NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the local mall yesterday and I watched how many kids would run ahead of the parents or stop and look at a display, the parents really not paying much attention where the kids were. I wanted toooooo shout at them, Please watch your child each moment that you are out in public with them!!!! It

i work in retail for target and we have the same thing children walking around alone and lost we do code yellows where we get on the walkies give a discription of the child and walk the store looking for them we have never had any code yellows were we have had to call the police, ( thankgod) they need to keep more watch on the children

We have been invited by the US Attorney General's office for a conference in Philadelphia on April 28 & 29 about the problem involving finding the missing and identifying the deceased. Attending the conference will be government officials, FBI, law enforcement, forensic scientists, and a few families of the missing. We are privleged to help represent families of the missing nationwide, along with our friend, Robert Cooke, father of missing Rachel Cooke.

We are also pleased that the US recognizes the in-depth problem and scope of the issue. With an average of 97,000 open cases annually, (about 850,000 are missing per year) plus 40,000 unidentified bodies, it is past time for action.

Please pray for us as we make this trip, and that we can come closer to resolutions, if not for us, then for others who face the ambiguous loss of their loved ones.

Kelly

For you, Kelly, and for you, Robert. Prayers for all a safe trip and prayers for ALL the ones who has Lost and Missing love ones.

Hugs,
frisco~

smile22 said:
i work in retail for target and we have the same thing children walking around alone and lost we do code yellows where we get on the walkies give a discription of the child and walk the store looking for them we have never had any code yellows were we have had to call the police, ( thankgod) they need to keep more watch on the children
It's sad, isn't it? So much evil in this world and they (parents) think it cannot happen! I took up Kelly's idea and keep a ID Kit in my car now, and I actually use it a few weeks ago in the grocery store. The mother had no idea it was so easy for a stranger (or anyone, for that matter) just walk out of the store with the child and be gone...in a blink of an eye.

Let's all keep up the wonderful work that Kelly does and support her all we can!

hugs,
~frisco

A Project Jason Press Release:

4 Families, 4 Mysteries

4 families who have experienced the tragedy of having a missing loved one will come together on Sunday, May 1st to share their stories with dozens of bike riders at the 2nd annual Miles for the Missing Family Bike Ride sponsored by Omaha nonprofit organization, Project Jason.

Riders will meet the family members starting at 9:45am on the Wabash Trace Nature Trail in Council Bluffs, IA. Miles for the Missing is a casual ride, and riders can go distances from 1 mile up to 44. Sag and free water will be provided. Rider cost is $15 each, and children under age 10 ride free.

Families represented at the ride include: Jim and Kelly Jolkowski of Omaha, parents of missing Jason Jolkowski, who disappeared from his Omaha home on June 13, 2001; Carolyn Pospisil, mother of Erin Pospisil, who was last seen in Cedar Rapids, IA on June 6, 2001; Rebecca Gonzalez of Omaha, whose son Brendan was murdered by his father, but his body never recovered; and Kathy Wilson of Omaha. Her husband Greg, disappeared in January of 2005. His body was located in March, but the mystery of his disappearance still remains.

Project Jason members will be present to give away free Personal ID Kits and other safety information for families. They will also explain the services offered and awareness programs available for the missing. Proceeds from the ride enable Project Jason to continue to offer their free services to families of the missing nationwide and provide educational materials to all families.

Jim and Kelly Jolkowski continue to take part not just in local, but in state and national activities to increase public awareness of the missing, and to take steps to strengthen the aid given to these families. In early April, Kelly attended a national conference of missing persons organizations in Wilmington, NC, and was the Keynote Speaker at the New York State Missing Person’s Day. The Jolkowski family is also behind LB111, Jason’s Law, which will establish a Missing Person’s Clearinghouse for all ages in Nebraska. LB111 has passed through 2 of 3 rounds of debate in the state legislature.

Jim, Kelly, and Michael Jolkowski just returned from the Department of Justice’s “National Strategy Meeting: Identifying the Missing”, which took place in Philadelphia and brought together hundreds of government officials, forensic scientists, medical examiners, coroners, FBI, law enforcement, and families of missing and murdered loved ones from across the country. A few families of the missing and the murdered were chosen to represent the thousands upon thousands nationwide in this effort for all those involved to meet and put together a strategy to resolve the estimated 100,000 active missing person’s cases and to identify the 40,000 to 50,000 unidentified bodies nationwide. John Walsh of America’s Most Wanted was the Keynote Speaker. The Jolkowskis were able to meet with him briefly and share their experience.

