NY-Long Island-4 bodies on Beach-Possible Serial Killer-Dec 2010 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so unbelievable and scary. I cannot believe they found more bodies. These poor women.

Hopefully they can search early tomorrow morning before the heavy rains come.

Now back to catching up.

The title of this thread should be changed I think to include all of the bodies found.

Did they know they were looking for more people than Shannon at first, or any reason to believe they would find more?

I think the weather was a factor for sure, though, after snow melted but before the brush grew up for the summer. And if the initial four were kind of close together, they may have assumed, wrongly, that they were all left in one spot.

The title of this thread should be changed I think to include all of the bodies found.

I hate to say this but...it sounds like we might need to wait for a final count.

Did they know they were looking for more people than Shannon at first, or any reason to believe they would find more?

I think the weather was a factor for sure, though, after snow melted but before the brush grew up for the summer. And if the initial four were kind of close together, they may have assumed, wrongly, that they were all left in one spot.

From what the public has been told by LE, no, it was just a search for Shannan.

BBM

Ease of disposal would be my guess. According to Rupa Mikkilineni on NG tonight, a petite (around 100 lbs) woman could easily fit in the bag; especially if the body was bent at the waist. Rupa held up a sample burlap bag, and it came to her waist. She stated she was 5'5" and 100lbs, and could easily fit in the bag.

I did find a link that all 8 bodies were put into burlap bags. I'll have to go find that link :banghead:

ETA: Interesting, this article says the 3 last bodies discovered had been there for at least a month:
http://www.longislandpress.com/2010/12/13/2-bodies-found-in-oak-beach-in-3-days/

Based on what I know about the mud in the area down on the water there, it would be tough for this perp to put the body into a boat, anchor outside this patch of marsh, get out of the boat with waders, lift a body out of a boat, wade through the water.......you get the point..... This is not a typical sand beach. It's a bay, and it is not accessible to people, rough thick brush with no sand or access... it's reeds and marsh/snell- boom into the bay.

Notice they were looking into the heavy brush from overhead on a crane? You can't even walk through this stuff easily at all. I am still puzzled at how this guy got them there- :waitasec: still sticking to my theory of the burlap sacks being thrown from a pickup truck. Tire marks on the flat grassy patch would NOT be uncommon at all. I've said it before, cars are pulled over there all the time.

Horrified that these bodies were there every day when we ride by in the summer on the motorcycle :sick: These poor families.....

I would like to know who spotted something from the road and found body #5.

If it was an officer and it was the same officer (JM) who found the first body... I will find that odd.

How many bodies does one K9 officer usually find in a one month period? 5 in one week when you were only looking for 1 seems really amazing to me... especially because K9's are not generally Human Remain Detection dogs. (After finding the first 4 bodies, JM and his dog found another body in a separate case on Dec 22. There may be more, I haven't looked that hard.)

I also haven't heard anything about the women being naked until Nancy tonight, not sure where that came from.

I am not terribly worried about him suddenly switching to more high risk and taking a housewife. I wouldn't be surprised if he kills someone he knows, just because they are available.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he went after someone as a challenge... such as someone getting on TV, at the scene where the bodies were found and climbing into a burlap sack to show that they can fit in it. Can you imagine the thoughts that would go through the head of the guy killing these women, to see that? :eek:

Shannan....

The four identified women.... police do not know WHO any of them were going to meet when they disappeared. Just that they had dates...

Shannan had a driver, who dropped her off, talked to the person, had a name, a house, the person talked to her driver and TOLD HIM that Shannan had called 911... plus she was last seen being followed by her driver.

I don't think the person who killed the other 4 would have even considered killing someone, leaving a witness who knew everything about him. That's just too careless for a guy who had thus far been quite meticulous. The public way she disappeared seems uncharacteristic of the killer of the other 4 identified women.

Are ALL officers accounted for during the time it took them to respond to Shannan's call? Do we know for a fact that one (off duty perhaps) could not have responded earlier and picked her up?

If that is not possible, then I am starting to wonder if Shannan is totally unrelated and her freak out was related to her mental illness that her sister referenced.

Now of course, if she is found in a burlap sack, I will have to rethink that.

If the guy is a Fisherman why not use the Ocean? He doesn't have his own Boat? Lives with his Parents or Wife but still has a space of his own at times for privacy.

There are many seasonal party fishing boats that go out of Captree. We have been on them several times. They use burlap bags of clams as bait for Striped Bass, which are quite plentiful in this area. I have been on the boats, and we have met MANY "mates" who were just working for the summer. From NJ, Oregon, and several from Ireland. I asked my husband if he remembers any locals and he said not really.

This is a way home to the west from the Hamptons as an out-of-the way area. but I am not 100% on that theory

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Homes...10404/ts_alt_afp/uscrimemurder_20110404224605

that is the pier at Oak Beach. It's a teeny free public beach that's an inlet off of the ocean. This is across the street and on the other side of the center median from where the bodies were found. See the houses in the background? That is the oak beach development where Shannan was last seen running.

It's a huge parking lot. There used to be a very famous club there in the 60's, 70's 80's called the Oak Beach Inn. It has since been torn down. Now it's a parking lot where in summer motorcyclists meet and every sunday morning, there is a car show.

Now, it is full of news vans, satellite dishes, and police trucks/vans/equipment.

