NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
About complaints by some former Honor Block inmates that they are being mistreated while being questioned about the escape.

One article I read said the ex- Blockees have been transported out of Clinton and dispersed to other prisons.

Just a guess, but if that's true I can imagine CO's elsewhere assume at least some of those inmates heard Sweat and Matt hacking through walls and said nothing, and that many more became way too accustomed to privileged treatment by Clinton's CO's.

Maybe some corrective correctionals going on, then, appropriate or not.

Or it could be assumed the other honor block inmates learned of the pending escape via the inmate vine, a week before it happened, didn't much approve of it as they knew the whole honor block would be shut down, and inmates moved out. Perhaps they confronted Matt and Sweat in the yard ? Hence the fight in the yard?

Bedlam for months to come.

Just my opinion.

Matt's son to claim remains

"A Plattsburgh funeral home is working with one in Tonawanda to return Richard Matt’s body to his family.

A daughter contacted Franklin County Coroner Brian Langdon Monday to claim the Clinton Correctional fugitive's remains, “but due to several factors, she had to decline,” he said.
“But a son expressed interest, and (Matt) was released to a funeral home in Plattsburgh."

[...]

Nicholas Harris of Buffalo was making arrangements for transportation of the body from Heald Funeral Home Inc. in Plattsburgh to Erie County, but Jay Heald said he could not disclose when that was expected to take place.

[...]

The coroner said that if a family member had not come forward, he would have had to apply to the Franklin County Department of Social Services to request an indigent burial for Matt.

A woman who heard Matt's body might not be claimed has offered to donate money to see that the convicted killer has a proper burial.

"Every now and then, a story to which I have no connection moves me to the point of action," Maryann Snell told the Press-Republican in an email. "(And) recalling the comments by Franklin County Coroner Brian Langdon that 'it is not my part to judge the person,' I feel strongly about contributing to the cost of a respectful burial for Matt.

"It comes down to compassion, respect, forgiveness," she said. "These are qualities I find so admirable in others, especially in complex and highly controversial situations, and so I endeavor to practice them more myself.

"Also, receiving unexpected kindness from others, including perfect strangers, has taught me to 'pay it forward,' which is another reason for helping Matt's family," Snell wrote.""

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...a9c-c574-59e8-9ce0-2c45395fca27.html?mode=jqm

Not much about this whole story is true. First lie, no one else has ever escaped the prison, to the hole in the pipe. Then we have the maps Sweat had, the notes we have never seen before from the pipe with magnets, and of course the exact time Joyce was admitted into the hospital, can you believe no one knows that one??

Next we have how did Matt get through the pipe for 800 feet, followed by what did they eat for the first week? Lots of denial here from the captured, just not a lot of facts.
I personally cannot wait to see the mythbusters episode when they perform all these stunts M&S did with tools, the wall, the pipe, the sewer etc.

Lieutenant, sergeant, 6 COs among 12 suspended

"As more information comes to light about nine suspended Clinton Correctional security staffers, one North Country lawmaker believes innocent employees are being punished.

"It appears that the selection of these nine is some sort of message that is being sent to the sharks in the national media, and they don't know or care about what goes on in there," Assemblywoman Janet Duprey (R-Peru) told the Press-Republican Thursday.

"Are there one or two that are bad? Maybe, but I know that five, six or seven of them did nothing wrong."

PLACED ON LEAVE

The Press-Republican learned on Thursday from sources familiar with the matter that eight of the nine security staff placed on administrative leave Tuesday were: Terry Burnett, a lieutenant and night shift commander the night of the escape; Tim Harding, a sergeant; and correction officers Mike Furnia, Tanner Williams, Scott Giguere, Larry Dearborn, Ron Blair and Tom Renadette.

The name of the ninth staffer was not available.

Also suspended by the State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision in connection with the investigation into the escape of inmates Richard Matt and David Sweat on June 6 were Superintendent Steve Racette, Deputy Superintendent Don Quinn and Deputy Superintendent of Security Stephen Brown.

[...]

Duprey, a member of the Assembly Committee on Corrections, said from what she understands, most of the nine staff placed on leave had little or nothing to do with the escape.

"No one knows why some of them got placed on leave, and that is frustrating — and very hard for them and their families," she said.

Duprey met with employees at the prison Thursday and said afterwards that many of them are demoralized by the investigation that is being conducted by the State Inspector General's Office.

"I have tremendous respect for the people who work behind those walls who have been through a lot with all of this," she said.

"The public has no idea what they have to deal with every day in there. Every minute of every day, you have to be sharp because you are dealing with not-so-nice people.""

