NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ida expected her husband home around 3 p.m. that day. She had called and texted him in the afternoon, but he never answered and his phone went dead around 2:45 p.m., she said.

Ida said that police were last able to track Mayer's cell phone signal around Route 110 in Huntington, while he was on his way home around 1:45 p.m.

She said that her husband drove his red 2004 Pontiac into work, but police found his vehicle at the Deer Park train station. She said that she didn't know how his car got there, since Mayer never took the train for work because he worried about leaving his car unattended at the station.

http://halfhollowhills.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/update-on-missing-local-dad_df31dd24

I'm puzzled- this account states police found his car.

:banghead: This makes no sense!

He was last seen at a scrap metal yard around 2:15, but police were last able to track his phone at 1:45 on his way home?

So the 1:45 ping is not the last time he was known to be in the area, then.

Where's the scrap metal yard? Brooklyn? In between his home and his job site?

:banghead: This makes no sense!

He was last seen at a scrap metal yard around 2:15, but police were last able to track his phone at 1:45 on his way home?

So the 1:45 ping is not the last time he was known to be in the area, then.

Where's the scrap metal yard? Brooklyn? In between his home and his job site?

If correct, it means that after the ping, he went to scrap metal yard, then phone was shut off. It shows he stopped there.

ETA: I would guess the scrap yard was located somewhere between ping location and home, which may explain the route he took.

This case just seems to be getting more confusing. Now he was last seen at a scrap metal place. Was he selling metals? Did he go home after that to get what he needed and than just left the car at the train station to throw off everyone off?

This case just seems to be getting more confusing. Now he was last seen at a scrap metal place. Was he selling metals? Did he go home after that to get what he needed and than just left the car at the train station to throw off everyone off?

I worked for an electrician, there's lots of metal involved that can be sold.
copper wire to name one. Maybe he made some cash and some one held him up or jumped him.

The locals would have a better idea of the area.

just found this:

Details of Disappearance
Robert Mayer went to work June 14, 2013. He was seen at work with his car. He was last seen at a scrap metal yard around 2:15. His car – a 2004 red pontiac GTO- was located the next day, Saturday, June 15 at 8:30 p.m. at the Deer Park Train Station, a few miles from the house. Roberts family states that he never takes the train as he drives to and from work. His car was found abandoned at Deer Park train station His family says that Robert has never stayed away from home.Robert does not have identification on him, as his wallet was found at home. He has not been seen or heard from. His case remains unsolved.
Investigative Agency
Suffolk County Police Department
631-697-6186

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/robert-mayer/

Wow, the scrap metal yard is a whole new entry! I wish they would have stated the location of this place, as there are several in the area, the most popular being Two Bros Scrap Metal in Farmingdale which is very close to Rte 110, hence the cell phone ping at 1:45. The ping stated Huntington which is North, he could take 110 North to South and be there for 2:15. Sounds plausible.
Also note there are several scrap metal yards in Wyndanch and Brentwood, both not far from Deer Park train station, and both neighborhoods have sections that aren't considered safe by most Long Islanders. The wife could probably shed some light on why he was at a scrap metal yard. It is possible he ran into some trouble in this area, harmed in some way, and the perps just drove the car ( remember the seat being pulled up) to the station to throw off any trail back to them.

I hope this is not the case, but I would do all I could to get K-9 units all over the scrap metal yard where he was last seen.

Ok hi everyone,
This is my first post on any forum. The brainstorming is very intense on this site.
I really like the transparency of everyone's thoughts. Everything that has been previously mentioned has continued to bother me as well. hope this post satisfies the forum criteria, so here we go.
In thinking about the wallet, I believe had he forgotten it he would have asked the wife in the AM conversation. I'm thinking he arrived home, left the wallet in the garage, maybe put the bike in the car, took off to the train station. Why would a family member look for the car at the train station. The following link that mentions family member found car at train station:
http://www.longislandernews.com/papers/hills/news/news1.html

He may very well have told her he was leaving. IMO the person in " denial" is the wife. Given their financial situation, i.e. court case in 2007, the wife put everything in the husbands name.
Here is the link
http://longisland.blockshopper.com/property/47-26-89-284-000-0300-158-000-0000/23_leroy
Just find it very interesting!

How do we know that he didn't tell her about the wallet being in the garage ? Or that he told her he had forgotten it ? Did his wife ever discuss what their phone convo was about that morning ? I may well have missed it...jmo

just found this:

Details of Disappearance
Robert Mayer went to work June 14, 2013. He was seen at work with his car. He was last seen at a scrap metal yard around 2:15. His car – a 2004 red pontiac GTO- was located the next day, Saturday, June 15 at 8:30 p.m. at the Deer Park Train Station, a few miles from the house. Roberts family states that he never takes the train as he drives to and from work. His car was found abandoned at Deer Park train station His family says that Robert has never stayed away from home.Robert does not have identification on him, as his wallet was found at home. He has not been seen or heard from. His case remains unsolved.
Investigative Agency
Suffolk County Police Department
631-697-6186

http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/robert-mayer/

The scrap metal yard sighting makes me very uneasy...don't really know why...

He was seen at the scrap metal place at 2:15pm. Than a camera saw him pulling out of his driveway at 2:45pm.

Welcome to WS and glad to have you on this forum Toto2 and Maddy65.
You are so right Jerry, there is much conflicting information (especially related to times) and that makes it hard to try and answer questions. I wish we could hear more from co-workers, neighbors and LE in msm sites. I also wish an insider would join the group and get confirmed.

:seeya: Hi Bessie, super mod. Good to see you as usual.

The information about the first search being at Pilgrim Psy Ctr grabbed my attention too. I agree with you - Relay - there may be something significant. Could it be that things were "tense or troubled" with RM; looking at some possible indicators noted in relay's post.

Could he have been encouraged to go by the Center on the way home and talk with someone? (Due to HIPAA we'll likely never know if he did.) Unless another reason comes out that PPC would be a place to look, this is the only opinion I can think of at this point.

Does anyone know the location of the mentioned scrap yard. There may be additional factors at play there too.

I wonder how long ago the scrap metal yard info was posted? Also, who saw him and at what location is this yard? There are several scrap metal yards in the Deer Park area also.
I am still thinking he went home around 2:45 and left the wallet at that time. This is quite perplexing to say the least!

I worked for an electrician, there's lots of metal involved that can be sold.
copper wire to name one. Maybe he made some cash and some one held him up or jumped him.

The locals would have a better idea of the area.

You are right on BUNNYHOP. Electricians and hvac guys make a lot of extra cash selling extra material (copper being extremely valuable). Several of these facilities are off the beaten path with a lot of unsavory appearing characters working there.
This scrap yard development has me now (unfortunately) flipping sides and going with foul play. It is very possible Someone spotted him,spotted cash he had and things got real bad for RM.

Justy-There are many scrap yards/salvage/auto wreckers in the Deer Park area. Long Island Ave in Deer Park is full of them, which by the way....leads right to the Deer Park train station east of Commack Rd.

Wow, the scrap metal yard is a whole new entry! I wish they would have stated the location of this place, as there are several in the area, the most popular being Two Bros Scrap Metal in Farmingdale which is very close to Rte 110, hence the cell phone ping at 1:45. The ping stated Huntington which is North, he could take 110 North to South and be there for 2:15. Sounds plausible.
Also note there are several scrap metal yards in Wyndanch and Brentwood, both not far from Deer Park train station, and both neighborhoods have sections that aren't considered safe by most Long Islanders. The wife could probably shed some light on why he was at a scrap metal yard. It is possible he ran into some trouble in this area, harmed in some way, and the perps just drove the car ( remember the seat being pulled up) to the station to throw off any trail back to them.

I hope this is not the case, but I would do all I could to get K-9 units all over the scrap metal yard where he was last seen.

Thanks Jerry. This makes sense. I suspect he was perhaps turning in scrap for cash. Way to make extra money. I had a friend who did rubbish removal, and he always turned in the scrap for cash.

IF RM was working at construction site, he would have access to scrap (although he had a small car)

Also the link I provided above clearly states police found his car.

A local reporter needs to get on the story and start with an interview at the Scrap Metal business - where he was last seen. If nothing more than inquire and report on RM's time there, his demeanor, was he alone.... etc.

You are right on BUNNYHOP. Electricians and hvac guys make a lot of extra cash selling extra material (copper being extremely valuable). Several of these facilities are off the beaten path with a lot of unsavory appearing characters working there.
This scrap yard development has me now (unfortunately) flipping sides and going with foul play. It is very possible Someone spotted him,spotted cash he had and things got real bad for RM.

Yes this really shakes things up.

Exactly, what time was the missing wallet discovered? Was the wife home in the afternoon? Could he have slipped home without her knowing if she was out in the afternoon?

He was seen at the scrap metal place at 2:15pm. Than a camera saw him pulling out of his driveway at 2:45pm.

Where exactly was this confirmed?? He lives on a fully residential block, the camera would have to be at a neighbor's house. Not common, but also not unheard of either. But I have not seen any confirmation of this camera sighting. Again, assuming wife was home waiting for him to arrive for 3pm as she said she was, surely she would have seen him come home for 2:45pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member