NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A doorman with a false story
  • Pecker is alleged to have paid $30,000 to a former Trump Tower doorman to suppress a story he planned to tell regarding a child Trump allegedly fathered out of wedlock; the story was ultimately judged to not be true, but Cohen is said to have "instructed" Pecker not to release the man from their agreement until after the election

I think the 'conspiracy' angle is baked into the felony component of the charges. Because to upgrade the charges from misdemeanor, the crimes committed have to have been in service of concealing or committing a second crime. I think they are going to allege the second crime is the campaign finance violations, of the "gift in kind" variety. They are going to be wanting to prove that these falsifications were to aid him in his election bid, to suppress information that might be negative to his campaign.

There are already people who have testified to this: Michael Cohen and David Pecker. There are already people who have been convicted of crimes that are related to or adjacent to these incidents. That's why the DA's office is confident they can prove intent.

But we will have to wait until Dec to see how the case is progressing. I think there's a deadline for August for some pre-trial motions. Expect those to be motions to dismiss etc. Standard fare from the defense.

Trump 'frustrated and upset' - lawyers told hearing​

Kayla Epstein
Reporting from the courthouse

I watched the hour-long hearing unfold in the Lower Manhattan courtroom earlier.

In response to the prosecution saying that President Trump had been making inflammatory statements, his lawyers responded that he was frustrated and upset with the case, which he believed to represent a "great injustice".

The judge responded by telling the defence attorneys: “I don’t share your view that certain rhetoric and certain language is justified by frustration”.

Notably the judge said that his warning about further rhetoric was a request and not an order. But he added that he would have to take “a closer look if this issue is raised again”. This was clearly a warning to Trump and his legal team to be mindful about what he says now.

Of course, we're expecting a speech in just a few hours at the ex-president's Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida.

“It’s not a good day — I don’t expect this to happen in this country,” lawyer Todd Blanche said outside the Manhattan Criminal Court after the 45-minute proceedings.

“The indictment itself is boilerplate. It’s really disappointing. It’s sad and we’ll fight it,” he continued.

Firebrand attorney Joe Tacopina doubled down on Blanche’s stance, and scoffed that the charges against Trump, 76, allege that he paid *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels to aid and abet “another crime, but [this indictment] doesn’t name another crime.”

“[The indictment] has no facts in it,” he insisted.

When pressed on Trump’s response to the charges — namely in rants on social media — Blanche said “his reaction is exactly what would happen if it happened to anyone else … he’s frustrated, he’s upset. But I’ll tell you what, he’s motivated.”

Let's hope Trump will be mindful of what he says publicly when delivering said speech or posting on Truth Social.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him claiming he's innocent, frustrated, believes there's an injustice etc. That's fine. It's when that rhetoric starts going on about fighting, destruction, taking back the country, or painting targets on LEO or judges or DAs or other officials who are simply doing the jobs they are paid to do, that's when it becomes unacceptable and possibly actionable.

Releasing social media photos of a judge's daughter (not a public figure), for example, is - in my opinion - targeted harassment and an attempt to intimidate the judge. In my opinion.

“It’s not a good day — I don’t expect this to happen in this country,” lawyer Todd Blanche said outside the Manhattan Criminal Court after the 45-minute proceedings.

“The indictment itself is boilerplate. It’s really disappointing. It’s sad and we’ll fight it,” he continued.

Firebrand attorney Joe Tacopina doubled down on Blanche’s stance, and scoffed that the charges against Trump, 76, allege that he paid *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels to aid and abet “another crime, but [this indictment] doesn’t name another crime.”

“[The indictment] has no facts in it,” he insisted.

When pressed on Trump’s response to the charges — namely in rants on social media — Blanche said “his reaction is exactly what would happen if it happened to anyone else … he’s frustrated, he’s upset. But I’ll tell you what, he’s motivated.”

Bragg said at his press conference that NY Law doesn't require him to provide more details beyond the indictment.

In the courtroom: Trump's social media posts mentioned​

Kayla Epstein
Reporting from the courthouse

At one point the judge reminded the former president- respectfully but also firmly - that if he or any defendant behaved in an unruly or disruptive manner, they might lose the right to be present at their trial.

At another point, as they were making their arguments, prosecutors mentioned that that the defendant - Donald Trump - "has made threatening posts on social media”.

They referenced social media posts from Trump including one that warned of potential "death and destruction" if he faced criminal charges.

The prosecution said they were of concern in these proceedings.

Catch and kill
The contract appears to have been signed on Nov. 15, 2015, and states that AMI has exclusive rights to Sajudin's story but does not mention the details of the story itself beyond saying, "Source shall provide AMI with information regarding Donald Trump's illegitimate child..."
Sajudin told CNN about the alleged relationship in a statement: "Today I awoke to learn that a confidential agreement that I had with AMI (The National Enquirer) with regard to a story about President Trump was leaked to the press. I can confirm that while working at Trump World Tower I was instructed not to criticize President Trump's former housekeeper due to a prior relationship she had with President Trump, which produced a child."
Dino Sajudin’s story of an out-of-wedlock Trump child raises even more of those questions, as well as the question of just how many payoff deals Trump or allied institutions like AMI have made. In Michael Wolff’s explosive book on the Trump White House, Fire and Fury, former campaign chair turned White House chief strategist Steve Bannon is quoted as saying of Trump’s personal lawyer Marc Kasowitz, “Kasowitz on the campaign — what did we have, a hundred women? Kasowitz took care of all of them.”
Trump’s personal attorney Michael Cohen says he paid *advertiser censored* actress Stormy Daniels $130,000 to not tell the story of a tryst she says she had with Trump back in 2006; Trump denies knowledge of the payment, but the question of whose money was used remains open — and now potentially under federal investigation.

AMI also, in August 2016, paid $150,000 to Karen McDougal, who also says she had an affair with Trump, in exchange for her story, which it also buried. AMI itself appears to have made that payment, but when the FBI raided Cohen’s law offices, reports emerged suggesting that agents were specifically looking for records on the Daniels and McDougal payoffs. That raises obvious questions about who actually funded those payments.

Catch and kill

It is amazing to me that he continues to spend other people's money for legal issues. I am not sure what will happen if he gets indicted in GA for the election issues.

From https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/04/04/nyregion/trump-arrest-arraignment

As Donald J. Trump prepares to mount a legal defense in the first criminal trial a former American president has ever faced, it is not clear who will foot the legal bills: the former president or his political donors.

Last year, he spent roughly $10 million from his political action committee, Save America, on his own legal fees, federal election filings show. Mr. Trump, the front-runner in the early days of the campaign for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, was arraigned on Tuesday in Manhattan on 34 felony charges. He pleaded not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soloinsight