NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told a few day's ago that I should want until President Trump's appearance in court where the charges against him would be made public before weighing the merits of this case. The DA didn't let the defendant know all of the crimes he's accused of which I find to be strange. Why?

Now I have to wait some more? JMO.

Agreed.

I think DA did present the charges. Just not the details, facts, and legal argument (the merits) behind/supporting the charges.

Why?

To frustrate you, me and literally everyone, it seems. ;)

I was told a few day's ago that I should want until President Trump's appearance in court where the charges against him would be made public before weighing the merits of this case. The DA didn't let the defendant know all of the crimes he's accused of which I find to be strange. Why?

Now I have to wait some more? JMO.

Do you know that for a fact? As I would assume all the documents regarding the charges were given to the defendant's attorneys. I believe this is the law in NY (and most places).

What the prosecution seems to be doing is handling this in a way (Grand Jury rather than Arrest Affidavit, etc; no detailed examination of the charges in open court) that allows the defendant more privacy and leniency than most criminal defendants might expect. I don't think the Judge is way out of line in permitting this, considering the situation and that so far, none of the crimes alleged are violent crimes.

But how do you know that Trump and his attorneys know nothing about the charges? Wouldn't at least one of his attorneys attended the Grand Jury hearing? Or are you saying that Trump is unlikely to have paid his attorneys to do this? It's a major violation of US law to refuse to let the defense know the charges, I just think they've kept the charges sealed (and I'm surprised there is no gag order).

Anyway - where did you read that Trump's attorneys were not given the full set of legal documents? Trump has no separate way of approaching the court at this time, unless he represents himself, which is of course not going to be a thing.

IMO.

When and where were the business records falsified and by whom?
Guessing that it was at Trump Tower and done by Wesselberg sp? Probably during the time that Cohen was receiving checks in payback for the 130 thousand that he paid to Stormy Daniels. As I said, just guessing. jmo

Agreed.

I think DA did present the charges. Just not the details, facts, and legal argument (the merits) behind/supporting the charges.

Why?

To frustrate you, me and literally everyone, it seems. ;)
I don't need the details or any legal arguments. I would just like to know what the secondary felony was. It's very perplexing that the DA is withholding that.

Yes, it's hard to be patient. JMO.

Bring out the violins!

GOP Senator Lindsey Graham fought back tears while begging Fox News viewers to donate money to Donald Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign following his arrest.

During an emotional appearance on Sean Hannity’s eponymous program Hannity on Tuesday night, the South Carolina senator begged viewers to donate money to Trump’s campaign to ensure the United States does “not become a banana republic.”

“We got one last chance here to straighten this out,” Graham said in an appearance on “Hannity,” adding, “2024 is the most important election in my lifetime. America is literally at stake as we know it.”

“Please help President Trump,” he continued. “If you can afford 5 or 10 bucks, if you can’t afford a dollar, fine. Just pray. Make sure you vote as early as you can in your state. Don’t risk anything anymore. Vote as soon as you can. Pray for this country, pray for this president, and if you got any money to give, give it.”

Video:

imo, he is laughably absurd. It is Trump--with a lot of help from Senator Graham and other cult followers --who tried to turn our country into a banana republic.

Do you know that for a fact? As I would assume all the documents regarding the charges were given to the defendant's attorneys. I believe this is the law in NY (and most places).

What the prosecution seems to be doing is handling this in a way (Grand Jury rather than Arrest Affidavit, etc; no detailed examination of the charges in open court) that allows the defendant more privacy and leniency than most criminal defendants might expect. I don't think the Judge is way out of line in permitting this, considering the situation and that so far, none of the crimes alleged are violent crimes.

But how do you know that Trump and his attorneys know nothing about the charges? Wouldn't at least one of his attorneys attended the Grand Jury hearing? Or are you saying that Trump is unlikely to have paid his attorneys to do this? It's a major violation of US law to refuse to let the defense know the charges, I just think they've kept the charges sealed (and I'm surprised there is no gag order).

Anyway - where did you read that Trump's attorneys were not given the full set of legal documents? Trump has no separate way of approaching the court at this time, unless he represents himself, which is of course not going to be a thing.

IMO.
They read the charges. They didn't release the secondary crime that allowed the DA to elevate the misdemeanors to felonies. JMO.

The former president’s actions rose to the level of felonies, Bragg said in court documents, because they were made to further additional violations of the law. However, he only broadly suggested what those additional acts could be.

They read the charges. They didn't release the secondary crime that allowed the DA to elevate the misdemeanors to felonies. JMO.

Bragg said at the news conference that under NY law, he wasn't required to elaborate further.

Bragg said at the news conference that under NY law, he wasn't required to elaborate further.
Yes, I know, I mentioned above that it appears to be legal that he's withholding that information. I just would like to know why.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Bragg withheld it because he doesn't want it discussed by the media. He's trying to ensure a fair trial.
He can't keep it secret for long. It's called discovery.

How would making public the underlying felony create an unfair trial? JMO.

JMO:

I took from Cy Vance's comments last week that for his successor, more facts came in after Vance had put the case aside.

DA Bragg stated something similar. However, under Bragg, some new info revealed itself and convinced Bragg to put this case file back on his desk and re-evaluate.

In all likelihood, one important piece of info was that tax return(s) that became accessible finally - after many appeals.

Are NYS tax law misdemeanors the underlying crime to support the felony charges?
Methinks yes.

Next, what about NYS conspiracy law? Is conspiracy one of the underlying misdemeanors here?
(NYS Penal Law, Section 105.00) New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN § 105.00 | FindLaw

In New York State, conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is a criminal offense that is punishable by imprisonment for up to one year, a fine, or both.

MOO

He can't keep it secret for long. It's called discovery.

How would making public the underlying felony create an unfair trial? JMO.
Discovery is given to the defense, not the public.

An unfair trial is the attempt by Trump <modsnip> to demonize DA Bragg in the court of public opinion in order to influence the jury. The Judge issued a warning to Trump yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need the details or any legal arguments. I would just like to know what the secondary felony was. It's very perplexing that the DA is withholding that.

Yes, it's hard to be patient. JMO.
yup, I took a couple of guesses above but all guesses come with a grain of salt.

JMO:

I took from Cy Vance's comments last week that for his successor, more facts came in after Vance had put the case aside.

DA Bragg stated something similar. However, under Bragg, some new info revealed itself and convinced Bragg to put this case file back on his desk and re-evaluate.

In all likelihood, one important piece of info was that tax return(s) that became accessible finally - after many appeals.

Are NYS tax law misdemeanors the underlying crime to support the felony charges?
Methinks yes.

Next, what about NYS conspiracy law? Is conspiracy one of the underlying misdemeanors here?
(NYS Penal Law, Section 105.00) New York Consolidated Laws, Penal Law - PEN § 105.00 | FindLaw

In New York State, conspiracy to commit a misdemeanor is a criminal offense that is punishable by imprisonment for up to one year, a fine, or both.

MOO
I think it is tied to the Dec. release of Trump's federal tax returns and the accompanying documentation. Tax fraud is a Class E Felony.

That's true but once served with a demand for a bill of particulars he will have 30 days to reply. We may know more in about a month assuming Trumps lawyers serve that demand this week. MOO
I think because Trump can't seem to control his constant outbursts of insults, in a month there will be a gag order.

That's true but once served with a demand for a bill of particulars he will have 30 days to reply. We may know more in about a month assuming Trumps lawyers serve that demand this week. MOO
Thanks for this. Judge Jeanine mentioned this on "The Five" yesterday. DA Bragg will have to cough it up by then. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1