Netflix or Amazon Prime recommendations

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On Prime, I wanted an interesting documentary called Gloriavale. There are 3 episodes available free on Prime.

I watched Kim’s Convenience on Netflix. Four seasons available and a fifth should be available soon.
Gloriavale is great! Glad someone else saw this obscure little doc.

On Prime, I wanted an interesting documentary called Gloriavale. There are 3 episodes available free on Prime.

I watched Kim’s Convenience on Netflix. Four seasons available and a fifth should be available soon.
There are more episodes but only available on TVNZ which I can’t get. Would love to see the new episodes!

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/gloriavale-the-return
I really enjoy the British "House" series ( not sure what they are officially called ) like Edwardian Country House, Victorian Slum House, 1920s House....Gloriavale reminded me of these. Not mysteries,but I love culture docs too!

Netflix
Brain on fire

HBO
Baby God

Last edited:
There are more episodes but only available on TVNZ which I can’t get. Would love to see the new episodes!

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/gloriavale-the-return

I watched the first episode, and then opted to google the group.

Gloriavale leader dies: Bizarre world of Hopeful Christian - NZ Herald

"Christian, who founded the isolated community in 1969, was its leader for more than 40 years.

He served 11 months in prison in 1995 on sexual abuse charges.

Christian retired from the board of trustees in 2010 but was still the "overseeing shepherd". This gave him the power to appoint himself back on to the board and to appoint new members."

I watched the first episode, and then opted to google the group.

Gloriavale leader dies: Bizarre world of Hopeful Christian - NZ Herald

"Christian, who founded the isolated community in 1969, was its leader for more than 40 years.

He served 11 months in prison in 1995 on sexual abuse charges.

Christian retired from the board of trustees in 2010 but was still the "overseeing shepherd". This gave him the power to appoint himself back on to the board and to appoint new members."

Holy Moses. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But for some reason,as strange or creepy as the community was in the beginning,by the end it seemed like a truly happy place, not a cult. Very sad.

I watched one about Bundy. I didn't know he escaped from custody twice. Didn't know he also got married (in jail) and had a kid. His eyes are so evil looking. Right now I'm watching The trials of Gabriel Fernandez. It's very upsetting. I had to stop twice the other night and I can't binge-watch it - gotta take breaks. Poor little boy.
There are so many Bundy series now. There was a good one on Prime that is told from his longtime partner and her daughter.
2 of his victims were killed less than 2 miles from me at Lake Sammamish. He was horrible and evil, but he's still compelling to watch.

This is probably not exactly what you’re looking for, but I just watched unbelievable on Netflix. It’s a limited series based on a true story about a serial rapist. Parts of it will make you crazy mad and disturbed, but it’s not gory. And the relationship between the two female detectives who finally put all the pieces together and catch the sob is amazing. Toni Colette plays one of them and I can’t remember the name of the other one but they are both just excellent. I’ll three of the main female characters are played so well.
I've avoided this only because I thought it involved a mentally challenged girl. It looks good. I can watch horror and thrillers,but not heartbreaking stuff. I like being scared,not sad...please post if I'm wrong on this one

I can't seem to get into Crown - it took multiple viewings to get through episode 1 and I couldn't tell you what happened in it ... the accents are hard for me to unravel and it just seems so boring
I'm disappointed cause I love British shows ... I couldn't get enough of Downton Abbey and saw the movie too
someone tell me the Crown gets better>
I thought I was the only one who didn't click with The Crown! I love the movie Gosford Park and tons of British shows too. Maybe I need to commit to Downton Abbey. It was slow and didn't hook me right away,so I put it off and now am too overwhelmed by how much I'd need to watch.

Is Brain on Fire depressing? I love dark,but can't do sad.

Hi. It’s a true story.
All I can recommend is google the person it is about... see her outcome. That might give you a synopsis of what to expect.
Take care.

MOO

Last edited:
Is Brain on Fire depressing? I love dark,but can't do sad.
I can’t do sad either; I really hateeee it. I haven’t seen the Firefly Lane series on Netflix, but I read the book years ago and ugly sob cried.

I was pissed. LOL

I just thought I’d warn my fellow sad TV/movie haters.

Just finished binging Bridgerton on Netflix. It is a drama from Shonda Rhimes (Greys Anatomy, Scandal ) that centers around the Bridgerton family in Regency England. I am sure it is historically inaccurate but is escapist, bodice-ripping fun. Do not watch it with your kids!

Bridgerton - Wikipedia
Just binged on Bridgerton-- whoo boy.. I loved it !!!
It is a bit different, but sexy, gossipy and royalty all in one show.

Also watched the movie "The Vanished" on Netflix.
About a couple whose daughter goes missing.

I need to catch up on Ozark-- watched the first 2 seasons and loved it but havent caught up with new seasons yet.

Just getting ready to catch up on Dead to Me series. Loved the first season.

Schitts Creek-- I have rewatched 3 times LOL

I look forward to some more suggestions-- it's a cold, snowy winter and I am working from home so I am in hibernation mode :P

I thought I was the only one who didn't click with The Crown! I love the movie Gosford Park and tons of British shows too. Maybe I need to commit to Downton Abbey. It was slow and didn't hook me right away,so I put it off and now am too overwhelmed by how much I'd need to watch.

once I got through the first two episodes, it becomes addicting - I binged most of it and didn't want it to end

Loved Murder on Middle Beach too. I check for updates on that heartbreaking case.
My recommendations.... Murders at White House Farm on HBOmax. Dramatized true story of a British case. Great acting, shocking story and one that sticks with you.

Equinox on Netflix. A fantastic new Danish series that delves into the disappearance of 22 high school students and the sister of one who investigates years later. Deals with occult rituals and is dark, but not gory. Loved it.

Oldenheim 12 and Shoendam (sp.?) 12 on Acorn (British subscription on Amazon) Dutch. Both addictive whodunnits.

The Missing. On Starz,but available on Amazon prime. Both seasons are great. Set in France, Germany, Belgium and UK, the first season starts slow,but is worth it. I immediately began binging season 2 after,and loved it more. There is a spin-off now called Baptiste( the weary compassionate detective from The Missing) on PBS Masterpiece. Just started,but good.

Department Q. Mysteries. Danish. Available on AMC+. If it isn't there anymore, rent them. These are my favorites. Dark and brooding with 2 detectives who investigate cold cases. The Absent One is the best. It is the second,but you don't need to watch them in order. I've rewatched them, and I wish there were more.

The Head on HBOmax. Whodunnit set in Antarctica, where a dark winter ends,and a researcher's headless body is found. Great to watch with coffee and covers.

I don't really care about series that are episodic...obv. there are exceptions, but these all revolve around a central mystery or case. I'd love feedback if you watch any of these. Hope you like them!

Thanks...I watched “ The Head”
Very interesting ending !

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Devon_SP