NE NE - Tyler Goodrich, 35, left his house to go on a run, Lincoln, 3 Nov 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The thing is, if he intended to go for a run, wouldn't he have headed down the driveway to the road, not into the backyard?

And if he was wearing only light (running) clothes, and actually left the property from the backyard, he would have had to push his way through the briars that were previously mentioned as being fairly intense.

So it seems to me he either did that, probably scratching himself up in the process, or he doubled back to leave the property from the front without being seen on any cameras, or... he never left the back yard at all.

Problem is, none of these seem overly likely. This is a puzzler for sure.

MOO
I've been hung up on these details, too.
Also, if he were going for a run to cool off or whatever, he wouldn't care whether he appeared on any security cameras. It seems more likely he would have gone down the front drive. Was that the route he usually took when going for a training run?

He's also not wearing a reflective vest, which, I assume he would normally do when running after dark.

I find it odd that their relationship had deteriored so much that they were discussing splitting up when they just adopted their youngest son together in April.

Also I think it's totally possible that he did harm himself and just hasn't been found yet. I can think of two cases that were both on this site of people who were missing and were later found having hung themselves in trees in areas that had been searched because searchers are looking down not up, one i know was in Kansas in the winter when trees were bare. Tyler was a marathon runner and could have run way out of the range of searches too.
When searching there are some people that walk along looking for the missing person standing around wearing the clothes they were last seen in. It frustrates me. People can disappear very quickly into tall grass or where there is vegetation. If they are hypothermic they will take off their clothes because they feel warm. I've seen so many situations where the missing person is deceased in the bush and have been missed by searchers.
I think that Tyler did harm himself, especially reading what his husband had said. His marriage was over. Big decisions had to be made. Children were involved. Sounds like it could be volatile at times.

The thing is, if he intended to go for a run, wouldn't he have headed down the driveway to the road, not into the backyard?

And if he was wearing only light (running) clothes, and actually left the property from the backyard, he would have had to push his way through the briars that were previously mentioned as being fairly intense.

So it seems to me he either did that, probably scratching himself up in the process, or he doubled back to leave the property from the front without being seen on any cameras, or... he never left the back yard at all.

Problem is, none of these seem overly likely. This is a puzzler for sure.

MOO
JMO The more I read the more I think he wasn't in a good state of mind. I don't think he was thinking how he normally would and as a result, did some odd stuff that he wouldn't normally do and is illogical to us.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he either did scratch himself up badly or left the property from the front. Both are weird but the whole case is weird. JMO

Lonnie, who is a retired school teacher, told Dateline a story that he says exemplifies who his son is as a person. “When he was in elementary, our cooks always provided cookies to the kids at lunchtime. So Tyler came home one weekend... and said, ‘Dad, the cooks make us cookies every day. Can we make cookies for the cooks?’” he said. “So we made cookies so Tyler could take them to the cooks just to repay them for their kindness.”

“He was just a good person. I would say he was always a champion of the underdog,” Lonnie said.

“He persevered through everything. He pushed himself. He believed, I think, in excellence. He strove to be his best at things,” Lonnie said. “He wanted to get his master’s degree, got it in 14 weeks and four days -- talk about driven,” the proud father recounted. “He always told me he was going to be warden,” Lonnie said. “He said, ‘I will end up being warden someday.’ So maybe that truly was his ultimate goal.”

Dateline spoke with one of Tyler’s friends, Rachel Barth. “Tyler and I have been friends since kindergarten,” she said. “Tyler was one of those people that just made friends easily.”
what kind of masters degree can you get in 14 weeks (and four days) ?

what kind of masters degree can you get in 14 weeks (and four days) ?
Online schools with a competency model, like Western Governors University (where I am attending for my master's - it is a certified/legitimate school even though it's no Ivy), let you pass classes at your own place, so theoretically, you could get a master's online during 14 weeks. every once in a while someone at WGU does that. I finished all the classes besides student teaching in my master's in teaching in 18 weeks. I would assume that if it's not a misspoken reference to a school semester it's a situation like that.

