NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
some interesting points on the car damage from the award winning investigatie article on the case. http://southshorexpress.net/content/view/81/174/

The damage to Maura's car does not match with the kind of damage typically caused by impact to a snow embankment or a tree, according to volunteer investigator John Healy.

The hood of Maura's car was pushed in, with a dent on the driver's side hood, but no significant damage was made to the car's driver side headlight or front-end bumper. If Maura had hit a tree, investigators believe there would have been significant front-end damage to her car, particularly the bumper. The damage found on Maura's car is more akin to hitting a guardrail or the back end of another vehicle, said Healy.

"We are considering that Maura may have been involved in another accident prior to her car being found on Wild Ammonoosuc," said Healy. "We're not ruling out that the accident [on Wild Ammonoosuc] could have been staged."

Investigator Frank Kelly concurs. "I will state that her vehicle was not damaged at the site where it was located and towed from," he said.

It is possible that Maura may have hit a deer or moose that evening but the damage appears more likely to have been caused by a truck or another vehicle that is higher off the ground than Maura's car, according to investigators.

I am wondering if there is perhaps something going on with this case right now. Information online on the case has been taken down in a few places and there have been references in a few places that imply possible police involvement in the crime. I REALLY hope there is a breakthrough going on behind the scenes.

I am very interested in the fact that the car damage does not match the accident report or the scene. Clearly something happened to that car besides just going off road right there.

I certainly hope this is the case.

The damage to the car is very interesting. It doesn't take an expert to read what allegedly happen and then look at the car and see they two don't exactly add up. THe way the front end is damaged is certainly looks like it hit something like a tree, another car, utility pole, etc. I believe on the topix board some posters seem to think the damage is consistent with a tow truck.
I am reciting from memory here so please correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall that there were no skid marks present either.

I am wondering if there is perhaps something going on with this case right now. Information online on the case has been taken down in a few places and there have been references in a few places that imply possible police involvement in the crime. I REALLY hope there is a breakthrough going on behind the scenes.

I am very interested in the fact that the car damage does not match the accident report or the scene. Clearly something happened to that car besides just going off road right there.

I hope there is a breakthrough too!

Some interesting points about the accident may be significant if we now view things through the lens of it being staged:

1) Some have questioned whether Maura was at the scene at all since the original call by the neighbors (as recorded in the police log) said they saw man smoking a cigarette not a woman Also the bus driver that talked to Maura said at one point early on that she didn't look much like her pictures and her hair was down. he later said he did think it was her...but he never got closer then 15-20' away and it was dusk

2) There was some possible indication of someone else being in the car - back window was cracked open and there was a beer bottle in the back seat.

3) There is a possible mysterious earlier accident (20-30 minutes earlier and within a couple miles) involving a young woman that a witness reports hearing on the police scanner but was never recorded in the police log. Accoding to the witness there was request for help and then emergency vehicles were told not to come to the scene because the woman had gotten into a private vehicle and left.

Who owned the house where the cadaver dogs were brought in? Forgive me if this has been covered already. I'm just starting to follow this case. Thanks.

Who owned the house where the cadaver dogs were brought in? Forgive me if this has been covered already. I'm just starting to follow this case. Thanks.

Oh geez....I will look for this as I know there was a name attached to it. I can say that the house was unoccupied but sat on someone's property so technically they owned it. From my understanding, a piece of carpet was taken from a closet to be analysed but this was done by PI's and the last I heard the results had not been released.

Some interesting points about the accident may be significant if we now view things through the lens of it being staged:

1) Some have questioned whether Maura was at the scene at all since the original call by the neighbors (as recorded in the police log) said they saw man smoking a cigarette not a woman Also the bus driver that talked to Maura said at one point early on that she didn't look much like her pictures and her hair was down. he later said he did think it was her...but he never got closer then 15-20' away and it was dusk

2) There was some possible indication of someone else being in the car - back window was cracked open and there was a beer bottle in the back seat.

3) There is a possible mysterious earlier accident (20-30 minutes earlier and within a couple miles) involving a young woman that a witness reports hearing on the police scanner but was never recorded in the police log. Accoding to the witness there was request for help and then emergency vehicles were told not to come to the scene because the woman had gotten into a private vehicle and left.

The neighbors - The Westmans - have always disagreed on what they saw in the car. The wife thinks she saw a man smoking a cigarette. The husband thinks it was a girl on a cell phone. Apparently this still causes arguments between the two of them because they are both certain about what they saw. Another neighbor reported that they saw activity around the back of the vehicle 'a person' standing at the trunk - someone putting the rag in the tailpipe maybe? But why?
And if she was facing west in the east bound lane then that would mean she was facing oncoming traffic, right?

I have always been perplexed by the reported accident heard earlier. I am not sure I understand the significance of it. Does that mean it could have been Maura involved in another accident and if so then how does that explain her car ending up where it did? Why would the police have no record of the call? Was it a 911 call? If it was then there has to be tapes of it.
I have always kind of written this off as being a witness report that is wrong. If only one person heard this on the scanner there is nothing to back up their statement and it is very possible they were just mistaken in what they heard. Looking at it from the angle of the scene being stage a differenct light is cast and it is worth looking into.

The sightings - especially the one from the woman who claims she saw Maura at a convenience store mouthing help me to her. How different things could be right now if the woman had.

Oh geez....I will look for this as I know there was a name attached to it. I can say that the house was unoccupied but sat on someone's property so technically they owned it. From my understanding, a piece of carpet was taken from a closet to be analysed but this was done by PI's and the last I heard the results had not been released.

I did see in an article I found a couple days ago (but came out 2007) that Fred Murray said it had been found to be not relevant but I need to look for where I saw that.

The sightings - especially the one from the woman who claims she saw Maura at a convenience store mouthing help me to her. How different things could be right now if the woman had.

Coming out of lurk mode to say I've always been baffled as to why the woman didn't do anything. It kills me to think that could have been Maura.

It baffles me too. I just don't understand how you could turn your back and walk away. It isn't like she had to confront them or soemthing. She could have pretended she had forgotten to get something in the store and went down an aisle and called 911 or gone to the bathroom, etc. She didn't even call 911 when she got outside. I'm sure she felt like she could be wrong, she didn't want to interfere, etc but even if she was wrong - who cares. If she was right in what she saw she could have saved someone's life. I am sure she lives with that guilt everyday.

I am also baffled at how a guy on a subway can get beaten with a hammer and everyone just stands there and acts like nothing is happening. It is a similar phenomena.

I am also baffled at how a guy on a subway can get beaten with a hammer and everyone just stands there and acts like nothing is happening. It is a similar phenomena.
Hi gaia. I just wanted to mention two things regarding that case, (I assume you're talking about the case in Philly).

1) It was announced today that the attacker was found incompetent to stand trial.

2) The man that was seen on the video was interviewed by the news yesterday and he said that he was yelling to the guy to stop, that the police were coming, etc., hoping that there was something he could say to get the guy to stop. He didn't step in physically because he said that he felt there was no way to do so without getting hit himself. But from the reports, he seemed sincere when he said that he did whatever he could think of to do while still keeping himself out of harm's way.

Thx JerseyGirl - I was referring to the incident in Philly. I didn't see the interview with the man on the train. At least someone tried to do something.

Are you close to Mt. Laurel, NJ? I have a good friend who lives in Somerdale, NJ.

Gaia, I deleted my post and sent it to you in a PM. I felt like I might have been hijacking the thread with my off-topic conversation.

Remembering Maura -----

Today, October 9, 2008 ----- MISSING 4 YEARS 8 months

Please forgive me if this theory has been brought up already but I didn't see it posted anywhere.

Let's say she was walking down the street for help and was accidentally hit by a car -- the driver of the car could have been an everyday joe or an actual police officer -- they decide to cover it up and dispose of her body. If it was a police officer this might be where the lack of investigation comes in. Just a thought.

Please forgive me if this theory has been brought up already but I didn't see it posted anywhere.

Let's say she was walking down the street for help and was accidentally hit by a car -- the driver of the car could have been an everyday joe or an actual police officer -- they decide to cover it up and dispose of her body. If it was a police officer this might be where the lack of investigation comes in. Just a thought.

I've read a theory like that... I don't know if it was here or on another site.... Frustrating for us... UNBEARABLE for her family and friends.

I've always thought that the reason why Maura left school is very important. I just don't think that a random stranger took her. I think that her leaving school like she did was out of character for her. But it seems that the attention has always been focused on what happened on that road that her car was found on. I just think that whatever became of Maura started at that school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay