ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not blaming the victim & not trying to pass judgements but I'm wondering if TB turned into a different path once high school was over? Maybe he became someone different than the popular jock basketball player during the summer before he started college. And maybe he stayed on this path? I still can't believe basketball was no longer his life & hobby. What filled that void? Did he care about being popular with his new college buddies & if so, was he hellbent on gaining that by being the risk-taker bad boy?
It is important to contemplate considering the circumstances of his death & the possibilities surrounding it.
Yes, the newer buddies have barely peeped a word--almost like they resigned themselves to "bad things happen" approach.
His older buddies showed a bit more concern.
I think there's a lot that these kids know but aren't necessarily speaking about to the parents.
I am offering this hypothetical & psychological possibility only to invite respectful dialogue about TB. The truth is important .
Was TB simply at the wrong place, the wrong time & was a victim of circumstance? If so, there's a killer on the loose.
But due to the deafening silence, I'd say there is much more to TB's story & it might be a lesson for others.
Someone violently murdered this young man.
I hope that judgements, embarassment, get taken out of the equation so that justice can be served & young people can learn from it.
Sometimes the truth isn't very pretty but it must be told.
All moo & hypothesis.

RIP TB. May the truth prevail.
Thank you for your post Atasteofhoney. I could not agree more with your hypothetical analysis. No doubt it hurts Tom’s family and friends when they read reports of Tom’s drinking and partying during the time leading up to his death. But unfortunately it is what was going on in his life at the time and by no means does it erase nor shadow Tom’s accomplishments and integrity. Living in Sartell I can tell you Tom was known as a very talented, good kid from a good family. As parents we try to instill strong values and good ethics as we raise our kids. We think they know right from wrong and hope they will use good judgment and make good decisions. But unfortunately with all their good teachings some don’t resist temptation to head down a path that may lead them into dangerous territory. No doubt most kids experience the freedom to party once at college but we don’t expect them to wind up murdered. Something happened in a very short time, I can’t help but wonder if he was heading down a dangerous path.

I read (don't have a link) that Tom had a shoulder injury. That usually halts a basketball career.
Just because he didn't pursue basketball in college doesn't mean he turned bad.

Edited to add the link:
http://usatodayhss.com/2014/boys-athlete-of-the-week-tom-bearson-sartell

The same link is an interview with him, mentions his college thoughts.

Absolutely excellent.

The only person(s) responsible for Tom's death are the ones who murdered him. Simple as that. I looked at his photo on his obituary this morning and his photo just makes me shake my head. What a handsome young man on the cusp of a new life as an adult. This is senseless.

An excellent book titled, "Blaming the Victim" by William Ryan, that I think was first editioned in 1973 has a section that I've always held in mind when reading about victims:

He writes: "Victim-blaming is cloaked in kindness and concern, and bears all the trappings and statistical furbelows of scientism; it is obscured by a perfumed haze of humanitarianism. In observing the process of blaming the victim, one tends to be confused and disoriented because those who practice this art display a deep concern for the victims that is quite genuine."

In summary this can be compared to when someone is talking to me about a sensitive subject and the preface it by saying, "No offense, BUT..."

It reminds me of the man who ran over his wife to try to kill her and then was angry at HER because this event made him late for work. Of this I know first hand.

Tom Bearson is not responsible for his own death. The events related to his behavior days and weeks before are reported in the news, in my opinion, to add color and heat to the article and make it more sensational. SHAME on the reporters for highlighting that information rather than concentrating on the FACT that there is someone or some people out there that actually murdered a young man!

Absolutely excellent.

The only person(s) responsible for Tom's death are the ones who murdered him. Simple as that. I looked at his photo on his obituary this morning and his photo just makes me shake my head. What a handsome young man on the cusp of a new life as an adult. This is senseless.

I respectfully disagree....life isn't that simple.
But we are allowed to speculate.
Things aren't always black & white. Sometimes there's lots of gray areas & that is why we sleuth.
No one deserves to be murdered (& it's sad that I even have to clarify that) but there is such a thing as risk-taking behaviors & none of us know anything for a fact here.
Critical thinking is what we apply, right.

RIP TB

An excellent book titled, "Blaming the Victim" by William Ryan, that I think was first editioned in 1973 has a section that I've always held in mind when reading about victims:

He writes: "Victim-blaming is cloaked in kindness and concern, and bears all the trappings and statistical furbelows of scientism; it is obscured by a perfumed haze of humanitarianism. In observing the process of blaming the victim, one tends to be confused and disoriented because those who practice this art display a deep concern for the victims that is quite genuine."

In summary this can be compared to when someone is talking to me about a sensitive subject and the preface it by saying, "No offense, BUT..."

It reminds me of the man who ran over his wife to try to kill her and then was angry at HER because this event made him late for work. Of this I know first hand.

Tom Bearson is not responsible for his own death. The events related to his behavior days and weeks before are reported in the news, in my opinion, to add color and heat to the article and make it more sensational. SHAME on the reporters for highlighting that information rather than concentrating on the FACT that there is someone or some people out there that actually murdered a young man!

Worth a second post just to emphasize the mentality behind victim blaming.
Blaming Tom for walking late alone, taking risks, drinking in excess is exactly along the same lines as blaming rape victims for the way they dress.

Ultimately the truth is as simple as this, the person that actually does the murder is responsible for the murder. They are responsible for not being able to control themselves enough to NOT murder someone. This is a basic FACT. It's exactly what separates a murderer from a non-murderer. Very simple.

Examples of thinking otherwise would be 1). Hitting someone and blaming them for hurting your hand. 2). Stabbing someone and blaming them for bleeding on the carpet. 3). Shaking a baby for crying. 4). Purposely driving your car into someone's car and then blaming them for the dents in your fender.

Blaming the victim for their actions in any fashion is the very first thin layer in the foundation for establishing JUSTIFICATION for abuse and murder. (That is a fundamental truth known to any defense lawyer, if you don't believe me call one up today).

The two issues MUST be separated by an enlightened society in order to bring about TRUE CHANGE.

A). A person is murdered in a case like this due to the inability of a homicidal prone person to control themselves.

Consider this scenario to clarify this fact.

I meet Tom on the street at 3AM and I acknowledge this in my mind, "Oh there is someone else walking" and I just keep going. A homicidally prone person would begin interaction with him and that would end in a murder. The DIFFERENCE IS NOT WHAT THE VICTIM WAS DOING. The difference is the person he encountered.

This is completely different in understanding what you SHOULD be doing to prevent this type of thing in your own personal safety. That is a completely different issue than what I am describing here.

(The ONLY exception to this is self-defense. Google the degrees in murder and all your questions shall be answered).

Worth a second post just to emphasize the mentality behind victim blaming.
Blaming Tom for walking late alone, taking risks, drinking in excess is exactly along the same lines as blaming rape victims for the way they dress.

Ultimately the truth is as simple as this, the person that actually does the murder is responsible for the murder. They are responsible for not being able to control themselves enough to NOT murder someone. This is a basic FACT. It's exactly what separates a murderer from a non-murderer. Very simple.

I agree and I think your point should be very obvious to everyone here.
So what have you developed as a theory about TB? What do you think happened?
What were you able to sleuth?

Here's a few more examples to clarify how victim blaming needs to stop.

A). Driving a car is a VERY high risk activity. So much so it's evidenced by the fact that in most states it's a legal requirement to carry insurance on your car just to drive it out in public! If I'm driving my car, observing the laws, behaving in a legal fashion and someone runs a stop sign and T-bones me, then by the victim blaming mentality, I then am responsible for this accident because I was participating in a high risk activity.

Another Example:

The United States of America ranks #1 in the WORLD for high school shootings. This then is a VERY risky place to be in simply by the facts that are known to exist. This isn't something I'm just making up, these are the facts. By any stretch then sending kids to school each day is a high risk activity.

So if someone comes in and shoots my kids while they are at school, are THEY TO BLAME?? Because they were participating in a high risk activity after all.

You can see where it's just a matter of changing the way a person thinks about an event.

Victim blaming is NEVER ok.

Here's a few more examples to clarify how victim blaming needs to stop.

A). Driving a car is a VERY high risk activity. So much so it's evidenced by the fact that in most states it's a legal requirement to carry insurance on your car just to drive it out in public! If I'm driving my car, observing the laws, behaving in a legal fashion and someone runs a stop sign and T-bones me, then by the victim blaming mentality, I then am responsible for this accident because I was participating in a high risk activity.

Another Example:

The United States of America ranks #1 in the WORLD for high school shootings. This then is a VERY risky place to be in simply by the facts that are known to exist. This isn't something I'm just making up, these are the facts. By any stretch then sending kids to school each day is a high risk activity.

So if someone comes in and shoots my kids while they are at school, are THEY TO BLAME?? Because they were participating in a high risk activity after all.

You can see where it's just a matter of changing the way a person thinks about an event.

Victim blaming is NEVER ok.

Tom Bearson was reported as leaving a party at approx. 3:40 AM on the morning of Saturday, September 20th, 2014. Beyond that the only people that know what happened are him and those responsible for his death. We don't know for sure if he walked, I haven't read an interview so far that states someone reporting, "I saw Tom heading northeast on 8th street". We don't know if he went out of the house and got in a car with people and rode away. We simply do not know.

The news article from the friend's mother where she writes something to the event of his mistake was walking alone and trusting his surroundings DOES shed some light on what MAY be known. We still would only be assuming this information to be true because we don't know where she got it from and we are assuming that because she is close to the family that she would have gotten this from them. Still~since she doesn't clarify this source of information in her writing all of it still is an assumption.

So at that, the gap in between when last seen and when found is a complete and total mystery. It's anybody's guess.

Anybody able to provide a link to the alleged shoulder injury of TB? It may be important.

TIA

If I were to develop any sort of direction in this case, it is my humble opinion that of all the tweets available to the general public, THIS tweet alone is the one I would focus my attention on: "not that I know of. He did mention maybe going somewhere with some baseball players but I'm not sure"

This has been repeatedly reported in MSM as being the tweet of Cody Mead @CodyMead8. https://storify.com/robbeer/missing-ndsu-student-tommy-bearson

Tom Bearson was reported as leaving a party at approx. 3:40 AM on the morning of Saturday, September 20th, 2014. Beyond that the only people that know what happened are him and those responsible for his death. We don't know for sure if he walked, I haven't read an interview so far that states someone reporting, "I saw Tom heading northeast on 8th street". We don't know if he went out of the house and got in a car with people and rode away. We simply do not know.

The news article from the friend's mother where she writes something to the event of his mistake was walking alone and trusting his surroundings DOES shed some light on what MAY be known. We still would only be assuming this information to be true because we don't know where she got it from and we are assuming that because she is close to the family that she would have gotten this from them. Still~since she doesn't clarify this source of information in her writing all of it still is an assumption.

So at that, the gap in between when last seen and when found is a complete and total mystery. It's anybody's guess.

Are there any research or statistics out there that indicate the leading causes of violent homicides of college age males?

If I were to develop any sort of direction in this case, it is my humble opinion that of all the tweets available to the general public, THIS tweet alone is the one I would focus my attention on: "not that I know of. He did mention maybe going somewhere with some baseball players but I'm not sure"

I tend to agree with you there, IB. I've spent hours reviewing tweets (before many of them disappeared) & they are very telling. I'm sure LE has been reviewing them all.
As I've stated before & IMHO, there is a lack of continued concern in many of the tweete but it could be due to their age/maturity levels.

Moo

I read (don't have a link) that Tom had a shoulder injury. That usually halts a basketball career.
Just because he didn't pursue basketball in college doesn't mean he turned bad.

Edited to add the link:

The same link is an interview with him, mentions his college thoughts.

Amanda; there is so much information to read through! Difficult to keep it all straight but I did find this article which clearly mentions his shoulder injury.

"...but Bearson was out with a shoulder injury."
This article was dated February 2014, so easily this injury could have been long standing.

Thank you again Amanda for all the work you do on here. All your archives really help a lot to keep things together!

The shoulder injury was a reference as to why he didn't play one particular game. Period.
In the article, TB does not give a reason why he wasn't going to pursue basketball in college.
It would be a stretch to insinuate anything more, IMO

Usually a shoulder injury lasts more than a week. It can be debilitating.

But that is neither here nor there. Tom Bearson didn't die of a shoulder injury.

My post was just a "maybe that is why he didn't play college basketball" nothing more. Let's move on.

Scott Diamond was the Judicial officer not the arresting officer in Tom Bearson's case. Dawson was the Judicial Officer for CM, not the arresting officer.

why'd he feel the need to continue hanging out with same people who were getting "sloshed" and drinking constantly after he got a DUI. Maybe one of the reasons the haven't released toxicology is because the parents requested not to because it showed he was putting himself in danger. Peer pressure is to blame for that though i think, no doubt he wanted to be one of the cool kids and fit in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway