ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the accidental hit-and-run by a drunk driver angle is very possible. Makes sense in so many ways. Car full of frat guys hits him and they can tell they have probably killed him. They're all drunk and want to avoid police. Because they likely live in the neighborhood where they just hit him (lots of frat houses near the trap right?) they also want to move the body away from there so they can draw attention away from that area.
We don't know the extent of the supposed "defensive injuries" and since LE has said so little of what happened we certainly can't rule out that scenario. Not to mention that since so many of the details are not known even LE may not know if it was an accidental hit-and-run or if he was purposely run down and dragged by someone. It would be hard to tell unless they had a suspect in mind. Since it took a few days for LE to find the body the perps would have had time to fix or destroy the car. Not to mention that it would be difficult for LE to get a listing of all cars registered to people in the neighborhood...the houses are mostly rented out, residents are mostly students who would have registered their car in another city/state, some cars registered to parents, lots of car-sharing between roommates, etc.. But I think the idea of an accidental hit-and-run is as credible as any theory I have heard. Also goes along with the idea that LE has not made it seem like the community is in any serious danger.

Thanks for this and your other posts, bizzle2! You've expanded on a lot of what I was thinking when I wrote my previous post. I'm still very open-minded when it comes to this case, but sometimes I think the simplest explanation can be the correct one. And I really feel that everything we know so far could fit this scenario.

This.

It's like they're not concerned HOW he was murdered or WHO committed the violent homicide....it's just a reason to get a tattoo? Where is the public outrage & concern? Where's the effort to solve this heinous crime?

And about tattoos---I could care less

Respectfully, they're grieving kids, and they probably want to remember their friend for the joy he brought into their lives rather than the awful way in which he was taken from them. Grief and shock are terrible emotions, of which many of his friends have likely never experienced before. I personally see this as a loving tribute and don't see the benefit of judging these young people because they are acting one way and not another over the death of their friend. Calling his death "just a reason to get a tattoo" seems unduly harsh. JMO.

I think the accidental hit-and-run by a drunk driver angle is very possible. Makes sense in so many ways. Car full of frat guys hits him and they can tell they have probably killed him. They're all drunk and want to avoid police. Because they likely live in the neighborhood where they just hit him (lots of frat houses near the trap right?) they also want to move the body away from there so they can draw attention away from that area.
We don't know the extent of the supposed "defensive injuries" and since LE has said so little of what happened we certainly can't rule out that scenario. Not to mention that since so many of the details are not known even LE may not know if it was an accidental hit-and-run or if he was purposely run down and dragged by someone. It would be hard to tell unless they had a suspect in mind. Since it took a few days for LE to find the body the perps would have had time to fix or destroy the car. Not to mention that it would be difficult for LE to get a listing of all cars registered to people in the neighborhood...the houses are mostly rented out, residents are mostly students who would have registered their car in another city/state, some cars registered to parents, lots of car-sharing between roommates, etc.. But I think the idea of an accidental hit-and-run is as credible as any theory I have heard. Also goes along with the idea that LE has not made it seem like the community is in any serious danger.

I think two (or more) can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Who would you assume the frat guys to be? What fraternity?

It's like they're not concerned HOW he was murdered or WHO committed the violent homicide....it's just a reason to get a tattoo? Where is the public outrage & concern? Where's the effort to solve this heinous crime?

Seriously? Do you know first hand how his family and friends feel? You say they ought to be screaming from rooftops? They ought to solve this?

They are not the ones who solve murders. We are not the ones who solve murders either. Just because we make willy-nilly posts on a crime forum does NOT make us SLEUTHS/DETECTIVES. It is just a name, websleuths.

I am so sick and tired of bashing this family and the friends group for what they are not doing.

THEY are GRIEVING, and THAT is what they need to be doing.

