ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Casshew
Anyone know what his Mother has to say about all this? Didn;t he live with his Mom?

Cass...

Geez Cass, I don't which would be worse, being Jackie Peterson or this woman. All those year's he was gone, here she is in her twilight year's, and now what she has had to endure. You know the police didn't just knock quietly. But, perhaps she called and helped, remember Samantha Runnion, it was that perp's family that called LE on him. God help us all, but especially Dru.

Rodriguez wasn't recommended for commitment
Brian Bakst, Associated Press

Published December 3, 2003 COMM03

Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., the man suspected in the disappearance of a University of North Dakota student, was considered for civil commitment near the end of his 23-year sentence for an attempted abduction.

But a psychologist who examined Rodriguez in 2001 decided against recommending he be civilly committed and a special board concurred, according to Bill Donnay, interim leader of the program that deals with sex offenders and community notification.

Rodriguez ``had not shown any indications of an inability to control sexual impulses'' and had a ``very good history of behavior during incarceration,'' Donnay said. Those factors played into their decision not to seek continued confinement.

Upon his release, the only requirement was that he register as a sex offender and provide authorities with his address, said Corrections Commissioner Joan Fabian.

``We can't put surveillance on, we can't supervise, we have no authority to do that if they are not under some kind of official status,'' said Fabian, who took pains to note that the review of Rodriguez's standing occurred before the current administration came in.

``If I had seen this case before, yeah, I sure would have looked at it and looked to refer it for civil commitment,'' she said.

Repeat rapists and pedophiles who have served prison terms and been declared sexually dangerous by judges are confined at secure psychiatric hospitals in Moose Lake and St. Peter in the Minnesota Sexual Offender Program. People in the program may be confined indefinitely.

Placing someone in the program is a complex process. Inmates who reach a certain score on an initial test are then interviewed by a psychologist.

The psychologist decides whether to forward the case to a three-person committee within the Corrections Department, which then would decide whether to send the case to a county attorney - who then would choose whether or not to seek a civil commitment.

Of 3,400 people who completed their sentences for felony sex crimes in the last 15 years, 299 had their cases referred to a county attorney for possible commitment. Of that number, county attorneys requested 185 commitments. Courts granted 156 commitments.

Level 3 sex offenders - the most serious classification - typically meet the initial score to be interviewed by a psychologist, Donnay said. Minnesota has 115 people who fall into Rodriguez's category of being a Level 3 offender released into the community, he said.

Fabian said her agency will start referring cases of all Level 3 offenders to county attorneys for possible civil commitment.

From downtown Grand Forks it looks like about 25 miles to Dolores Rodriguez ( his mother ) home at 210 Adams Street in Crookston Minnessota.

Also Hwy 2 runs beside his home as well as a railroad track.

The Red Lake River also runs north to south from Grand Forks to Crookston (although Crookston is more south east

Johnny asked: "Where did he work? What time?"

I read that he was not employed (big surprise).

They said they are concentrating the search seven mile from the mall ? which direction?

The River was not frozen at the time of Dru's abduction, and they are cutting holes in the ice checking the river.

Was she talking on the cell phone at the time of the abduction?

Which rest area? Most likely routes to and from Adams street to the mall?

How much did she weigh? 130lbs

He (159lbs) couldn't have carried her far..........

She was "talking" to her boyfriend at 5:00pm sounds like a conversation that ended abruptly. She had went shopping after work and the items were found in or around the car. Her drivers door was locked? was he in the car? or got around to the passengers side? Did that door lock work? The car had previous damage and sexual offenders are known to dis-engage door locks.

Was the 2002 maroon car his or his mothers? Where'd he get the money? Possibly working for cash?

Her weight was given at 130. If he weighs 159, I wouldn't think he could carry her far at all...Her brother is on FoxNews cable now

Wow! Fisher is about half way to Crookston from Grand Forks and the Burlington Northern Railroad runs parallel with Highway 2 all the way from Grand Fork through Fisher to Crookston! I guess the rest are is off Hwy 2.

Also it was getting dark about the time he would get to Fisher and that would increase his since of safety.

Originally posted by Storm
Her weight was given at 130. If he weighs 159, I wouldn't think he could carry her far at all...Her brother is on FoxNews cable now

If the photos of him on the news, etc. are recent, there is no way he is only 160 lbs. I am 150 lbs. and 5'4" and I am no where near that size!

"Her weight was given at 130. If he weighs 159, I wouldn't think he could carry her far at all"

Its amazing though the strength people have when their adrenaline is pumping. From the definition in Webster's, adrenaline is a "hormone secreted by the adrenal glands or synthesized for use as a drug." Its not to far of a stretch to believe he could have carried or dragged her a good distance, what's more likely though is that he didn't have to do either. He took the cowards way and used a weapon or verbal threats to gain her compliance.

The Laura Recovery Center and Bob Wolcutt have statistics on such things....and usually bodies are found within a couple hundred feet of a road way, and usually just off the road .....many factors come into play...time constraints, concealment, nerves, surrounding area, pre-meditation etc. (media attention)

This is such a terrible thing and I also hope she is found alive. My thoughts are with her family tonight.

I am not familiar with the area at all, but I was curious to see where Crookston is in relation to the first place they centered the 2nd cell phone call around. Looking back at the article, that call was centered in the Fisher, MN area. I looked on the map and this town appears to be midway between Grand Forks and Crookston along Hwy 2. I'm not sure how this corresponds to where the river in question is, but someone else may know.

While I think Dru is deceased, I hold out hope that she is alive! For some reason, when I heard about the call placed a few hours after she disappeared, I assumed that it was her abductor. Again, not sure why. Now, I'm thinking, what if it was Dru trying to call for help? That is so heartbreaking! and if true, then she was alive a few hours after her disappearance. So sad.
Misty

Originally posted by LvsAMystry
I am not familiar with the area at all, but I was curious to see where Crookston is in relation to the first place they centered the 2nd cell phone call around. Looking back at the article, that call was centered in the Fisher, MN area. I looked on the map and this town appears to be midway between Grand Forks and Crookston along Hwy 2. I'm not sure how this corresponds to where the river in question is, but someone else may know.

There are actually two rivers - the Red River and the Red Lake River. The Red River is the natural boundary between North Dakota and Minnesota. The Red Lake River branches off from the Red River at Grand Forks/East Grand Forks. Here is a link to a map that shows the relation of the rivers to Grand Forks, Fisher and Crookston.

http://www.crk.umn.edu/nature-northwest/redlakewebsite/CanoeMaps.htm

Yakwoman

Originally posted by Yakwoman
1980 attack victim tells her story.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/7400082.htm

Ya know, I was reading this link and one yesterday from the same site, the irony is just amazing, the "personal ads" JUMP out at me, on the bottom left of the page, the messages and pictures these people post just make me want to scream, especially while reading about a tragedy such as what happened to Dru. Don't these people get it yet that they are playing with FIRE??!!! And why can't the web site leave that crap off there especially on an article about this type of thing!!

I'll get off my soap box now. LOL

Dru's Mom will be on MSNBC momentarily. She is as beautiful as her daughter. My heart breaks for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME