NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know, but if Sweat has been so forthcoming and truthful about everything like being the mastermind and doing all that sawing himself by hand, why won't he tell them where he got that backpack from?

He made it in the tailor shop?

How Did They Get Out? Testing the
Tools the Escapees Could Have Used

The New York Times asked Paul Monck, a boilermaker and instructor at Lincoln Technical Institute, in Union, N.J., to run a series of tests on a three-foot section of carbon-steel pipe similar to the one in the prison that the inmates cut and crawled through to escape. The tests involved several tools that could have been used, including a hacksaw. We measured how far Mr. Monck was able cut with each tool in five minutes. We also measured how noisy each tool was.

More...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ou-escape-from-a-maximum-security-prison.html

this is interesting. i always wondered how did no one else HEAR it. is it seriously THAT noisy in a prison that you can take a hacksaw to a pipe and no one bats an eye?

I wonder what the real deal is on that backpack. Was there something suspicious that they found in there or do they think it possibly was given/hidden for them because no one has claimed it stolen yet?

Hmm. That's a pricey backpack- around $180, and kinda an unusual brand- typically its geared to swimmers or scuba divers.

Seems odd that someone would leave an expensive swimmers' backpack in an unoccupied mountain cabin.

Is there a way of finding out where the backpack was purchased ? For a second I thought that they may have killed some poor hiker...but no one in their right mind would have been hiking during the hunt for murderers, and no missing persons reports. So, either it came from a camp, and was stolen, or someone deliberately supplied it and does not care to fess up. JMO

Hmm. That's a pricey backpack- around $180, and kinda an unusual brand- typically its geared to swimmers or scuba divers.

Seems odd that someone would leave an expensive swimmers' backpack in an unoccupied mountain cabin.

Yeah. I'd be pretty mad if my 180 dollar backpack was stolen. They could check it for DNA. JMO

And while we're at it, where did all the pop tarts come from, and knives, and camo clothes... to name a few. One would think that people who have camps would be interested in finding out if the two broke in. JMO HMMM maybe all the goodies were already IN the backpack.

Pop Tarts. Perfect rat food. Hard to believe they are left at a cabin.

Helpful hint to investigators.....that backpack is sold at Dick's Sporting Goods, and the closest store to the prison is 11 miles away in Plattsburg. Receipt check?

ETA....Quite an uncommon brand in NY, actually. Dick's Sporting Goods in Plattsb. is the only regular retail store selling that brand in northern NY. The next closest DSG is 90 plus miles away, in Williston Vermont.

Other than DSG, only specialty shops sell the brand, and there's again only one such shop in northen NY- a ski shop in Lake Placid.

The brand is more commonly available in VT, especially in the Burlington area.

If someone helping the two escape bought the backpack recently, and bought it in NY, there seem to be only 2 stores to check. If it was bought online...gee, hope investigators have access to records of every Honor Block CO's credit card purchases for the past year.

Was it planted in the Mobil station dumpster, all packed and ready for them ??? Gene, Gene the helper machine.....JMO

So, more like a cross country ski pack?...Hope4... you win the sleuther prize of the day! JMO

Helpful hint to investigators.....that backpack is sold at Dick's Sporting Goods, and the closest store to the prison is 11 miles away in Plattsburg. Receipt check?

ETA....Quite an uncommon brand in NY, actually. Dick's Sporting Goods in Plattsb. is the only regular retail store selling that brand in northern NY. The next closest DSG is 90 plus miles away, in Williston Vermont.

Other than DSG, only specialty shops sell the brand, and there's again only one such shop in northen NY- a ski shop in Lake Placid.

The brand is more commonly available in VT, especially in the Burlington area.

If someone helping the two escape bought the backpack recently, and bought it in NY, there seem to be only 2 stores to check. If it was bought online...gee, hope investigators have access to records of every Honor Block CO's credit card purchases for the past year.

Tyr brand is actually a very common swimming brand here in N. CA. My daughter was on swim team for 7 years, and the team would always pick Tyr for their racing suits. Well-made, not cheap. And yes, you can buy them online. Found one of my old links if you're interested: http://www.swimoutlet.com/womens-sw...arity&allbrand=1157&viewall=no&atbs=Racerback

I think someone leaving the backpack behind in a cabin is more likely than an accomplice buying them this particular brand.

It's just strange that it was left in a hunting cabin, if it was. It probably was not purchased for them originally. That would be a risky investment. JMO

Tyr brand is actually a very common swimming brand here in N. CA. My daughter was on swim team for 7 years, and the team would always pick Tyr for their racing suits. Well-made, not cheap. And yes, you can buy them online.

Likely more common there because the company is based in CA.

I think someone leaving the backpack behind in a cabin is more likely than an accomplice buying them this particular brand.
I read a lot about break-ins at cabins in the woods and it seems a lot of owners don't leave expensive stuff behind. And they leave non-perishables... Not pop tarts. Plus, That backpack isn't a cheapie. I sure wouldn't have left it in a cabin. Especially some of the ones we've seen pics of online.

I agree, but would you leave this backpack in a cabin. Plus, my husband is a big hunter...all kinds of hunting He sure never had a backpack like that used for hunting.

The two broke into only a handful of cabins. Only one of those cabins--the one leased by Clinton CO's, was close to any place that could be considered a resort area.

The cabins they broke into were isolated, deep woods hunter type camps most likely owned by locals. Local hunters aren't likely to haul stuff to a hunting camp in a $180 specialty backpack, much less to leave one behind in a cabin, IMO.

None of the cabins seems a likely destination for weekend hikers, and even if do, what hiker or backpacker is going to leave their backpack behind? Doesn't make sense.

I think it's entirely possible it was bought for the escape. Say it was bought in Plattsburgh at DSG. DSG isn't a backpacking store and options for backpacks would be limited, especially large backpacks the size of the one Sweat had.

Someone unfamiliar with backpacks or that kind of recreational gear wouldn't have any reason to know it isn't a common brand.

Likely more common there because the company is based in CA.

Yes, but we weren't the only team in the area to pick Tyr suits, and I don't think it's because they're California based. I think it's because they are well-made, hydrodynamic suits, and they can be purchased online. Athletic-minded people would know of the brand. This would fit with someone who has a recreational cabin in the woods, a hiker-type person. Because they are a pricey brand, I just don't see an accomplice buying this type of brand for them. More likely, someone with money left it behind.

It's just strange that it was left in a hunting cabin, if it was. It probably was not purchased for them originally. That would be a risky investment. JMO
Maybe that is why they are trying to find a cabin owner who did leave this in a cabin. If no cabin owner left it, then they might have to assume Matt and Sweat had help.

Whatever happened to the duffel bag that was supposedly on the porch at the Owls Head cabin? JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back