Fargo LE has Never made a statement relating to the cause of death. No one will know until they release it. They continue to say they do not have a suspect and no leads... they also have stated anyone with questions should refer to moorhead PD. (Not the FBI) But all of the above agencies blame the media for not asking for a press release.. still confused why his parents remain mute. If my child died like this.... I would be screaming from every roof top I could find for justice.

I completely agree about his parents and have thought that saying nothing at all is very, well, different. It's like they don't even care - I mean, I know that's not true but that's the feeling it gives. Why wouldn't they want the publicity for the sake of justice and keeping the case fresh in peoples' minds.

Seriously? Do you know first hand how his family and friends feel? You say they ought to be screaming from rooftops? They ought to solve this?

They are not the ones who solve murders. We are not the ones who solve murders either. Just because we make willy-nilly posts on a crime forum does NOT make us SLEUTHS/DETECTIVES. It is just a name
I am so sick and tired of bashing this family and the friends group for what they are not doing.

Whoa! I think everyone is entitled to express their opinion. You may not agree, with all due respect, none of us know what the family knows, or how we would react in the same situation. I don't think it's necessary to rip someone apart for not thinking the same way you do. I may, or may not agree with you but I'll give you the respect to not berate you in public.

Unless, of course, the family already pretty much knows, and LE pretty much knows, and therefore there is no need to talk (answering my own question ^^^^). I remember an earlier poster who said he/she was from the Sartel area and knew the family and said back then the family already does know COD.

They are not the ones who solve murders. We are not the ones who solve murders either. Just because we make willy-nilly posts on a crime forum does NOT make us SLEUTHS/DETECTIVES. It is just a name, websleuths.

Amanda----his friends got tatts, nothing about the family. And public outrage is just that---from the public.
Please don't infer or misinterpret my words.

Respectfully, they're grieving kids, and they probably want to remember their friend for the joy he brought into their lives rather than the awful way in which he was taken from them. Grief and shock are terrible emotions, of which many of his friends have likely never experienced before. I personally see this as a loving tribute and don't see the benefit of judging these young people because they are acting one way and not another over the death of their friend. Calling his death "just a reason to get a tattoo" seems unduly harsh. JMO.

So what's your theory about TB's violent homicide?

RIP TB

Please note the question marks in my post that you replied to. Question marks means juggling thoughts, speculating, applying critical thinking. It is designed to generate conversation & further sleuthing which is what I believe we truly do here on WS because we feel justice is important to the victim & their families.
I've been spending many hours here because I feel bad for what happened to TB & I don't want his case (or this thread to go cold). So I post away & ask ** questions**. Hypothesize.

I never "called" anyone anything. That's not my style. But I would like people to contribute here.

Moo

Please note the question marks in my post that you replied to. Question marks means juggling thoughts, speculating, applying critical thinking. It is designed to generate conversation & further sleuthing which is what I believe we truly do here on WS because we feel justice is important to the victim & their families.
I've been spending many hours here because I feel bad for what happened to TB & I don't want his case (or this thread to go cold). So I post away & ask ** questions**. Hypothesize.

I never "called" anyone anything. That's not my style. But I would like people to contribute here.

Moo
I understand what you mean ....so many thoughts and questions run through your mind. It is challenging at times putting your thoughts into words (or in the form of a question). Certainly it doesn't mean you are trying to be offensive but rather wanting to hear how others perceive it. I didn't find your post to be judgmental or harsh..everyone views things differently and that is why we are here, to share ideas and thoughts.

I understand what you mean ....so many thoughts and questions run through your mind. It is challenging at times putting your thoughts into words (or in the form of a question). Certainly it doesn't mean you are trying to be offensive but rather wanting to hear how others perceive it. I didn't find your post to be judgmental or harsh..everyone views things differently and that is why we are here, to share ideas and thoughts.

Thanks, Onamission....that's exactly right.

I'll always look at everything from a psychological perspective first which apparently may not be others preferred contribution. Other posters will add their own experiences, while others lend their knowledge in the realm of technology. And others are good at creating timelines. I don't think it's anyone's place to say who's contribution is more or less valuable than another's, iykwim?

