NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I meant Scott.

I did note that some, Rabe, Mckessky? and ? took a polygraph from all people, a security person with Zales Jewelry which I found ridiculous.

How did you find out the polygraphs in Lubbock had been stolen? I'm hoping it appeared in a newspaper article that the place had been broken into.

Sorry, I meant Scott.

I did note that some, Rabe, Mckessky? and ? took a polygraph from all people, a security person with Zales Jewelry which I found ridiculous.

How did you find out the polygraphs in Lubbock had been stolen? I'm hoping it appeared in a newspaper article that the place had been broken into.

Investigator Jim Estrada told me this. How he knew....? I believe I read about it in something Cathey might have said in an interview...but I'll look over my stuff again...I sure wish we could all get together and share all these reports...some of them are worthless...but then I don't know what I'm suppose to be looking for either...I have tired to put everything I think is important on here...I have just sat back and let you guys do the work...but I wanted to hear what you all had to say...and it has really helped me think.

Tom Barnes was the person that did most of the polygraphs...but he was right in there with the sheriff's office.....he even went out to the murder scene with Buddy Parsons. I don't know if he is still alive or not.

Investigator Jim Estrada told me this. How he knew....? I believe I read about it in something Cathey might have said in an interview...but I'll look over my stuff again...I sure wish we could all get together and share all these reports...some of them are worthless...but then I don't know what I'm suppose to be looking for either...I have tired to put everything I think is important on here...I have just sat back and let you guys do the work...but I wanted to hear what you all had to say...and it has really helped me think.

Tom Barnes was the person that did most of the polygraphs...but he was right in there with the sheriff's office.....he even went out to the murder scene with Buddy Parsons. I don't know if he is still alive or not.

WHAT??? OMG, first of all, why was Buddy Parsons at the murder scene and secondly Tom Barnes was the polygrapher and his affiliation/friendship (?) with the sheriff's officers AND the fact that his office was broken into AND ONLY these tapes were stolen is just TOOO coincidental!! It reeks, this whole investigation was not only sloppy it was a plain and blatant cover-up which is very obviously apparent. I am so sorry Anne that you and your family have to endure your sisters' death all these years and to have to deal with everything else about the case, we are going to crack it wide open, you'll see. I feel another chapter coming on.

Have you ever tried to contact Gov. Richardson? I e-mailed his office several yrs ago regarding a S.S.D. matter and was surprised that they replied to me in just a few days. He said he couldn't help me but will send my info to the appropriate Senators and shortly thereafter I rcvd paper letters from them. It's worth a try.

Page #9 post # 204 I think 'PrincessRose' summed it up and gave alot if info as to whom to contact. As far as your wording in your letters you can just take excerpts from this thread and put them together, also when you send the letter via U.S. Postal get it registered (or insured) so the recipient must sign it and the postal svc will send you a receipt to keep for your records of being received and signed. You may want to include at the bottom of your letter an X___________ (signed witness).

WHAT??? OMG, first of all, why was Buddy Parsons at the murder scene and secondly Tom Barnes was the polygrapher and his affiliation/friendship (?) with the sheriff's officers AND the fact that his office was broken into AND ONLY these tapes were stolen is just TOOO coincidental!! It reeks, this whole investigation was not only sloppy it was a plain and blatant cover-up which is very obviously apparent. I am so sorry Anne that you and your family have to endure your sisters' death all these years and to have to deal with everything else about the case, we are going to crack it wide open, you'll see. I feel another chapter coming on.

Have you ever tried to contact Gov. Richardson? I e-mailed his office several yrs ago regarding a S.S.D. matter and was surprised that they replied to me in just a few days. He said he couldn't help me but will send my info to the appropriate Senators and shortly thereafter I rcvd paper letters from them. It's worth a try.

Page #9 post # 204 I think 'PrincessRose' summed it up and gave alot if info as to whom to contact. As far as your wording in your letters you can just take excerpts from this thread and put them together, also when you send the letter via U.S. Postal get it registered (or insured) so the recipient must sign it and the postal svc will send you a receipt to keep for your records of being received and signed. You may want to include at the bottom of your letter an X___________ (signed witness).

Buddy Parsons was taken out to the murder scene about six times. They have him out there with young teenage boys ( Tommy Hawkins, Terry Calvani: who by the way were Sheriff Hawkins son and nephew) used as the girls...so Parsons could place the bodies. Then they have Buddy driving a dual control car...then he is supposedly driving the sheriff's car...but we found out later someone was in the floor board helping him. They also showed Buddy pictures of the girls bodies....then he drew on the outline of one of the girls bodies to show where he stabbed or whatever was done to Patty's body....and this is all on a moving picture...plus photo pictures of him out there....where is this stuff now?
Buddy Parsons was not the person that killed the girls...he was mentally retarded...he couldn't have driven his fathers car from San Antonio, Tx. then back to his parent's house. I have all of this in his preliminary hearing...oH it just keeps getting worse...you don't know the half of it yet. Like I said ...it would be great if we could all see this stuff......
My mom and dad went to the first day of the hearing and my mom came home and she said, 'that poor boy didn't kill my baby...he didn't even know what she had on' She never went back....she also said they were doing this to cover up for someone elses son....someone influencial in the community...I truly believe she is right.

WOW!
Correction to my above post #581 I meant to say to send the letters 'certified' not 'registered' to get receipts of delivery.

SS1950, Please, please contact the Nichols family and ask them prepare a video of the family's recollection of the time of the girls' murders and why they believe strongly that Nichols did it. Anyone else in the family with knowledge of the murders and historical input should also be videotaped, as well as any long-time friends of the family. They could send this to you, so you would have it - in case the clock is ticking faster than we want it to. Health can falter very easily for a 94 year old, so this is absolutely necessary. Ask them to include a summary of their attempts (with dates, if possible) of their efforts at contacting the ECSO. Have they spoken with anyone in their local law enforcement community? If not, this might be a very good idea. Involvement from an outside law enforcement agency may be what it takes to get the ball rolling. You could also send copies of this videotape to the ECSO, the New Mexico AG, and other applicable agency(s) which were at any time involved in the investigation.

They can include on the videotape pictures of the registration of the vehicle they believe to be involved, any old family photos, etc. that could help in an investigation. If they have pictures of the car, maintenance and tire records, sales receipts, paycheck stubs, any personal items remaining (obviously including guns), you will need a record of these. I'd ask them to recap Nichols' history as best they can, where he worked, lived, etc. throughout his lifetime. They also need to add details about the California incident when their father/grandfather was indicated to have tried to molest the young girl, and any other instances of molestation, criminal history, etc. Anything and everything needs to be preserved - and now...there is a real sense of urgency about this. You'll have to do the legwork, until law enforcement becomes involved - but, even then, don't rely solely on LE to get all the information. You are so much more well versed in the case than they will be at this point - and have so much more at stake. Please do this soon - and have the daughter and granddaughter hold up a newspaper showing the current date for verification and to clearly identify themselves as being the daughter and the granddaughter of Nichols.

You might want to consider asking them to give you a verbal or written release to use their statements in any manner necessary to bring closure to the case with respect to the implication or exhoneration of their father/grandfather. If you (or they) need my assistance with any of this, please do not hesitate to PM me accordingly. I am in Texas, not far from where you indicated they are living.

SS1950, this is alot for you to do. If you have any younger family members who are as up on your sister's case as you are, please ask for their help.

This next is for anyone reading here who wants to help. SS1950 told me there are around 30 unsolved murders in Eddy County. I don't know how many date back to or happened before Mattie and Patty were murdered or for a time afterwards, but we need a list and approximate dates of all those murders to see if any may tie in with that of Mattie and Patty's murders.

It is my belief due to the cuts on Patty, the murderer may have been a sexual sadist who had either killed before or would kill again. If other murders can be tied to this case, it is something we need to know, whether those murders took place in Eddy County or elsewhere in NM or west Texas. I believe some west Texas murders were thought to possibly tie into this case.

I forget where DB and his wife moved. Was it Albuquerque, NM or Phoenix, AZ? Whichever place, we need to check to see if any murders occurred nearby his residence there.

Both these girls were beaten before being murdered, and I think we can safely say Patty was sexually assaulted. The cuts on her body tell us there was likely more to this than just the motive to kill, and that's where the motive of sexual sadism comes in. She was tortured. Of course we do not know whether that occured before her death or afterwards, but that it happened says this was more than just the simple murder of two girls. This was a complex murder scene. The killer most likely derived some pleasure from cutting Patty. We can not ignore that because it says something of the personality of the killer.

I have just read that Nichols was a Blacksmith by trade (pursuant to his online obituary from the Big Springs, TX newspaper). As a Blacksmith, I imagine he traveled with many of his tools in the trunk of his car. If he is developed further as a suspect, I wonder if any of these tools, customary to his line of work, could have been used to inflict the marks on Patty and to "beat" both the girls. It seems unlikely that a strong stick would have been readily accessible at the scene, and they didn't seem to want to clearly identify the marks as having come from a knife - although they did mention that possibility. Perhaps they could look at this again, as they still should have photos...

Attachments

• btools1.gif
    btools1.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 63
I have just read that Nichols was a Blacksmith by trade (pursuant to his online obituary from the Big Springs, TX newspaper). As a Blacksmith, I imagine he traveled with many of his tools in the trunk of his car. If he is developed further as a suspect, I wonder if any of these tools, customary to his line of work, could have been used to inflict the marks on Patty and to "beat" both the girls. It seems unlikely that a strong stick would have been readily accessible at the scene, and they didn't seem to want to clearly identify the marks as having come from a knife - although they did mention that possibility. Perhaps they could look at this again, as they still should have photos...

Excellent and brilliant sleuthing there 'Legacy'.....BRAVO!!

I was just talking to my daughter about this case and I came to find out that Bill Melton is related to her best friend there in Carlsbad, and then her phone lost charge. I will be bugging her for more info as to what the family knows.

That's the statement Blair gave but Google doesn't recognize any Legion Ave. I think Bobbi said it was near CARC farm or something like that, but I would have no idea where that might be.

Glad to see you up and posting.

Did you ever talk to Short? Mayve what she had to say was in all those pages. I keep trying to go back and reread, but am going very slow at it this time around.

I am thinking the name might have been Ligon ...there was an elderly couple by the last name Ligon (I may have that spelled wrong) who ran a bird farm somewhere close to where the CARC farm is now. My family knew the Ligons and we went out there a few times when I was young. They had all these big wire cages with native birds...quail, phesants. I think he might have even authored some books on birds. I remember a lot of books at their house.

I googled and found the name of the man who owned the bird farm...J. Stokley Ligon. There is a book by him, published in 1961 by the University of New Mexico Press. The road he lived on was named Ligon also..,I can't remember if the road was dirt or paved.

Legacy which newspaper was that in...I've looked but haven't been able to find it. about the tools being used in the murders...that is very interesting and hopefully useful...but how would we know...especially since the marks were not clearly identified...or course they might have known...but didn't want to let it out.

Excellent and brilliant sleuthing there 'Legacy'.....BRAVO!!

I was just talking to my daughter about this case and I came to find out that Bill Melton is related to her best friend there in Carlsbad, and then her phone lost charge. I will be bugging her for more info as to what the family knows.

That is great...hopefully another source of information. Thanks

SS1950, Please, please contact the Nichols family and ask them prepare a video of the family's recollection of the time of the girls' murders and why they believe strongly that Nichols did it. Anyone else in the family with knowledge of the murders and historical input should also be videotaped, as well as any long-time friends of the family. They could send this to you, so you would have it - in case the clock is ticking faster than we want it to. Health can falter very easily for a 94 year old, so this is absolutely necessary. Ask them to include a summary of their attempts (with dates, if possible) of their efforts at contacting the ECSO. Have they spoken with anyone in their local law enforcement community? If not, this might be a very good idea. Involvement from an outside law enforcement agency may be what it takes to get the ball rolling. You could also send copies of this videotape to the ECSO, the New Mexico AG, and other applicable agency(s) which were at any time involved in the investigation.

They can include on the videotape pictures of the registration of the vehicle they believe to be involved, any old family photos, etc. that could help in an investigation. If they have pictures of the car, maintenance and tire records, sales receipts, paycheck stubs, any personal items remaining (obviously including guns), you will need a record of these. I'd ask them to recap Nichols' history as best they can, where he worked, lived, etc. throughout his lifetime. They also need to add details about the California incident when their father/grandfather was indicated to have tried to molest the young girl, and any other instances of molestation, criminal history, etc. Anything and everything needs to be preserved - and now...there is a real sense of urgency about this. You'll have to do the legwork, until law enforcement becomes involved - but, even then, don't rely solely on LE to get all the information. You are so much more well versed in the case than they will be at this point - and have so much more at stake. Please do this soon - and have the daughter and granddaughter hold up a newspaper showing the current date for verification and to clearly identify themselves as being the daughter and the granddaughter of Nichols.