Hi Clue, Did you read the bodies were placed about 500' apart in groups of 4? Confusing, as I also read they don't kn ow if these latest 4 are related to the previous 4 bodies.

I think there is so much info coming out fast now as there are so many articles on it, that some info is going to be incorrect. It's to be expected.

At least I have my bearings now that they are searching on the bay side of Ocean Parkway W inbetween Oak Beach and Gilgo Beach.

OMG, what a horror, 3 more bodies and possibly more to come...so sad, these poor girls and their families.

Holidays
They are all May - September.
Seasonal??
What is this guy doing from October to April?
Is it possible that this guy lives in New York during the summer... May - September... then moves somewhere else for October - April?
The Atlantic City Murders were fall cases....

Respectfully snipped, I think you're onto something. The timing is likely not a coincidence for a systematic SK in my view.

About a third of Long Island is seasonal, including the whole of the East End, which is the resort area known as the Hamptons and North Fork, also Fire Island and parts of Long Beach.

There is a huge influx of seasonal workers to these areas by Memorial Day, people needed to service mainly the hospitality industry (hotels, B&Bs, bars, restaurants) and the farms (vineyards, vegetables, trees etc.). Seasonal jobs include chefs, landscapers, housekeeping, bartenders, life guards.

If there is a connection to Atlantic City winter season work, that would rule out landscaping and point to hospitality industry.

http://longisland.blockshopper.com/taxes/by_city/gilgo-oak_beach-captree

Interesting list. I see that Father Alan Placa, "Giuliani's priest", is listed as an owner in Oak Beach. Interesting because he was caught up in the priest scandal. But his preference is boys.

However, what kind of company does he keep? Who does he lend his house out to? Placa is Giuliani's age, and I hope he's keeping his nose clean these days.

Anything more on the facebook accounts about the 9th person?

I would like to know who spotted something from the road and found body #5.

If it was an officer and it was the same officer (JM) who found the first body... I will find that odd.

How many bodies does one K9 officer usually find in a one month period? 5 in one week when you were only looking for 1 seems really amazing to me... especially because K9's are not generally Human Remain Detection dogs. (After finding the first 4 bodies, JM and his dog found another body in a separate case on Dec 22. There may be more, I haven't looked that hard.)

I also haven't heard anything about the women being naked until Nancy tonight, not sure where that came from.

I am not terribly worried about him suddenly switching to more high risk and taking a housewife. I wouldn't be surprised if he kills someone he knows, just because they are available.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he went after someone as a challenge... such as someone getting on TV, at the scene where the bodies were found and climbing into a burlap sack to show that they can fit in it. Can you imagine the thoughts that would go through the head of the guy killing these women, to see that? :eek:

Shannan....

The four identified women.... police do not know WHO any of them were going to meet when they disappeared. Just that they had dates...

Shannan had a driver, who dropped her off, talked to the person, had a name, a house, the person talked to her driver and TOLD HIM that Shannan had called 911... plus she was last seen being followed by her driver.

I don't think the person who killed the other 4 would have even considered killing someone, leaving a witness who knew everything about him. That's just too careless for a guy who had thus far been quite meticulous. The public way she disappeared seems uncharacteristic of the killer of the other 4 identified women.

Are ALL officers accounted for during the time it took them to respond to Shannan's call? Do we know for a fact that one (off duty perhaps) could not have responded earlier and picked her up?

If that is not possible, then I am starting to wonder if Shannan is totally unrelated and her freak out was related to her mental illness that her sister referenced.

Now of course, if she is found in a burlap sack, I will have to rethink that.

But then where is Shannan? Did someone kill her other than who killed the 8 bodies all dumped in burlap bags?

An interesting post for sure MsFacetious, Godh, I haven't seen a case like this for a long time. The officer angle is fascinating for sure. That happens, in fact we have a case here in the NW where the locals say an office'rs son is involved in a girl's disappearance {not confirmed}.

Also to add that after Shannon went running off from that man's house, it was a sports utility vehicle {?} that raced off after her.

I also read that these prostitutes come from the city to service people in their homes on LI. Did you read that Shannon was seeing a client on Fire Island? I think I read that.

Gosh, I'm going to have to start taking notes. I've read so much that after awhile it is hard to remember which article it came from. :crazy:

ETA: Nope CORRECTION, I'll have to see what I read that caught my eye about Fire Island and a girl going there. Sorry

Hi Clue, Did you read the bodies were placed about 500' apart in groups of 4? Confusing, as I also read they don't kn ow if these latest 4 are related to the previous 4 bodies.

I think there is so much info coming out fast now as there are so many articles on it, that some info is going to be incorrect. It's to be expected.

At least I have my bearings now that they are searching on the bay side of Ocean Parkway W inbetween Oak Beach and Gilgo Beach.

talking about confusing I ran across this title
NC woman's remains found on NY beach
Updated at 09:24 PM today

snip
Amber Lynn Costello, 27, originally of Wilmington, N.C.; http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?s...world&id=8053041&rss=rss-wtvd-article-8053041

That the first time I heard she was from NC
in the Bronx but was originally from the Buffalo area; and Amber Lynn Costello, 27, who was last seen in North Babylon on Long Island.

The story made it sound like it was one of the recent victims :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member