NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
welcome ding174

There is one person on the facebook page that said they went on a date with steven 2 years ago and another person that said they have been friends for over 20 years.Also someone who hung out with him summer of 07, when he organized a softball team. I do not see anything recent from any women.

.http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=225335012614&topic=25641

welcome ding174

There is one person on the facebook page that said they went on a date with steven 2 years ago and another person that said they have been friends for over 20 years.Also someone who hung out with him summer of 07, when he organized a softball team. I do not see anything recent from any women.

I believe that "Tommy" has posted here - though not for a while. IIRC, he lives in Texas and had left a message for Steven just prior to when he went missing that went unanswered.

Hey guys...just stopping by to let you know. Ive called the Anthem ward with no answer :/ I will keep trying. I actually got called into work today as well so ive been a little crazy myself. Anyway, I printed off 100 copies of stevens flyer in hopes to post all over orem and provo this weekend (shhh dont tell work i used up half their ink! :yow:) I just tried again and no answer. Ill keep trying till i get someone on the line! Promise!

Just tell them it's for a good cause!

You're the champ

I believe that "Tommy" has posted here - though not for a while. IIRC, he lives in Texas and had left a message for Steven just prior to when he went missing that went unanswered.

That's Tommy U. One of the first people to post under "How Do You Know Steven?"

He came here a few times, too. Very nice, very helpful. I think he's really Steven's longest/best friend. They went to school together in Amarillo, then to school in Rexburg together.

welcome ding174

The girl who went out with him a few times "a couple of years ago" is AN (whose parents live in Ruby Valley).

what happens if LE finds a missing person but they say "hey i took of to start a new life. i dont want my family knowing where i am?" does LE have to honor that?

what happens if LE finds a missing person but they say "hey i took of to start a new life. i dont want my family knowing where i am?" does LE have to honor that?

If the person is over 18, yes.

If no crime is associated with the disappearance, yes.

LE will, however, notify the family that he's been located and is safe/fine/whatever.

It's not illegal to "disappear"; it is, however, illegal to hide in order to avoid being charged with a crime. Obviously, no one would charge Steven with "illegal parking for four days". But if he was involved in a major crime, that'd change things.

For instance, if it was determined that Steven arranged to have his car "stolen" as part of an insurance fraud scheme (that obviously failed), he could be charged with that crime.

that scares me.

well not exactly.

Someone posted on one of these threads how some guy disappeared from PA about 4 years ago (IIRC) and his name popped up in the south. He was questioned by LE and his response was that he did not consider himself to be a missing person. He was not arrested as he committed no crime but LE did report back to the original LE jurisdiction that the guy was alive.

What do we need to know to move forward on this case?

• Phone pings before, on and after 12/13/09
  • Travel and work patterns prior to December, 2009
  • Calls made/received prior to going missing (verified)
What else?

I would just like to mention that we are still looking for missing man. We have no concrete reason to believe Steven is no longer with us - for whatever reason. I don't know why we would be attempting to dig up dirt on the people who live in the area where the car was found if there's still a question by some as to whether that actually was Steven on the video, whether he got into another car upon arrival or whether he actually went into a home in the area at all. To our knowledge, there is no POI or suspect in Steven's disappearance. And I'm fairly confident LE on this case has looked at the backgrounds of those in the neighborhood.

But perhaps that's just me.

BTW, I have been to that neighborhood and saw nothing that even remotely resembled a "business" where people would be coming and going.

well not exactly.

Someone posted on one of these threads how some guy disappeared from PA about 4 years ago (IIRC) and his name popped up in the south. He was questioned by LE and his response was that he did not consider himself to be a missing person. He was not arrested as he committed no crime but LE did report back to the original LE jurisdiction that the guy was alive.

To LE yes, but if someone specifically says they don't want their family to know their whereabouts, they won't disclose.

There was a case here a couple years ago or so where a fellow went missing from Vegas. His wife was all over here and everywhere looking for help finding him. The circumstances surroundig his disappearance were odd. Then one day, no more news. Thread stopped completely and someone PM'd me that he had been found - though he didn't want to be. That was the end of that!

i like these last posted questions by hollyblue. in particular who his buddies were.
lets expound on that further - did he have a confidant or best friend ? who was the last most intimate person he was involved with. who (not including family or relations) did he confide with. who were his past girlfriends and did any of them feel scorned by him. looking at the facebook page its kinda odd that there hasnt been any women who have come forth saying that they were once romantically and or physically invlolved with him and that they felt some kind of concern about his disappearance. or even offer some kind of hint like "i bet he ran away and got married to so and so . . . " or "we were in love with each other once and im really worried because he broke up with me and started seeing so and so and she was kinda weird or creepy. . . " or " he just dropped me like a hot potato for this other woman and i told him she wasnt good for him but he wouldnt listen . . . "
so strange that the posts seem to be from concerned people but none that were more than friends or mere acquaintances. i believe that this is one of the missing "X" factors in his disappearnce. any comments or suggestions?

A close friend would be a god-send in this case.

IMO the people posting on the facebook site aren't the type to post something that they feel is personal. Most of the posts are just the general "he was a good guy" kind of comment. It appears a lot of people knew him, but none of them knew him all that well. Naegle said she had set up some blind dates for Steven; I don't think she said how recent they were. I wonder if she could check with them to see if any had heard from Steven recently?

Seems like his closest friend may be the Tommy that has posted here, but even he had not been in close contact recently. I think the lack of close non-family contacts are one of the things that make this case so difficult. There aren't even any co-workers that saw Steven frequently.

I've wondered if it would be permissable to post specific questions on the facebook page for Steven....not sure if we would get answers or not.

If no crime is associated with the disappearance, yes.

LE will, however, notify the family that he's been located and is safe/fine/whatever.

It's not illegal to "disappear"; it is, however, illegal to hide in order to avoid being charged with a crime. Obviously, no one would charge Steven with "illegal parking for four days". But if he was involved in a major crime, that'd change things.

For instance, if it was determined that Steven arranged to have his car "stolen" as part of an insurance fraud scheme (that obviously failed), he could be charged with that crime.

Speaking of the insurance fraud scenario - wouldn't Steven have to have had a mailing address in order to benefit financially? Since his car was located, obviously it didn't pan out. But would it be possible to find out if he filed a different address to his insurance agency? I suppose they would already know if he had filed a change of address for all his mail.....

What do we need to know to move forward on this case?

• Phone pings before, on and after 12/13/09
  • Travel and work patterns prior to December, 2009
  • Calls made/received prior to going missing (verified)
What else?

I would just like to mention that we are still looking for missing man. We have no concrete reason to believe Steven is no longer with us - for whatever reason. I don't know why we would be attempting to dig up dirt on the people who live in the area where the car was found if there's still a question by some as to whether that actually was Steven on the video, whether he got into another car upon arrival or whether he actually went into a home in the area at all. To our knowledge, there is no POI or suspect in Steven's disappearance. And I'm fairly confident LE on this case has looked at the backgrounds of those in the neighborhood.

But perhaps that's just me.

BTW, I have been to that neighborhood and saw nothing that even remotely resembled a "business" where people would be coming and going.

There's lots of home-based businesses that don't require the public to come to the location. But that kinda takes away the "job interview" thing?

I've been playing around tonight....just another way to organize information. This time, scenarios. I tried to remember everything that's been suggested here, then list the pros/cons. Anyone want to make suggestions?
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/scenarios

There's lots of home-based businesses that don't require the public to come to the location. But that kinda takes away the "job interview" thing?

I've been playing around tonight....just another way to organize information. This time, scenarios. I tried to remember everything that's been suggested here, then list the pros/cons. Anyone want to make suggestions?
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/scenarios

Awesome! Under scenario one in category 1 - can we add to the "pros" his seemingly aimless travels prior to going missing? This might fit into the "quick money" scenario as well.

Speaking of the insurance fraud scenario - wouldn't Steven have to have had a mailing address in order to benefit financially? Since his car was located, obviously it didn't pan out. But would it be possible to find out if he filed a different address to his insurance agency? I suppose they would already know if he had filed a change of address for all his mail.....

This scenario requires a co-conspirator (someone to pick Steven up and take him home so he can report the car stolen). Or someone to meet him, so they can take the car away and drop it off a cliff?

I don't see where he'd need a different address. The point would be that the car was "stolen" from St George....and it's never seen again, or recovered but a total loss. At least he'd be out the payments...and maybe a little ahead?

But if the plan falls through for some reason, who suffers? Steven?
Would he sit somewhere, nearby, until the next day.....even checking his voicemail, to see where his "ride" was?

I can't see him pulling it off...and is that the point?

This scenario requires a co-conspirator (someone to pick Steven up and take him home so he can report the car stolen). Or someone to meet him, so they can take the car away and drop it off a cliff?

I don't see where he'd need a different address. The point would be that the car was "stolen" from St George....and it's never seen again, or recovered but a total loss. At least he'd be out the payments...and maybe a little ahead?

But if the plan falls through for some reason, who suffers? Steven?
Would he sit somewhere, nearby, until the next day.....even checking his voicemail, to see where his "ride" was?

I can't see him pulling it off...and is that the point?

I have a difficult time thinking like a criminal, so I'm not really sure how one would pull this off. But the more I thought about it, it occurred to me that he would had to have filed a police report for the stolen "vehicle" anyway, right? That obviously didn't happen.

This case makes my head hurt.

At 1500 a month or 50 people per day, you are going to find similar demographics. Just slice and dice the population - male, female, transgender. White, black, hispanic, asian, Native American and biracial. All age categories, all religions, etc.

I see no pattern to a handful of guys in Steven's demographic considering the HUGE population of missing persons in the Vegas area,

right I was just clarifying seemed you had a question of month, year - whatever earlier ....

I don't think it hurts a bit, to look at confirmed information from another angle.

But you wouldn't have to print out the threads. Why not just go through and cut/paste (with attribution) the various pieces of confirmed data...and put them into a Notepad (or whatever word processor you use) document? Then, you can move them around (more cut/paste) into some sort of seqence....without having to print it out and retype it all.

If you want to create a document we can all look at, just use a google account and paste it all in there. It's pretty easy, once you figure out that it's easier than it looks ;)

I, for one, support what you're thinking of doing and am anxious to see it.

Edit: I just picked up some info you've included that "we know"...and that is news here:
You say "We know he talked to his dad on nov. 9.". We DO?

the dad - I meant dec. 9 my bad - I was referring to his conversation about the back rent - seriously my mistake -
Great suggestions on the cut & paste - I only say to print them out for myself b/c I work better with hard copy & everything right in front of me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3