ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I love your question and answer sessions! I am with you in spirit if I can't immediately answer.
I think TB could have very well went over to Moorhead for "party supplies" and ran into some unsavory people in his travels.

What I do not and cannot understand is why media hasn't went after JW for an answer to what the "innocent" tweet was about. Even if the police don't name POI, isn't it customary for media to do so? And then question LE about it? North Dakota operates in a vacuum it appears. This would never fly in most states and, IMO, speaks to the level of media the state has.

Geez.. I am slamming LE, the media and aL lot of things about my home state of North Dakota tonight. Sorry. As I say, I am cynical. And growing more cynical by the day.

Sorry Rocco. I imagine I am going to be on your bad side again. Here I thought I had successfully worked my way off of it. :) (Saying this with a teasing spirit - not an adversarial one.)

I was typing while you were typing so I'm sure you'll see by my post right after yours that you are not on my bad side (today anyway).:loveyou:

No - haven't followed it sorry.

I admit that i have a genetic disposition against govt conspiracy theories i guess. Maybe I'm naive but they come across as tinfoil hat crazy to me.

Not trying to pick on anyone. I just don't believe ndsu has the horsepower or motivation to make that happen. And fed state and local LE members are not going to be controlled by a college.

Last - IF this is happening in either or both cases i trust there would be a damn good reason. Something the general public doesnt need to know about because it hurts the case or puts more people in danger. I cannot imagine a scenario to make this make sense though.

Maybe I'm wrong - i hope not. But please continue to share on the topic. I may seem set in my ways but I'm open to ideas.

An interesting note, IMO is that TB's sister appears to have a media communications background/position.

Oh and: Don't sulk MM!! We're all on the same side here! ��

As the unverified LE cynic, I must ask you, Proud Papa, have you looked at the Andrew Sadek case? Multiple different LE organizations AND the college too. Whether or not you believe he was murdered or he committed suicide, I don't think even the biggest LE defender can argue against something shady going on there. "Fox guarding the henhouse" type situation. And admittedly so.

If you don't think that the LE has the power to tell the media to stop showing the TB picture/video, respectfully, you don't understand North Dakota very well. And my question always goe back to why? Are you saying you doubt it exists even though three people have now said they saw it as well as a NDSU official (before recanting that statement for some reason..). Coincidentally (or not), not long after TB was found murdered, there was an article in the Forum about NDSU and their "secrecy" about video surveillance on campus.

Again. I apologize if I sound adversarial ProudPapa. I do not mean to. I respect your opinion and actually wish I could have the faith that you seem to have in the belief that NDSU isn't a "big business" worth protecting at almost all costs to the powers that be in the state. I am much too cynical. And it's one of the things I wish I wasn't.

So don't let my cynicism get in the way of speculation. I'm just sulking over here in the corner.
;-)

This ones for you MM !!! :goodpost:

As the unverified LE cynic, I must ask you, Proud Papa, have you looked at the Andrew Sadek case? Multiple different LE organizations AND the college too. Whether or not you believe he was murdered or he committed suicide, I don't think even the biggest LE defender can argue against something shady going on there. "Fox guarding the henhouse" type situation. And admittedly so.

If you don't think that the LE has the power to tell the media to stop showing the TB picture/video, respectfully, you don't understand North Dakota very well. And my question always goe back to why? Are you saying you doubt it exists even though three people have now said they saw it as well as a NDSU official (before recanting that statement for some reason..). Coincidentally (or not), not long after TB was found murdered, there was an article in the Forum about NDSU and their "secrecy" about video surveillance on campus.

Again. I apologize if I sound adversarial ProudPapa. I do not mean to. I respect your opinion and actually wish I could have the faith that you seem to have in the belief that NDSU isn't a "big business" worth protecting at almost all costs to the powers that be in the state. I am much too cynical. And it's one of the things I wish I wasn't.

So don't let my cynicism get in the way of speculation. I'm just sulking over here in the corner.
;-)

After that post I'm willing to give you a promotion to verified LE cynic. It would be tough to be more cynical than that. You are the top dog. Your trophy is in the mail.

My biggest problem with this continued discussion about the video is that I don't think it matters. I would expect him to leave with a backpack. Most college kids would. If you are going to study, you bring your backpack to carry your computer/books. If you are going to a friend's house, you bring your backpack to carry your beer/liquor/bong/hookah/computer/video game accessories/etc. It's just such an ordinary thing to do. For those who think they have seen the video before I would wonder if it was one of those cases where MSM used a generic video just so they could have something on your screen while they talked about it. Or maybe they showed a portion of the video that initially was thought to be him, but later found not to be. I never saw it so I have no idea what it looked like.

There are some articles early on that make various statements throughout the article about surveillance video. But I think part of the confusion on our part could be due to some shoddy reporting by some of them. For example, there is one article I just looked at that states "Authorities are still going through the surveillance video." and there is a link in the article to listen to a news conference in which the police state that there is no confirmation of him on video yet, but are still looking through it all. However, in one of the last sentences of this same article it says "Bearson lives in a residence hall on the NDSU campus and was seen on surveillance video." If you take crappy reporting like that and combine it with someone who is cynical about LE it becomes pretty easy to find little things about the case that look fishy.
Here is a link to the article: http://wjon.com/ndsu-searching-for-missing-student-from-sartell/

(And I gotta add, the police lieutenant who they interview does not do a very good job of instilling confidence that the case will be solved. He's always stumbling over his words and half his sentences don't even make sense. I listened to this for the first time just now and the first thing I thought was that I'm not surprised we are more than two months into the investigation and still don't have answers.)

Incompetence cannot be ruled out - I saw "Fargo"..........

Seriously - two whole local departments (Fargo and Moorhead) cannot be incompetent. Not to mention state and federal engagement.

Good Lord....Don't tell me we've gotta large pack of idiots running the show there.

Incompetence cannot be ruled out - I saw "Fargo"..........

Seriously - two whole local departments (Fargo and Moorhead) cannot be incompetent. Not to mention state and federal engagement.

Good Lord....Don't tell me we've gotta large pack of idiots running the show there.

I'm not sure I agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Lou. (line from Fargo) Margie solved the case and Norm' s mallard was the winner for the 3 cent stamp so..................................

After that post I'm willing to give you a promotion to verified LE cynic. It would be tough to be more cynical than that. You are the top dog. Your trophy is in the mail.

My biggest problem with this continued discussion about the video is that I don't think it matters. I would expect him to leave with a backpack. Most college kids would. If you are going to study, you bring your backpack to carry your computer/books. If you are going to a friend's house, you bring your backpack to carry your beer/liquor/bong/hookah/computer/video game accessories/etc. It's just such an ordinary thing to do. For those who think they have seen the video before I would wonder if it was one of those cases where MSM used a generic video just so they could have something on your screen while they talked about it. Or maybe they showed a portion of the video that initially was thought to be him, but later found not to be. I never saw it so I have no idea what it looked like.

There are some articles early on that make various statements throughout the article about surveillance video. But I think part of the confusion on our part could be due to some shoddy reporting by some of them. For example, there is one article I just looked at that states "Authorities are still going through the surveillance video." and there is a link in the article to listen to a news conference in which the police state that there is no confirmation of him on video yet, but are still looking through it all. However, in one of the last sentences of this same article it says "Bearson lives in a residence hall on the NDSU campus and was seen on surveillance video." If you take crappy reporting like that and combine it with someone who is cynical about LE it becomes pretty easy to find little things about the case that look fishy.
Here is a link to the article: http://wjon.com/ndsu-searching-for-missing-student-from-sartell/

(And I gotta add, the police lieutenant who they interview does not do a very good job of instilling confidence that the case will be solved. He's always stumbling over his words and half his sentences don't even make sense. I listened to this for the first time just now and the first thing I thought was that I'm not surprised we are more than two months into the investigation and still don't have answers.)

What I don't understand is why it bothers you so much about this backpack business. If you don't think it means anything, then why are you concentrating on it, I have to ask? When I've cooked something for supper that I know everyone else likes, but I don't, I just don't eat it. I have to wonder why it is eating at you so much? What is it about the backpack that has you thinking about it? You've asked several times, please do tell :popcorn:

GoBison
Very interesting about the screenshot! That makes three now that believe that they saw it. I wonder how many more? Very interesting.... Maybe it was a sell instead of a buy? Wonder, wonder, wonder :thinking:
Good Grief!
The media uses unrelated photos all the time to make a point. (not saying it is right or wrong... they just do... and pick one that fits a current headline) They also rely a bit too much on scanner information. (most of this has been scrambled or taken offline for a reason) Sometimes they post a photo of a burning home they have on file... but it is not the actual home that was on fire.. It is not a conspiracy theory or coverup in regards to LE... Many times, the Media realizes they screwed up and removes/deletes everything related to the screw up. Does that make any sense to anyone? AS and TB are completely different cases. At the end of the day.... I really do hope Tom's parents know more than we do. ((HUGS)) And I understand why they they would be angry with JW as well. But that is better left for another day.... if I don't get put on time out again. ;)

Good Grief!
The media uses unrelated photos all the time to make a point. (not saying it is right or wrong... they just do... and pick one that fits a current headline) They also rely a bit too much on scanner information. (most of this has been scrambled or taken offline for a reason) Sometimes they post a photo of a burning home they have on file... but it is not the actual home that was on fire.. It is not a conspiracy theory or coverup in regards to LE... Many times, the Media realizes they screwed up and removes/deletes everything related to the screw up. Does that make any sense to anyone? AS and TB are completely different cases. At the end of the day.... I really do hope Tom's parents know more than we do. ((HUGS)) And I understand why they they would be angry with JW as well. But that is better left for another day.... if I don't get put on time out again. ;)

Okay I get it, this bothers you. Sorry, didn't mean to touch a nerve. I'm sorry that indeed media can be lazy. One poster came on here and scolded us for discussing the rumor that Tom's parents were refusing condolences. It's hard to keep up sometimes. Some posters get upset over one thing, another over the opposite. Guess it just depends on which side of the fence they're on. Sorry.

An interesting note, IMO is that TB's sister appears to have a media communications background/position.

OK? so what is your point? Just curious.... I will apologize before I say this... But what conspiracy theory is next? His Sister was in on it and his parents rushed to Fargo after finding out about his DUI and beat him to death in a rage? ( I guess it could have happened) And ran back home leaving his friends who where expecting to give him a ride back home to tell his parents he screwed up only wonder were he was and report him as missing ASAP.

Anyone see how messed up this mindset works? Anyone can theorize and sway the actual facts...

I assume I will be put back in the corner to play with my crayons again. ;)

What I don't understand is why it bothers you so much about this backpack business. If you don't think it means anything, then why are you concentrating on it, I have to ask? When I've cooked something for supper that I know everyone else likes, but I don't, I just don't eat it. I have to wonder why it is eating at you so much? What is it about the backpack that has you thinking about it? You've asked several times, please do tell :popcorn:

The only times I talk about the backpack are when someone else brings it up. It's like this - we all have areas where we probably have a stronger knowledge base than other posters on here. I get the sense that I am younger than most people on this board (based on the fact that I have seen a lot of questions about how Twitter or Snapchat work and references by some of you to having children in their teens and older -- I use Twitter/Snapchat daily and it would not even be biologically possible for me to have a teenage child.), so I think what I can bring to this particular discussion is knowledge of what a typical college student does and thinks. Others would have more to offer about the current issues in Fargo or maybe a better understanding of the forensic evidence in the case. One of the main purposes of coming here is to try to find out what happened in this case, and it takes multiple viewpoints and areas of expertise to do that. Since questions about the backpack would fall under my area of expertise, I almost feel it is my duty not to let us go very far and waste our time with any theories that assume the backpack should be seen as important.

I admit it is eating me a little bit...I think it is more that I am a very recent college grad (and I still live a few blocks from a college campus, my girlfriend is still in college, and my little brother is also in college) who knows very well that backpacks are commonplace even if a student isn't going to be studying. The way that I feel about the backpack or other basics about college life is similar to how one would feel if an out-of-towner tried to tell you something new about your own hometown. You almost just laugh to yourself a little bit, because you can tell they have good intentions, but have nowhere near the same understanding of it that you do.

OK? so what is your point? Just curious.... I will apologize before I say this... But what conspiracy theory is next? His Sister was in on it and his parents rushed to Fargo after finding out about his DUI and beat him to death in a rage? ( I guess it could have happened) And ran back home leaving his friends who where expecting to give him a ride back home to tell his parents he screwed up only wonder were he was and report him as missing ASAP.

Anyone see how messed up this mindset works? Anyone can theorize and sway the actual facts...

I assume I will be put back in the corner to play with my crayons again. ;)

Thanks for asking. I would hope that considering her background, it will be helpful to the family in understanding the way that the media presents "stories" under these circumstances. You may want to look back at a post that I wrote that had a media piece linked. I was commenting on the piece as the wordage might appear or be conveyed when being read by a loved one. The wordage in the MSM piece bothered me when I tried to put myself in those shoes.
If I may ask, do you have a theory of what happened to this dear young man?

The only times I talk about the backpack are when someone else brings it up. It's like this - we all have areas where we probably have a stronger knowledge base than other posters on here. I get the sense that I am younger than most people on this board (based on the fact that I have seen a lot of questions about how Twitter or Snapchat work and references by some of you to having children in their teens and older -- I use Twitter/Snapchat daily and it would not even be biologically possible for me to have a teenage child.), so I think what I can bring to this particular discussion is knowledge of what a typical college student does and thinks. Others would have more to offer about the current issues in Fargo or maybe a better understanding of the forensic evidence in the case. One of the main purposes of coming here is to try to find out what happened in this case, and it takes multiple viewpoints and areas of expertise to do that. Since questions about the backpack would fall under my area of expertise, I almost feel it is my duty not to let us go very far and waste our time with any theories that assume the backpack should be seen as important.

I admit it is eating me a little bit...I think it is more that I am a very recent college grad (and I still live a few blocks from a college campus, my girlfriend is still in college, and my little brother is also in college) who knows very well that backpacks are commonplace even if a student isn't going to be studying. The way that I feel about the backpack or other basics about college life is similar to how one would feel if an out-of-towner tried to tell you something new about your own hometown. You almost just laugh to yourself a little bit, because you can tell they have good intentions, but have nowhere near the same understanding of it that you do.
Thank you, I appreciate your insight, and that makes perfect sense!
If I may ask, I am curious why your theory changed from when you first started posting from drug deal gone bad to car accident?

It has been mentioned on this thread before, that for the most part, family and friends have been very quiet. I am not trying to insinuate what anyone else’s reason(s) for that might or should be.
My opinion only: I read through this article again today. As I read it, I tried to imagine reading it from a loved one’s standpoint, and what this article might then mean or say to me. What stands out to me is that there is an inference that this crime occurred as a result of unsafe practices and lack of awareness, rather than due to the hands of a murderer. And that, without those factors, no need to be fearful because Fargo is actually safe and always has been otherwise. It sounds very blaming of the victim, and oxymoronic to me.
I clearly understand that this wordage is standard protocol, and that this is acceptable in our society due to many factors.
I am ashamed of what we have learned to accept.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26624807/breaking-bearson-death-confirmed-as-homicide
“Fargo Police tell Valley News Live they cannot comment on specifics of the case, but they feel there is no threat to the community at this time. Lt. Joel Vettel says there is no reason to believe people should be living in fear, and Fargo is still a safe place to live.
Vettel did say there is a concern after these events. He realizes the first reaction for people might be shock and alarm. Adding people should have a heightened awareness.
Both departments agree people should look out for their own safety.”

GoBison, This one is a repeat for you

So much good conversation on here lately. I think about the backpack and have mixed feelings. What comes to mind for me is, if it was a unique backpack (like in being used as part of an investigative tool) would it contain some sort of live audio, video, GPS device? If so then wouldn't LE have known TB was in trouble and it was time to intervene, send help? I don't know...I don't know how these things work? Even still, where is the backpack now? Was it with him when they found him? Odd if it was... considering his phone and a shoe were missing. No mention of the backpack when LE asked for the publics help in looking for the shoe and the phone. Do they have his backpack? If so where was it? How did they get it? I do wonder about his backpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214