Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran away. . . With help.
So is that abduction? In the eyes of the law?
If you are 14 years old--just out of middle school, it's risky for you to be missing no matter how the episode got started. If you plan to leave--you might not pack a single thing!--you might not be thinking too far ahead. I believe we are sometimes imagining an older girl--even a mature 14/15 year old (a ninth grader)--is still very young, impulsive, lacks experience in the world. Lacks good judgment skills.

As for social media--kids can have many accounts under different names.

Ran away. . . With help.
So is that abduction? In the eyes of the law?
If you are 14 years old--just out of middle school, it's risky for you to be missing no matter how the episode got started. If you plan to leave--you might not pack a single thing!--you might not be thinking too far ahead. I believe we are sometimes imagining an older girl--even a mature 14/15 year old (a ninth grader)--is still very young, impulsive, lacks experience in the world. Lacks good judgment skills.

As for social media--kids can have many accounts under different names.

Well anytime an adult at the very least allows a minor to not to be home with their parents where they belong, that's interference with custody.... in a sense sort of abduction, but a lesser charge

I don't take the parents' pleas directly to Abby to mean that they believe she necessarily has it in her power to come home. If my child ever went missing, I'd be saying that also.

It is quite possible that Abby is alive and being held against her will. At some point, she may some access to information about herself or other missing children. I would absolutely want my child to know that we missed him or her and wanted the child home. I would want my child to know he was not "damaged goods" and that there would be no recriminations against them for anything they might have done that contributed to their abduction or while they were captive. I would want my child to know he or she would be welcomed wholeheartedly and unconditionally.

Elizabeth Smart saw her flyers in Salt Lake the summer she was abducted. In the spring, she saw flyers at a Wal-Mart for other missing kids and wondered why there was not one for her. Shawn Hornbeck eventually had Internet access and even posted on the missing page his parents had set up. The Cleveland kidnapper taunted Michelle Knight with the fact that no one was looking for her.

Plus, I would say anything to get coverage in the media. To paraphrase PK, I would say anything as long as my child's picture was being shown. I'd want it out there my child is still missing!

Where would she go though? What were the dreams her Mom spoke about? There doesn't seem to be a hint of another guy involved, so where would she take off to and to live out what dream? Does her FB page give any clues? I'll never be a good sleuther because I just dislike and avoid ever having to go to FB but I'd think her social media would give some kind of clues about her aspirations.

I would guess she would be with her Father's family.

Kids do that. Mad at mom..go to dad's. Mad at dad..go to mom's.

Dad has a large family in Texas so I am sure they are looking hard down there. Does that family extend into Mexico since they are hispanic?

TN has been mentioned several times so perhaps she could be there.

I never think of Abby being a runaway and living homeless on the mean streets of NY but it happens to lots of kids every year. Could this be the case? They have no means of communication and people search the streets constantly for their kids. Lost souls...

Then there is the sex traffic which I have also not considered in this case but it happens. Abby is beautiful and she looks older than her 14 years. A prime target...maybe.

We look at what we are most comfortable with and know a bit about.

Homeless teens on the streets and sex traffic are something I know very little about so I don't really consider them in missing cases.

Out of the thousands of kids that go missing each year I can count on my hands the ones that are finally found and returned to their family. Not very good statistics for the missing.

There have been so many instances of people being held for months, years, decades... The news from the UK yesterday about the 3 women held captive for 30 years is so disturbing. Some times the victim is kept in a separate location like a shed; sometimes a basement or attic. In extreme cases, the kidnapper even builds an underground bunker like the Fritzl case and others in the US. Sometimes the person is hidden in a closet in a bedroom. There was a case where a teen girl was kept in a closet when the kidnapper wasn't home and others who lived in the house claimed not to know.

Abigail could be being held by a local or someone who abducted her and took her elsewhere. Unless and until her body is found, LE must keep investigating and her family and the public should keep looking. I didn't see the press conference yesterday but I heard the promos on the NH news. If I was not someone following the case closely, the coverage the PC generated, even just in the headlines, would be a reminder that Abby is still missing.

Where would she go though? What were the dreams her Mom spoke about? There doesn't seem to be a hint of another guy involved, so where would she take off to and to live out what dream? Does her FB page give any clues? I'll never be a good sleuther because I just dislike and avoid ever having to go to FB but I'd think her social media would give some kind of clues about her aspirations.

My guess would be movie star. In the mind of a quiet, teen girl, it would provide all sorts of validation that she may not have felt she was getting at home and school. It also provides an identity, appealing to young people who lack a strong sense of who they are and what they want in life. They look outside themselves for approval. Obviously, this isn't a healthy mindset. I hope Abby is safe and returns home. She needs long-term therapy to help prepare her for life, and it isn't her fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seem to recall that on one of AH's social media pages there is a colour picture of a big city with lots of lights in the dark.
As a caption AH is writing something like I'd love to check this out, but at the same time I feel scared about it... Can't recall the exact phrasing right now and seem unable to find the page in question at the moment.
Is there a chance after all that AH might perhaps have run away to a big city? Boston would come to mind here...
Just a possibility IMHO.

Did AH sing? I could see some child running away to an Idol audition. If she models, America's next top model. Etc. When I was in HS another classmate ran away to NY to try out for a broadway musical. He hitchhiked to NY and auditioned, didn't make it and hid out on the streets down there for almost three months before he came home. At the time we all thought he was such a rebel and so cool, looking back as an adult it sends shivers down my spine! Kids can be so unbelievably cavalier about their safety.

just did a quick google check on auditions in october 2013, and there were several. X Factor, The Voice and America's Got Talent were all doing auditions at that time. As well as others like Master Chef, the Theater Alliance ( a "mega" audition), American Idol, Disney was running some and Six Flags for the holiday shows.

Somehow I have gotten very confused with the Facebook pages. If someone has a minute can someone list them and who runs them, please

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

If you type "abigail hernandez" in the search bar on your fb page they'll all come up. Who's running them shouldn't even be an issue and doesn't even matter in the whole scheme of things. It's just good to know not to direct anyone to anyone else's "missing" fb page so you don't step on anyone's toes. All the pages are for the purpose of getting AH's face out there and that's what the focus should be, the drama is incidental and takes away from the purpose of getting this child's face out there so she can be found and safely returned to those who love her. I merely responded to Adnil's post to ease the slap on the hand s/he received by making an innocent post on a fb page, not to start another thread about who owns which fb page and the apparent ensuing secondary drama in regards to a missing child. I'm not saying don't discuss it, but in the whole scheme of things it's not worth opening up that can of worms! :)

With the passing of time I am sure the drama will only increase on the Missing pages. I rarely go to any of them as I am looking for information or opinions. But, that's just me.

If you type "abigail hernandez" in the search bar on your fb page they'll all come up. Who's running them shouldn't even be an issue and doesn't even matter in the whole scheme of things. It's just good to know not to direct anyone to anyone else's "missing" fb page so you don't step on anyone's toes. All the pages are for the purpose of getting AH's face out there and that's what the focus should be, the drama is incidental and takes away from the purpose of getting this child's face out there so she can be found and safely returned to those who love her. I merely responded to Adnil's post to ease the slap on the hand s/he received by making an innocent post on a fb page, not to start another thread about who owns which fb page and the apparent ensuing secondary drama in regards to a missing child. I'm not saying don't discuss it, but in the whole scheme of things it's not worth opening up that can of worms! :)

Agree the more the better to get the word out about her! Doesn't really matter who runs the pages, they should all be collaborating to get Abby home. The fact that there is any drama is sad and wasted energy.

Any word on the case or are we reduced to comparing the various FB pages and the drama that ensues from that situation now?

Where are you Abby?

There really isn't anything to discuss. The few bones that are thrown out are hints about a possible runaway situation--a dangerous one, perhaps. But, our job as onlookers is now to spread the picture and the word. That's all. If LE has heard from her or if they know about POIs, we don't. We have very little to talk about. So, we can offer prayers, but other than the soap opera of the various support teams--which really are a distraction--there doesn't seem to anything.

Let's please stop the discussion about the drama on the FB pages. Also, we do not allow discussions about fund-raising.

I have always felt it unlikely that Abby ran away. Don't know why I feel this way but I feel she was abducted....or perhaps met someone and something terrible happened. The fact that we have nothing is heartbreaking. She vanished.

I am still leaning towards abduction as well shefner :(

I wish I believed she ran away. While that would still mean she is in danger as the world is a dangerous place for run aways, they are a special sort of vulnerable on the streets, It would mean she still had some control over her situation.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member