NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trump's indictment is no 'third world' affair

Jonathan Allen
Trump loves to say his indictment is a sign that the U.S. is becoming a "third world country."

His point is that political opposition leaders are sometimes jailed on trumped-up charges in countries that don't respect the rule of law. Sometimes they are captured and imprisoned — or worse — without trial. Often, they are denied the ability to communicate effectively with their supporters.

But as anyone who turned on a television Monday could see, Trump arrived in New York by private jet. He is expected to appear voluntarily for a public arraignment in a Manhattan courthouse Tuesday and return home to the Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Fla., that night. He has said he will give a speech upon his return, and major news organizations are expected to cover it.

Whatever the verdict in the Trump case, he is being given every consideration afforded to the accused in a nation of laws — most important, the presumption of innocence and a jury trial. That hardly puts the U.S. in a category with banana republics and "third world" countries.

The only felony charge relies on proving the intent, and even then it isn’t something that is under the jurisdiction of a state court. I only mentioned Clinton because it was the same thing.

Not the same thing.

If President Trump paid Stormy Daniels with campaign funds would he have been in the clear and not broken any laws?

Trump is in his limo now and on the road. In case you were wondering what color tie he would be wearing, he chose a red tie. I repeat, he is wearing a red tie.
Oh nice! He was wearing a blue suit too. And he didn’t come tumbling out of the plane.

Here’s a link.

Last edited:
I don't really put much stock into polls though, to be honest. It all depends on who the audience is.

FOX, CNN, MSNBC, Daily Wire and 10 others could all put the exact same poll out there, and the numbers (depending on the questions) would most certainly reflect completely different percentages, simply based on the audience.

jmo
It is a meaningless poll. The majority of Americans are against corrupt politicians no matter the political party.

We the people have a constitutional right to protest, especially our government.
However, I am uncomfortable with a government figure, a POTUS or an ex POTUS, calling on people to protest in his behalf and the inclusion of violent rhetoric like “death and destruction could come down on the United States if I am indicted”. That’s banana republic stuff.
He’s using his incredible power and influence to lead people which is much different than a grassroots protest by the people.
Agreed. I also feel like Tucker Carlson's comments about giving up the AR-15 go along this line.

Even the poll posted here earlier via CNN, showed that something like 71% of the pollsters agreed that this is entirely politically motivated. And this coming from people that (for the most part) have a severely unfavorable view of Trump.

This includes myself. If Trump wasn't planning to run in 2024, I don't honestly think any of this would be happening.

jmo

ETA: For more accurate info on that poll located here DocumentCloud

TABLE 005 Question 5 5. How big a role, if at all, do you think politics played in the decision to indict Trump?
Base: Total Respondents

The actual response was on average, 76% said yes, politics played a role.

Well, since he appears to be accused of misuse of campaign funds, of course politics played a role. The laws and rules of politics are at the core of the indictments, it would seem.

IMO. If you are a political figure, raising money for campaigns, and then break the rules or laws of campaign funding in any jurisdiction, your resulting legal case is related to politics, IMHO.

If President Trump paid Stormy Daniels with campaign funds would he have been in the clear and not broken any laws?
It's my understanding paying SD via campaign funds would violate campaign finance law.
(Because it's a personal expense.)

We don't know if that's is one of the charges; maybe we'll know tomorrow.

edited to add:
Also, paying SD via Trump company funds and processing it as a biz expense - would cause a similar problem w/ tax law.

It's my understanding paying SD via campaign funds would violate campaign finance law.
(Because it's a personal expense.)

We don't know if that's is one of the charges; maybe we'll know tomorrow.

edited to add:
Also, paying SD via Trump company funds and processing it as a biz expense - would cause a similar problem w/ tax law.
So your saying that paying Stormy Daniels was illegal. Okay, thanks.

But that's a misdemeanor. Right? What is the statue of limitations for a misdemeanor?

Campaign expenses are tax deductible. Will we learn tomorrow that T made a tax claim for hush money expenses? No matter how much folks support T, I can't imagine that many people would approve.

Donald Trump has the support of at least one world leader as he prepares to be arraigned on criminal charges, none other than Hungary’s authoritarian prime minister Viktor Orbán.

The hard right politician is the only one we know of to publicly tweet his backing, telling Trump on Monday to “keep on fighting” and that “we are with you”.

Orbán does not specify who the “we” is.

He also has the support of El Salvador's president, Nayib Bukele.

China is watching with interest.

In Emirates, their influential commentator says "Trump’s prosecution showed that no one in the United States is above the law and was a sign of the strength of the American system."

Europe watches, due to the possibility that they might have to deal with DT again, with a former British ambassador to the US saying "“Trump is a phenomenon, but no longer unique,” “He has spawned a whole generation of mini-Trumps and Trump-lites.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1