NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this on twitter:

#AprilTheGiraffe update: AAP says they can’t confirm active labor right now. There have been significant changes. Vet will remain on site.

Maybe today's the day!

They just posted on their official facebook page an update saying the same thing..

From https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/

(quote)

"** To curb the significant public inquiryApprox 12:45 pm EST today staff began noting and documenting significant changes.
The vet was called and has been on site since. Another visit will be made in a few hours.
Staff is taking precautions, with many members remaining onsite this evening through the blizzard."

I did not realize the zoo is not even open yet!!

[FONT=&quot][h=2]Travel dates[/h]Arrival
ico_calendar.gif
Monday

Departure
ico_calendar.gif
Tuesday

1 Night Stay
Use flexible dates

[h=2]Hilton Honors Rewards[/h]
[h=2]Number of Rooms and Guests[/h]
RoomsAdults (18+)Children(0-17)
Rooms 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26+ Adults in Room 1 1 2 3 4 Children in Room 1 0 1 2 3 4

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][h=2]Special Accounts and Rates (optional)[/h] GIRAFFE%20PACK%20access
Group Code:
Corporate Account: Remember me
Hilton Honors Points
AAA Rate *
AARP Rate *
Senior Rate *
Government / Military Rates *

[/FONT]

[h=2]STAY & PLAY![/h][h=4]THE EXCLUSIVE APRIL THE GIRAFFE OVERNIGHT PACKAGE![/h]

The basic thing I have learned is until water/hoof not much happening

I did not realize the zoo is not even open yet!!

[FONT=&amp]Travel dates

Arrival
ico_calendar.gif
Monday

Departure
ico_calendar.gif
Tuesday

1 Night Stay
Use flexible dates

Hilton Honors Rewards

Number of Rooms and Guests

RoomsAdults (18+)Children(0-17)
Rooms 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26+Adults in Room 1 1 2 3 4Children in Room 1 0 1 2 3 4

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Special Accounts and Rates (optional)

GIRAFFE%20PACK%20access
Group Code:
Corporate Account: Remember me
Hilton Honors Points
AAA Rate *
AARP Rate *
Senior Rate *
Government / Military Rates *

[/FONT]

STAY & PLAY!

THE EXCLUSIVE APRIL THE GIRAFFE OVERNIGHT PACKAGE!

Oy, great free advertising.

ETA
Last night DH asked about cesarean birth.

I can't help but notice that she is- how to say this?- thoroughly emptying her bowels, just like pregnant women tend to do before/during labor (don't ask me how I know!) :blushing:

Anyway, every time she poops, I have a mini heart attack. ARE THOSE LITTLE HOO- oh, nope, just more poop.

O/T here also, but I volunteered about 1,000 hours at our zoo when I was a teen. It was a really amazing experience, I learned a lot and have some fond memories. There were very few restrictions on what we could and couldn't do at the time. A few of my favorites are having the back of my shirt munched by a guanaco, falling into the monkey moat when I was cleaning it, and feeding the sea lions. IIRC, 4pm was feeding time and I would take the bucket of fish out, the zoo would announce it, and people would flock to their enclosure to watch. I had a fish bone embed itself in my finger once and to this day I still have a scar from where it was removed, and tingling when I hit it wrong. There was a baby spider monkey who "knew" me and I could call him from any side of their enclosure, he would come running with his arms up. I loved that little guy.

I can say with certainty that the animals were very loved and well cared for, but their enclosures were all too small. In the last 15 years or so, our zoo has expanded to probably double the size of what it was when I was there. However, I have read some sad stories lately and I will not be going back.

Back to our ginormous mama, April. This story has reached far and wide and I believe that a lot of children (and adults) are interested in giraffes where they were not before. If that brings attention to conservation and such, that is a positive. I have found it heartwarming to read SO many comments from others who care for the elderly, and how beneficial it has been for them to watch her. Same thing I said early on about my GMA. Is it selfish of me to feel happy watching April, or when my GMA calls to see if "we have a baby yet" when I'm not with her? Perhaps. Yes, perhaps it is, I'm torn on how I feel but we are still going to enjoy baby watch...

