Jodi Wilson. As a verified member, they do not have to provide supporting links to what they state as fact about the Wilsons or the ongoing investigation. In all other respects, they go by the same rules as regular members.

Please treat Ty2487 with respect at all times. Members may ask questions, but if there is something you disagree with, do not bicker with a verified member.

Thank you to everyone who is here for sweet little Skyler.

Hey everyone,

Ty2487 has been verified as a former classmate of Joseph and Jodi Wilson. As a verified member, they do not have to provide supporting links to what they state as fact about the Wilsons or the ongoing investigation. In all other respects, they go by the same rules as regular members.

Please treat Ty2487 with respect at all times. Members may ask questions, but if there is something you disagree with, do not bicker with a verified member.

Thank you so much, @Sillybilly .

And thank you @Ty2487 , for going through the verification process! I'm sure your insights are going to help us here, at Websleuths, to understand this crime a little better.

Hey everyone,

Thank you, Billy -- please feel free to restore my first post on the previous page for those who haven't read it yet.

As for some new information I've learned -- it turns out that Jodi did in fact refer to adoption and foster care in some recent posts she made in the last few months, though it wasn't particularly clear that she was an adoptive parent herself. I had unfortunately not seen posts mentioning Skyler and her brother until a few days ago, but word has started to spread amongst my graduating class, and so they've shared some of what they had seen with me. As I've gone through some of her recent posts, I can relay to you some of what she's posted, though just a heads-up, some of what I share may be disturbing to some. (I will mostly paraphrase what she wrote since screenshots & direct quotes isn't allowed)

On Dec 29 at 6:03, Jodi posted about her "son" -- it's not entirely clear if she's referring to Skyler or his brother, but I found it eye-opening nonetheless, and I believe she is indeed talking about Skyler, given his age. Anyways, in this post, Jodi talked about how there were some days where he struggled to make his own bed despite knowing how to do it in 2 minutes. From her perspective, she felt that his struggle with doing this task on certain days was due to him struggling with his own self-worth "with a side of shame and guilt." However, she felt that giving him just one task/chore of making his bed had helped him a lot and that he enjoyed doing it and "being proud of himself." She felt that despite the bad days, it had improved his outlook.

Just my own thoughts/interpretation here in response to seeing that particular post -- I'm not sure what she's referring to when she mentions Skyler's "shame and guilt," but given how she would isolate him for hours at a time and basically torture the kid, I'm not surprised he was having some mental struggles to go along with what he was going through physically. I also find this to be a bit cryptic by her (not the first time she would be cryptic, as I found), and she obviously wasn't telling everyone the full truth of what was going on behind the scenes. I believe she very well knew that she had something to do with his "bad" days, no matter how much she tried to make it seem on her FB page like it was purely just Skyler having his issues and her trying to "help" him. The 911 responder hearing her say, "It's my fault," in the background on the night Joe called for help on the night of January 5th speaks to that, I believe.

The day before, on Dec 28 at 5:29 PM, she had a long post, in which she described making it through 8 weeks and 4 days of phase one with something called "Doodle," as well as completing 1 week of phase 2. Wasn't able to really find what she was referring to with Doodle, other than it being some kind of scheduling tool. That said, she also mentioned that she would soon start phase 1 with Skyler's brother. She stated how she's grateful to God everyday for saving her family and helping her heal "our boys." In this same post, she referenced having weekly or biweekly calls with Nancy Thomas, the same individual they would later claim to have learned the "swaddling" technique from that killed Skyler. She referred to Nancy Thomas as "Nancy from the documentary 'child of rage.' " Jodi also later mentioned that on her to do/read list was clearing the "4 generational curses" from her youngest, which was likely Skyler's brother. I haven't looked into this that much, but this appears to be a biblical reference; it seems as the 4 generational curses are (1) idolatry/the occult, (2) sinful patterns, (3) destructive behaviors and faulty mindsets, and (4) physical/mental sicknesses. Yeah, they were clearly deep into whatever they were doing -- but again, Jodi and Joe were not fully revealing the extreme lengths that they were going to on FB.

