Found Deceased NH - Celina Cass, 11, Stewartstown, 25 July 2011 #10 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed the very beginning. Did anyone ask her about the blanket...and could confirm? tia

No. There was no mention.

What was interesting to me was that a reporter asked if the community should be concerned that there is a child killer (or some such terminology) walking amongst them free and AG said everyone should have "heightened vigilance." She didn't downplay it at all, IMO.

One thing that the ME knows for sure is whether she was dead when she went into the water. I'm leaning toward no.

For some reason I have thought since the beginning that this didn't take place at home.

I know the things flying out there about the family, but even still, I have felt it was possible that Celina snuck out of the house and something took place then.

What if she met up with friends? But even further, as someone else pointed out, we have unsolved cases in what we refer to around here as the north country for years now. There is even an unsolved murder that took place in a home a couple years ago, Stacy Burns, http://abcnews.go.com/US/stacey-burns-murder-killed-hampshire-mom/story?id=12719134 and no arrests have ever been made.

I just really have a gut feeling that what happened to Celina didn't happen in that house. I just hope to God that it doesn't take the same course as Stacy Burns.

The town seemed so happy and not worried at all.
That made me think they all KNEW who did what.
Now maybe they better hold their babies tight and not be so naive'.
If there is a killer amongst them!

T

Ditto! I agree. I believe that Celina was lured out of the house or someone came in (not as likely). I really feel there is something sinister operating in the north country. Until proven, I do not believe Celina was killed by anyone in her family. The AG knows exactly what Celina died from, I do not buy their vague explanations. If you die there is a reason, just like if you are gone, you are not there. They are stalling for a reason. Justice for Celia!! Skier

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe the AG's office is deliberately playing clueless. I think they really are dumbfounded on this case. I do not believe they know the cause of Celina's death, either. If they did, they would have little, if any, reason not to reveal it. Being a quiet, shy, pretty much introverted girl, I find it hard to imagine her being lured out of the house in the dark of night unless it was by someone she felt very comfortable with, such as resident of the house. It's not uncommon for people to go out to grab a pizza or sub at 9 or 10 PM. I'm sure DNA, finger prints and hairs from everyone in the house are all over the place and this would make it that much more difficult to identify a perp if he/she was a member of the household. I believe LE is waiting for the go-ahead from doctors to further interview WN. But at the same time, I don't believe he had anything to do with Celina's disappearance.

One thing that the ME knows for sure is whether she was dead when she went into the water. I'm leaning toward no.

Muscle spasms in the area around the voice box block the airway, often due to immersion in cold water. This is known as apnoea. No water enters the lungs. Around 10% of drownings are dry drownings.

Public Donations Accepted For Cass Reward

Assistant Attorney General Jane Young said no arrests have been made, and she would not comment on how close they are to making an arrest.

"Our goal is anybody involved in Celina's disappearance and ultimately death be brought to justice," she said. The Attorney General's Office said 580 leads and tips have been received and investigators are still waiting on various forensic tests. Young said they have spoken to a number of witnesses. She said investigations can take weeks and sometimes months. "If we ever get to a trial in this case, we want to make sure we have enough evidence," she said. Anyone with information is asked to call the state police at 603-846-3333. "Until an arrest is made, we are asked that [the public is] heightened in their vigilance," she said.

http://www.wmur.com/news/28901887/detail.html#ixzz1VOI2ryoY

"If we ever get to a trial.." There are only a few reason they wouldn't get to a trial............if they never charged anyone with the crime..........if the accused were to die before a trial got underway....or if the accused were to be declared incompetent to stand trial. In any event, her use of the word "if" rather than the word "when" speaks volumes.

"If we ever get to a trial.." There are only a few reason they wouldn't get to a trial............if they never charged anyone with the crime..........if the accused were to die before a trial got underway....or if the accused were to be declared incompetent to stand trial. In any event, her use of the word "if" rather than the word "when" speaks volumes.

Or, if they have no conclusive evidence pointing to anyone.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe the AG's office is deliberately playing clueless. I think they really are dumbfounded on this case.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe the AG's office is deliberately playing clueless (I don't see that they are clueless or are playing clueless), nor do I think they are dumbfounded. They probably have good reason for not revealing what they do know.

In today's press conference there was nothing new revealed other than changing the rewards to "arrest and prosecution".

If you listen to the press conference JY seemed to emphasize that making a case is like putting a puzzle together. And it was clear to me that the subtext was not that we need to solve this case, but that we need to have sufficient evidence to get a conviction - a much tougher job than solving the case. In a quote from the news conference "...in order to build a criminal case we have to have all the fundamental components because if we ever get to a trial in this case we want to insure that we have enough evidence to reach a just result which would be a finding of guilty...".

I also believe that they know the cause of death simply because they have never said that they do not know. They only say the ME results are "pending". I know some have interpreted that to mean they don't know. I don't think that is the correct interpretation.

JY said they have already received 500+ tips. Proportionally-speaking, that's a lot of tips for such a small town. I think people are talking. She also mentioned that LE is working on a time line.

Unfortunately I missed the press conference but my take from the fourth estate's excerpts is positive because it appears to me that the State of NH is NOT jumping to conclusions, playing on hysteria or hyperbole but are conducting exhaustive investigation.
:twocents: IMHO & personal belief/ logical thought process, the toxicology results are a lynch pin point in ASSISTING in determining the MOD. :innocent: SPECULATION/INSTRUCTIONAL INFORMATION DATA points to follow:
IF there were unique prescription meds within the stomach contents, then a variety of probable/possible scenarios can be hypothesized to "go with" the physical conditions of the body (NONE of which we as "lay persons" are privy to at this time). Those prescription meds can be "traced" back to the probable/possible legally medicated individual. By requesting information of the public regarding the activity of principles within Celina's life days prior to her July 25 departure, a "behavioral or psychological autopsy" can be performed of both her and those in her life. (Hence the FBI skill sets, in addition to any physical, chemical or clinical laboratory ones, utilized).

Her "IF it gets to trial" quote seems to me as another New Englander born & bred as a reality check that this isn't a "glory game", slam dunk but what we are all about, work hard and achieve the justice as due.

IMVHO, Ms Young did NOT minimize the community's need to remain hyper vigilant because that's just plain old common sense in 2011, even in the North Country! The "good ole country bumpkin" image is NOT what she want national displaying, " less' in many more them there "critters" come a'callin'".:sick:

:twocents: Drowning death CAN be tricky as in a small percentage of cases the victim may technically "drown", that is die in the fluid but NOT have fluid within the lungs. (these cases are called dry drownings).
Dry drowning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That given, there ARE other histological clues :woohoo: that can and will be used in conjunction with the other details of the post. :waitasec: Think of determing the cause and manner of death as a huge game of clue with the human body as the game board, pieces and clues! (AND....NO DISRESPECT INTENDED!)

PS: While I don't use the above cited link in my daily grind :innocent:, mods have indicated wiki IS an acceptable link to explain technical "stuff"!

I don't live up north, but I do live in a small town. Senath was a small town, too, i guess. This world is not what it used to be and we ALL need to be more aware and protect these children. My daughter thinks I am going to far at times, but I don't think so. It's getting scarey everywhere. I hope they get the person/persons responsible soon.

I think you might have left one of the reasons there might not be a trial, if the accused pleads guilty to the charges, there would be no trial.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe the AG's office is deliberately playing clueless (I don't see that they are clueless or are playing clueless), nor do I think they are dumbfounded. They probably have good reason for not revealing what they do know.

In today's press conference there was nothing new revealed other than changing the rewards to "arrest and prosecution".

If you listen to the press conference JY seemed to emphasize that making a case is like putting a puzzle together. And it was clear to me that the subtext was not that we need to solve this case, but that we need to have sufficient evidence to get a conviction - a much tougher job than solving the case. In a quote from the news conference "...in order to build a criminal case we have to have all the fundamental components because if we ever get to a trial in this case we want to insure that we have enough evidence to reach a just result which would be a finding of guilty...".

I also believe that they know the cause of death simply because they have never said that they do not know. They only say the ME results are "pending". I know some have interpreted that to mean they don't know. I don't think that is the correct interpretation.

I am leaning toward it not being anyone in the household because they have not identified where the blanket came from. I base that statement on the fact that no arrest has been made. If they knew whose blanket it was or where it came from they would certainly have the perp don't you think? jmo

The thing throwing me is the new reward amount tba. I guess someone wanting to add to it, they wouldn't turn down if they aren't ready to charge someone and maybe there's some more test to come back. Someone was saying here who knows about DNA tests (sorry please speak up again) that some test take two weeks to prepare then they are sent to be tested. I have no idea what test those are though. So, with WN not being possibly in a stable condition to question or charge at the moment, and test still out there, I'm sticking to my first perp still. (I never pick the perp usually until all facts come back, I'm wishy washy that way)

It's just all the subtle hints in news releases that make me lean that way still. Maybe they are trying to throw the perp with this news. Give them some relief? Just guessing.

BBM/U :twocents: IMHO, (and STICKING my nose in here!:innocent:) the testing to which you are referring is the DNA. "Preparing" DNA exemplars is simple; swab the buccal cavity ( vigorously swab the inner surface of the cheek, avoid the teeth!), place the swab (which was once sterile) back into the sterile transport container (be sure NOT to use gel media swabs if possible!), enter into evidence bags, seal, label and ship off under testing laboratory protocol conditions (important :waitasec:'cause in court it's part of the "fatal flaw" defense syndrome if not done according to protocol!:banghead:). AT the testing lab, processing & testing can take T I M E and then there's the evaluation and reporting T I M E and the official signoff T I M E.:banghead:

The other time consuming specimen testing is histology, (fancy word for microscopic study of tissues), since any and all body tissues/specimens must be "mounted" and "cut", then stained and read by the pathologist.:seeya:

Histology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:twocents: While the actual processing of the specimen does take some time, the worst time delay is in the actual backlog of slides to be read by the pathologist! (please...requesting some sympathy here!:innocent:) and then of course, there must be a comprehensive report generated (yeah, often with research into the good ole literature!:rocker:). :banghead:So, one might say, T I M E is the enemy in the entire process because each case is SOMEBODY'S priority!:banghead::banghead:

PS: I included this reference for buccal swabs just because it has some other "cool" stuff....like info about DNA & blood/transplants/paternity!...NO it's not a lab my agency uses! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:
http://www.dnacenter.com/faq/sample-collection.html

I am leaning toward it not being anyone in the household because they have not identified where the blanket came from. I base that statement on the fact that no arrest has been made. If they knew whose blanket it was or where it came from they would certainly have the perp don't you think? jmo

The blanket goes through my mind a lot, because LE hasn't confirmed this. Nor have they denied it, but it was given to the media from a 'source'.

So. The blanket. If it was found with her, was she actually wrapped in it? Was it near her body?

Also, if Celina did sneak out, did she or another (or others) bring a blanket to sit on, so they were not sitting on the dirt/grass? I know my daughter brings blankets outside so she isn't sitting on the ground and when she doesn't feel like sitting on a chair.

For some reason I have thought since the beginning that this didn't take place at home.

I know the things flying out there about the family, but even still, I have felt it was possible that Celina snuck out of the house and something took place then.

What if she met up with friends? But even further, as someone else pointed out, we have unsolved cases in what we refer to around here as the north country for years now. There is even an unsolved murder that took place in a home a couple years ago, Stacy Burns, http://abcnews.go.com/US/stacey-burns-murder-killed-hampshire-mom/story?id=12719134 and no arrests have ever been made.

I just really have a gut feeling that what happened to Celina didn't happen in that house. I just hope to God that it doesn't take the same course as Stacy Burns.

Good luck with that thought. lol I went there and was bombarded! That was my first thought also. I still feel she left the house. jmho

The blanket thing is all pretty much rumor to me, even though reported in MSM....until it comes from a higher source, I am on the fence.

I too really wonder if she left the house basically of her own volition , after whatever parental figures retired for the night....for whatever reason....so others of you are not alone in that thought.
Because the community is so tight lipped, we don't really know what the norms for that area are. I remember slipping outside at night, several times back in 3rd- 6th grades ( once to TP the school!!) No telling what small town, or big town, kids are liable to do, ya know.

I recall in one MSM article, a townsperson did make mention of 'kids' partying in the woods. Will see if I can find it. I do know lots of towns have that kind of stuff go on, and some tend to pretend it doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!