NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I read a lot about break-ins at cabins in the woods and it seems a lot of owners don't leave expensive stuff behind. And they leave non-perishables... Not pop tarts. Plus, That backpack isn't a cheapie. I sure wouldn't have left it in a cabin. Especially some of the ones we've seen pics of online.

Agree that their stuff isn't cheap. A swimsuit would cost us $60-75. But someone who has the money to purchase a cabin may not care about the cost.

Yes, but we weren't the only team in the area to pick Tyr suits, and I don't think it's because they're California based. I think it's because they are well-made, hydrodynamic suits, and they can be purchased online. Athletic-minded people would know of the brand. This would fit with someone who has a recreational cabin in the woods, a hiker-type person. Because they are a pricey brand, I just don't see an accomplice buying this type of brand for them. More likely, someone with money left it behind.

I'm only a recreational swimmer so have no familiarity with speciality swim ware of any kind, and I despise running for sport, which seems to be another of the company's target markets.

On the other hand, I know a great deal about backpacks and tents and whitewater gear of every kind because I've used all that kind of gear for many many years and used to work in an outdoors outfitter store selling the stuff.

I have never heard of the brand and never known anyone who uses it. On the East Coast, from what I saw, it isn't widely available in stores. The places in NY-VT where the brand's backpacks are sold seem to be in ski shops largely located in places with downhill skiing nearby.

It may likely be that some of the items found with Sweat were questionable as to where he may have gotten them & he has told them some story that they are trying to find out if it was true & whose backpack it was could answer that. Although we are all quite good at getting any information out there, unfortunately they are surely not telling us all of it!

Agree that their stuff isn't cheap. A swimsuit would cost us $60-75. But someone who has the money to purchase a cabin may not care about the cost. Found one of my old links if you're interested: http://www.swimoutlet.com/womens-sw...arity&allbrand=1157&viewall=no&atbs=Racerback

The list of cabin locations has been made available. I agree with you that a well heeled cabin owner might think nothing of leaving that backpack in their own cabin.

But.....I don't think those cabins are owned by such folks. My assumptions about the backpack are based on believing that very unlikely.

Adding to my suspicion that the backpack was provided to the escapees is the very fact officials are asking for the backpack to be identified.

What well heeled owner of a cabin in that area --knowing the general route taken by the two- would not have checked their cabin by now? Or had someone else check it?

What seems likely is that Sweat told investigators he found the backpack in a cabin, but can't remember which cabin, and obviously nobody has reported it stolen.

Its a very useful item either way. If LE can prove it wasn't stolen from a cabin they'll have circumstantial proof Sweat and Matt either had assistance after they escaped, or prior assistance lined up for when they did break out.

I'm only a recreational swimmer so have no familiarity with speciality swim ware of any kind, and I despise running for sport, which seems to be another of the company's target markets.

On the other hand, I know a great deal about backpacks and tents and whitewater gear of every kind because I've used all that kind of gear for many many years and used to work in an outdoors outfitter store selling the stuff.

I have never heard of the brand and never known anyone who uses it. On the East Coast, from what I saw, it isn't widely available in stores. The places in NY-VT where the brand's backpacks are sold seem to be in ski shops largely located in places with downhill skiing nearby.

Okay, well I just Googled Sports Authority, which is a national chain, and they claim to have locations in New York and they also carry Tyr brand. Didn't even put in swimwear, just Tyr brand, and it came up. REI is another national chain with stores in New York who carries Tyr.

Okay, well I just Googled Sports Authority, which is a national chain, and they claim to have locations in New York and they also carry Tyr brand. Didn't even put in swimwear, just Tyr brand, and it came up. REI is another national chain with stores in New York who carries Tyr.

NY is a very big state. :). I've only looked into where TYR backpacks are sold in northern NY.

TYR has a store locator for all retail shops selling that specific backpack, and the 2 stores I listed are the only 2 stores in a radius of under 90 miles from Dannemora.

The zipcode there is 12929 if you keep looking...

ETA- looks like REI doesn't sell TYR backpacks anyway...though they do sell lots of TYR swim stuff.

NY is a very big state. :). I've only looked into where TYR backpacks are sold in northern NY.

TYR has a store locator for all retail shops selling that specific backpack, and the 2 stores I listed are the only 2 stores in a radius of under 90 miles from Dannemora.

The zipcode there is 12929 if you keep looking...
:hand: Not trying to be argumentative. The points I was making: 1) Tyr brand is known and sold across the nation. 2) It could've been purchased online, or the sport enthusiast may have bought it another state and brought it to the cabin.

:hand: Not trying to be argumentative. The points I was making: 1) Tyr brand is known and sold across the nation. 2) It could've been purchased online, or the sport enthusiast may have bought it another state and brought it to the cabin.

Sorry if anything I said sounded argumentative. Wasn't meant that way...the reverse, actually. I think the backpack angle is important, and so must LE or they wouldn't have gone public.

IMO it's relevant to know whether or not TYR backpacks-not swimware- were common and widely available for sale in northern NY. They just aren't.

They could be bought online, as you said, but given the huge choice of backpacks available online it would be very weird indeed for an accomplice to choose that particular brand.

I saw this a couple of days ago, but think this is an appropriate time to post it.

Jul 1
dedamwriter ‏@KimDedam
Of note: David Sweat is a con, a man who took a cop's life, his words may not all match the evidence

Sorry if anything I said sounded argumentative. Wasn't meant that way...the reverse, actually. I think the backpack angle is important, and so must LE or they wouldn't have gone public.

IMO it's relevant to know whether or not TYR backpacks-not swimware- were common and widely available for sale in northern NY. They just aren't.

They could be bought online, as you said, but given the huge choice of backpacks available online it would be very weird indeed for an accomplice to choose that particular brand.

Dick's Sporting Goods did show 2 Tyr backpacks online. This is how Tyr company describes themselves: TYR is a USA manufacturer of recreational & competitive swimwear, swim caps, swimming goggles, triathlon gear and more. Here's the link to their backpack page: http://www.tyr.com/shop/equipment/bags.html

Well, Sweat seems to have a keen memory for detail, but he just can't remember where the backpack came from? Maybe not, but it sounds like he is protecting someone. I mean, he went so far as to say yup, we were gonna kill Lyle, and we got stuff from cabins, but I would think that "finding" the backpack would be memorable.....JMO

Idk but if i were going to leave a backpack for some escaping felons i'd get one at a thrift store or yard sale... loads of confusing dna and harder to trace.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Hopefully everybody has checked their camps/cabins in that area by now. The camps I saw pictures of did look more like hunting camps than ski cabins. Have we seen pics of all the buildings they presumably stayed in or raided?

They were very close to Titus Mountain ski area at some point where it may have been a different type of retreat with different type of gear, potentially more in the lines of the TYR backpack. I could definitely see a skier, snowboarder type person leaving that behind if it's something they used seasonally while staying in the northern Adirondacks. And potentially people who ski sometimes come from more urban areas where that type of gear are more readily available/mainstream.

We don't know what the backpack contained....originally, or otherwise. The pop tarts should be easy to trace plus they have an expiration date. JMO

Swimteam Mom and former swimteam member from VT just chiming in to say that TYR is very popular in this area as well. All our swimsuits and gear are TYR. I'd say of those who have actual swim backpacks 90% are tyr. Ours are lol. Most people I know of purchase them online though.

I do hope that after the NY State Police have only asked about the backpack, that they pretty much know where all the other stuff came from. They never told us whether the "antique" shotgun was the gun that Matt was carrying. JMO

Here’s the kind of backpack I’m 99.9% is a match--

http://www.tyr.com/shop/tyr-convoy-transition-backpack.html

BTW- one review has this to say of the backpack: “the Convoy Transition Bag opens like a tool box so you don't have to spend time digging.” LOL

Also, the backpack has been sold since 2011 so not much help there.

Hopefully everybody has checked their camps/cabins in that area by now. The camps I saw pictures of did look more like hunting camps than ski cabins. Have we seen pics of all the buildings they presumably stayed in or raided?

They were very close to Titus Mountain ski area at some point where it may have been a different type of retreat with different type of gear, potentially more in the lines of the TYR backpack. I could definitely see a skier, snowboarder type person leaving that behind if it's something they used seasonally while staying in the northern Adirondacks. And potentially people who ski sometimes come from more urban areas where that type of gear are more readily available/mainstream.

Sweat taking it from a Titus Mt ski area cabin makes absolute sense, on all counts. Timeline wise, he would have stolen it after the Owls Head cabin for sure, and likely after he ditched Matt, right?

ETA- I change my vote, LinasK. Given a backpack that is sold in ski stores and cabins Sweat may have broken into near a ski area, it does seem more likely Sweat stole it rather than it was provided to him. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly
Back