This is one of the rare occasions I do not believe the spouse was involved. I too see this as someone who was devastated, lost, and frantic and tragedy ensued whether intentional or not.
I feel so much pain for everyone in this situation, I’m not sure there will be any answers which will continue to drive wedges between all of his loved ones :(

I've commented on how far Tyler potentially could have run away from the house.

But having taken a good look at the dense trees surrounding the property, I also think the opposite is possible: that he could still be *really* close to the house and the searches have somehow missed finding him.
There have been so many cases where people's bodies have ended up in areas very close to where they have least been seen, and especially in areas with conditions like where Tyler disappeared (rural areas, briar patches, etc.). Remains can be very difficult to locate in the best of conditions, I imagine in a rural area with briar in the midwest in the winter is a less than ideal condition to search for anyone in. All JMO

There have been so many cases where people's bodies have ended up in areas very close to where they have least been seen, and especially in areas with conditions like where Tyler disappeared (rural areas, briar patches, etc.). Remains can be very difficult to locate in the best of conditions, I imagine in a rural area with briar in the midwest in the winter is a less than ideal condition to search for anyone in. All JMO

The location in the original missing person report is "his home near Southwest 12th and Burnham streets." This is what that location looks like:

TG3.jpg

The location in the original missing person report is "his home near Southwest 12th and Burnham streets." This is what that location looks like:

View attachment 469882
Thanks for posting! I can completely see it being very difficult to find someone in this kind of area. People tend to underestimate often how difficult it is to find remains. JMO

In this case the two boys weren't babies, though. The older of the two boys is 17 and the other only a few years younger.
That would cause an even bigger alterations in their family life, because these kids will have endured a lifetime of trauma, and now potentially this?

That would cause an even bigger alterations in their family life, because these kids will have endured a lifetime of trauma, and now potentially this?

No argument from me on that. It's a massive change to the family dynamic, and likely one that Tyler and Marshall didn't foresee.

I don't think anyone would envy the position Marshall is in to begin with, but especially when you take into the account that they have two adopted older sons who are likely to have faced a lot of trauma before coming into the family coupled with the toll of one of their dads disappearing. :( No matter what you may think of him IMO it is important to think about the toll it is taking on him, and the rest of the family.

Thanks for posting! I can completely see it being very difficult to find someone in this kind of area. People tend to underestimate often how difficult it is to find remains. JMO
Not to be graphic but depending on how much time has elapsed, the scent alone often gives it away. But then, one would have to be searching in the vicinity at the right window of time in order to detect it.

I feel like there must be telltale signs to an expert in SAR who might know what to look for. Like a Man Tracker type of technique. They don't seem to be searching as if they are looking for a body but this many weeks with no contact, it's hard not to think of self harm at this point. The only thing I can't get past is how would TG do that to himself? He seemingly didn't have much with him when he left, hard to imagine someone completing SH without a weapon, a belt/rope/pills etc.

Again, sorry for being graphic! I just don't think anyone would stay away this long without making contact. JMO.

Not to be graphic but depending on how much time has elapsed, the scent alone often gives it away. But then, one would have to be searching in the vicinity at the right window of time in order to detect it.

I feel like there must be telltale signs to an expert in SAR who might know what to look for. Like a Man Tracker type of technique. They don't seem to be searching as if they are looking for a body but this many weeks with no contact, it's hard not to think of self harm at this point. The only thing I can't get past is how would TG do that to himself? He seemingly didn't have much with him when he left, hard to imagine someone completing SH without a weapon, a belt/rope/pills etc.

Again, sorry for being graphic! I just don't think anyone would stay away this long without making contact. JMO.
It's definitely a strong possibility as I think nothing can be ruled out. He left through the garage I believe and could have put something in his pocket. There's a few ways to SH I think as well that don't involve an object brought to the scene. All these cases, in my opinion, where a parent who has children at home disappears are super sad. Especially this time of year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back