On December 24, Jodi had an extremely length post about proposed policy changes for Child Protective Services and "The Courts" regarding complex developmental trauma and Reactive Attachment Disorder. I may seek approval from an admin to post a screenshot or direct quote in its entirety, but right off the bat, Jodi seems to be concerned with her rights to her adoptive kids being terminated and/or her and Joe being threatened with criminal charges/incarceration because of the way they are trying to help Skyler and/or Skyler's brother for their behavior and/or previous history of trauma.

And lastly... the post that one of my classmates brought to my attention that disturbed me the most. It came on December 22 at 10:02 AM. She described how relieved she was to be getting a 2 week break after 8 weeks and 4 days of "pouching" Skyler, saying that she felt so free. SHE was the one feeling freedom and relief to be getting a break... almost as if she was the one enduring that nightmare. Just unreal. She also mentioned that she would be pouching Skyler's brother, noting that he weighed 33 pounds. As she would later reiterate on December 28th, she expressed the sentiment (in all caps) that God saved her family and prayers had been answered... before what I would now describe as cryptically saying, "Evil spirits fought." Sadly, we all know what that truly means now, but again, it just goes to show she was publicly celebrating her own treatments while hiding the full nature of it from those that could read these posts. To me, it speaks to her guilty conscience and knowing full well that sharing what she was actually doing had a good chance of receiving backlash.

In this Dec 22nd post, she also mentioned that "Phase 2" was in full effect for Skyler's brother and that he was getting a 2 week break as well, which she attributed to testing boundaries before going "back in the pouch," further stating in an edit that he was currently being pouched and had been pouched for 2 hours at that point. She described Skyler ("my older son") as being eager to be pouched as well and that he was initially jealous of his brother's pouching. The edit history of this post is a bit confusing, but it would seem Skyler's brother may have received this "treatment" first. Jodi referred to this treatment as attachment therapy and how it had been "a trip" getting out the "angries" and "sads" from her adopted kids for 60 days straight and asserting that simply giving her adopted kids love was not sufficient enough. The logical conclusion here, I think, is that Jodi's version of love was the problem...

Anyways, I think this post is long enough, but I certainly thought this was all important to share with you all. It speaks to Jodi's state of mind and how disillusioned she was, as well as how her religiousness played into things. Everything she perceived as abnormal with Skyler and his brother, she convinced herself was the result of this attachment disorder, which I have come to believe she diagnosed herself without the input of an actual professional who would be far more qualified. She seemingly never thought her treatment was exacerbating things or creating new symptoms, and she likely ignored the dangers of the treatment she was performing, if she ever even read about that or looked into it at all. Joe was not as active on social media as Jodi, but I could see he would occasionally "like" quite a few of her posts, and he ironically had posted an anti-abortion stance caption/image on June 29, 2022, of how the lives of foster children & disabled children has meaning and shouldn't be denied by others, which Jodi "liked/loved" as well. I would imagine they both went down the dark downward spiral in this together, though Jodi was far more vocal about it on her FB page and generally far more active on FB than he was.

I'll provide updates if I get any more; hoping there's more news to come if and when their upcoming March 6th court appearance takes place. FWIW, I also reviewed some direct messages I exchanged with Jodi back when we were in school, and it was evident back then that she was deeply religious. It's sad to read it back now... back then, I thought she was just curious to learn about what I believed in for purely altruistic reasons, but now it reads almost as if she partly wanted to make sure my beliefs were "agreeable" enough with hers. A former classmate of mine that knew them better mentioned to me recently that she and Joe loved to "convert" people and make them believe in what they did, and that wasn't just limited to religion. ...The more I learn about them and everything that went on, the more I'm in disbelief.

Thank you, Billy -- please feel free to restore my first post on the previous page for those who haven't read it yet.

As for some new information I've learned -- it turns out that Jodi did in fact refer to adoption and foster care in some recent posts she made in the last few months, though it wasn't particularly clear that she was an adoptive parent herself. I had unfortunately not seen posts mentioning Skyler and her brother until a few days ago, but word has started to spread amongst my graduating class, and so they've shared some of what they had seen with me. As I've gone through some of her recent posts, I can relay to you some of what she's posted, though just a heads-up, some of what I share may be disturbing to some. (I will mostly paraphrase what she wrote since screenshots & direct quotes isn't allowed)

On Dec 29 at 6:03, Jodi posted about her "son" -- it's not entirely clear if she's referring to Skyler or his brother, but I found it eye-opening nonetheless, and I believe she is indeed talking about Skyler, given his age. Anyways, in this post, Jodi talked about how there were some days where he struggled to make his own bed despite knowing how to do it in 2 minutes. From her perspective, she felt that his struggle with doing this task on certain days was due to him struggling with his own self-worth "with a side of shame and guilt." However, she felt that giving him just one task/chore of making his bed had helped him a lot and that he enjoyed doing it and "being proud of himself." She felt that despite the bad days, it had improved his outlook.

Just my own thoughts/interpretation here in response to seeing that particular post -- I'm not sure what she's referring to when she mentions Skyler's "shame and guilt," but given how she would isolate him for hours at a time and basically torture the kid, I'm not surprised he was having some mental struggles to go along with what he was going through physically. I also find this to be a bit cryptic by her (not the first time she would be cryptic, as I found), and she obviously wasn't telling everyone the full truth of what was going on behind the scenes. I believe she very well knew that she had something to do with his "bad" days, no matter how much she tried to make it seem on her FB page like it was purely just Skyler having his issues and her trying to "help" him. The 911 responder hearing her say, "It's my fault," in the background on the night Joe called for help on the night of January 5th speaks to that, I believe.

The day before, on Dec 28 at 5:29 PM, she had a long post, in which she described making it through 8 weeks and 4 days of phase one with something called "Doodle," as well as completing 1 week of phase 2. Wasn't able to really find what she was referring to with Doodle, other than it being some kind of scheduling tool. That said, she also mentioned that she would soon start phase 1 with Skyler's brother. She stated how she's grateful to God everyday for saving her family and helping her heal "our boys." In this same post, she referenced having weekly or biweekly calls with Nancy Thomas, the same individual they would later claim to have learned the "swaddling" technique from that killed Skyler. She referred to Nancy Thomas as "Nancy from the documentary 'child of rage.' " Jodi also later mentioned that on her to do/read list was clearing the "4 generational curses" from her youngest, which was likely Skyler's brother. I haven't looked into this that much, but this appears to be a biblical reference; it seems as the 4 generational curses are (1) idolatry/the occult, (2) sinful patterns, (3) destructive behaviors and faulty mindsets, and (4) physical/mental sicknesses. Yeah, they were clearly deep into whatever they were doing -- but again, Jodi and Joe were not fully revealing the extreme lengths that they were going to on FB.

On December 24, Jodi had an extremely length post about proposed policy changes for Child Protective Services and "The Courts" regarding complex developmental trauma and Reactive Attachment Disorder. I may seek approval from an admin to post a screenshot or direct quote in its entirety, but right off the bat, Jodi seems to be concerned with her rights to her adoptive kids being terminated and/or her and Joe being threatened with criminal charges/incarceration because of the way they are trying to help Skyler and/or Skyler's brother for their behavior and/or previous history of trauma.

And lastly... the post that one of my classmates brought to my attention that disturbed me the most. It came on December 22 at 10:02 AM. She described how relieved she was to be getting a 2 week break after 8 weeks and 4 days of "pouching" Skyler, saying that she felt so free. SHE was the one feeling freedom and relief to be getting a break... almost as if she was the one enduring that nightmare. Just unreal. She also mentioned that she would be pouching Skyler's brother, noting that he weighed 33 pounds. As she would later reiterate on December 28th, she expressed the sentiment (in all caps) that God saved her family and prayers had been answered... before what I would now describe as cryptically saying, "Evil spirits fought." Sadly, we all know what that truly means now, but again, it just goes to show she was publicly celebrating her own treatments while hiding the full nature of it from those that could read these posts. To me, it speaks to her guilty conscience and knowing full well that sharing what she was actually doing had a good chance of receiving backlash.

In this Dec 22nd post, she also mentioned that "Phase 2" was in full effect for Skyler's brother and that he was getting a 2 week break as well, which she attributed to testing boundaries before going "back in the pouch," further stating in an edit that he was currently being pouched and had been pouched for 2 hours at that point. She described Skyler ("my older son") as being eager to be pouched as well and that he was initially jealous of his brother's pouching. The edit history of this post is a bit confusing, but it would seem Skyler's brother may have received this "treatment" first. Jodi referred to this treatment as attachment therapy and how it had been "a trip" getting out the "angries" and "sads" from her adopted kids for 60 days straight and asserting that simply giving her adopted kids love was not sufficient enough. The logical conclusion here, I think, is that Jodi's version of love was the problem...

Anyways, I think this post is long enough, but I certainly thought this was all important to share with you all. It speaks to Jodi's state of mind and how disillusioned she was, as well as how her religiousness played into things. Everything she perceived as abnormal with Skyler and his brother, she convinced herself was the result of this attachment disorder, which I have come to believe she diagnosed herself without the input of an actual professional who would be far more qualified. She seemingly never thought her treatment was exacerbating things or creating new symptoms, and she likely ignored the dangers of the treatment she was performing, if she ever even read about that or looked into it at all. Joe was not as active on social media as Jodi, but I could see he would occasionally "like" quite a few of her posts, and he ironically had posted an anti-abortion stance caption/image on June 29, 2022, of how the lives of foster children & disabled children has meaning and shouldn't be denied by others, which Jodi "liked/loved" as well. I would imagine they both went down the dark downward spiral in this together, though Jodi was far more vocal about it on her FB page and generally far more active on FB than he was.

I'll provide updates if I get any more; hoping there's more news to come if and when their upcoming March 6th court appearance takes place. FWIW, I also reviewed some direct messages I exchanged with Jodi back when we were in school, and it was evident back then that she was deeply religious. It's sad to read it back now... back then, I thought she was just curious to learn about what I believed in for purely altruistic reasons, but now it reads almost as if she partly wanted to make sure my beliefs were "agreeable" enough with hers. A former classmate of mine that knew them better mentioned to me recently that she and Joe loved to "convert" people and make them believe in what they did, and that wasn't just limited to religion. ...The more I learn about them and everything that went on, the more I'm in disbelief.
Daily restraint, for hours and hours a day, for months, for both boys.

She describes her feelings purely in terms of parental catharsis. By doing what she's doing to them, she feels better, as I hypothesised.

Generational curses. The only words I have are four letter ones. These were babies, four and two or three.

And yeah, if they were in that much personal contact with Nancy, she can't get away with claiming she didn't know them or what they were doing to the boys. There will be a digital trail, phone records. I have hopes that she will face charges, too.

And I have to ask, does anyone here have a four year old who can make a bed, let alone well, in under two minutes? I'm getting visions of boot camp.

I'll probably have more thoughts, and maybe questions, later. I'm just going to try and digest this, first.

Thanks, @Ty2487 .

Wow, that Nancy Thomas is something else. The "In Her Own Words" section near the bottom is horrifying.
AT Proponent — Nancy Thomas

Child of Rage is a fascinating documentary. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it - it's on YouTube. Thomas' influence in Jodi's posts is apparent.
Sorry, I can't remember if you've commented on here yet, if not, welcome to Skyler's thread! If you haven't read it, back a page or two is the link to Wikipedia about this whole abusive practice. It's hard going, but it'll really illuminate the mindset of the promoters and parents who abuse their kids this way.

And if you can't face a deep dive, I've commented a bunch on here, as have others. Should be enough give you a cliff's notes version.

I know of Child of Rage, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it. I think for one thing, I don't want to give them the views.

SO glad the brother, the daughters, and Skyler are out o' there.

Sad that Skyler left the way that he did, but his passing likely did save his brother.

SO SO sad! More evil to children cloaked as "religion."

Thanks, @Ty2487 for sharing with us!

Wow, that Nancy Thomas is something else. The "In Her Own Words" section near the bottom is horrifying.
AT Proponent — Nancy Thomas

Child of Rage is a fascinating documentary. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it - it's on YouTube. Thomas' influence in Jodi's posts is apparent.
I wouldn’t let her anywhere near my dog! She needs to be prosecuted.

I can tell you firsthand many foster parents really expect a living doll. They think they've rescued a little heathen that will be so overwhelmed and grateful for this act of kindness they will spend the rest of their lives obeying every command and fall over themselves with delight at the smallest human courtesy or cheap gift.

What they get is a bundle of anger and defensiveness that has just been (from their point of view) kidnapped from their parents. They've lost their friends, their pets, and most or all of their belongings.

They've been forced to switch schools and have to try to meet new people and make new friends while facing the worst circumstance a child can face: feeling different and having to answer questions about their parents and having to defend themselves from the inevitable teasing and abuse from other kids.

Some of them have just left the hospital and have horrific injuries they have to learn to live with and want nothing more than to hide in a cave somewhere to play video games and process whatever happened.

If they're in danger of being re-taken by their biological families, they may have to be hidden in safe houses where they can't have any contact with anyone they know.

They feel like they might as well have been drop-kicked to the moon.

But some foster parents really think that a trip to Wal-Mart for new clothes, a $10.00 haircut and a cute little room with new sheets will fix everything.

Further, I think the state officials and social workers harbor the same magical thinking, and just can't understand why the kids they're trying so hard to help and protect aren't responding the way they imagine they should.

I agree with everything except for your last sentence.

Caseworkers are all too aware that foster parents are living, breathing people who have the same flaws and information deficits as other people. Foster parent training addresses the very issues you bring up, but it can be difficult to get through the foster parents' excitement and masked or hidden belief systems, and many foster parents operate under the notion that things will be different for them because they have a nice home or an income that allows for gifts and nice things or they have a strong faith, and they tend to gloss over the fact that they don't have the actual experience of dealing with a child who has experienced significant trauma.

Including this as a link for becoming a foster parent in NC to support my claim about training: Adoption and Foster Care | NCDHHS

MOO.

I went looking for "Child of Rage" and when I found it, I realized I actually saw it years ago when my two youngest daughters were both pre-K, and I remember discussing it with my now-ex and at least one other woman with small kids.

Like everything else, I figured there are multiple sides to every story, and was curious how the story would change -or not- over the next decade or so, but never followed up because I just forgot all about it.

Now, I'm a bit confused. How is it related to the other players mentioned in this thread? Is the Dr. Myers in the movie a representation of someone who is somehow involved in this case?

I went looking for "Child of Rage" and when I found it, I realized I actually saw it years ago when my two youngest daughters were both pre-K, and I remember discussing it with my now-ex and at least one other woman with small kids.

Like everything else, I figured there are multiple sides to every story, and was curious how the story would change -or not- over the next decade or so, but never followed up because I just forgot all about it.

Now, I'm a bit confused. How is it related to the other players mentioned in this thread? Is the Dr. Myers in the movie a representation of someone who is somehow involved in this case?
I suspect that 'Dr Myers' is a fictitious version of Connell Watkins, who went on to kill Candace Newmaker in a 'rebirthing' session. The wikipedia entry for Child of Rage discloses the real name of the child who was the inspiration for the film. Connell Watkins was the 'therapist' who used these techniques on her. Nancy Thomas was the child's mother.

MOO

I suspect that 'Dr Myers' is a fictitious version of Connell Watkins, who went on to kill Candace Newmaker in a 'rebirthing' session. The wikipedia entry for Child of Rage discloses the real name of the child who was the inspiration for the film. Connell Watkins was the 'therapist' who used these techniques on her. Nancy Thomas was the child's mother.
That makes perfect sense. I guess I'll have to rewatch it one day, as I don't remember it very well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m00n_g0ddess
Back