Of course, we all feel sorrow for the victims & their families. We all contribute the best we can to help & bring about justice.
That's why I love WS.

RIP TB

LE have consistently said that releasing too much information to the public could compromise the investigation, and that once the final results arrive (which I'm sure they have), that police can withhold them if doing so will help the investigation. This appears to me to have been a preemptive plan from the start. I would guess that sometimes cause of death is with-held because only certain individual(s) would have that information, and if exact cause were to leak, then it would be investigated how exactly that or those individuals came to know that information. Perhaps the exact cause of death is somewhat unusual in this case.
Can any of you long-standing sleuthers out there tell me how often these statements are made to the press in other cases that you have followed? I haven't been on this site for years, like some of you. Just thinking back on other homicide investigations I've read or heard about, in my memory it isn't REAL common to make those exact statements repeatedly.

Can any of you long-standing sleuthers out there tell me how often these statements are made to the press in other cases that you have followed? I haven't been on this site for years, like some of you. Just thinking back on other homicide investigations I've read or heard about, in my memory it isn't REAL common to make those exact statements repeatedly. What do you all think?

I don't understand the seemingly lack of fear in the tweets that have ensued since then. Unless, they know what situation brought this about, and how to avoid it themselves. If it were drug related, wasn't it not that long ago that tweets were being generated that appeared to still involve that? Or was it just continued partying (drinking)? I feel like the statement by officials stating that the general public needn't be concerned for their safety says something right there (like if you're minding your P's & Q's that is).
Hopefully, if this is drug related, SOMEONE knows SOMETHING that could help ascertain who may be responsible and brought to justice. Could very possibly be a dangerous situation for that SOMEONE though. Hopefully, LE understands that, and assists however possible. Helping find a killer should definitely overshadow an illegal drug interaction, and no one deserves to be murdered.

Can any of you long-standing sleuthers out there tell me how often these statements are made to the press in other cases that you have followed? I haven't been on this site for years, like some of you. Just thinking back on other homicide investigations I've read or heard about, in my memory it isn't REAL common to make those exact statements repeatedly. What do you all think?
Good question. I have heard it said before, more just in general news stories. Could it be they don't want to tip their hand and say to much because it might give the person(s) responsible an edge? Could it be they LE has or knows something that only the person(s) responsible would know and they will hope to discover it in the investigation....ha I am having a hard time putting my thoughts into words.

I don't understand the seemingly lack of fear in the tweets that have ensued since then. Unless, they know what situation brought this about, and how to avoid it themselves. If it were drug related, wasn't it not that long ago that tweets were being generated that appeared to still involve that? Or was it just continued partying (drinking)? I feel like the statement by officials stating that the general public needn't be concerned for their safety says something right there (like if you're minding your P's & Q's that is).
Hopefully, if this is drug related, SOMEONE knows SOMETHING that could help ascertain who may be responsible and brought to justice. Could very possibly be a dangerous situation for that SOMEONE though. Hopefully, LE understands that, and assists however possible. Helping find a killer should definitely overshadow an illegal drug interaction, and no one deserves to be murdered.
Do they have their sights set on someone? Are they watching over the person(s) who may have provided information to see if the person(s) responsible make contact with them? But geesh it has been 2 months now.

I wonder if LE ever "set up" scenarios to help provide safety for witnesses until everything is gathered? Example: Back to trap story and PF snapchat.

The car of frat boys hitting TB and killing him and then moving the body for concealment is plausible.

However; the following things would have to happen in order for this to remain a logical possibility:

1). The driver of the car would have to override the reflexive instinct to slam on the brakes upon impact. (Unless there was intent).

2). All of the occupants of the car would have to simultaneously and immediately have the exact same thought of covering this up. (Unless there was intent).