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...3ce-2107-11e5-ba0f-1bf6490c2f9e.html?mode=jqm

I increased the size of the picture of that hole and that scoring mark on top left is definitely on outside of pipe. It is just a score going partially through the edge of the pipe so it proves from outside.

Also another proof it was done from outside is the location of the hole. Notice the wall in the picture. If they were on inside of pipe there is no way they would know they were exactly less than 1 foot just outside of that wall.

Yeah, this was an "outside job". LOL

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ionals-help-cutting-cell-wall-steam-pipe.html

This is the first hole...the one they went into. The wall in the picture is the actual prison wall. This one being cut from the outside has never been in question. It's the second hole they allegedly cut from inside of the pipe to exit it. No picture of that hole has ever been released.

Still, Sweat is trying to give himself far too much credit. I am sure investigators have experts who can easily tell what tools can be used to make those cuts with such precision. And I'd bet a hacksaw blade ain't one of them. lol

Not much about this whole story is true. First lie, no one else has ever escaped the prison, to the hole in the pipe. Then we have the maps Sweat had, the notes we have never seen before from the pipe with magnets, and of course the exact time Joyce was admitted into the hospital, can you believe no one knows that one??

Next we have how did Matt get through the pipe for 800 feet, followed by what did they eat for the first week? Lots of denial here from the captured, just not a lot of facts.
I personally cannot wait to see the mythbusters episode when they perform all these stunts M&S did with tools, the wall, the pipe, the sewer etc.

Where's nancy grace?

How did they travel? Are there paths or ?

I think they may have just followed the road down to the first cabin on Hugh Heron Road. That's just 2 miles south, and easy walk. They could have done that at night, the first night of the escape (except for their scent at the gas station several days later -- hard to make that fit in. Did they dare to venture back into town to find food?

There's power lines that go from that area over to Owls Head. They could have followed those, but not if they stayed in cabins in Clark Hill and Standish. But there's footpaths and snowmobile paths that snake through the forest, along with lightly traveled roads.

Matt's son to claim remains

"A Plattsburgh funeral home is working with one in Tonawanda to return Richard Matt’s body to his family.

A daughter contacted Franklin County Coroner Brian Langdon Monday to claim the Clinton Correctional fugitive's remains, “but due to several factors, she had to decline,” he said.
“But a son expressed interest, and (Matt) was released to a funeral home in Plattsburgh."

[...]

Nicholas Harris of Buffalo was making arrangements for transportation of the body from Heald Funeral Home Inc. in Plattsburgh to Erie County, but Jay Heald said he could not disclose when that was expected to take place.

[...]

The coroner said that if a family member had not come forward, he would have had to apply to the Franklin County Department of Social Services to request an indigent burial for Matt.

A woman who heard Matt's body might not be claimed has offered to donate money to see that the convicted killer has a proper burial.

"Every now and then, a story to which I have no connection moves me to the point of action," Maryann Snell told the Press-Republican in an email. "(And) recalling the comments by Franklin County Coroner Brian Langdon that 'it is not my part to judge the person,' I feel strongly about contributing to the cost of a respectful burial for Matt.

"It comes down to compassion, respect, forgiveness," she said. "These are qualities I find so admirable in others, especially in complex and highly controversial situations, and so I endeavor to practice them more myself.

"Also, receiving unexpected kindness from others, including perfect strangers, has taught me to 'pay it forward,' which is another reason for helping Matt's family," Snell wrote.""

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...a9c-c574-59e8-9ce0-2c45395fca27.html?mode=jqm

Matt vowed to see daughter ... [video=cnn;justice/2015/07/02/david-sweat-testimony-new-york-prison-break-explainer-danny-cevallos-orig.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/03/us/new-york-prison-break/index.html[/video]

STATE-WIDE HONOR BLOCK POPULATION IN 2006, AND THE REASON WHY IT EXISTS

Quote below is from a 2006 NYS DOC report (which has a lot of other interesting info, BTW):

A prerequisite for admittance into any honor housing unit is a positive disciplinary record. Ten maximum-security prisons have nearly 1,500 cells in honor blocks while there are almost 1,600 beds in honor housing at 18 medium-security prisons.

Inmates whose behavior allows for honor housing placement receive additional benefits that can include, depending upon facility, access to late-night recreation, additional television viewing hours, more liberal hours to use collect call-only phones, additional commissary buys, expanded on-unit cooking privileges, use of clothing washer and dryer machines, additional yard privileges and additional hours of shower operations.

Honor housing is also separate from the general population where conduct is not always so honorable. In maximum-security prisons, honor housing may offer larger cells than those in general population.

http://www.doccs.ny.gov/PressRel/06commissionerrpt/06prisonsafetyrpt.htm

How was Tillie going to know which manhole to pick them up from?

Good point. According to Mitchell, she was supposed to pick them up at the power plant. I guess that would give them a little leeway with regard to manholes. http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/us/new-york-prison-break/

I can't seem to find the power plant on the map, though.

ETA: I did find the Lower Saranac Hydroelectric Plant in Plattsburgh, but that would be too far to hike.

ETA: OK found it!! It's just 1/3 mile south of prison. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cli...b46d8a81!2m2!1d-73.720901!2d44.723284!1m0!3e2

‘See you on the outside,’ Matt said in letter delivered to daughter in Buffalo suburb

Three days after Richard W. Matt broke out of the maximum-security prison in Dannemora, his daughter living in a Buffalo suburb received a letter from him, delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.

“I always promised you I would see you on the outside. I’m a man of my word,” a portion of the letter stated, according to information obtained by The Buffalo News from law enforcement officials.

The letter was postmarked prior to the June 6 escape and arrived June 9.

Matt, The News learned, had undergone back surgery for an injury he had suffered at some point while in prison.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...ivered-to-daughter-in-buffalo-suburb-20150702

So Matt was the one with the back problem...not Sweat!!!

Why might Clinton CO's and others in the lower-medium ranks of the DOC system-wide want to blame Albany (besides wanting to shift blame)? Maybe because they don't get paid well enough, the job is hellish, and......they may have fears about job security :

2014 NY DOC RESTRUCTURING AND CUTS RESULTED FROM DECLINE IN PRISON POPULATION, ESPECIALLY IN MEDIUM SECURITY FACILITIES.

(note: Earlier facility closures (2011-2014) were also prompted by a decade-long gradual decline in inmate population).

(paraphrasing from 2/15/2014 press release): http://www.doccs.ny.gov/PressRel/index.html

DECLINE IN OVERALL PRISON POPULATION

In the last decade, the crime rate fell by 13 percent in New York. The inmate population declined 25 percent, from an all-time high of 71,600 in 1999 to approximately 54,200 today.

(note: the all-time high inmate population was in large part due to implementation of the “War on Drugs).

DECLINE IN DRUG-OFFENDER POPULATION IN MEDIUM SECURITY FACILITIES

1996: 24,000 drug offenders in New York State prisons.

2013 (end of year): less than 6,700, a 72 percent decline.

INMATE POPULATION DECLINE LED TO RESTRUCTURING

**Over 5,500 prison beds were eliminated between 2011 through July 2014,

** 13 (or 14?) minimum and medium security facilities were closed down

** Staff from closing facilities were allowed to transfer to other prisons, other state agencies or retirement

** $50 million fund set up for affected communities where facilities were located (acknowledging the impact of lost jobs, etc. due to closures).

** Closures resulted in approx. $184 million savings in years 2011-2013

‘See you on the outside,’ Matt said in letter delivered to daughter in Buffalo suburb

Three days after Richard W. Matt broke out of the maximum-security prison in Dannemora, his daughter living in a Buffalo suburb received a letter from him, delivered by the U.S. Postal Service.

“I always promised you I would see you on the outside. I’m a man of my word,” a portion of the letter stated, according to information obtained by The Buffalo News from law enforcement officials.

Matt, The News learned, had undergone back surgery for an injury he had suffered at some point while in prison.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...ivered-to-daughter-in-buffalo-suburb-20150702

Which may be why he was drinking a lot....back pain, no meds. And no sympathy from Sweat, though I doubt Matt expected any. ;)

There are a couple of excellent comments to this article IMO, both made by the same individual, speaking to prison security.

There are a couple of excellent comments to this article IMO, both made by the same individual, speaking to prison security.

Wonder if Matt's letters were being read by anyone at the prison before being sent, or if unread letters were another special privilege.

Would think that mention of seeing his daughter on the outside would raise an eyebrow, or.....something.

The manhole plan at first seemed silly to me - I mean they virtually succeeded in their escape and then turned around and went back because the street it led to seemed too populated and risky.

BUT, it simply shows they were well planned for this escape, IMO. They never wanted to escape on foot. They wanted to be picked up by Mitchell and driven to Mexico to escape.

Of course a free ride and free hostage would be their preference. That plan may have actually worked. I don't know if Sweat or Matt discussed it, but when their ride didn't show Plan B obviously took effect.

Wonder if Matt's letters were being read by anyone at the prison before being sent, or if unread letters were another special privilege.

Would think that mention of seeing his daughter on the outside would raise an eyebrow, or.....something.

For sure. Another of many red flags missed. Lordy!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back