All JMO, MOO, IMO, etc.
^^^
Great post! Love the spider monkey part the best. [emoji205]

I barely have time to check in here or YouTube.... can someone please message me if (when :D ) she's starting?? Pretty please with a baby giraffe on top.... lol

I barely have time to check in here or YouTube.... can someone please message me if (when :D ) she's starting?? Pretty please with a baby giraffe on top.... lol

I said I would msg you and now I take it back because I am going to bed now. [emoji849]

3/13 Evening Update

Are you on the edge of your seat?
Afternoon and evening keeper and vet checks continue to indicate significant changes in April. Her back end has become significantly larger and relaxed, motion and pulsing in this area has been noted, and discharge has been observed. Ladies and gentlemen - we are close. We are still not confirming active labor, but will state all physical signs are headed in the right direction.
The youtube feed will remain online through the process, Facebook LIVE will also provide updates. A professional crew will be onsite to document the birth also.
Again, be patient, she has fooled us before. We can simply suggest staying tuned into the feed, subscribing to the youtube channel, and also our FB notifications. We will do everything in our power to keep you posted.
Staff will remain onsite this evening to stay with April and also begin mitigating snow levels as they begin to pile early tomorrow morning. Stay safe, stay warm, and bring your animals inside!

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/

17264885_929153610520852_9073390525502411052_n.jpg

I was getting a tad excited a few minutes ago. April was standing and then she lifted a hind leg and kept shaking it. I thought something was about to start, but now she's plopped down ready to get some sleep. I guess she was only doing the hokey pokey. It's all fun and games until the calf emerges. :happydance:

In the couple of videos I have watched they do keep their neck straight out as opposed to up !

I hope that was the LAST time she ever has to try to lay down pregnant! That hurt me and I was trying to help get her legs in position for her, but... alas....after I think it was the 7th try, she FINALLY was able to FLOP down....but she didn't stay down long and up again, swaying side to side. She's definitely in labor, the vulva is very elongated, she's so uncomfortable, and stares into the deep ablyss for long periods of time. Contractions just aren't staying normal. I mean the ones I can see. I have it playing via Roku on my huge TV so I can see it better. I don't see as much of the baby moving around as before, but still some movement.

I will note one thing, about that photo of the udders on FB...well the udders DO fill out more than THEY said. That filling in can happen in hours or overnight. I can bet her udders look totally different today.

Any updates on Dobby? Hope he's still doing good.

Today is 3/14... maybe the baby should be called American Pi!

As a prey animal, the evolution of the giraffe's habits means that they rarely lie down, as it's difficult for them to get up again. Sleeping and drinking water both cause problems for the animals because their long necks are too short to reach the ground.

Giraffes get very little sleep because they must remain alert for attacks from predators, according to Live Science. They usually sleep for five minutes at a time and get 30 minutes to two hours of sleep a day.

Giraffes lie down by folding their legs under their bodies. When they lie down, they often keep their necks and heads erect. Sometimes they continue browsing and ruminating while in this position.

[FONT=&quot]Giraffes rarely lie down, as it's difficult for them to get up again[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Sleeping-giraffes.jpg

Sleeping-giraffes.jpg

Sleeping-giraffes.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/how-giraffe-sleep-youll-delighted-5722257

Years ago, I volunteered at a horse farm. They had a foal born premature, and wasn't tall enough to latch to nurse. Made it hay mounds, but still someone would have to hold the mare, and guide the foal up the mound to nurse. Luckily this was a very sweet and gentle mare. Because the foal was getting weaker, and so I figured you can milk a cow, why not a horse? The first day she didn't put out enough milk so I started every two hour milking. By the next day, she was putting out half a gallon at a time! We had extra milk! Ended up freezing some in case there was another foal that might need it. Sadly that foal was laying down while I was milking the mare, and several people came into the stall...it upset the mare, and she stepped on the foal's lower leg. Two weeks later, infection at the bone in that leg. Sadly it ended up having to be put down after the antibiotics didn't help. The mare was devastated, and would scream for the foal. Another mare had her foal and wouldn't have a thing to do with it. So introduced it to the mourning mare. She gladly accepted it, nursed it, and raised it!

And just in case you're wondering.... horse milk is very sweet tasting.

I had read something about them not sleeping much. I see Oliver laying down though in his area. April just looked miserable trying to get into position to lay down.

I bet she keeps munching while delivering! LOL! Munch, push, munch, munch, munch, push...

Those baby photos are too precious! Think zoning would accept me adding a giraffe :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member