Found Deceased NV - Naomi Irion, 18, possibly kidnapped from parking lot, car located, Fernley, 12 March 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, I see the helicopter appears to be searching at least in the vicinity of White River Reservation. If the perp is from the Reservation, and has returned, or from the Pyramid Lake Palute Reservation, which is also easy driving distance to Fernley, do LE, even Feds, have jurisdiction there, or can he hide away and have to be extradited?

I don't know for sure but I think the Feds have to work with the Tribal government to arrest or extradite anyone who is a resident of a Tribal Reservation. I think there has been a lot of friction in case law over this for decades.

Without seeing video footage of him entering the car... is it possible this was not a kidnapping, but a planned rendezvous of sorts?

Also still wondering about any ties to a family member's job... could this be a ransom kidnapping?

LE has stated that they found evidence of criminal activity/violence in her car, which I think pretty much rules out a planned rendezvous, and if it were a ransom kidnapping, I believe family would be speaking to the kidnapper, and to Naomi, in their presser, rather than just speaking to the public, asking for help in locating her. JMO

Last edited:
I wondered about that too, but I'm inclined to think that this is not the first time that he has abducted someone - so he's not worried about having difficulties over-powering a young woman who is 5'11 and 240 lbs.

ITA. If he immediately surprised her with a weapon such as a gun, knife, or taser, she may as well have been 4'0 and 90 pounds. He clearly seized the upper hand before she had time to blink.

Police have not released any information about the time that Naomi's car was parked near Sherwin-Williams, nor have they released the time that the photo of the truck was taken.

People have speculated that the truck photo was taken between 4-6 PM based on the daylight and long shadow of the truck in the photo. Naomi was abducted prior to sun rise. It was dark. The photo of the truck, heading East, is daylight and the shadow suggests late afternoon.

I initially wondered whether she was abducted, taken straight to his truck, and then taken somewhere else. The photo of the truck suggests that she was taken somewhere in her car and then the car was parked at Sherwin-Williams later that afternoon.

Abduction victims are usually dead within the hour. However, given that his truck returns to the scene of the crime roughly 11 hours later, it's quite possible that he drove 20 miles, she was not dead within the hour, he spent time obscuring the body, and then parked her car within two hours of sunset (6 PM).

None of what you have written here necessarily conflicts with my post except for your last paragraph. People have also postulated the truck was pictured at 3:30pm but I'm good with 4pm, too, but not 6pm because that is minutes passed sunset in Fernley.

I wrote his truck is seen 10 hours after departure in her car. You say 11 hours later. Fact is, we just don't know how many hours later his truck's image was captured since it could have been the next afternoon. If it matters, can you explain how you arbitrarily arrived at a distance of 20 miles, please?

Until a deceased body or her skeleton is recovered, I shall refuse to consider this victim is not alive. The public searches that Casey is leading are likely for the purposes of locating a body hidden in the desert but I don't understand why authorities are not also, and in addition to, professionally conducting searches.

Lyon County has a population of 60k. According to the 2020- 2021 Lyon County's budget, on page 18, $60,850 was allocated for search and rescue with $44k of that amount for supplies.
https://www.lyon-county.org/DocumentCenter/View/9376/Lyon-County-Final-Budget-2021

Again, if he wanted to kill her, he could do that in the WM parking lot or while she's at the store where she purchased an energy drink. MOO

Either he preferred to torture her so he drove away with her or he wants to keep her maintained within his power and control. I prefer considering he is keeping her because it indicates that she's still alive.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, LE has only released that one photo taken on the road in front of Sherwin-Williams. It does not show the front or the back. AFASIK, LE has not mentioned the license plate or the presence or absence of a tow hitch.

The comment about from the CNN article may just be a bad journalistic turn of phrase: " Authorities are not providing details on the vehicle's owner."

I don't think it means anything positive or negative about identifying the owner. I think it's the journalist's way of writing that makes it seem more than it is. Essentially, they have not said anything about an owner, one way or the other.

I couldn't find anything else, either, but I sometimes miss things. I was interested in that thing that appears to be a roll on top of the tailgate. That usually means it's used for carrying things that are longer than the box, to protect them and/or the tailgate from damage--around here, it's often lengths of the kind of pipe that's used for electrical conduits, among other things. Or sometimes it's a bumper for when the tailgate is lowered onto a log or step or something to make a ramp for unloading something from the box. Like a four-wheeler or motorcycle maybe? Or a small boat?

Anyway, I was hoping to be able to get a better look at it and see if I could figure out what it might have been used for.

None of what you have written here necessarily conflicts with my post except for your last paragraph. People have also postulated the truck was pictured at 3:30pm but I'm good with 4pm, too, but not 6pm because that is minutes passed sunset in Fernley.

I wrote his truck is seen 10 hours after departure in her car. You say 11 hours later. Fact is, we just don't know how many hours later his truck's image was captured since it could have been the next afternoon. If it matters, can you explain how you arbitrarily arrived at a distance of 20 miles, please?

Until a deceased body or her skeleton is recovered, I shall refuse to consider this victim is not alive. The public searches that Casey is leading are likely for the purposes of locating a body hidden in the desert but I don't understand why authorities are not also, and in addition to, professionally conducting searches.

Lyon County has a population of 20k. According to the 2020- 2021 Lyon County's budget, on page 18, $60,850 was allocated for search and rescue with $44k of that amount for supplies.
https://www.lyon-county.org/DocumentCenter/View/9376/Lyon-County-Final-Budget-2021

Again, if he wanted to kill her, he could do that in the WM parking lot or while she's at the store where she purchased an energy drink. MOO

Either he preferred to torture her so he drove away with her or he wants to keep her maintained within his power and control. I prefer considering he is keeping her because it indicates that she's still alive.

