NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks again Fairy1. :thumb: This information is helpful. I'd like webrocket to stop by - his Big Daddy (or Mommy) Warbucks theory is looking more plausible.

I think we ALL know what it's like to have things to do and places to go - I certainly didn't expect you to climb out of your car and chase this guy down. Besides, how weird would that have been if it wasn't Steven? :doh:

Again, I think you did the right thing by letting the proper people know what you saw (and telling all of us, of course!!!)

ETA: Perhaps the WSer who made the picture of Steven with dark hair could give us an idea of what Steven would look like with a mustache - I'm having a difficult time picturing it.

Me, too. I guess we need to know what kind of moustache -- and if his chin was hidden (because he was eating), is there the possibility of a beard?

Or at least postcard-sized.

That'd be better than the big flyers, too.

If businesses let one full-page flyer go up, they'd soon be totally plastered. BUT....a stack of business cards by a check-out, might tempt people to take one and keep it with them.

(Picture, person's name, height, weight, hair color, when last seen, who to call is ALL that's needed - there's no need to write a book.)

Another good thing is that a business card can be slipped into a mailbox slot, or passed out to residents. It fits in a wallet, might be stuck on a refrigerator door.

Rather than having to carrying a large package of full-sized sheets of paper, a searcher/canvasser could fit 50 of them into a pocket or purse.

ETA: Perhaps the WSer who made the picture of Steven with dark hair could give us an idea of what Steven would look like with a mustache - I'm having a difficult time picturing it.

That was me! I've got a sick toddler on my hands, but I'll try to work on that when she goes to bed tonight.

Also, I love the idea of business card size missing "posters." Brilliant! You could only fit one photo and the info would be abbreviated, but it's a very, very good idea. If I designed one, would anyone use it?

Let's see if this works:

picture.php

Well, except that the phone number seems to have been truncated somewhere along the line...

That was me! I've got a sick toddler on my hands, but I'll try to work on that when she goes to bed tonight.

Also, I love the idea of business card size missing "posters." Brilliant! You could only fit one photo and the info would be abbreviated,

....and they could be two-sided, with maybe another picture and more info?

Another use: posted on bulletin boards at grocery stories, etc.

but it's a very, very good idea. If I designed one, would anyone use it?

I'm not a local, but I'm willing to contribute some $ towards printing costs.

Let's see if this works:

picture.php

Well, except that the phone number seems to have been truncated somewhere along the line...

I'd simplify it even further -- do we really need the DOB?

HAVE YOU SEEN STEVEN KOECHER?
5'11", 180 pounds
Blonde hair
Where: Southern Utah/Las Vegas area

Contact Henderson PD *advertiser censored*-*advertiser censored*-xxxx

Something else that could have been done (but was not): advertising (a flyer or an ad) placed in "Today In Dixie" -- the magazine which shares a publisher with the newspaper Steven's dad works for, as well as the Spectrum (the newspaper). They reach the entire St George area.

It's quite late for anything like that now, but right after SK disappeared, it might have brought in some fresh tips from people who saw him that last week or two.

(It's common here in the media to see uber-coverage of the families of media personalities; I don't know why the missing son of a news editor couldn't have had the same coverage.)

How's this? I think the birthdate is important, just to let people know how old a guy they're looking for. There's plenty of room for it.

picture.php

eta: the file for this is on WS; you should be able to get to it by going to my profile and looking under Albums.

Also, I love the idea of business card size missing "posters." Brilliant! You could only fit one photo and the info would be abbreviated, but it's a very, very good idea. If I designed one, would anyone use it?

Thanks ms_writer! Take your time...we'll be here. :hourglass:

How's this? I think the birthdate is important, just to let people know how old a guy they're looking for. There's plenty of room for it.

picture.php

Looks good; thank you. I think his age might make more sense than DOB - and I don't think Steven was born in 2009. :winko:

Did we talk about dissociative fugues? I think we did, but with these new sightings I thought I'd read up on it a little.

"Dissociative fugue involves one or more episodes of sudden, unexpected, but purposeful travel from home during which people cannot remember some or all of their past life, including who they are (their identity). These episodes are called fugues."

Symptoms: "...people may travel far from home and begin a new job with a new identity, unaware of any change in their life. During the fugue, they may appear normal and attract no attention. However, at some point, they may become aware of the memory loss or confused about their identity. People in a fugue state, having lost their customary identity, usually disappear from their usual haunts, leaving their family and job."

Causes: "Many fugues seem to represent disguised wish fulfillment (for example, an escape from overwhelming stresses, such as divorce or financial ruin). Other fugues are related to feelings of rejection or separation, or they may develop as an alternative to suicidal or homicidal impulses."

"Dissociative fugue is usually triggered by severe trauma, such as wars, accidents, natural disasters, or sexual abuse during childhood."

"Most fugues last for hours or days, then disappear on their own."

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec07/ch106/ch106d.html

Some of these factors definitely apply to Steven. But most fugues go away within days or weeks.....

Did we talk about dissociative fugues? I think we did, but with these new sightings I thought I'd read up on it a little.

"Dissociative fugue involves one or more episodes of sudden, unexpected, but purposeful travel from home during which people cannot remember some or all of their past life, including who they are (their identity). These episodes are called fugues."

Symptoms: "...people may travel far from home and begin a new job with a new identity, unaware of any change in their life. During the fugue, they may appear normal and attract no attention. However, at some point, they may become aware of the memory loss or confused about their identity. People in a fugue state, having lost their customary identity, usually disappear from their usual haunts, leaving their family and job."

Causes: "Many fugues seem to represent disguised wish fulfillment (for example, an escape from overwhelming stresses, such as divorce or financial ruin). Other fugues are related to feelings of rejection or separation, or they may develop as an alternative to suicidal or homicidal impulses."

"Dissociative fugue is usually triggered by severe trauma, such as wars, accidents, natural disasters, or sexual abuse during childhood."

"Most fugues last for hours or days, then disappear on their own."

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec07/ch106/ch106d.html

Some of these factors definitely apply to Steven. But most fugues go away within days or weeks.....

Good points. We had a patient in the ER just last night who didn't know who she was, where she was or anything....for HOURS. I don't know how long she had been in that state, but she was so scared and confused. It was very sad to see. I hope Steven isn't in this same state. If this lady had seen a picture of herself on a missing person's poster, she wouldn't have known it was for her.

Good points. We had a patient in the ER just last night who didn't know who she was, where she was or anything....for HOURS. I don't know how long she had been in that state, but she was so scared and confused. It was very sad to see. I hope Steven isn't in this same state. If this lady had seen a picture of herself on a missing person's poster, she wouldn't have known it was for her.

How long did it last? Were drugs involved?

I just don't see Steven's movements as fugue-like, since they seemed so deliberate.

He's talking to people who call him, and also texting. No one's reported anything odd about the calls; in fact, they're infuriatingly "normal".

He goes to the temple, then drives to Ruby Valley (and visits someone he knows, who evidently didn't detect anything odd about his behavior). He returns home.

He resumes his work on Dec 11th.

On Dec 12th, he travels south and returns home. He buys Christmas presents for his brother's family. He returns home.

On December 13th, he travels south.

To me, it's all very purposeful, like he's tying up some loose ends. The presents may have been a caring message to someone.

picture.php

eta: the file for this is on WS; you should be able to get to it by going to my profile and looking under Albums.

How specific do we want to be, about where he went missing? "Southern Utah/Vegas area" might keep more people involved.

The reason I wonder, is because if it's too specific, it might be ignored by people a few miles away. findthemissing.org says he was last seen in St George, Utah on Dec 12th and lists **a very specific time**, 10:28 pm. That really IS the last confirmed sighting.

What about putting just a few pieces of description, and the BEST phone number to contact (is HPD the one?)......and then a snipurl to the wanted poster, which will contact all the other info??

FOR MORE INFO: http://snurl.com/10056h

(check your phone number, too)

As for space: you're designing a postcard, rather than a business card -- right?

I agree about using his age rather than his birth date. Saves everyone from having to do the math.

How specific do we want to be, about where he went missing? "Southern Utah/Vegas area" might keep more people involved.

The reason I wonder, is because if it's too specific, it might be ignored by people a few miles away. findthemissing.org says he was last seen in St George, Utah on Dec 12th and lists **a very specific time**, 10:28 pm. That really IS the last confirmed sighting.

What about putting just a few pieces of description, and the BEST phone number to contact (is HPD the one?)......and then a snipurl to the wanted poster, which will contact all the other info??

FOR MORE INFO: http://snurl.com/10056h

(check your phone number, too)

As for space: you're designing a postcard, rather than a business card -- right?

I'll play around with it some more later. My original is business-card size, but when it uploads to websleuths, it's getting resized (which is why part or all of the phone number keeps getting truncated :p).

I used the Henderson PD number because it seemed like they had been the most interested, but I think there's room to include another number.

That's a good thought about making the geographic description more general. In the first version, I had both St. George and Henderson; maybe I'll go back to that.

I'll play around with it some more later. My original is business-card size, but when it uploads to websleuths, it's getting resized (which is why part or all of the phone number keeps getting truncated :p).

I used the Henderson PD number because it seemed like they had been the most interested, but I think there's room to include another number.

That's a good thought about making the geographic description more general. In the first version, I had both St. George and Henderson; maybe I'll go back to that.

It almost has to be a .pdf, to maintain its dimensions.

I've been trying to figure out which picture of SK we should use; it seems like he's always in the shadows or standing in front of decorative vines ;) I kinda like this recent one, if brightened up, because it shows a distinctive feature: one front tooth a tiny bit longer than the other. It's a small distinction, but if anyone was ever face-to-face with him, it'd be noticeable.

I dunno.

It almost has to be a .pdf, to maintain its dimensions.

I've been trying to figure out which picture of SK we should use; it seems like he's always in the shadows or standing in front of decorative vines ;) I kinda like this recent one, if brightened up, because it shows a distinctive feature: one front tooth a tiny bit longer than the other. It's a small distinction, but if anyone was ever face-to-face with him, it'd be noticeable.

I dunno.

Yeah, I should be able to do a PDF when I have more time to work on it. This is new territory for me...at least with this software.

I chose the photo I'm using because it's the one that seemed closest to the way he looked when Fairy1 saw him. The t-shirt one would be even better, but then he's wearing a hat which obscures his face. Yeah, maybe the recent one would be better? Dunno. I'll make up a couple of different versions and people can see which one they like.

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member