For more information, please see www.projectjason.org, and click on the Miles for the Missing link, or call Kelly Jolkowski at 402-932-0095 or email: Milesforthemissing@projectjason.org

i'm just curious has there been any evidence at all in your son jason's case about how or why he dissapeared? do you have any beliefs of your own??? i couldn't imagine any worse pain for a parent to go through, i think its great youre doing so much for all the other missing people out there and with the legislation!

Thank you.

Despite efforts of LE and two PI's, we are still at day one as far as knowing what happened to Jason. There are not, not was there ever, anything solid to go by as far as leads go. I do not feel strongly that he is either dead or alive, I simply do not know. The evidence would appear he did not leave on his own accord, but nor is there any evidence he was taken.

Kelly

Kelly said:
Thank you.

Despite efforts of LE and two PI's, we are still at day one as far as knowing what happened to Jason. There are not, not was there ever, anything solid to go by as far as leads go. I do not feel strongly that he is either dead or alive, I simply do not know. The evidence would appear he did not leave on his own accord, but nor is there any evidence he was taken.

Kelly

Kelly

For what it is worth, I continue to pray daily for you and your family and for Jason.. As I have told you many times, I do feel that he is alive and that something is preventing him from coming home to you....In all good time, this will be revealed, if not in this life, the next.

Keep up the good work, and remember everything happens for a reason. I will keep all of you in my daily prayers by name == the unnamed others, I will offer up a 'general' prayer for.

Hugs and more Hugs,
Gabby

It is worth a great deal to me. Not only are the prayers heard, but they serve to bring hope to the family and let them know that people truly care. Thank you.

Kelly

Local Student Wins Unusual Scholarship

One. That's the number of scholarship opportunities without grade point average requirements available for learning disabled students.

One. That's the number of students in the Omaha area who won this scholarship.

Numerous. That's the number of issues faced by learning disabled students as they attempt to compensate for their disabilities and also seek the same opportunities for higher education as offered to their peers. The lack of scholarship opportunities for learning disabled students is not acceptable. These students may not be able to achieve the required grade point averages to be eligible for many scholarships. Because of language processing issues, the essays and other written materials may not be as polished as those of other students, making it even more difficult to for the learning disabled student to win scholarships.

Endless. That's the number of possibilities open in the future for this year's recipient of the Jason A. Jolkowski Scholarship, Robb Merriman, of Elkhorn High School. Robb will receive a $500 scholarship from local nonprofit organization Project Jason.

Robb has worked through his learning disabilities and is an honor roll student. He is employed at a local grocery store and plans to attend UNO after his graduation. His goal is to get a degree in computer science and a minor in Japanese language.

Robb loves the world of technology, and has worked on computers on his own for many years. He is taking networking classes along with Japanese, Trigonometry, and Calculus. He plans on using the language skills to interface with leaders in technology in the business world once he graduates. He would like to find a job at a computer company and eventually get married and have children. Robb says: "My will to succeed at school is twice that of my will to make my computer work great." This is the attitude and drive that made Robb the obvious choice for this year's scholarship.

To qualify for the scholarship, Robb wrote an essay about the plight of the missing in America. Robb pinpoints issues related to public awareness and the steps to take when a person becomes missing, safety training, and proper reporting of missing persons.

The Jason A. Jolkowski Scholarship is named after missing Omaha youth, Jason Jolkowski, who disappeared from his home in June 2001. Jason is a former Omaha Westside and Benson High School student who was able to triumph over learning disabilities with the help of his family, teachers, and friends.

Learning disabilities is an invisible disability, and it can be a struggle to keep up with the other students. Learning disabled students do not process information in the same way as other students. Often they encounter difficulties with multitasking, and the typical classroom setting may not allow them to make full use of compensatory strategies they have been taught. These students should be applauded and rewarded for their efforts. As the Jolkowskis learned from their own son's experience, it is not an easy thing to face and overcome.

Jason went on to attend Iowa Western Community College and was enrolled in the Radio Broadcasting program. His parents and founders of Project Jason, Jim and Kelly Jolkowski of Omaha, feel that Jason would want this scholarship to be presented to a student who faces the extra challenges brought about by having learning disabilities.

The scholarship is also another way that Project Jason can give back to the community that supports their efforts in assisting families of the missing nationwide and providing educational information to the public. Their website is located at www.projectjason.org.

