ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And the safety issue that no camera security has been in place?
Didn't TB's dorm-mate say he himself was out of town? It seems that no one else really noticed that TB was not around until the evening of 9-20-14, or atleast according to SM that is when it started being the biggest concern, or people started being questioned/contacted about his possible where-abouts.

http://www.thenewsleaders.net/2014/0...ds-tragically/

“Bearson’s family notified police Sunday because they were concerned he did not show up to visit his family that day, as expected. He told the family he would “catch a ride” from Fargo and leave about noon for the trip to Sartell. By 5:30 p.m. Sunday, he had not arrived, which alarmed the family.”
“was reported missing Sept. 21 by his family”

Think about what you just "quoted from MSM to be true" Things get mixed up a bit sometimes with actual dates and times.
I still have questions why he would be leaving for a 3 hour one way trip home on a Saturday afternoon. (but as a parent of children who are around the same age) I can easily see how it might have been to face your parents and explain the previous weekend and legal ramifications. They would not be the first parents in the world that said "get your *advertiser censored* home and explain your actions face to face" But I doubt they would be demanding him to get a ride home with friends who are fellow students as well on a Sunday. Think about it....If you want your child to do well in school and attend class Monday morning/afternoon.... you do not make his friends take him home on a Sunday to chew him out. I think it was his friends that actually were concerned on Saturday and his family reported Tom missing on Sunday.

Why was he at the Sanford Medical Center the night of his DUI?
Let's start there.

The only "screenshot" I ever saw on the news... as I stated before it might have been WDAY, Valley News or another... perhaps even KFGO. Was a "screenshot/stock photo" of Andrew S. It really made me angry when I saw it because our local media really is that bad. If another video/screenshot existed I would be surprised. I was looking for news about TB from the time it hit my facebook page from the kids and family members who are tied to NDSU before it was made public on the media. I think something was finally released officially Sunday night... but it has been so long it might have been Monday evening. I was really upset to hear a child was missing and none of us on Campus that day were told earlier. (I am not certain what time he was thought to be missing for sure by his friends.... but I think it was before the game ended) So there might have been evidence that was long gone before anyone knew this boy was missing.

I just cannot accept there are no cameras on NDSU campus that caught him leaving his dorm. How can anyone accept this?

My sister knows the Sadek family. It was NOT Andrew Sadek that she saw on the news. With all due respect, we've looked at Andrew's picture for four months straight. She would NOT be mistaken. How irresponsible would it be during a MISSING PERSONS investigation for the media to show a picture/video of a different college kid?

I know the campus of NDSU quite well. He had to walk the length of it to get to the trap house.. THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF IT. No cameras picked him up that night? None? Wow. It must be the most "under surveillanced" college campus I've ever heard of.

And the question goes back to: why is this a secret?

Found this on NDSU's own website: Installation of a centralized/integrated video surveillance system ($350,000) to support an enhanced centralized card access and integrated video surveillance network, infrastructure and associated equipment reporting back to the University Police Communications Call Center (24 hours per day, 365 days per year) for central monitoring to better manage the building envelope in crisis situations. Additional phases will bring existing independent campus video surveillance locations onto the “system” with policy development and a pricing structure to include a scalable model to enable build-out to additional buildings as dollars are made available.

It also mentions cameras can be monitored in 8 different locations.

I have wondered why Urgent Care on July 22 after attending a Mike Stud (white rapper) concert at Gigos on First Ave in Moorhead very near RV sales lot, and then tweeting homie saved his good buddie's life?

Was born and raised in Fargo. Left at 18 and have lived elsewhere since.

I hope I didn't sound accusatory or dismissive - I know EXACTLY what you mean about the small town rumor mill. Heck, Fargo is not immune to the small town gossip and it's by far the largest metro area in the state. It's an ND thing and it's weird/charming.

(GoBison, the creepy thing is probably that we know each other or know people who know each other. That's Fargo, readers. Always good to see another native Fargoan who "gets" it. I was excited to meet "one of us" in a bar in western Mexico in 2011. Of course we had acquaintances in common, and he grew up within two blocks of my mother.)

You hit the nail on the head with that one! ;) I cant go on vacation anywhere without running into someone I know or knows a friend or family member. More than likely we know each other in passing or though family and friends. Who knows.... we may have shook hands or hugged a time or two. ND/MN area tends to keep their circle close.

I have wondered why Urgent Care on July 22 after attending a Mike Stud (white rapper) concert at Gigos on First Ave in Moorhead very near RV sales lot, and then tweeting homie saved his good buddie's life?
What could that possibly have to do with this??? That was in July... Do you have proof TB was in the area on that day? And who was in Urgent Care? I get the desire to follow the tweet thing... but that is really reaching.

What could that possibly have to do with this??? That was in July... Do you have proof TB was in the area on that day? And who was in Urgent Care? I get the desire to follow the tweet thing... but that is really reaching.
Reaching for what? TB playing basketball before NDSU or being in a pharmacy program probably doesn't have anything to do with his demise, but it has been discussed. I said I wonder about it. Who is to say it doesn't. It may, it may not.

Why was he at the Sanford Medical Center the night of his DUI?
Let's start there.

I assume you mean TB? The weekend prior to Sept.20/21? It is common practice to be taken to a medical facility for a blood draw when DUI needs to be further confirmed. Or are you insinuating his DUI actually occurred in July? Not sure what to tell you about the screenshot the news showed of AS... I just know what I saw at the time and am familiar with AS as well and may have missed an earlier one. Not a single media site has the initial screenshot in their archives. Not sure why they purged some photos and videos from their sites... I agree it is strange. But a few days ago... one of them posted a picture of a pipe with a water break... I am fairly certain it was not the actual picture the broken water main in question.

Reaching for what? TB playing basketball before NDSU or being in a pharmacy program probably doesn't have anything to do with his demise, but it has been discussed. I said I wonder about it. Who is to say it doesn't. It may, it may not.

What!?! I think you might need to go to bed and get some rest.... Why are you arguing with me anyway? If you want to think TB died of Homicidal violence in July.... then you win.

I just cannot accept there are no cameras on NDSU campus that caught him leaving his dorm. How can anyone accept this?

My sister knows the Sadek family. It was NOT Andrew Sadek that she saw on the news. With all due respect, we've looked at Andrew's picture for four months straight. She would NOT be mistaken. How irresponsible would it be during a MISSING PERSONS investigation for the media to show a picture/video of a different college kid?

I know the campus of NDSU quite well. He had to walk the length of it to get to the trap house.. THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF IT. No cameras picked him up that night? None? Wow. It must be the most "under surveillanced" college campus I've ever heard of.

And the question goes back to: why is this a secret?

Found this on NDSU's own website: Installation of a centralized/integrated video surveillance system ($350,000) to support an enhanced centralized card access and integrated video surveillance network, infrastructure and associated equipment reporting back to the University Police Communications Call Center (24 hours per day, 365 days per year) for central monitoring to better manage the building envelope in crisis situations. Additional phases will bring existing independent campus video surveillance locations onto the “system” with policy development and a pricing structure to include a scalable model to enable build-out to additional buildings as dollars are made available.

It also mentions cameras can be monitored in 8 different locations.

You said... I know the campus of NDSU quite well. He had to walk the length of it to get to the trap house.. THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF IT. No cameras picked him up that night? None? Wow. It must be the most "under surveillanced" college campus I've ever heard of.
Google can not put you on Campus in person. If you know this campus that well.... you would know what a long walk that really is. You would also know how many people actually did walk the ENTIRE length of Campus that day. And how crazy the weather was that day when the storm from rolled through. You would also know how much garbage is generated and bagged up after a normal game day. The front that moved through that Saturday afternoon downed trees and the rain washed anything that might have been left behind away as well. Hours before Tom was reported at missing... And to be honest... you really would need to be in the area on game day weekends to understand. I know what the area is like. I have more surveillance cameras in my own home than the southern area of the NDSU campus.

I assume you mean TB? The weekend prior to Sept.20/21? It is common practice to be taken to a medical facility for a blood draw when DUI needs to be further confirmed. Or are you insinuating his DUI actually occurred in July? Not sure what to tell you about the screenshot the news showed of AS... I just know what I saw at the time and am familiar with AS as well and may have missed an earlier one. Not a single media site has the initial screenshot in their archives. Not sure why they purged some photos and videos from their sites... I agree it is strange. But a few days ago... one of them posted a picture of a pipe with a water break... I am fairly certain it was not the actual picture the broken water main in question.

RE: TRIP TO SANFORD ON NIGHT OF DUI
I've known lots of people who have gotten DUIs. They've never went to the hospital over it. Never. Not one time. However if they needed blood to test for other chemicals, I can understand. Why would they test for other chemicals randomly? Why would they be suspicious? Maybe there was something else in the car. Just maybe.

My son tells me that crushed up Adderall is popular these days among the college kids. So is any kind of prescription painkiller. Xanax. Those are all Class C Felony drugs. In addition, marijuana usage can only be ascertained through bloodwork. Bust a kid with any of those things and a line to the dealer would be great. (I'm not saying as a drug dealer either.)

RE: Surveillance at NDSU
A stock photo/video of a water main pipe break is more understandable than showing a picture of a missing student who is not actually THE missing student in question. That would be dumb. The media in Fargo may be dumb but when you are looking for a missing student, you don't throw a stock photo up of a random kid. Common sense should tell everyone that. And if it was a different kid, why is it missing from the reports now? Shouldn't it still be on the news report that referenced it? It is gone. And why did an official say they had footage of him? And why did two or three people on this thread have people in their families (or they themselves, including my own sister) SEE the picture/video?

Do you believe there is no video of him?

Do you know the layout of the NDSU college campus and understand that Tom walked the entire campus to get to the trap house? Yet you believe that in the three or four days he was missing, they couldn't find him on surveillance anywhere to show the public what he was wearing even though they knew the exact time he got up and walked out of the dorm with the backpack?

Even someone who isn't a cynic shouldn't buy that one.

Yes, I know. I didn't go to my corner like I said I was going to. Sorry. :)

You said... I know the campus of NDSU quite well. He had to walk the length of it to get to the trap house.. THE ENTIRE LENGTH OF IT. No cameras picked him up that night? None? Wow. It must be the most "under surveillanced" college campus I've ever heard of.
Google can not put you on Campus in person. If you know this campus that well.... you would know what a long walk that really is. You would also know how many people actually did walk the ENTIRE length of Campus that day. And how crazy the weather was that day when the storm from rolled through. You would also know how much garbage is generated and bagged up after a normal game day. The front that moved through that Saturday afternoon downed trees and the rain washed anything that might have been left behind away as well. Hours before Tom was reported at missing... And to be honest... you really would need to be in the area on game day weekends to understand. I know what the area is like. I have more surveillance cameras in my own home than the southern area of the NDSU campus.
The storm was well over by the time Tom walked out of his dorm.
So you are saying now that the storm knocked out the videos for the night? Seriously? I'm sure the surveillance cameras can endure a storm. If they can withstand cold of 40 below zero, they can handle a little wind.

I am saying simply this...

When Tom was just "missing," I am sure LE contacted his roommate at the residence hall.
I'm sure that roommate told LE the same story that he told the media which was something along the lines of he picked up his backpack and "just left" about 10:00pm.

Wouldn't LE if it is competent enough go back to the surveillance tapes from just 24-36 hours before and get an image of Tom so we could all see what he was wearing that night? Wouldn't they then show that image on the news so we could all see what the kid we are all searching for looks like in detail?

I am not going to back away from this video thing because it's suspicious to me. I also don't trust LE OR NDSU to not cover up a mistake they made that got one of their students killed. (How NDSU becomes complicit is by allowing their students to be used as CI's as the police just don't do something like this without the consent of the university. It's happened to LOTS of universities. The SEMCA dude even says it's happening across the college campuses of ND.)

The storm had absolutely no bearing on this case. On Saturday, the total rainfall in Fargo was .07 inches which is less then 1/10th of an inch!

Why on earth, GoBison, are you acting like you are the spokesperson for the NDSU campus? You didn't even attend school there if I am to believe your other statements about your affiliation to NDSU! I DID attend school there. I know the campus layout well. With $350,000 in security camera UPGRADES alone, you don't think that the place where 10% of the students LIVE AND SLEEP would be among the first to have security cameras? Geez.. The students lives are the most important thing on the campus, aren't they? I went to school 20+ years ago and even the RA's had video surveillance of the entryways there.

GO BISON:
Oh I've attended plenty of Bison football games.
From dating a few players in my day to attending games at both the field & the dome, I know a thing or two about NDSU football games.

If you are willing to be proud & boast that you have more surveillance cameras in your house than what "all of the southern part of NDSU has," that tells me exactly why you are against me saying anything about the "status quo" in Fargo, ND. It's apparently working in your favor.

Btw.. Again.. I am not putting all my eggs in this basket but as each day passes, I am thinking about adding more eggs to it. The only reason the use of CI's ever came to light any other time on other university campuses was because the student CI had told other people so there was no way for LE to get out of it. Maybe they (as in drug taskforce) were waiting to see if Tom told anyone about the deal he made with them.

Or then again maybe this was an entirely different type of crime all together. I just don't think we have enough pieces yet to know. It doesn't seem to me that we are going to get anymore either.

I agree with you on most points. Are you a Scholarship level supporter of NDSU as well? Your user name of choice might have mislead me to assume you might be an alumni member and I apologize if I was wrong. But if you are' I would like to hear your input as well. A few of us have been talking about what happened and what we can do to improve the safety of all students attending NDSU both on and off campus. (most of us understand why NDSU has not taken responsibly for this now because the crime likely occurred off campus) But it still does not make us heartless and ANTI NDSU. Many provide funds to students because they care about our youth who would not get a chance to further their education without help. (Not all funds support just the Football program)Just as many support the school when their children do not play football for NDSU or chose to attend a different college. ;) So if you have any input how to support the well being of all students of NDSU start speaking to some Alumni. (Not me... I actually went to College in another State. But my family and I continue to support NDSU because of other family ties who are Alumni members)

No way. NDSU is my college's nemesis. I am a UND alumni.

I lived and worked in Fargo for 20 years upon college graduation. I too was very sad to hear about Dennis Walaker's passing. He was a champion of Fargo for many years. RIP Mr. Walaker.

Being a UND alumni means I can't be seen in public cheering for the Bison but I am still supportive of the college. I am a ND man - even with all of it's faults.

I find the lack of reward or the lack of any plea for public assistance suspicious & troubling. Combined with the insistence of other sleuthers who say the Bearson family doesn't know anything? I think that is an odd combination unless those sleuthers are wrong. Perhaps even the family is "keeping a facade" to their friends & relatives? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

I am not cynical of anyone but the community deserves answers here. The LE's statement that basically they don't owe us any answers about Tom is not a good way to build public trust. Last I checked the police are paid entirely through tax dollars. The citizens deserve answers. It is healthy and natural of the public to question authority from time to time. It helps keep them honest.

This debate about Tom being a confidential informant. Well I don't know if that's true or not but I think the questions MM brings up are valid. They will never be answered but they are valid. I am not anti-LE in the slightest but they ARE capable of mistakes just as any of us are. I can count on one hand the times I can recall LE owning up to ANY mistake at any level. They simply just do not admit them unless they are caught on camera and left with no way out. I think there are other theories that outweigh the CI possibility.