You might want to consider asking them to give you a verbal or written release to use their statements in any manner necessary to bring closure to the case with respect to the implication or exhoneration of their father/grandfather. If you (or they) need my assistance with any of this, please do not hesitate to PM me accordingly. I am in Texas, not far from where you indicated they are living.

Thanks Legacy for the help....I will get in contact with the grand-daughter...I know she has finally got on this website...but I don't know if she has posted anything. She has been ill and in the hospital. But I will ask her if any of this could be done...I know we talked about these same things...making a video....hopefully we can do all of the things you have mentioned.

Legacy,

You're turning up interesting stuff. Keep up the good work!

SS1950,

Is it known whether Nichols had a gun, and if so, the caliber of that gun or guns? Also, what year did DB get in the auto accident? If you posted this already, I'm sorry, but I have done a search of the thread pages, and haven't turned that info up. I have one more question. When did DB and Bonnie move to Phoenix?

Legacy,

You're turning up interesting stuff. Keep up the good work!

SS1950,

Is it known whether Nichols had a gun, and if so, the caliber of that gun or guns? Also, what year did DB get in the auto accident? If you posted this already, I'm sorry, but I have done a search of the thread pages, and haven't turned that info up. I have one more question. When did DB and Bonnie move to Phoenix?

I believe Nichols had a gun...but will have to ask the gd again. DB had his accident in 1969....he was only in the prison for 8-9 months...I believe he was released in 1965....again will have to look it up...if I find my notes. So if he was released from prison in '66....that would have been maybe three yrs. Bonnie (I believe told me) she tried to take care of him for some 5 yrs. then the mother came to Phoenix...and threatened BD with a gun...so BD let AB take DB on back to Carlsbad...where she took care of him....until he died.
So I just don't know the exact dates. But DB wasn't driving the car that he got hurt in....some other guy was driving...they were going to some audition...for a movie part!!! when this accident happened. Supposedly driving way to fast and lost control then the wreck.

Thanks, SS1950, that answers my questions, and changes what I thought about the auto accident. Do you have any of the particulars on the rape he committed? Age of victim? Where the crime was committed, her home or elsewhere?

What's important is to establish whether or not this was a stranger rape or if the victim had known DB, had gone out with him, despite him being married.....you know, a date type rape vs. a stranger breaking into a house type rape. It changes everything if the victim was mad at him for something else, and accused him of rape. There are vindictive women out there so that has to be considered. Obviously, he was convicted, but the circumstances surrounding that conviction are important.

I am wondering if Nichols knew the Blair's even though pedophiles tend to be loners, they both could have been the killers. I keep thinking about the scratches on Nichols' face and what it was that he told his family that makes them think he killed the girls, that's a very serious accusation to make about their own father/grandfather....if only we knew.

I was hesitant to post this because of the family names mentioned; however, since at this point we're only looking at the possibility of Nichols being involved based on information given by his family, and with this being taken from a public source of information (Big Spring Herald Newspaper TX 14 Jan 1963 Page 2A), I don't know that any expectation of privacy would exist. What is important to the investigation is the information involving the names and whereabouts of his children at the time of his death, which occurred about seventeen months after the girls' murders.

I have wondered if additional crimes could be tied in with the other locations that his children lived and he might have visited, as his family has indicated that they believe he could have committed this double homicide while visiting a daughter in Carlsbad. Perhaps, if he is further implicated, it was his M.O. to go on killing sprees while out of town, thinking he would have less chance of being caught. And possibly the only way he could go on out of town trips was to stay with family members - maybe for economic reasons alone. It has been said that he traveled from place to place and lived with various family members...

I do think this should be added to the LE "case file" for this investigation, and that you should have it as well, SS1950.

Attachments

• Nichols Obituary (2).jpg
    Nichols Obituary (2).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics