ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP young man. Your life ended way too soon.

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/updated-body-found-confirmed-be-missing-ndsu-freshman

When asked if the site just south of campus remained Bearson’s last known location, Vettel said he could not comment on that and referred questions to Moorhead police.

Jacobson said he could not comment on Bearson’s last known location. He also declined to say if foul play is suspected or how the body could have ended up at the RV lot, where an area was taped off and being guarded by police on Tuesday.

Jacobson said the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension was expected to bring a mobile crime lab to the scene by Tuesday evening to help with processing evidence in the death investigation.

I'd be really interested in knowing who corroborated that Tom returned to the party *after* the tweet was sent.

I'm sad to see this update :( I'm glad he was found though. So I see above that LE don't believe foul play was a factor - possible suicide? Or just an accident? I wonder if we will hear of the autopsy results.

RIP Tom. Gone way too soon! My heart goes out to your family.

I really don't get a bad vibe from the tweet, and think that it might be being over analysed. These guys were freshmen at University in a new town in a new state. They could quite easily have become genuinely lost. I think the "we're going to die" thing was a joke. Sort of like, if we don't find our way back soon we are doomed, that sort of thing.

Why would "Jake", a high school friend of Tommy's be stupid enough to send a public tweet saying "IT'S JAKE" if he had done something to Tommy? He would havd just tweeted as Tommy wouldn't he?

I really don't get a bad vibe from the tweet, and think that it might be being over analysed. These guys were freshmen at University in a new town in a new state. They could quite easily have become genuinely lost. I think the "we're going to die" thing was a joke. Sort of like, if we don't find our way back soon we are doomed, that sort of thing.

Why would "Jake", a high school friend of Tommy's be stupid enough to send a public tweet saying "IT'S JAKE" if he had done something to Tommy? He would havd just tweeted as Tommy wouldn't he?

Here is one theory he would say "This is Jake" on the text that could very well be NOT true but throwing it out there:

JW wanted his roommate CM to come pick them up. CM didn't know Tom, so if JW was going to contact his roommate on an account that wasn't his he needed to identify himself as far as who he was. Actually, it's even possible that Tom wrote that text and just said "this is Jake" so that CM, who he didn't know, would know who they were and JW maybe have been standing next to him and saying something like "just twitter so-and-so and put 'this is jake' so they know who it is." Obviously if they were going to his house everyone would know they were going there together anyway.

So if JW did create that text, how could it be sinister? Well, maybe it was supposed to be an alibi? Maybe he wanted to set the stage that "getting lost" was something that could easily happen to Tom, because otherwise you'd have people saying nonstop "How could he have gotten lost and so far away getting back to his dorm 6 blocks away?" You don't have people saying that because of that text. Also, if JW was trying to do that, he got a super bonus thanks to the media (which personally I may have anticipated :p) because due to the reporting and casual nature in which people read the articles you have a confused public who thinks that he was lost and wandering behind Menards while he sent that text because the media wasn't very clear about reporting that aspect.

It's certainly possible he was under the influence and just got lost looking for another party, or just plain got lost. One thing that bothers me is how did he manage to wander THAT far if he died of alcohol poisoning? It was many miles. Did he take a bottle along with him when he left? Did he have more alcohol to drink? I understand it can hit you later but you're not going to convince me it took 6 miles or whatever it was for the alcohol to hit him. It is possible that Jake was using the phone earlier because he was drunk already, in which case also: if he was that drunk how did he walk that far. I haven't known people who had lethal levels of alcohol in them who are able to walk 6 miles, at least without another kind of alcohol on them.

I saw that there is indeed a twitter page for JW it's just not under his name and just more of a nickname. It doesn't seems suspicious at all, and he has been posting things about trying to find Tom, so there's that. Will just have to wait to find out more I guess and I would hope that police are looking into personal drama that potentially could have been going on and that kind of thing.

Indeed. I will be astounded if this all happened under Tom's free will and power.

Once again, every parents worst nightmare. I hope the police and forensic team will be able to provide answers to what happened. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. I just sent my boy off to college. These last few threads are difficult.

The news station gives permission to share this information:

http://wjon.com/investigation-continues-into-tom-bearsons-death/

From what I'm reading it doesn't look like they still maintain there was no, "Foul Play".

Hmmm---I'm going to have to disagree with you there IB. From your link the Moorhead police said they are trying to look into how he died. That tells me he didn't die from a gun shot wound, stabbing, or beating, or it would be obvious how he died. Alcoholic poisoning and people who panicked comes to mind. That in itself may be foul play but not the kind we normally mean.

Hmmm---I'm going to have to disagree with you there IB. From your link the Moorhead police said they are trying to look into how he died. That tells me he didn't die from a gun shot wound, stabbing, or beating, or it would be obvious how he died. Alcoholic poisoning and people who panicked comes to mind. That in itself may be foul play but not the kind we normally mean.

Wow that's a really good point "people who panicked." It is possible someone just moved him, I hadn't thought about that yet. The only thing that makes me think that wouldn't be the case though is that CM has acted so innocent to me this whole time. I really don't think that he knew anything about what happened after Tom left. And if he had fatal alcohol poisoning, how did he walk over 6 miles? Unless maybe he had more alcohol with him? Even if he took some shots right before he left there is no way in my mind that he walked that far, but I'd defer to the experts here too maybe it is possible? Don't know.

Wow that's a really good point "people who panicked." It is possible someone just moved him, I hadn't thought about that yet. The only thing that makes me think that wouldn't be the case though is that CM has acted so innocent to me this whole time. I really don't think that he knew anything about what happened after Tom left. And if he had fatal alcohol poisoning, how did he walk over 6 miles? Unless maybe he had more alcohol with him? Even if he took some shots right before he left there is no way in my mind that he walked that far, but I'd defer to the experts here too maybe it is possible? Don't know.

No I don't think he walked. I think it's possible someone who was with him realized he had consumed too much alcohol and possibly considered taking him to a hospital. Maybe he stopped breathing and they panicked and drove to a secluded area and just dropped him off, fearing they were going to be in a lot of trouble and not using any kind of sound judgement because they had been drinking themselves. The sad thing is, in North Dakota you cannot be charged for taking someone who is a minor to the hospital because you think they may need medical attention from drinking too much. Nor can the person you bring in be charged. That's specifically designed to make sure no one hesitates to bring someone to the hospital because they fear repercussions because they are under age drinkers.

I could be way off on what happened here because this all sounds so strange. Someone in LE made a statement about looking at what he was wearing and what he had with him to determine how he got to where he was found. What the heck does that mean? I'm going to rule out he was wearing a parachute so that's not the answer.

I'm banking on this baseball team someone had mentioned Tom possibly hanging out with after he left the last place he was seen as to how he may have ended up in Moorhead. There's two colleges within blocks of each other about a mile or so (maybe less) from where he was found. I said in an earlier post that I lived quite close to where he was found about a year ago and have driven through that exact area at night and it's eerily dark without street lights and its all industrial style businesses with pretty much zero merchant store fronts. There's no reason to be screwing around in that area after dark and you'd almost have to have purposely went back there as it's not on a main street. With that being said you'd probably also run into very little traffic back there too. (I am very familiar with that area if anyone has any questions)

The alcohol poisoning and people panicked is very much a possibility which may be why they have downright declined to say exactly how they came to the conclusions to search in Moorhead in the first place except for the cell phone ping data. I learned quite fast in college that while I was with some buddies that I "knew" these weren't my friends that I grew up with and when the crap hits the fan they're not quite as loyal either.

You can just about bet one of the first things they did was power up that phone and see what was on it. Nowadays people live their entire lives on those things. Some more information will come out eventually, I am sure.

I really hope they find something. I was looking at some pictures of the area he was found in and the RV place has a sign that says dog on the premises, so you would think they would also have some kind of surveillance cameras as well.... Hopefully they can find something! This young man had so much ahead of him!

I really hope they find something. I was looking at some pictures of the area he was found in and the RV place has a sign that says dog on the premises, so you would think they would also have some kind of surveillance cameras as well.... Hopefully they can find something! This young man had so much ahead of him!

Being a local I will shoot you straight, I high doubt a "junkyard dog" was on the premises. A dog on the premises has been mentioned twice now in this thread. It's more to scare people away from possibly entering, in this part of the country it's essentially unheard of because of liability issues.

I can go check if you'd like but the scene is probably hot for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli