GUILTY NY - Bernard Madoff charged in $50 billion fraud, 2008 - dies Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is sad he couldn't find another way. Perhaps eventually he could have found another career to enjoy and provide for his family, but with that last name it might have been difficult to even get a job at Burger King, I don't know. He must have known it would be years and years before all this litigation would be over. And I'm sure it would be difficult to live in luxury for 46 years and then lose some or all of it. Just very sad and, as others have said, Bernie is the one who gave this to his family. He wasn't just cheating his clients. What was going through his mind? How did he live with that every day for 50 years and knowing that it could all come crumbling down at any time. Maybe he's some kind of sick thrill seeker or something.

I am curious about how the whole business worked. If it was based on a Ponzi scheme, then how could the rest of it operate in a seemingly legit manner that the employees wouldn't see the problems? I'm sure a secretary or someone like that wouldn't know, but if he wasn't really investing his clients' money, what were all the financial-type employees doing?

abc.com has a good article (see link below). It has been suggested that his confession to his sons and them going to the FBI might have been designed to protect them from suspicion. But they did brake all their contact with father and mother after this, apparently. Anyhow, it's not at all surprising the guy killed himself. He was used to living in luxury and then everything collapsed. Also if he broke all the contact with his parents that could have contributed to depression because if you look up to your parents your whole life and then you decide not to have any contact with them it ought to be difficult, I'd think.

"What would you do if you were a father trying to protect his sons," asked Suzanne Murphy. "'I'm going to say you knew nothing about it, because I'm seventy years old, you're forty, you've got children. So I will take the fall for this.' It's probably the only menschy Jewish thing he's done."
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/mark-madoff-madoff-chronicles/story?id=12374049&page=5

It is sad he couldn't find another way. Perhaps eventually he could have found another career to enjoy and provide for his family, but with that last name it might have been difficult to even get a job at Burger King, I don't know. He must have known it would be years and years before all this litigation would be over. And I'm sure it would be difficult to live in luxury for 46 years and then lose some or all of it. Just very sad and, as others have said, Bernie is the one who gave this to his family. He wasn't just cheating his clients. What was going through his mind? How did he live with that every day for 50 years and knowing that it could all come crumbling down at any time. Maybe he's some kind of sick thrill seeker or something.

I am curious about how the whole business worked. If it was based on a Ponzi scheme, then how could the rest of it operate in a seemingly legit manner that the employees wouldn't see the problems? I'm sure a secretary or someone like that wouldn't know, but if he wasn't really investing his clients' money, what were all the financial-type employees doing?

BBM
Bernie did not do this for 50 years. He actually was a REAL star on Wall Street, with a great reputation.
He got arrogant about 15 years ago, he started thinking he would do it for a very short run. and get out of it quick, but greed got the best of him. He was in a very high position in the Stock exchange at one time, and nobody questioned him and should have. This gave him a license to continue stealing, and he knew exactly what the Banks were doing. This man was NO dummy. Just greedy. He himself said that he wished he had either stopped or been caught 8 years earlier.

When Bernie started to do this, his sons were young and would not have known about this.
Bernie separated the 2 businesses and had his sons on a different floor.
However, he did have his wife on his floor several times a week, and she was his first bookkeeper so she had to know things. in fact when she had to move out of her Penthouse and was allocated just enough to
buy a studio apartment to live in for the rest of her life (ONE ROOM) I DID NOT feel sorry for her.
She used to go to my Hair salon, I never saw her, but I know they refused to take her appointments after the scandal had started, so she asked to have someone go to her house and again she was told NO we do not want your business. She goes t the super market late, late at night, because during the day they do not let her in, it creates mob scenes and unhappy customers.
I imagine it was the same for Mark and family. he did say in one e-mail to his wife that he can no longer live with the curse his father put on his family. I think Mark was hurting for his wife and children too.
Not to mention that he suddenly became an orphan. No Parents at all.

The ones who lost a lot of money want it back. MANY who got in with Bernie EARLY on and were paid dividends on a regular basis. GOT their principle out...And will not be getting anything. However, many who invested in the latest years lost out and they got pennies on the dollar.

I do not think Mark would have ever lived as a poor man, but a chunk of his 66 million in assets was on the chopping block. As were his children’s Trust Funds.
I think Mark must have felt that his father would be in prison for life for nothing if he had to lose it all.
He certainly did not go from rich to poor NO! However, he did go from a privileged life to a much-hated one.

I had not heard about the 1-room studio apartment. Interesting. Yeah, that is what she deserves IMO. How will they ever get it all sorted out, who owes what money etc? Big mess.

