GUILTY NY - Nixzmary Brown, 7, beaten to death in Brooklyn, 11 Jan 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember this very well. It's just one of the MANY times the system has failed a child, but at least this one got tons of press and they actually investigated what happened and put some reforms in place. I don't remember the particulars of the reforms, though. There was an SVU episode based on it, I believe.

The thread titled "7 year old found dead.." is about this case.

No Offense to anyone but I like the title of this thread for the poor little angel.

IMO, everybody let this little girl down. I remember when this happened and the horrid details of her abuse & death came out. I believe the mother is just as guilty as he is, she took part in the abuse also. I'm appalled the the step-fathers attorney had the nerve to say "My client is only guilty of being a strict disciplinarian", (well he disciplined her to death!) I personally could never be a defense attorney.

I remember her well, the NY Post at the time published pics from Nixzmary's viewing, the morticians make-up couldn't even cover some of the bruises on her face. Just horrible. This would be a very difficult case to serve on a jury for.

Is the mother not facing any charges? When does the stepfather go to trial...anyone know?

This is a terrible case full of horror. I can't go back and read it again but I remember the whole thing and even her funeral....poor little girl. She was the scapegoat in that family.

I read this article yesterday and he it seems like it just happened. This poor little girl and the nerve of the stepfather trying to blame her for the abuse and the mother worrying more about being pregnant with this monsters baby. I can't believe in an appartment building no one heard her cries. May she rest in peace with all the other angels who never had a chance.

I personally could never be a defense attorney.

I was thinking about this the other day, and wondering how a person could stomach defending some of the creatures out there. I realize everyone has the right to representation, but it must take a special kind of person to actually do it.

34790307.jpg

A NYPD detective from the Crime Scene Unite carries a chair with rope tied to its legs as evidence in the murder of a 7-year-old girl, Nixzmary Brown, at her home in 571 Greene Ave in Brooklyn, the scene of the murder of a 7-year-old girl. (Moises Saman)

BY ANTHONY M. DESTEFANO, NEWSDAY and JAMSHID MOUSAVINEZHAD, amNY.com | anthony.destefano@newsday.com 1:19 PM EST, January 17, 2008 A Brooklyn courtroom gasped in horror Thursday as the officer who first found the dead body of Nixzmary Brown dramatically revealed the child-sized chair that the seven-year-old girl was allegedly tortured in.

The chair, wrapped in brown packaging, sat on the prosecutor's table facing the jury in the murder trial of Nixzmary's stepfather, Cesar Rodriguez, 29. NYPD officer Erick Nolan came down from the witness stand to tear the paper off, bringing gasps from courtroom spectators and an audible cry of "Oh my God".

The chair was left facing the jury, with pieces of white twine--allegedly used to bind Nixmary--still visible on the left arm.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/am-nix0118,0,6346594.story

That photo brought tears to my eyes. Poor baby!

And that article answered my previous question..6 kids by 5 men. What a sterling example of motherhood.

BY ANTHONY M. DESTEFANO and JOSEPH MALLIA | anthony.destefano@newsday.com and joseph.mallia@newsday.com 12:41 PM EST, January 18, 2008

Seven-year-old Nixzmary Brown's body was covered with telltale signs that she had been beaten severely, and often, a crime-scene detective said in a Brooklyn courtroom where a jury is hearing evidence in her stepfather's murder trial.

Using language that was both matter-of-fact and poignant, New York City police Det. Joseph Bello, the chief crime-scene investigator in the girl's Jan. 11, 2006, death, told the jury what he saw.

"A skinny female laying face up in the bedroom wearing red sweatpants," Bello said.
"She was severely bruised with a purplish tint over almost the whole body."

Bello also went into detail on the steps he took to photograph, gather and preserve evidence from the chair Nixzmary was tied to, the kitty litter box that served as her toilet, the blood spatters on the apartment walls.

The stepfather, Cesar Rodriguez, 29, is charged with depraved indifference murder, manslaughter and assault for Nixzmary's killing after what police said were vicious beatings and torture. Prosecutors charge that Rodriguez and his wife, Nixzaliz Santiago, Nixzmary's mother, abused and underfed the child for months in their Bedford-Stuyvesant apartment.

During the Friday testimony, as Bello finished describing each element of the evidence, the prosecutor placed the relevant photographs on a large display board. A court officer then picked up the board and carried the photographs over to the jury box so jurors could inspect the images up close.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/crime/ny-nynixz0119,0,5754537.story?coll=ny_home_rail_headlines

Sad, sad, sad life for this little girl and her siblings. What makes people like they are? How on earth could you beat and torture a child? I just do not get it. :( :( :(

A jar found on a dresser in one of the bedrooms where 7-year-old Nixzmary Brown died in 2006 contained what appeared to be a human fetus, a detective testified today.

Det. Joseph Bello, who was testifying as a prosecution witness in the murder trial of Nixzmary's stepfather Cesar Rodriguez, said he was told that the jar contained the remains of a miscarried fetus.

What defense attorneys called a "bombshell" disclosure in the Brooklyn State Supreme Court trial of Rodriguez came at the conclusion of a shortened day of testimony in the murder trial which began on Tuesday. Prosecutors contend that Rodriguez killed the child on Jan. 11, 2006, in a rage over her misbehavior.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/crime/ny-nynixz0119,0,5754537.story?coll=ny_home_rail_headlines

A jar found on a dresser in one of the bedrooms where 7-year-old Nixzmary Brown died in 2006 contained what appeared to be a human fetus, a detective testified today.

Det. Joseph Bello, who was testifying as a prosecution witness in the murder trial of Nixzmary's stepfather Cesar Rodriguez, said he was told that the jar contained the remains of a miscarried fetus.

What defense attorneys called a "bombshell" disclosure in the Brooklyn State Supreme Court trial of Rodriguez came at the conclusion of a shortened day of testimony in the murder trial which began on Tuesday. Prosecutors contend that Rodriguez killed the child on Jan. 11, 2006, in a rage over her misbehavior.

Maybe this was the work of God...one less child for him to beat on.

34790307.jpg

A NYPD detective from the Crime Scene Unite carries a chair with rope tied to its legs as evidence in the murder of a 7-year-old girl, Nixzmary Brown, at her home in 571 Greene Ave in Brooklyn, the scene of the murder of a 7-year-old girl. (Moises Saman)

BY ANTHONY M. DESTEFANO, NEWSDAY and JAMSHID MOUSAVINEZHAD, amNY.com | anthony.destefano@newsday.com 1:19 PM EST, January 17, 2008 A Brooklyn courtroom gasped in horror Thursday as the officer who first found the dead body of Nixzmary Brown dramatically revealed the child-sized chair that the seven-year-old girl was allegedly tortured in.

The chair, wrapped in brown packaging, sat on the prosecutor's table facing the jury in the murder trial of Nixzmary's stepfather, Cesar Rodriguez, 29. NYPD officer Erick Nolan came down from the witness stand to tear the paper off, bringing gasps from courtroom spectators and an audible cry of "Oh my God".

The chair was left facing the jury, with pieces of white twine--allegedly used to bind Nixmary--still visible on the left arm.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/am-nix0118,0,6346594.story

I wish I had not read this. The ways upon which people find to be cruel just absolutely FLOORS me. And disgusts me and breaks my heart.

I wish I had not read this. The ways upon which people find to be cruel just absolutely FLOORS me. And disgusts me and breaks my heart.

I understand. I don't usually read crimes against children for that reason.
This case is local, so it's hard to avoid and it is just haunting me.:mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slatchautoclinic
Back