NY NY - Chaim Weiss, 15, Long Beach, 1 Nov 1986

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
some people with information may falsely believe they should not say because they have no proof, there isn't another witness... but rabbis have spoken on this and said it is those people's duty to talk to the police.

That is a powerful video. I hope everyone on this thread watches it. SOMEONE KNOWS. There is a secret. It is time for that person to come forward. They will rest much easier knowing they have done the right thing!
Prayers continued for the family.

What strikes me about actually seeing the dorm is how small it is; again, makes me wonder how nobody hurt anything.

http://hamodia.com/2013/05/28/da-reopens-baffling-tragedy-of-chaim-weiss-zl/

what about the student who saw Chaim studying in his room at 1 a.m.?

it is important whether he was in his room with the light on after sundown because he would have to leave it on until .... idk.. maybe 11/2?

maybe Chaim's room with the light is what made the murderer pick his room.

eta
this article says hallway.

http://dusiznies.blogspot.com/2012/05/986-murder-of-jewish-child-chaim-weiss.html

looking for the link about the other victims being Jewish, i found this about Chaim. There are some people commenting who seem knowledgeable.

They say no lighting of candles would be done on Sabbat (sp?). They say anyone would know this (anyone Jewish).

In the thread linked on pg. 1, someone who claims to have been Chaim's classmate chimes in and talks about the Rabbi lighting candles. I believe the hypothesis that the candles and such could have been done by a Rabbi after Chaim was discovered was also brought up in various places by people - I think the FBI for example would have immediately caught up on this after speaking to the adults at the school who would have known about the lit candle.

I suspect this is perhaps something that differs between branches of Judaism. Orthodox Judaism from what I understand is quite different. It may also depend on the circumstances, as from what I understood from the other thread, using a phone on the Sabbath (sp?) is also prohibited but an exception is made if it's a matter of life or death.

Maybe this amateur sleuth who helped track down little Leiby Kletzky might have some ideas in this case.
Any chance the murderer (or any he might be close to) is the same one who killed Chaim?

Snipped by me. I don't think the murderer would be the same. Levi Aron, the man who murdered Leiby Kletzky, would have been far too young in 1986. I just looked up his age and he was 35 in 2011 so he would have been about 10 years old in 1986.

The angle that it was someone who hated Jewish people only works to a certain degree... maybe it is such a person, but IDK...

It could be someone who wanted to kill a student of the school...

The lock being broken is important, I think.

What if someone told the murderer some details of the dorm? (Not knowing the murderer would use them in such a way). So, the murderer knew there was a boy on the third floor with his own room, but the murderer (or the informer) didn't know the exact room?

Snipped by me. Perhaps it could have been someone who hated Jewish people, hated the presence of the school, and as such targeted the school - then to avoid getting caught, made it seem like it could be related to the other murders in the area. If this was the case then it could confirm that it was done less out of sending a message, unless the other victims were indeed Jewish, and more out of a desire to act out that hate.

If only we could get more answers on the lock.

I've thought about that too. Maybe the 'informer' didn't even know they were informing anyone of anything, it could have come up in a very innocent conversation. Something like telling this person what life was like at the school or Chaim walking past and this person saying 'oh, that kid is really intelligent, he's one of our best students and just got his own room'. Something like that. If it was an innocent conversation like that then the person who unwittingly gave out that info may not have connected the dots because it would have seemed like such a normal conversation.

What strikes me about actually seeing the dorm is how small it is; again, makes me wonder how nobody hurt anything.

I believe some students said they heard their doors being opened and closed in the middle of the night. One of them has been reported on MSM, however in that thread of pg. 1 someone who claims to have been a student at the school at the time says more than one student in more than one room said the same thing. Like that poster pointed out, maybe it wasn't even the door at all, but noises carrying down from the hallway.

The murder would have taken place late at night so perhaps everyone was just deeply asleep. If any footsteps could have been heard, it would have been easy to put them down to being a dream, a student going to the bathroom, or a teacher patrolling the hallways. As to the murder itself IMO there were no signs of struggle so it could have been silent enough depending on the thickness of the walls.

http://hamodia.com/2013/05/28/da-reopens-baffling-tragedy-of-chaim-weiss-zl/

what about the student who saw Chaim studying in his room at 1 a.m.?

it is important whether he was in his room with the light on after sundown because he would have to leave it on until .... idk.. maybe 11/2?

maybe Chaim's room with the light is what made the murderer pick his room.

eta
this article says hallway.

Yes - what I've also read is that he was in the hallway around 1 AM and that's when he was spotted by a student or students. If other students were up then perhaps it 1 AM was still acceptable for studying, praying, or just getting ready to go to bed.

That's a good point though. Perhaps Chaim couldn't sleep or got distracted studying or reading and had a light on. However here are some possible obstacles to that theory:

- Could the blinds have been up? If so then perhaps the killer could have watched and seen only boy - then waited until he went to bed to sneak in and kill him. If the blinds were down, then I doubt this would have been the case, as it seems imprudent to break into a room without knowing who was inside. For all he knew it could have been a security guard or the cop who was supposed to be on duty that night, or two or more teachers talking.

- I believe most of what we have indicates Chaim was asleep when he was killed, as there was no sign of struggle, he was killed in his bed IIRC and the wound that killed him seems to have been very specific and I would even say precise. Unless the killer got extremely lucky... I believe Chaim was indeed asleep. However I think it's possible the light could be a key element as I said above, if the blinds were open then the killer could have watched from outside.

By the way December, thank you for all your posts! I'm still trying to make my way through all these links, they're very helpful.

http://www.jta.org/1986/11/04/archive/1000-people-attend-funeral-of-murdered-yeshiva-student

"‘HE HAD AN ACTIVE, CREATIVE MIND’

Zelikovitz, who was Weiss’s teacher last year, described the boy as "a very bright youngster, very quick. When he was my student, he was able to field any problem without thinking, able to shoot back answers. He had an active, creative mind."

Zelikovitz said Weiss was "very well-liked, mild-mannered, wouldn’t hurt a fly, always with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye." The rabbi said Weiss was interested in sports, played basketball, was "a very well-rounded, talented youngster."

Zelikovitz said that perhaps over 1,000 people crowded into the Shomrei Hadas Funeral Chapel in Boro Park, Brooklyn, for Weiss’s funeral service Sunday. He described the scene of neither sitting nor standing room"

Read more: http://www.jta.org/1986/11/04/archi...ral-of-murdered-yeshiva-student#ixzz2jP7uJoYI

IIRC, Chaim was also said to have a "sharp tongue". I wonder if he had spoken sharply to a repair person, service person, who had been in the Yeshiva at some point ? I wonder if the killer of the two elderly people was the same repair/service person ? jmo moo

The other two victims were not mentioned by name by the LE working Chaim's case. Nor was a motive mentioned for the murders of the elderly people. One thing they shared with the homicide of Chaim was that all 3 victims were in bed,presumably sleeping,when they were attacked. Also, the head injury of 1 of the elderly victims was identical to Chaim's head injury.

Since the two elderly victims were not named,or described, it is possible that they may have been Jewish. It just isn't confirmed. jmo moo

IIRC, Chaim was also said to have a "sharp tongue". I wonder if he had spoken sharply to a repair person, service person, who had been in the Yeshiva at some point ? I wonder if the killer of the two elderly people was the same repair/service person ? jmo moo

The other two victims were not mentioned by name by the LE working Chaim's case. Nor was a motive mentioned for the murders of the elderly people. One thing they shared with the homicide of Chaim was that all 3 victims were in bed,presumably sleeping,when they were attacked. Also, the head injury of 1 of the elderly victims was identical to Chaim's head injury.

Since the two elderly victims were not named,or described, it is possible that they may have been Jewish. It just isn't confirmed. jmo moo

Very logical hypothesis. Makes sense.
The fact it is stated that the school boys were targets of egg throwing speaks to the prejudice. Sounds like a hate crime should be strongly considered. MOO.

June 2013
http://www.kiryasjoel.com/who-killed-chaim-weiss/
bbm
"Det. Lt. John Azzata, commanding officer of the Nassau County PD’s homicide squad, described the scope of the case. “The purpose of this type of investigation is to look at it with fresh eyes, almost as if it just happened,” he said, in response to questions about the original investigation. “We are extremely happy with what we have in front of us. But that doesn’t mean that a fresh set of eyes can’t see different things from what they saw.”

Fred Bornhofen, of the cold-case cracking Vidocq Society, told Ami that the element of a new perspective is what he advises police departments when they approach old cases. “Pretend you don’t know anything.”

Viedt, from what I understand of Jewish customs, if Chaim's light was on in his room this would mean that it was left on from before sundown. He would not be able to turn it off without breaking with their traditions. Of course, he was very sick and it is possible that he simply forgot what day it was and turned it off anyway. But, I get the idea it really is second nature to someone like Chaim (such a good student), that I think this is unlikely.

Generally, the hallway would be where he would go. But, there is one report that he was in his room reading. There would not be enough moonlight that night.

Also, by Jewish custom (as I understand it), the window might have been open because it was opened by Chaim earlier. He would have to forego closing it (though there might be a stipulation due to him being so sick... but did he know it?). This is why it must be learned did the last person to see Chaim see him in his room or out in the hallway?

If it was in the room, then that person might recall if Chaim's window was open or closed. If it was open then he would be able to feel the cold breeze.

Which, the murder might have opened the window for that same cold breeze.

In one of the articles I linked it stated that Chaim enjoyed playing basketball outside. I assume he wasn't just shooting hoops alone.

If someone was casing out the school before that night, then they might have heard students playing basketball talking to one another about the lock or Chaim's room. Just general chit chat among kids who all know one another. But, someone sneakily lurking could put it all together.

Of course, Chaim would never verbally draw a map to his room. But, along the way it might be mentioned he had his own room and lived on the third floor.

The kids might wonder if the broken lock would be fixed soon.

This points to a more professional type of killer, yes. But, the crime has remained unsolved. I do not think the kids would not have been silent if they had very good suspicions. I think they have only bits of info and vague suspicions. The rabbis are urging them to share those. The police might be able to piece those together with what they have and get a better idea who did this.

It there were several Orthodox Jewish people in the area, there should be a temple nearby. People would see them walking to the temple for worship. (They would not drive or ride, they would walk.) The students may have been able to worship at the school, but I mean people in the community.

ETA

But, does anyone know... would it be possible the students and teachers would also walk to the temple? They would attract attention.. as they would all be dressed exactly alike and about the same age (the students).

I really like the idea of looking at this case with "fresh eyes". Let me attempt to do that, and sometimes I do that with these threads. I will read the first post that generally has limited details, and I will post without reading additional opinions, revelations, etc.

In this case, keeping it simple, it seems fairly clear. You have an elite school with a group of privileged jewish kids smack dab in an area where they have been targeted to the point of having eggs thrown at them. This young man was in a room by himself which seems to indicate an additional level of status. These kids were elite, with tremendous promise, and Jewish. This is a crime against status, and yes, a hate crime. It was Halloween, and by virtue of the date alone, tends to amplify the unbalanced nature of borderline types.
The Perp had to know this was a single occupancy room, and would only know that as an insider. This murder had the ear marks of *military precision*. Since there was no sound, I conclude that mercifully, Chaim passed from this earth while asleep. The nature of the attack (the multiple wounds) suggest red hot hatred and rage. Impulses like this could not be contained indefinitely. This had happened before, or again after Chaim. This was probably someone who had previously killed and mutilated animals.
If the killer was not a staff member or student of the school, then it is my reasoning to believe they were someone who supported the school in some way, knowing the layout well. Someone who came to paint, to fix furnaces, to exterminate....(a chilling use of a word). Exterminate....like Hitler. What a horrid thought, but not from the realm of possibility.
Again, military precision comes to mind. This was someone who had military service I theorize.

Those are my "fresh eyes" on this case. This was a hate crime. It was about being young, privileged, full of promise, and yes....Jewish. The Perp was most likely of a descent that was well known for their hatred of Jews, late middle age, had military service, and was working blue collar supporting repairs at the school in some fashion.
Obviously, this is only my speculation.

One thing is for sure. Someone out there has been holding the burden of knowledge of this heinous crime in their conscious for a very long time. The time has come for them to unburden themselves by doing the right thing and calling the authorities. They can even do it anonymously. It is time. God give them the will and strength to do so.

Some of the links are saying a heavy type of knife rather than a hatchet. I am not certain why they aren't saying hatchet all of a sudden if it was or why it got started as being a hatchet if it wasn't...

I'm just mentioning it since more than one of the links says that and maybe that is what police are going with now as the murder weapon?

I know some said Chaim had a "sharp tongue", but this seems to be largely in regard to classroom debates. I don't know if he would be rude to a repair person. Now, if the repair person was a MURDERER then it is pretty easy to offend a murderer. Chaim could have coughed (ETA, cough... he had bronchitis, so that's why that example) and the murderer could have decided to be mad about that. Mooooo

But, that aside, I don't know if Chaim would have interacted much with someone who was only there for a brief repair. It seems he would probably be in classes during the time such a person would be doing their job. If I was an administrator at a school, I know I would try to keep repair people and students from crossing paths.. it's just better for both groups.

However, this is a school not a prison.. I wonder what places were nearby that the boys were allowed to go? There should be a store or a restaurant or an arcade (it was the 80s) or something. They might have to go in groups under the supervision of a teacher, but surely they went a few places just to let the kids have fun. I know they are religious students (Chaim wanted to be a rabbi), but they're still kids.

At this point I am considering that more than one person may be the culprit.
One person `throws the first stone`so to speak, and the others follow with more blows.
A vile impulsive group act, to cut down to size,the one perceived to rise above the others with his fine mind, `sharp tongue`and the only single room.
Did Chaim give a barb to someone who was already overwhelmed and humiliated by the previous night`s ègging, did it start as a fight, taking advantage of Chaim`s weakened sick state, one powerful blow to his sharp brain leading to a frenzied attack by several.
Was the meticulous, organized cleanup the work of disciplined, precise scholars and the murder, that of hormone driven, youth and the coverup the result of team mentality.
Maybe those who did not hear a thing, were the ones making the noise.

jmo, subject to change, again and again.

Perhaps the LE were not so much " outsmarted" but rather,were tip- toeing so as not to be accused of "religious insensitivity"

Repost from 1989
bbm.
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/21/n...that-piqued-public-interest.html?pagewanted=2

"The victim's father, Anton Weiss of Staten Island, eventually grew disenchanted with how the Nassau police were handling the case. He said he felt that the police had been ''outsmarted,'' and he requested the naming of a special prosecutor. That was never done. ''There was very little to find in the way of leads,'' Lieutenant Nolan said. ''We were dealing with a group that holds very different mores. But eventually, we were able to interview everyone in the school, as well as all past and present employees.

''We couldn't even find out why Chaim was killed. To this day, we can't positively state whether it was from inside or outside of the school.''

Generally, the hallway would be where he would go. But, there is one report that he was in his room reading. There would not be enough moonlight that night.

Also, by Jewish custom (as I understand it), the window might have been open because it was opened by Chaim earlier. He would have to forego closing it (though there might be a stipulation due to him being so sick... but did he know it?). This is why it must be learned did the last person to see Chaim see him in his room or out in the hallway?

Snipped.

I believed the witnesses saw him in the hallway though that's a good point - if it was in his room they could tell more about whether was open or not if they noticed that.

I believe it's been speculated that someone, either the killer or a LE agent with imperfect knowledge of Jewish customs may have opened the window as part of an attempt at death rites, or that the killer opened it to throw out something he'd forgotten or just to throw off anyone who found the crime scene.

I wonder if there were blinds in his room however, even if the light was on all night, it could have been harder to tell he was alone if they were down. Also if the light was on, the murderer must have switched it off afterwards OR whoever found the body. In the latter case I think it would have been mentioned but there's already so much lack of available info on this case, maybe someone mentioned it being on in the morning.

If someone was casing out the school before that night, then they might have heard students playing basketball talking to one another about the lock or Chaim's room. Just general chit chat among kids who all know one another. But, someone sneakily lurking could put it all together.

Of course, Chaim would never verbally draw a map to his room. But, along the way it might be mentioned he had his own room and lived on the third floor.

The kids might wonder if the broken lock would be fixed soon.

That's a good theory... maybe just the students being outside, etc. and discussing it. As I've said before I think that someone overhearing or being innocently told the general info that Chaim had his own room on the third floor could have done it, they wouldn't have all the details on the dorm or not know them by heart, but would know that Chaim was one of the two only students who had their own rooms.

As to the broken lock, in the other thread someone said the staff didn't know about the lock. Assuming it's true, for the kids to wonder then they knew but didn't know the staff didn't know - which sounds odd, I think they would have told the staff since it seems the sort of environment where kids wouldn't be inclined to lie about it or hide it from them at all, especially with Halloween coming up and worrying them to the point of wondering where the designated cop was.

I think nobody knew about the lock if the staff didn't know. I think that the staff being unaware makes sense - I doubt they would have allowed the lock to remain broken, especially on a night they anticipated could be a problem. Which is why I wonder about what exactly was wrong with the lock and if the killer could have been the one to break it.

It there were several Orthodox Jewish people in the area, there should be a temple nearby. People would see them walking to the temple for worship. (They would not drive or ride, they would walk.) The students may have been able to worship at the school, but I mean people in the community.

ETA

But, does anyone know... would it be possible the students and teachers would also walk to the temple? They would attract attention.. as they would all be dressed exactly alike and about the same age (the students).

Good point about the temple.

As to the kids walking to the temple, I don't know but I assume the school would have its own, kind of how like Catholic boarding schools often have their own church in the premises. It seems like if it was allowed, then it would have a temple on campus, as it would have been easier - going anywhere with a group of teenagers and trying to get them to walk quickly and not get distracted or lag behind sounds tough. ;)

I also think everyone in the community was aware of the school already, seeing the kids walk to a nearby temple would have only added to it, but not strictly necessary for an anti-semitic murder.

Some of the links are saying a heavy type of knife rather than a hatchet. I am not certain why they aren't saying hatchet all of a sudden if it was or why it got started as being a hatchet if it wasn't...

I'm just mentioning it since more than one of the links says that and maybe that is what police are going with now as the murder weapon?

The murder weapon wasn't found so I think the media as well as LE can only make educated guesses based on the type of wounds.

However, this is a school not a prison.. I wonder what places were nearby that the boys were allowed to go? There should be a store or a restaurant or an arcade (it was the 80s) or something. They might have to go in groups under the supervision of a teacher, but surely they went a few places just to let the kids have fun. I know they are religious students (Chaim wanted to be a rabbi), but they're still kids.

The rest of your comment makes sense and I don't have anything to add to it so snipped it. However, the thread linked on pg. 1 is very helpful and two people chime in about Yeshiva life. One of them is unrelated to this case and the other one says he was a classmate of Chaim's. According to both of them, life in a school of this type would be quite sheltered. Going from the info on there I don't think the kids would have been allowed out of campus on their own. I know this is true in a lot of other boarding schools, some let kids (depending on their age, usually) go out after class if they respect a curfew while others don't let kids out of campus without a specific special request. I doubt they would have been taken off-campus for fun, I can more easily see in-school events like get-togethers and playing games in a common room, like a family's evening in. :twocents: If they met the murderer off-campus I think a field trip would be more likely.

However I don't think a supervising teacher would let the kids speak to strangers outside of campus.

---

Someone talked about eggs being thrown at students, that sounds really bad... I wonder, what was the police's reaction to it? Why didn't a cop guard the building that night - even if it wasn't directly connected to the murder, the individual cop could be anti-semitic OR it could show that the non-Jewish community in the area didn't care much about keeping these kids safe.

If it was within the local town, I think someone knows more than they're saying. I find it hard to believe that an anti-semitic murderer among other anti-semitic people wouldn't brag.

All my :twocents:, :moo:, and if I posts were snipped just for space reasons.

Snipped.

I believed the witnesses saw him in the hallway though that's a good point - if it was in his room they could tell more about whether was open or not if they noticed that.

I believe it's been speculated that someone, either the killer or a LE agent with imperfect knowledge of Jewish customs may have opened the window as part of an attempt at death rites, or that the killer opened it to throw out something he'd forgotten or just to throw off anyone who found the crime scene.

I wonder if there were blinds in his room however, even if the light was on all night, it could have been harder to tell he was alone if they were down. Also if the light was on, the murderer must have switched it off afterwards OR whoever found the body. In the latter case I think it would have been mentioned but there's already so much lack of available info on this case, maybe someone mentioned it being on in the morning.

That's a good theory... maybe just the students being outside, etc. and discussing it. As I've said before I think that someone overhearing or being innocently told the general info that Chaim had his own room on the third floor could have done it, they wouldn't have all the details on the dorm or not know them by heart, but would know that Chaim was one of the two only students who had their own rooms.

As to the broken lock, in the other thread someone said the staff didn't know about the lock. Assuming it's true, for the kids to wonder then they knew but didn't know the staff didn't know - which sounds odd, I think they would have told the staff since it seems the sort of environment where kids wouldn't be inclined to lie about it or hide it from them at all, especially with Halloween coming up and worrying them to the point of wondering where the designated cop was.

I think nobody knew about the lock if the staff didn't know. I think that the staff being unaware makes sense - I doubt they would have allowed the lock to remain broken, especially on a night they anticipated could be a problem. Which is why I wonder about what exactly was wrong with the lock and if the killer could have been the one to break it.

Good point about the temple.

As to the kids walking to the temple, I don't know but I assume the school would have its own, kind of how like Catholic boarding schools often have their own church in the premises. It seems like if it was allowed, then it would have a temple on campus, as it would have been easier - going anywhere with a group of teenagers and trying to get them to walk quickly and not get distracted or lag behind sounds tough. ;)

I also think everyone in the community was aware of the school already, seeing the kids walk to a nearby temple would have only added to it, but not strictly necessary for an anti-semitic murder.

The murder weapon wasn't found so I think the media as well as LE can only make educated guesses based on the type of wounds.

The rest of your comment makes sense and I don't have anything to add to it so snipped it. However, the thread linked on pg. 1 is very helpful and two people chime in about Yeshiva life. One of them is unrelated to this case and the other one says he was a classmate of Chaim's. According to both of them, life in a school of this type would be quite sheltered. Going from the info on there I don't think the kids would have been allowed out of campus on their own. I know this is true in a lot of other boarding schools, some let kids (depending on their age, usually) go out after class if they respect a curfew while others don't let kids out of campus without a specific special request. I doubt they would have been taken off-campus for fun, I can more easily see in-school events like get-togethers and playing games in a common room, like a family's evening in. :twocents: If they met the murderer off-campus I think a field trip would be more likely.

However I don't think a supervising teacher would let the kids speak to strangers outside of campus.

---

Someone talked about eggs being thrown at students, that sounds really bad... I wonder, what was the police's reaction to it? Why didn't a cop guard the building that night - even if it wasn't directly connected to the murder, the individual cop could be anti-semitic OR it could show that the non-Jewish community in the area didn't care much about keeping these kids safe.

If it was within the local town, I think someone knows more than they're saying. I find it hard to believe that an anti-semitic murderer among other anti-semitic people wouldn't brag.

All my :twocents:, :moo:, and if I posts were snipped just for space reasons.

There were blinds in Chaim's room. They were 'moved aside'. Some people thought that related to a death ritual (i.d.k., although operating blinds might be work while simply moving them aside might not be work and no work could be done by tradition). at first I thought it was to get outside light into the room. But, the moon was nearly dark and the street lights might not shine enough to help much.

Surely a LE officer would note his actions at a crime scene? They would need the lights on to examine the scene. And, in a school full or rabbis, wouldn't need to worry about personally doing preparations for Chaim's death rites.

I believe that, yes, there would be a temple at school. However, I was just thinking they might go to the other one now and then to hear a specific rabbi. Especially around holidays. But, maybe not.

As for leaving campus, I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes small groups went out with a teacher. Maybe on days where it was permitted to drive. I do not believe the students would be out long enough to get into a long discourse with locals. But, I think they would be permitted to speak to do whatever they came to do (order food, for example). Or say hello if they saw a person they knew. (Some might have family close by.)

But, overall, I think they would be in the school and on the school's grounds. I don't know if they could venture off campus alone. I would guess not. They might not even have been allowed on grounds alone.

I got the impression Chaim played ball on school property.

wait... eggs/halloween... some people egg stuff for halloween. our house got egged one year. that year, everyone got egged. and everyone got mad and it stopped.

but, did the egging have to do also with halloween? (i hate egging, btw.)

DId the school have a wood furnace/incinerator at that time? Perhaps the bloody clothing was disposed of there?

I also wondered about holes/irregularities in the building and if there were any crawlspaces or things of that nature. I would think that if someone in town came across a bloody hatchet or bloody clothing after knowing that there had been a murder that they would contact the authorities. Also, real blood has a smell that imitation Halloween blood does not have, so even on Halloween night it might be noticeable.

Maybe it is just me, but honestly, I have a bit of a problem with the theory that the person who murdered young Mr. Weiss because they didn't like Jewish people. They are putting themselves at a lot of risk to sneak into a building full of people, commit murder and leave the building without getting caught. I would imagine if someone was looking to murder someone just because they were a particular type of person, they would target someone living in a much less crowded dwelling. I think there must have been something about Mr. Weiss specifically that made the murderer angry (whether it was something real or something imagined).

Surely a LE officer would note his actions at a crime scene? They would need the lights on to examine the scene. And, in a school full or rabbis, wouldn't need to worry about personally doing preparations for Chaim's death rites.

<...>

But, I think they would be permitted to speak to do whatever they came to do (order food, for example). Or say hello if they saw a person they knew. (Some might have family close by.)

<...>

but, did the egging have to do also with halloween? (i hate egging, btw.)

Snipped by me for space reasons.

Thank you for the info about the blinds. That makes sense. Perhaps if simply pulling them aside wasn't work, then they could have been pulled down when Chaim was alive inside the room. Then the people who found him, from what I understand at first they thought he could be alive. The staff member who went to wake him up could have thought he was refusing to wake up (being a teenager and all) and pulled the blinds aside to wake him up with the light, or if the staff member noticed he was injured he could have pulled the blinds to better see what kind of injuries and try to help.

Regarding the LE officer I'm referring to a possibility that was raised, I think in the thread linked on pg 1. I think that maybe an officer's actions could have been noted but simply not shared with the public and the death rites stuff being a matter of speculation.

In the thread linked on pg 1, some details on life at that type of school and that school specifically, and also knowledge of death rites and whether the way Chaim's body was set up had to do with that, is discussed by the posters with Yeshiva experience. I think it clarifies a lot of things including where I was coming from with what I remarked in my previous post.

I think if they were just saying hello or ordering food, they just wouldn't share info about the school with a stranger. I can't think of any times I've given out details about what my living situation was like or what things were like at my school while making small talk. The most I can imagine is them just saying which school they attended which could have just been obvious. IMO assuming Chaim or one of his friends told a shopkeeper or waiter about Chaim having his own room on the third floor would be a bit of a stretch especially considering how the school was a relatively closed community.

However, in a scenario where someone overheard that from Chaim or his friends, then it expands the pool of possible perps from a peeping tom or someone who would have been on the school grounds to someone who could have been wherever they were.

I don't think them just going out to eat would have been alerted someone to their existence unless it was an outsider or newcomer. From what I understand people in the area knew the school existed so they would already know.

I guess it's possible the egging was just a harmless Halloween prank, some bored kids see a big building and decide to egg it. However it could have been motivated by hatred as well, I remember some of my friends who TP'd houses on Halloween picked out the houses of people they disliked.

:twocents:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back