What a terrible thing to happen right before the holidays. The children are the real victims here. First their grandfather is in prison for the rest of his life. Now their father is passed away. What was to be their family fortune is gone. I pray these children get the help they are going to need for a long long time. I hope their mother teaches them that money is not always a good thing, it has destroyed their family and it certainly is not worth dying over.

Based on this list of all the people and companies being sued, this mess will take years.

Factbox: Madoff trustee's major lawsuits over epic fraud
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101211/bs_nm/us_madoff_trustee_1

Ruths NYC apartment notice the Squre foot. Originally those are studio units.
http://dealbreaker.com/2009/07/ruth-madoff-spanish-harlem-bound/
http://therealdeal.com/newyork/arti...pper-east-side-trafalgar-house-bernard-madoff

Here is where they say NY refued to sell to her
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Ruth-Madoff--98702654.html

And she has one in Florida.
Ruth Madoff: Summer in the City With No Apologies, Red Dye Job
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ruth-...doffs-wife-apologies/story?id=11179502&page=2

It is hard believe they didnt know what was going on, maybe they didnt know EXACTLY but they mustve been suspicious. Did you ever see the interview with the man on 60 Mins? He said when he went in and saw the Madoff's books........he said it did not look right. I wish I could remember his name:banghead:

Based on this list of all the people and companies being sued, this mess will take years.

Factbox: Madoff trustee's major lawsuits over epic fraud
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101211/bs_nm/us_madoff_trustee_1

Ruths NYC apartment notice the Squre foot. Originally those are studio units.
http://dealbreaker.com/2009/07/ruth-madoff-spanish-harlem-bound/
http://therealdeal.com/newyork/arti...pper-east-side-trafalgar-house-bernard-madoff

Here is where they say NY refued to sell to her
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Ruth-Madoff--98702654.html

And she has one in Florida.
Ruth Madoff: Summer in the City With No Apologies, Red Dye Job
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/ruth-...doffs-wife-apologies/story?id=11179502&page=2

errr, Boca Raton is very nice place.
Lots of fellow rich people there for her.

What a terrible thing to happen right before the holidays. The children are the real victims here. First their grandfather is in prison for the rest of his life. Now their father is passed away. What was to be their family fortune is gone. I pray these children get the help they are going to need for a long long time. I hope their mother teaches them that money is not always a good thing, it has destroyed their family and it certainly is not worth dying over.
BBM

Actually, their holiday just ended.... Hanukah = the festival of lights.
And at the end of light, came darkness. :( that would be a hard memory to hold.

I do not think they will ever NOT be rich, just maybe they will not be filthy rich.

errr, Boca Raton is very nice place.
Lots of fellow rich people there for her.
hmmm but they ripped them all off.
I do not think anyone is talking to her ;)
Unfortunately, she is living a very lonly life
As she said.

Rich people have every gadget on earth. Blackberries are how most folks today get all their e-mails.
She could have even read her e-mail in the toilet, grocery store, bed. Anywhere.
I am sure they had anI phone or a blackberrie. I am sure that they got each others mail in a matter of seconds.
ALL my friends who are couples have it.
What about texting. Even poor poeple can do that.:

I've learned so much from you. Thank you.

I've learned so much from you. Thank you.
since I wrote that, we learned that the e-mails were in the night.
But I still think they have IPhone. LOL :)

He wont be needing his anymore can I get it for 1/2 price? just kidding.
those things are not cheep.

I learn a lot from you too Dan, thank you :blowkiss:
I just came back from the JFK threads one of my faiv. Presidents. :blowkiss:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5280644n&tag=mncol;lst;3

I hope this is the right link. It was over a yr ago and it says Bernie M's sons were going to be looked into. (where they got the $$$ to buy with CASH 6.5M home, etc.)
Maybe the pressure was just too much.
6.5 million dollars in cash in NY is nothing. Many apartments are bought for cash here, it is not new in NY.
Do you know how much the guy from Google, Facebook, and other site have??? do you know how young they are?
If you look it up you will be surprised, and there are so many just like them.

For Mark Madoff to have 20-30 million is one thing, acceptable for his trade. But to have 66 million is another thing, I wonder too how much his father gave to his sons that was ill gotten?
What if Bernie bought them big I mean huge gifts. like most of thier real estate?
I know Mark paid 6.5 for the house in Nantucket, that was in a Real Estate Trade paper long ago.
But what if Bernie bough much of the rest??? we do not know.

My last boss has billions too. he is named one of the richest in fortune 500 or fortune 100 I do not remember what he has anymore. I remember something like 750B (not million)
his son is 30 and has many many millions plus a great inheritance when the time comes.
But today he can easily buy several 6.5 million properties for cash.

The book the millionaire next door was simply telling us that they are everywhere, including next door.
NY is not the rest of the world it is a world of its own. They stopped talking in millions here long ago,
they have been talking billions for years now we laugh and wait for them to talk gazillions.

We know that Mark is worth 66 million but we never hear anything about little brother Andrew.

since I wrote that, we learned that the e-mails were in the night.
But I still think they have IPhone. LOL :)

He wont be needing his anymore can I get it for 1/2 price? just kidding.
those things are not cheep.

I learn a lot from you too Dan, thank you :blowkiss:
I just came back from the JFK threads one of my faiv. Presidents. :blowkiss:

Songline, when I started posting on this thread I had the following information: Apparent Suicide. Hanging from Dog Leash. "Desperate" emails to wife and lawyer at 4am. Body found at 7:30 am on a Saturday. Two year old son and Dog in home. Wife and 4 year old daughter in Florida. No ransom note. No voice message. No phone call. Just emails at 4 am? Hmmm....Sounded a little hinky. I asked myself, "how do we know for sure it was Mark who actually sent the emails?" Hmm. "Did anyone else have motive to kill him?" Double hmmm. Since this is Websleuths, I started wildly speculating any conceivable, if not believable, way a killer(s) could have killed him while making it look like a suicide.

So, you didn't know the emails were sent at 4am when you first started responding to my posts? Well...that explains a lot then. As an emerging story, information was constantly being updated online, so we wrote our posts utilizing different knowledge bases. The information available to each of us varied through time and the news' sources each of us accessed. Simply put, we weren't on the same page. I admit, I was stupified as to why you would impugn my intelligence by implying I was incognizant of modern modes of communication and the marvel that is the iPhone. I feel so much better now. ;)

Oh, and, by the way... I'm not Dan. But, I bet he'll appreciate your intent to compliment and thank him. :blowkiss:

Songline, when I started posting on this thread I had the following information: Apparent Suicide. Hanging from Dog Leash. "Desperate" emails to wife and lawyer at 4am. Body found at 7:30 am on a Saturday. Two year old son and Dog in home. Wife and 4 year old daughter in Florida. No ransom note. No voice message. No phone call. Just emails at 4 am? Hmmm....Sounded a little hinky. I thought, "how do we know for sure it was Mark who actually sent the emails? Hmm. Did anyone else have motive to kill him? Double hmmm. Since this is Websleuths, I started wildly speculating any conceivable, if not believable, way a killer(s) could have killed him while making it look like a suicide.

So, you didn't know the emails were sent at 4am when you first started responding to my posts? Well...that explains a lot then. As an emerging story, information was constantly being updated online, so we wrote our posts utilizing different knowledge bases. The information available to each of us varied through time and the news' sources each of us accessed. Simply put, we weren't on the same page. I admit, I was stupified as to why you would impugn my intelligence by implying I was incognizant of modern modes of communication and the marvel that is the iPhone. I feel so much better now. ;)

Oh, and, by the way... I'm not Dan. But, I appreciate your intent to compliment and thank me. :blowkiss:

You fooled me Steely. :) I was not noticing but we do have a Steely Dan too. LOL And he has the JFK thread going.
Meet Steely Dan Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

you are right I knew he was e-mailing with the wife but not till later on did I know it was at 4:00 AM.
so we were indeed on a different page. :)
BUT we are on the same page now :angel:
I did not mean to imply that you do not know about I phone, but you asked me how do I know she is getting his messages right away, and I know that with I phone you get it right away.
(unless you are sleeping of course) LOL :blowkiss:

You fooled me Steely. :)
BUT we are on the same page now :angel: :blowkiss:

Not my intent...I was originally steelyblue and after a long absence and forgetting my name and password I re-registered. I alerted Websleuths when I realized I had two registrations and they merged them with the newer name and my first registration date. So...I'm Steely but I didn't know there was a SteelyDan.

Yes, we are on the same page now. No worries. :blowkiss:

Bernard Madoff will not travel to son Mark’s funeral

Convicted Ponzi-schemer Bernard Madoff won’t attend his son’s Mark’s funeral, according to CNBC.
>snip>
Madoff will not travel to the funeral, but instead will hold a private ceremony at the medium-security Butner Federal Correctional Institution in North Carolina where he is serving a 150-year sentence. His decision not to attend is to protect his family’s privacy, Ira Sorkin, the attorney for Bernard Madoff, told CNBC
>snip>>>>>>More at link
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40640255/ns/business-us_business/

Very sad ending :(

I do not care what he has done; he should be allowed to go to his son’s funeral.
However, he has so many enemies that the rest of the family may be in danger.
JMHO

Ruth is blaming Bernie for all of this - I heard it on a video this morning.
there will be no reporters at the funeral, and nobody will be photographed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sqwkie
Back