3). Every single occupant of the vehicle would have to remain verbally silent in the face of a very tragic situation. No exclamations, no cursing, no dialing of the cell phone, no anger projected at each other. Complete self control under extreme duress in the heat of the moment, at college age.

4). All of the occupants would have to have the ability to determine and triage within seconds that the impact caused death and they needed to clean this scene.

5). They would have to clean the scene to utmost cleanliness to avoid obvious detection.

6). The accident itself would have to have made little to no sound.

I am concluding this while operating under the assumption that TB, had he been hit by a car of frat boys, would have had this happen shortly after leaving the last known reported address.

Removing these assumptions, the possibility exists that he got in a car, rode with unknown people to a different location unknown to us, and was accidentally or with intent, hit with a car in that location.

However please refer to one of my previous links concerning the medical examiner's criteria on the labeling of a death as 'Homicidal Violence'. One could easily understand that the coroner, being a highly trained individual would be able, at autopsy to determine whether a vehicle crash with sufficient enough force to cause injury serious enough to result in death would have happened as opposed to the labeling of 'Homicidal Violence'. It is for this reason alone I must discount and dismiss the idea that he was killed by a car hitting him.

I need someone's help here understanding the police dog.

I've had dogs off and on but don't know a lot about professional type dogs. My own dog is a poodle/yorkie cross so quite a distance from any type of police dog or searching type dog.

What about a cadaver dog? Could a cadaver dog be brought in to the area where TB was last seen leaving that house?

Will a cadaver dog hit on blood or body fluids left on the street or sidewalk or does the person have to be dead who left the evidence behind.
I thank you in advance and also will be sharing what I find in researching this particular subject.

The car of frat boys hitting TB and killing him and then moving the body for concealment is plausible.

However; the following things would have to happen in order for this to remain a logical possibility:

1). The driver of the car would have to override the reflexive instinct to slam on the brakes upon impact. (Unless there was intent).

2). All of the occupants of the car would have to simultaneously and immediately have the exact same thought of covering this up. (Unless there was intent).

3). Every single occupant of the vehicle would have to remain verbally silent in the face of a very tragic situation. No exclamations, no cursing, no dialing of the cell phone, no anger projected at each other. Complete self control under extreme duress in the heat of the moment, at college age.

4). All of the occupants would have to have the ability to determine and triage within seconds that the impact caused death and they needed to clean this scene.

5). They would have to clean the scene to utmost cleanliness to avoid obvious detection.

6). The accident itself would have to have made little to no sound.

I am concluding this while operating under the assumption that TB, had he been hit by a car of frat boys, would have had this happen shortly after leaving the last known reported address.

Removing these assumptions, the possibility exists that he got in a car, rode with unknown people to a different location unknown to us, and was accidentally or with intent, hit with a car in that location.

1) If you're drunk it's easy not to slam on the brakes in time. I can't count the number of times I have been driving home at night when someone in my neighborhood was out walking their dog and I didn't see them until they were right next to me. If I were driving closer to the curb I definitely would have hit them. And I was sober on all of these occasions. Throw in a few drinks plus a car full of people and the possibility for an accident is multiplied.
2) It doesn't take a collective group coming to agreement at the same time. If the alpha dog speaks up first in a stressful situation the group tends to follow. And it is also possible that there were only two in the car. Doesn't have to be a large group.
3) The occupants of the car would be in shock at first. And it's likely most of the occupants weren't paying attention to the road and what was in front of them. There would be no reason for them to curse or exclaim anything if they didn't see anything.
4) It doesn't take a medical degree or a sober person to check for a pulse.
5) The scene wouldn't need to be cleaned to "utmost cleanliness", just cleaned enough for nothing to look out of the ordinary. It's a college town, not a gated neighborhood. Basically they'd just have to remove any large objects from the road. Such as a body, or anything that had broken off the car.
6) This is probably the biggest hole in my theory. But it's not uncommon for loud noises to be heard late at night in a college neighborhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214