New Developments and General Discussion, 08/10/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you an insider? If not, what makes you speak so authoritatively?

To your point, I should have done a better job of labeling it as ***Hearsay*** (as I've done with other bits of info I've received, every one of which has turned out true, I might add).

FYI, I haven't posted names, addresses, or photos. But, that being said, if it turns out that the info I have received is inaccurate, I'll retract it.

I started the process to be verified by WS over 2 weeks ago. To this date no one has attempted to call me to actually do the verification,only sent me an email asking what would be a good time to call. Having said that, I think it is necessary for me to defend my family from inaccurate association and disinformation.
I posted an excerpt from and article indicating that the bio sister was a key witness and has completely cooperated with the investigation. I would think it would be enough to know that LE has all the information they need in that regard. Associating a meat packing store to BSL to the person that owns the meat processing store is false. That person has a similar name and does not know nor is associated with BSL, nor is he married to the bio sister of BSL.

unless i missed it, because i turned it on at 1002, baton rouge news didn't give any coverage tonight

Not that it matters, but that map showed an incorrect location for the bio-sister. Not even close.

Perhaps we should not be saying bio sister... Do we know for fact he reported truck stolen from "bio" sister's house?

I started the process to be verified by WS over 2 weeks ago. To this date no one has attempted to call me to actually do the verification,only sent me an email asking what would be a good time to call. Having said that, I think it is necessary for me to defend my family from inaccurate association and disinformation.
I posted an excerpt from and article indicating that the bio sister was a key witness and has completely cooperated with the investigation. I would think it would be enough to know that LE has all the information they need in that regard. Associating a meat packing store to BSL to the person that owns the meat processing store is false. That person has a similar name and does not know nor is associated with BSL, nor is he married to the bio sister of BSL.

Welcome again garry :) let me get a moderator for you so that maybe they can help !

Thank you for the clarification.

In the spirit of not wanting to air false information (which is why I've erred on the side of extreme caution in prior posts), I will go back and edit my OP to reflect the above, citing you as a source.

And, to clarify on a bit of nuance here: the info I was given said "deer processing", not "meat packing". More to your point, though: perhaps it's mistaken identity of the bio-sister's husband. I'll do my own investigating based on what I was given.

Cheers.

Hey there, GarryB... How are you holdin' up?

Quite frustrated and disgusted by the whole thing. My sincerest thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims families, but it should be understood that others have also been devastated by this.

IMPondering

Thanks so much for the time you took and the pictures. For those of us not in the area you have no idea how much it helps us!

Thank you!

will they allow any news channel to video tomorrow's hearing? i know it says no phones etc, but does that include the media??

On KATC's news, I am pretty sure they said something about maybe a webcast? NOT inside the room but it is open to the public. They will probably have a reporter inside that will then report after the fact ... JMO

Thank you for the clarification.

In the spirit of not wanting to air false information (which is why I've erred on the side of extreme caution in prior posts), I will go back and edit my OP to reflect the above, citing you as a source.

And, to clarify on a bit of nuance here: the info I was given said "deer processing", not "meat packing". More to your point, though: perhaps it's mistaken identity of the bio-sister's husband. I'll do my own investigating based on what I was given.

Cheers.
I get confused sometimes . There was a poster several weeks ago McGill that actually posted a map to this place of business and was saying it was the bio sisters husbands business. I flagged it and had it removed, so was rather frustrated when I saw that same thing posted again. I think McGill wrote it as a meat packing deer processing plant. Either way, this person does not know BSL.

It is complete speculation on my part but I think bsl lied about it being his sisters house the truck was stolen from. I think the sister lives more than 30 mins from that address.

I’ve been following these forums for two months and wondering if I should register. But unless there was a French mystery, I am not sure what I could add. But then came the French mystery. So I researched a bit and here’s my contribution. I apologize for the length.

I’m fluent in French (degrees, etc.) and speak Cajun French most every day. I’m pretty familiar with language evolution and with Louisiana French.

The short version of what I’ve found: Pin Clair is the name of the settlement that is now gone but for the cemetery. Pinseclair is a typo or some similar mistake that happened recently and got multiplied a zillion times by the web. The term “pin clair” means light-colored pine, probably something different from the longleaf pine that predominates in that area, which is called “pin rouge” (“red pine”).

Longer version:
“Pinseclair” makes no sense in French, as is. It puzzled me to no end when I first saw that on Google Maps. I think it was MissKJN who suggested “Pins éclair” (“éclair” means lightning, as she pointed out. Not impossible, but not too alluring as a possibility. And that middle syllable would survive in pronunciations as a strong “ay” sound. Is it a clearing? A clearing in the pines along the pine/prairie line is called an “anse” (a cove) in Cajun French, which leads to place names like L’Anse Grise and Roberts Cove.

All of the “Pinseclair” instances on the web seem to come from some earlier web version. I guess that there is an original instance, but it seems to be the web endlessly quoting itself.

“Pin Clair” (or homonyms “Pins Clair” or “Pain Clair”), on the other hand, does figure in a number of historical pieces on the web. I learned that Saint Katharine Drexel actually founded a school at this settlement for children of color (maybe Native American, maybe African-American, maybe both….). Maybe that was mentioned in the local news. The Catholic church that was there has since been folded into the Mamou church, St. Ann. Their webpage offers an informative paragraph on this page: http://saintannmamou.org/about/parish-history/.

I’ve heard this pronounced “pin clair.” (As has been noted, “pin” sounds like “pan” without the actual n sound.) That seems right. I live in a different part of Acadiana, though, and am wondering how to call up St. Ann’s or my lawyer friend in that parish to ask how they pronounce the cemetery name. Tastefully.

Thanks for this amazing network of concern.

It is complete speculation on my part but I think bsl lied about it being his sisters house the truck was stolen from. I think the sister lives more than 30 mins from that address.

You may be right. I guess someone who is lying to a police officer about his truck being stolen wouldnt have any qualms about lying about whose residence it is that he is at, but even if LE didnt verify that information at the time, surely, in light of all that has transpired, they know whose residence it was by now. JMO

So now it seems he was NOT at his sister's house?. But he WAS at that address. So what is his relation to the people who live there???

Quite frustrated and disgusted by the whole thing. My sincerest thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims families, but it should be understood that others have also been devastated by this.

garryb, I gasp when I see you are online! I feel you know things none of us do. I sense your frustration and disgustion to be quite personal.

Hey everyone. I've been scarce lately, buying and moving into our new home (and no internet for a week), and now on vacation with my family. My SIL is doing ok, considering everything. Sometimes I look back on the day when she told me they hadn't talked to Mickey since the night before, and I can't believe it's been nearly 3 months. I'm just grateful that they have a suspect and they have Mickey home. I don't know how Charlie and whole Shunick family do it, but they've handled this awful situation with dignity. My SIL will never get over this, but I know she intends to live a happy life, because that's what Mickey would want. Please continue to send your prayers and thoughts to the Shunicks, they need them everyday. And thanks y'all for all the hard work you do here. I just wanted to say that.

You may be right. I guess someone who is lying to a police officer about his truck being stolen wouldnt have any qualms about lying about whose residence it is that he is at, but even if LE didnt verify that information at the time, surely, in light of all that has transpired, they know whose residence it was by now. JMO

Yes, they know. If I, a newbie sleuther know they know. I know nothing about the person who does live there but I am 99% sure it is not his bio half sister.

I’ve been following these forums for two months and wondering if I should register. But unless there was a French mystery, I am not sure what I could add. But then came the French mystery. So I researched a bit and here’s my contribution. I apologize for the length.

I’m fluent in French (degrees, etc.) and speak Cajun French most every day. I’m pretty familiar with language evolution and with Louisiana French.

The short version of what I’ve found: Pin Clair is the name of the settlement that is now gone but for the cemetery. Pinseclair is a typo or some similar mistake that happened recently and got multiplied a zillion times by the web. The term “pin clair” means light-colored pine, probably something different from the longleaf pine that predominates in that area, which is called “pin rouge” (“red pine”).

Longer version:
“Pinseclair” makes no sense in French, as is. It puzzled me to no end when I first saw that on Google Maps. I think it was MissKJN who suggested “Pins éclair” (“éclair” means lightning, as she pointed out. Not impossible, but not too alluring as a possibility. And that middle syllable would survive in pronunciations as a strong “ay” sound. Is it a clearing? A clearing in the pines along the pine/prairie line is called an “anse” (a cove) in Cajun French, which leads to place names like L’Anse Grise and Roberts Cove.

All of the “Pinseclair” instances on the web seem to come from some earlier web version. I guess that there is an original instance, but it seems to be the web endlessly quoting itself.

“Pin Clair” (or homonyms “Pins Clair” or “Pain Clair”), on the other hand, does figure in a number of historical pieces on the web. I learned that Saint Katharine Drexel actually founded a school at this settlement for children of color (maybe Native American, maybe African-American, maybe both….). Maybe that was mentioned in the local news. The Catholic church that was there has since been folded into the Mamou church, St. Ann. Their webpage offers an informative paragraph on this page: http://saintannmamou.org/about/parish-history/.

I’ve heard this pronounced “pin clair.” (As has been noted, “pin” sounds like “pan” without the actual n sound.) That seems right. I live in a different part of Acadiana, though, and am wondering how to call up St. Ann’s or my lawyer friend in that parish to ask how they pronounce the cemetery name. Tastefully.

Thanks for this amazing network of concern.

Welcome to Websleuths!

:welcome:

Absolutely NO WINNERS HERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member