NC vs. Raven Abaroa ~ the Trial 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had entirely to many interruptions today and need to watch that video Raven made. How freaking creepy!:eek:hwow:!

Even just having information on Josh Powell - the guy who got away with killing his wife (until he blew up his house with his kids inside, killing them all). I mean, there are creepy parallels. Just having information on him on his computer is pretty damning, in my opinion.

please anyone have a link to follow this case.. thank you.

Arrgh, I think the internet ate my post.

I just cannot believe that Raven is stupid enough to mail the murder weapon to LE. I mean, he's an idiot, but he's not THAT stupid. In my mind, all this proves is that he had personal belongings somewhere other than at the house the night of the murder - the crime scene video doesn't show a knife left out anywhere, and thus I would conclude that Raven had stashed his knives (and perhaps his laptop?) somewhere that LE wouldn't find it. And then he pretends to cooperate with the Investigator by mailing him one of his knives that's obviously not the murder weapon. Thoughts?

Agreed, guera! But why would RA insist that a knife was left in the murder room? (I think I heard that testimony correctly by Inv. Sole -- if not, never mind). Why would he say that? Certainly it's a lie and it can be proved 6 ways to Sunday, but for what purpose? How does it help him? Is he just trying to make the investigation look that careless and the investigators look incompetent? The less said, the better, Mr. Motormouth Abaroa....

Holy ***** - Raven had a CA Driver's License - from 2/5/09 - under a fake name - why would he need a new identity???

I think I remember that, wasn't it this?

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80344"]Raven Peters (Abaroa) new girlfriend, state, name and life - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

And Raven lied to LE about his location - according to testimony he told LE he was in SLC, UT. He was really in Idaho. More LIES.

Was he just playing with them, or is there some sinister reason for his not telling about Idaho?

He is despicable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And one more thang:

I feel absolutely sure that had Vanessa Pond not left RA, she would be dead today. 100% sure. Anyone else?

Seeing him on video, hearing his voice......made the hair on my arms stand up.

this testimony is mind blowing....

poor Janet...omg....poor Janet!! :(

Every time she was with JA and around someone else, she became a non-person. Silent as a rock, poor little thing. She was just simply not there. What a piece of carp he was. And she died before she could ever be herself again -- except when she as alone with her little son. :stormingmad:

Yes, East, but I think Sole has his usual spiel about the K9 biznez down so that if K9 evidence becomes a big deal, he has already laid it out to show how thoroughly the dog & handler are trained. No biggie, but it did take time.

Plus, the DT is so dayam coin-crazy, it may become relevant or it may forestall that he was indeed using an experienced dog and not a new or inexperienced one. Just one more LE formality.

I know, I know....it's that patience quality again. But Sole seemed to have gone to Mars and back during his talk about the dog's role in the investigation and in all of that talking didn't actually say anything.

The early break today allowed me a nice nap. Now, I have to make up for several lost days around here due to the migraine.
Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow morning! I pray something major will happen tomorrow that will leave no doubt in the minds of the jurors. I, personally, am getting desperate and feel that Janet's family may be too. I am still thinking about VP's voir dire yesterday and how she went to her dad when she finished. He wrapped her in his loving and gentle arms while she cried. I can't imagine how thankful he is that his lovely daughter is still alive.

Hi Guera! I am waiting lol; so far it's all about dog handling but Im having trouble following his testimony. He is talking about training but not about the actual case; then he talks about the case...so color me Confused lol! More Coffee for me, this morning it is Carmel Truffle, it's like mocha with a twist. Yum!

I thought his testimony regarding the dogs were great actually. I think it's the prosecution asking questions regarding his training. They always go into the training of the witness before they talk about their relation to the case.

Was he just playing with them, or is there some sinister reason for his not telling about Idaho?

He is despicable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And one more thang:

I feel absolutely sure that had Vanessa Pond not left RA, she would be dead today. 100% sure. Anyone else?

I believe that if Vanessa Pond attempted to leave Raven she would have been dead, I think in her testimony she was trying to be very clear that she had to make him want to leave, because otherwise it would have been VERY BAD..was the words, I believe she used to describe the situation.

Maybe she was of the impression, like many of us were, that Janet was planning to leave Raven and that is why he killed her. I myself think he planned and premeditated the murder of Janet, but I believe truly that Janet was through with him and wanted out of her marriage.

I guess the biggest issue is she could not testify to what happened or any conversations DURING their marriage. We don't know what threats he may or may not have had or how much verbal or any physicial issues she's had to deal with or how much manipulation she dealt with since the day of her wedding. I have to take her at her word when she said, she did what she could do to push him to leave, because it would be very bad if she tried to leave him.

I thought his testimony regarding the dogs were great actually. I think it's the prosecution asking questions regarding his training. They always go into the training of the witness before they talk about their relation to the case.

You are absolutely right about laying the foundation. I think we were all hoping for some smackdown testimony and there wasn't any regarding the dogs. After not really saying anything about the dog's findings, the ADA then casually moved into the dog handler's investigation of the case and, so far, nothing there either for the most part. If I am thinking correctly Judge Hudson said the prosecution should rest mid-week? I'm still waiting for a few solid, undeniable pieces of that puzzle to fit.

Agreed, guera! But why would RA insist that a knife was left in the murder room? (I think I heard that testimony correctly by Inv. Sole -- if not, never mind). Why would he say that? Certainly it's a lie and it can be proved 6 ways to Sunday, but for what purpose? How does it help him? Is he just trying to make the investigation look that careless and the investigators look incompetent? The less said, the better, Mr. Motormouth Abaroa....

Raven is extremely narcissistic, and has a personality disorder and he's a sociopath. He was taunting Law Enforcement.

I mean my goodness, this guy had interviews with this investigator and taped it then taped himself talking to the camera afterwards???

How crazy is that!!!

From WRAL's 4pm internet news:

Abaroa trial testimony (Day 11)
Raven Abaroa's 2007 NC Wanted interview
Second wife testifies of physical abuse by Raven Abaroa
Complete Coverage: Janet Abaroa murder case
Expert says blood evidence inconsistent with Abaroa's claims
Detective: Abaroas spent more than they made
Picture further emerges of Janet Abaroa's worries about husband

Durham, N.C. — A man on trial for killing his wife more than eight years ago videotaped phone conversations he had with police and then appeared to talk with himself on camera, according to a video that investigators seized from his home after his arrest.

More Info Janet Abaroa murder case Complete Coverage: Janet Abaroa murder case

"He would have a conversation with me and a conversation with the camera afterward," Charles Sole, the fifth and final lead investigator in the murder case of Janet Marie Christiansen Abaroa, testified Tuesday.

Raven Abaroa, 33, is accused of first-degree murder in his wife's April 26, 2005, stabbing death at their home on Ferrand Drive in Durham. He has maintained his innocence, saying he was at a soccer game when she was killed.

The recording jurors saw Tuesday appeared to have been made in January 2010 – according to a time stamp on the video – less than a month before he was arrested in Montpelier, Idaho.

"I've got my work cut out for me, geez," Raven Abaroa says in the clip. "I need to win the lottery. This fight – you need money, and you need power."

"I can feel myself feeling frustrated," he says in another portion of the video.

Sole, who took over the investigation in August 2009, said Raven Abaroa was still a person of interest in the murder case at the time but that several pieces of evidence led him to name him as a suspect.

For example, an interview he did with FOX 50's NC Wanted in October 2007 drew Sole's attention, he said, because statements Raven Abaroa made were inconsistent with what he told police investigators in the hours after he found his wife's body.

"It just kind of drew my attention," Sole said. "Things that you shouldn’t be inconsistent on, too, kind of bothered me."

Prosecutors have offered no clear motive for the crime but told jurors during opening statements that their case is based on "words and actions" before and after Janet Abaroa's death that, when put together with all the evidence, will prove that Raven Abaroa is guilty.

They have, however, painted him as a controlling and verbally abusive husband with a temper whom Janet Abaroa feared.

But defense attorneys say police focused only on their client and ignored evidence that could have cleared him, including an unidentified fingerprint and DNA sample found at the crime scene and reports of break-ins in the neighborhood in the weeks prior to Janet Abaroa's death.

Sole defended the investigation, saying that he looked into the police reports of the break-in but determined that they involved broken glass and items stolen from homes.

In the Abaroa case, he said, "there was not the rummaging you would see in a breaking and entering. There were items left that would have had great value."

Sole also told jurors that Raven Abaroa claimed he found a knife years later in a box of belongings his stepfather packed up that police failed to collect.

"He claimed this knife was left visible at the crime scene, and that just wasn't true," Sole said.

Other witnesses have also talked about inconsistencies in what Raven Abaroa told them and what he told investigators.

For example, on Monday, his longtime friend, Mackensie Folster, said he told her in 2006 that he found his wife in a fetal position in their bed even though police found her body on the floor of an upstairs office.

Raven Abaroa also said that Janet Abaroa was pregnant with their second child and that they had told his family the news and were planning to tell her family.

An autopsy found Janet Abaroa was likely in the early stages of pregnancy when she was killed, but a close friend testified that Janet Abaroa denied being pregnant when she talked to her on the afternoon of her death.

http://www.wral.com/lead-detective-was-bothered-by-raven-abaroa-s-inconsistencies/12445497/

You are absolutely right about laying the foundation. I think we were all hoping for some smackdown testimony and there wasn't any regarding the dogs. After not really saying anything about the dog's findings, the ADA then casually moved into the dog handler's investigation of the case and, so far, nothing there either for the most part. If I am thinking correctly Judge Hudson said the prosecution should rest mid-week? I'm still waiting for a few solid, undeniable pieces of that puzzle to fit.

To me the smackdown testimony of the dog was there wasn't really any findings, whereas the defense was trying to state the dogs picked up something and there was some intruder that came into the home and killed Janet and then dropped some coins. This is shooting the defenses opening statements.

This guy, Sole was on the scene the day of the murder with the dog, then he became an investigator on the case.

To me the smackdown testimony of the dog was there wasn't really any findings, whereas the defense was trying to state the dogs picked up something and there was some intruder that came into the home and killed Janet and then dropped some coins. This is shooting the defenses opening statements.

This guy, Sole was on the scene the day of the murder with the dog, then he became an investigator on the case.

That was my take too. I was hoping the dogs would track to something of Raven's--his vehicle, back into the house, etc. The prosecution needs to drill home these points so that there is a clear understanding in the minds of the jurors. I always worry about the jurors and if they are connecting the dots--if they can't do it on their own the prosecutor has to do it for them. So far, I am not seeing an abundance of strength on this prosecutor's team. I hope I'm very wrong and they will come to life and start pouncing very soon.

I agree there is not a lot of passion here. I believe the strength in the prosecution team is where is the evidence?

Raven lived in the home. Perhaps Raven did throw the coins in the creek, but he lived in the home, so his scent is everywhere.

It's a common sense case.

Nobody broke into that home. Janet was quiet, yes. Janet would have fought tooth and nail if anyone came into that home. I believe if Raven took a swing at her, Janet would have fought back. Janet would do anything to protect Kaiden. The person that killed Janet had the ability to come into the office, put their arm around her and stab her.

There is only ONE person that was able to do that.

He planned and premeditated the murder, there is NO other person there. This is why it's a CE case. Anyone that would have come in from anywhere would have left something, anything.

The only person with a motive was Raven. Period.

The jurors are there every day, hopefully some of the stuff we aren't seeing is making it clear to them.

I hope everything ties together in the end.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btc121296
Back