NY - Karina Vetrano, 30, found murdered, Queens, 2 Aug 2016 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed she grabbed the vegetation as she was dragged off the path. The perp had to first grab her and subdue her before strangling, so there was opportunity for her hands to be free and grab whatever she could grab.

I don't rule out the possibility of more than one perp. My original thought was a couple of teens/young adults who were biking through the park or hanging out in the park that day. That idea is still on the table for me.

I so hope for a break in this case!!

jmo

So much we don't know, don't have privy too.... I don't think the perp or perps were teens as I don't think they could keep what happened quite - although, just as I write this, I think about Lauren Spierer; so what do I know...

Amazing whomever did this seemed to have just slip away.

So much we don't know, don't have privy too.... I don't think the perp or perps were teens as I don't think they could keep what happened quite - although, just as I write this, I think about Lauren Spierer; so what do I know...

Amazing whomever did this seemed to have just slip away.

I am thinking young because:

* no DNA on file
* quick getaway
* no employer to notice an absence or marks on face/body
* parent/family would protect them and not report
* availability to be hanging out in a park at that time of day
* knowledge of park, familiarity
* I was once surrounded by a group of young guys hanging out in a city park and it frightened me very much. It could've turned ugly, but thank goodness it did not. The "vibe" of Karina's case reminded me of my experience in an isolated section of the park. It's tempting to project my experience into the case, especially since there isn't any compelling reason not to (yet).

Of course, this is total speculation. My vibe and hunches mean nothing, of course.

I hate that this remains unsolved.

I remember a detective saying at the community meeting that they have some evidence that they don't want the perp to know they have. Til this day I'm very curious what it is.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

What are the chances that the one day she doesn't run with her father, she is attacked.....randomly. I guess stranger things have happened but...

I too am leaning more toward an attack by a perpetrator who was familiar with the weeds and saw an opportunity that day with KV running alone. It does seem terribly unfair that on the day she went running alone, she was violently assaulted and murdered, but it is still within the realm of possibility. I have been running for almost 30 years and when I was training for my first NYC marathon and still lived in Manhattan, I went running at dusk one brutally hot/humid summer day in NYC. It was the only time that I ever went running at dusk in my whole life and I was assaulted and robbed. This is why I think there are just bad people out there looking for an easy target.

Do any of you have a sense of how rapists generally react to a victim fighting back, as Karina was said to have? Bullies are often apt to back off. Do rapists? Does it tell us something about Karina's killer that he persisted?

http://www.runnersworld.com/general...mber-the-joy-their-daughters-found-in-running

New article where PV is being interviewed. There is a little more information regarding the day she was murdered...

Great article! Really brings her into focus for me. Thank you for posting it!

Amid Grief, Parents Remember the Joy Their Daughters Found in Running; Ally Brueger and Karina Vetrano, killed this summer while running near their homes, were dedicated to the sport.; By Erin Strout THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17, 2016,

I think this varies, but rape is about control, and many rapists are violent, so a victim fighting back may only incense them further, escalating the rage and violence. In this case, the perp may have gone into it thinking rape, not murder, and it just progressed to that.

Do any of you have a sense of how rapists generally react to a victim fighting back, as Karina was said to have? Bullies are often apt to back off. Do rapists? Does it tell us something about Karina's killer that he persisted?

It is interesting that she was still grasping grass (what a horrible thing that must have been to see); throughout the attack I would think she would have been wildly flailing to save her life. People who die from strangulation almost always have self-imposed claw marks on their necks. Between trying to fight the attacker and save herself, why would she still be grasping grass from being dragged? Thoughts?

Shoot. Sorry all...I thought I had caught up enough before posting. I now see this issue had been brought up --.just above, nonetheless. Sorry!

I think someone from WS is posting the Parabon stuff on PVs facebook. Not sure if he is doing it, but imo he should

Exactly! From day one I could never figure this out. She had the grass in her hands, DNA under finger nails... Unless she grabbed the grass at the very last moment. But I remember watching a video with the detective saying they think she was dragged bc she had the grass in her hands. Was she attacked on the path, attempted rape/assaulted, it escalated to fight, then she was dragged/strangled? Maybe this is why her phone, headphones, and shoe was thrown? She dropped it on the path at initial attack, the perp attacked, dragged and murdered, then went back to get rid of items.

Might be worth a try in this case.... goes beyond familial testing.

http://whdh.com/investigations/cher...logy-to-give-vanessa-marcottes-killer-a-face/

Fascinating stuff. It sounds like a very promising technology. Most of what I picked up in a quick Google search was a year or two out of date, but it was already awing me. I imagine that it will take a while for us to figure out just how to work it into law enforcement work. Here's an NYT piece on it:

I’ve Just Seen a (DNA-Generated) Face, By HEATHER MURPHYFEB. 23, 2015

It includes these photos of a Eurasian woman (left) and of two images generated from her DNA (right). The woman is a Times reporter. The DNA photos were distributed to about 50 of her colleagues, and only 10 of them were able to guess her identity as an individual.

Screenshot 2016-11-21 at 1.12.23 AM.png

I actually think the two cases are very similar , a case study between both cases would be beneficial to see if similarities arise.

I really can't believe there has not been progress. I thought this case would get solved ASAP, especially with PV having friends in LE.

I am, still, hopeful.

OT I think I'm bad luck. Seems like every case I follow goes cold.

It is interesting that she was still grasping grass (what a horrible thing that must have been to see); throughout the attack I would think she would have been wildly flailing to save her life. People who die from strangulation almost always have self-imposed claw marks on their necks. Between trying to fight the attacker and save herself, why would she still be grasping grass from being dragged? Thoughts?
I knew Karina and worked with her for a few years. Aside from being in tip top shape she was a VERY tough girl, no doubt in my mind she could fight and like someone twice her size. There was much evidence proving she put up a huge fight against this piece of **** and he left covered in bruises, scratches, cuts, marks etc (as his DNA was found under her fingernails and there were marks on her proving she was fighting hard back). Which led to the speculation he was unemployed or took immediate time off of work, and lived alone or with his mother who was protecting him during the height of the immediate search. As far as the grass in her hands, there could be two logical reasons why; Her body was found face down in the marsh, if this man was able to get on top of her back theres not much anyone can do at that point. She might have just grasped the grass while face down as last resort in her final moments, poor thing. And two - yes strangulation victims are found with self inflicted claw marks on them, but you dont have to be conscious to be strangled. The fighting and screaming could have made a lot of noise - it was broad daylight - and if he did infact drag her body to another area she could have grasped the grass while being dragged away in an effort to get away. I have also heard she was bludgeoned with an object and knocked unconscious before strangled. He could have attacked, fought her, dragged her to another location before knocking her unconscious and then strangling her. Anything is possible but all we can do is hope and pray this man is found and justice is served for Karina.

I knew Karina and worked with her for a few years. Aside from being in tip top shape she was a VERY tough girl, no doubt in my mind she could fight and like someone twice her size. There was much evidence proving she put up a huge fight against this piece of **** and he left covered in bruises, scratches, cuts, marks etc (as his DNA was found under her fingernails and there were marks on her proving she was fighting hard back). Which led to the speculation he was unemployed or took immediate time off of work, and lived alone or with his mother who was protecting him during the height of the immediate search. As far as the grass in her hands, there could be two logical reasons why; Her body was found face down in the marsh, if this man was able to get on top of her back theres not much anyone can do at that point. She might have just grasped the grass while face down as last resort in her final moments, poor thing. And two - yes strangulation victims are found with self inflicted claw marks on them, but you dont have to be conscious to be strangled. The fighting and screaming could have made a lot of noise - it was broad daylight - and if he did infact drag her body to another area she could have grasped the grass while being dragged away in an effort to get away. I have also heard she was bludgeoned with an object and knocked unconscious before strangled. He could have attacked, fought her, dragged her to another location before knocking her unconscious and then strangling her. Anything is possible but all we can do is hope and pray this man is found and justice is served for Karina.

Thank you and welcome... I'm glad you are sharing your information here. Can I ask you where you worked with KV ? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member