Lyon County NV had a population of 62, 000 as estimated from the 2020 census.

I couldn't find anything else, either, but I sometimes miss things. I was interested in that thing that appears to be a roll on top of the tailgate. That usually means it's used for carrying things that are longer than the box, to protect them and/or the tailgate from damage--around here, it's often lengths of the kind of pipe that's used for electrical conduits, among other things. Or sometimes it's a bumper for when the tailgate is lowered onto a log or step or something to make a ramp for unloading something from the box. Like a four-wheeler or motorcycle maybe? Or a small boat?

Anyway, I was hoping to be able to get a better look at it and see if I could figure out what it might have been used for.

Yes! I noticed that too, but wasn't sure if it was a roll top or if I was seeing a strange reflection from the sun. I would have expected some utility boxes or containers for tie-downs in the bed of the truck.

It also looks quite clean to me. The surface off-road in the area is very dusty and if he was using it out in the field it might not have been as shiny, or he could have washed it. There are at least 4 car washes found in Fernley by googling, one of which is associated with the Flying J Truck stop, another near the south side of the main freeway exit.

Due to the number of CCTV cameras in the area, LE must have an idea of what state license plate it has. I'm surprised they haven't released that.

The key to finding Naomi is really in finding who was driving that truck!

Last edited:
Yes! I noticed that too, but wasn't sure if it was a roll top or if I was seeing a strange reflection from the sun. I would have expected some utility boxes or containers for tie-downs in the bed of the truck.

Due to the number of CCTV cameras in the area, LE must have an idea of what state license plate it has. I'm surprised they haven't released that.

I was surprised too. I would think IF they have that info, it would help the public to help with the search, but maybe they don't want that. I know they often don't release a lot of info and tip off the suspect so catch 22 I guess.

Also, we don't know if there was even a plate on the truck and/or if they were fake/stolen plates to throw off LE.

Hate to think the worst as well, but we also don't know exactly what kind of evidence of a crime was in her car. LE obviously knows more than us so I'm sure there is a reason for withholding info.

Unless this is mis-reported, this is the first time I am hearing this, from the above article...

On Tuesday, March 15, a ping of Irion’s cell phone led authorities to the industrial park in Fernley where they found her car around noon. Deputies say evidence found inside the car suggests Irion’s disappearance was criminal in nature.

More cell phone activity led investigators to the area of State Route 427 and Hill Ranch Road in the days following Irion’s kidnapping. Detective Kusmerz said the phone activity went stagnant for about 10 minutes and that there has been no further cell phone activity with Irion. Her phone has not been found.

So, they got a ping from NAOMI'S phone on TUESDAY that led to the location of her car?? Does that mean that is shortly after it was taken there? If so, where was it until then, and if not, does that mean the perp went back there for some reason?? Is that when his truck was picked up on cam??

Also it seems the perp may have still had possession of her phone, and had it turned on when pings sent them to the area of SR 427 and Hill Ranch Rd. in the days after. Shortly after that, her phone went dead.

Would a perp who took such care to avoid being identified in this seemingly planned attack be careless enough to carry her phone around turned on for days after? or was he taunting LE, playing some sort of sick game of catch me if you can??

This makes no sense to me at all! JMO
It appears that the phone last pinged near Hill Ranch Road. Perhaps it's where it was taken from her and turned off. What happened in the last 10 minutes when the phone was stationary?

Ping at the location where her car was found might have been from early on in the abduction.

It appears that the phone last pinged near Hill Ranch Road. Perhaps it's where it was taken from her and turned off. What happened in the last 10 minutes when the phone was stationary?

Ping at the location where her car was found might have been from early on in the abduction.

Yes, that just dawned on me...I had either a senior moment or a brain fart, or both!

Lyon County NV had a population of 62, 000 as estimated from the 2020 census.

Well, thank you! I was able to correct that pop data with an edit. However, it was not the only error made as LEOs have been conducting professional searches. My apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

In regards to the timing of when she pulled in vs. when the suspect appeared, her brother stated in an interview with Grey Hughes that the suspect was pacing the yellow line when Naomi pulled in the lot. I can't remember which date this video was, but I made this comment previously, so if you go back in my posts, you'll see what specific GH video it was. Her brother saw the entire video at Walmart, unlike what we are able to see. So according to him, the suspect arrived first and was pacing around when Naomi pulled in. He then circled the lot and approached from behind. IMO that seems to me that he knew she'd be arriving soon and was waiting for her.

I agree with the poster who said this reminds them of Elizabeth Barraza. That was actually the first case I thought of. Elizabeth was approached in her driveway while setting up for a garage sale and shot multiple times by the suspect who then high tailed it of there; however, the black truck was seen on other homeowners' surveillance in the area the night before the murder and it also drove back by her house after the murder. But this black truck has never been found. Even though it's on camera and the person is on camera, they still haven't been caught. I am NOT implying they are one and the same - in fact, I don't think that at all. Just stating it reminds me of this case, and I am just hoping so much this case does not go the way of Elizabeth's in that years later, we still don't have justice :(

It looks like the Sherwin Williams Emulsion Plant opens at 6:30 AM on Saturdays, this doesn't leave the perp much time. But, considering the proximity of the final location of NI's car to Walmart, the time seems manageable.

But, wait ... I'm missing something as her car wasn't found for 3 days.

Where was it? LE must have road surveillance camera footage by now that track NI's car from the time it left Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95