Dang. MM and CANTNOTCARE and GOBISON likes to go hard at proving their points though. It keeps it all interesting.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle."

Well, if Annie Le hadn't gone to Yale she wouldn't be dead either but people aren't going to stop sending their kids to Yale. TB died while he was a student at NDSU, not because he was a student at NDSU.

With all due respect, NDSU is not Yale. And I was not speaking about Annie Le nor was I speaking of sending/not sending my children there. Although based on the publics nonchalant attitude about kids being murdered, I'd tend to send my own children to a different college in a different state. If they could get accepted to Yale, I'd gladly send them there. Unfortunately they inherited their fathers DNA (mine) which will not allow them an entrance in an Ivy League school.

Dang. MM and CANTNOTCARE and GOBISON likes to go hard at proving their points though. It keeps it all interesting.

FWIW - any theories I seem to be for or against are just theories. Don't feel bad about pointing out flaws in my logic. I think most if not all of us feel the same.

I think we're all over being butt hurt about someone disagreeing with us.

I wonder how many folks on here speaking are actually currently present in the FM area. I also wonder how much of our speculation is distorted by distance and access to very few actual facts. Just thoughts to ponder....

With all due respect, NDSU is not Yale. And I was not speaking about Annie Le nor was I speaking of sending/not sending my children there. Although based on the publics nonchalant attitude about kids being murdered, I'd tend to send my own children to a different college in a different state. If they could get accepted to Yale, I'd gladly send them there. Unfortunately they got their fathers DNA which will not allow them an entrance in an Ivy League school.

LOL......FWIW, intelligence (or lack of) is passed on through the female line.

Ok - i just made that up but it sounds good.

I thought Moorhead LE was leading the case?

All I know is that as a mother of a son attending the other big college in Moorhead and who has to depend on public transportation as his only way around, I've toyed with emailing LE as I don't get the lack of warnings, nothing. I don't even think my son had heard of it. Again, granted, he's in Moorhead and doesn't watch the news but as we all know just a mile separates the two cities and all buses involve Fargo. Just kind of concerning if you ask me. I just don't get it.

No way. NDSU is my college's nemesis. I am a UND alumni.

I lived and worked in Fargo for 20 years upon college graduation. I too was very sad to hear about Dennis Walaker's passing. He was a champion of Fargo for many years. RIP Mr. Walaker.

Being a UND alumni means I can't be seen in public cheering for the Bison but I am still supportive of the college. I am a ND man - even with all of it's faults.

I find the lack of reward or the lack of any plea for public assistance suspicious & troubling. Combined with the insistence of other sleuthers who say the Bearson family doesn't know anything? I think that is an odd combination unless those sleuthers are wrong. Perhaps even the family is "keeping a facade" to their friends & relatives? Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

I am not cynical of anyone but the community deserves answers here. The LE's statement that basically they don't owe us any answers about Tom is not a good way to build public trust. Last I checked the police are paid entirely through tax dollars. The citizens deserve answers. It is healthy and natural of the public to question authority from time to time. It helps keep them honest.

This debate about Tom being a confidential informant. Well I don't know if that's true or not but I think the questions MM brings up are valid. They will never be answered but they are valid. I am not anti-LE in the slightest but they ARE capable of mistakes just as any of us are. I can count on one hand the times I can recall LE owning up to ANY mistake at any level. They simply just do not admit them unless they are caught on camera and left with no way out. I think there are other theories that outweigh the CI possibility.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle."

(BBM) Very well written. I'm vanilla when it comes to LE. The true danger comes from leadership that views the public as, "them" and the agency as, "us". When they forget that they are sworn to protect and serve and not to police. Law enforcement is just like anything else, it's only as good as the people who are in it.

I respect the uniform, I watch the people IN the uniform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maylon