The heart of the story is Robb’s perseverance to win at learning and the courage to face his disabilities. Perhaps Robb Merriman will become the next Bill Gates, and even if he isn’t, it is clear he will achieve his goals and dreams.

NPR's Radio's News & Notes with Ed Gordon show featured missing Tamika Huston on a segment that explores media bias in missing person's case.

Tamika's aunt talks about this issue, as she has fought for national attention for her niece since she disappeared in June of 2004.

Kelly Jolkowski founder of Project Jason, and mother of missing Jason Jolkowski, also makes comments about bias towards male and minority cases.

You can listen to the broadcast by clicking on "Listen" at the top of the page.

Ed Gordon Show

Ed Gordon is an Emmy-award winning journalist, and a contributor to 60 Minutes. He previously reported for the Today Show and Dateline NBC

Today marks 3 years and 11 months since Jason disappeared.

He will never be forgotten. Every action we take is done in his name. I know he would want this. I pray he is safe and happy. We miss him so much.

Kelly

God Bless you Kelly.
I hope and pray that there will be answers soon.
Peace be with you.

Blessings,
JJJJaded

Kelly, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I do not know how you do what you do. You have helped so many. I pray that Jason is safe and happy. I pray that you will have answeres. Much love to you.

Kelly said:

He will never be forgotten. Every action we take is done in his name. I know he would want this. I pray he is safe and happy. We miss him so much.

Kelly

Kelly--
Please know how much I care. You are an extraordinary woman and I am so sorry for what you have gone through for the last almost 4 years. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Karen

Kelly said:

Kelly

I lit a candle in church last night for Jason... May he find his way back home to you soon.

Hugs,
Gabs

The Ride for Missing Children is an awareness/fundraising event for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). The Ride for Missing Children is an annual 100-mile bicycle ride open to a limited number of pre-qualified riders. The mission of the ride is to promote awareness about missing and exploited children, promote child-safety-education, and raise funds for the work of NCMEC.

Two hundred eighty-eight cyclists will travel two-by-two for 100 miles, stopping at designated elementary schools for a safety awareness presentation. The opening ceremony begins on Friday, May 20th at 6:45am at the NYSP Troop D headquarters in Oneda, NY.

More than 3.2 million posters have been printed out of NCMEC‘s Utica NY location, where the ride originated. Of the 1,028 missing and exploited children targeted by these posters 664 children have been successfully recovered as a result of poster distribution.

Omaha resident Kelly Jolkowski will be an honorary rider in the event and will speak at both the opening and closing ceremony.

Kelly’s son Jason Jolkowski, then 19, disappeared from his Omaha home on June 13, 2001. Since that time, Kelly and her husband Jim have worked to establish Project Jason, a nonprofit organization to assist families of the missing nationwide. They are also active in legislation, and are close to getting their bill, LB 111, Jason’s Law, passed in the state legislature. Jason’s Law will establish a true Missing Person’s Clearinghouse in Nebraska with services and benefits for all ages.

Kelly said:
The Ride for Missing Children is an awareness/fundraising event for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC). The Ride for Missing Children is an annual 100-mile bicycle ride open to a limited number of pre-qualified riders. The mission of the ride is to promote awareness about missing and exploited children, promote child-safety-education, and raise funds for the work of NCMEC.

Two hundred eighty-eight cyclists will travel two-by-two for 100 miles, stopping at designated elementary schools for a safety awareness presentation. The opening ceremony begins on Friday, May 20th at 6:45am at the NYSP Troop D headquarters in Oneda, NY.

More than 3.2 million posters have been printed out of NCMEC‘s Utica NY location, where the ride originated. Of the 1,028 missing and exploited children targeted by these posters 664 children have been successfully recovered as a result of poster distribution.

Omaha resident Kelly Jolkowski will be an honorary rider in the event and will speak at both the opening and closing ceremony.

Kelly’s son Jason Jolkowski, then 19, disappeared from his Omaha home on June 13, 2001. Since that time, Kelly and her husband Jim have worked to establish Project Jason, a nonprofit organization to assist families of the missing nationwide. They are also active in legislation, and are close to getting their bill, LB 111, Jason’s Law, passed in the state legislature. Jason’s Law will establish a true Missing Person’s Clearinghouse in Nebraska with services and benefits for all ages.
WTG KELLY!!!!!

hugs,
~frisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads