NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, adding to the frustration. Random statements are made, such as the bike, with no details. Same with the scrap metal yard. It was read online somewhere, but it didn't state the address ( we found that from someone on FB) , and it didn't say WHO exactly saw him.

More frustration and random tidbits of info. If we had DETAILS we can narrow things down, but we waste a lot of effort speculating.

The bike thing completely threw me for a loop. I have zero ideas where that comes into play. Again, details. And answers we need from the family.

Was he an avid biker? Did he often park at the train station and go biking from there? I never believed he stopped home at 2:45, but if he did -- did he load up his bike in the car to go for a casual ride? Maybe that's why the seat was up? He tried to fit the bike in the back seat? Left the wallet home for fear of losing it while riding? Ran into some foul play during his ride? Is this why IM seems convinced to search in that general area?
Simple answers can rule out MANY theories and save a lot of time and effort.

If he didn't stop home, then he would have had to have the bike with him all day or stashed it somewhere in the trails. Judging from the person who was at the search, the DEC officer said he "may" have had a bike. FWIW, I believe what i have heard about him stopping home after work however i don't know if they caught him loading in a bike. Haven't heard about him having a bike rack and I doubt he could fit a bike in his back seat.

The scrap metal place address wasn't stated to be the actual location that RM was last sighted. It was given as a possible location that LE was going to search for with dogs. And it turned out that they did not search after all. So it is quite likely that it was actually not the location that RM was last seen.

In fact we don't know which scrap yard he was last seen at.

ElizaAvalon;9649006]The scrap metal place address wasn't stated to be the actual location that RM was last sighted. It was given as a possible location that LE was going to search for with dogs. And it turned out that they did not search after all. So it is quite likely that it was actually not the location that RM was last seen.

In fact we don't know which scrap yard he was last seen at.
Where does CUE get its info from? Is info on there be considered fact?

I asked the same question Vedder and someone here (sorry, I forget who) replied upthread that the info is from family members and CUE is very strict about that.

If he didn't stop home, then he would have had to have the bike with him all day or stashed it somewhere in the trails. Judging from the person who was at the search, the DEC officer said he "may" have had a bike. FWIW, I believe what i have heard about him stopping home after work however i don't know if they caught him loading in a bike. Haven't heard about him having a bike rack and I doubt he could fit a bike in his back seat.

If the passenger seat was also pushed forward, I do believe he could wedge a bike back there and then push the driver side forward upon exiting in order to remove the bike. If HE drove to the station and IF he had a bike. *sigh*

Question for locals:
Are there any bike paths nearby?
Close to home?
TIA

I am not exactly a local but I did look at Google Maps and it appears that right across from the train station is an area with trails, possibly for biking. I am not sure about R.M. carrying a bike around in the car. I think page 3 has a photo of the actual car and I don't see a bike rack at all. It was also mentioned how much he liked his car so I wouldn't think he was trying to put a mountain bike in the trunk ( probably wouldn't fit) or in the back seat. I had thought that, if there are trails across from the train station, could he have kept a mountain bike locked up there in a bike rack so that he didn't have to transport it back and forth every time he wanted to ride the trails? Seems most train stations have a place to lock a bike and could be something his wife forgot/ wasn't sure about.

I am not exactly a local but I did look at Google Maps and it appears that right across from the train station is an area with trails, possibly for biking. I am not sure about R.M. carrying a bike around in the car. I think page 3 has a photo of the actual car and I don't see a bike rack at all. It was also mentioned how much he liked his car so I wouldn't think he was trying to put a mountain bike in the trunk ( probably wouldn't fit) or in the back seat. I had thought that, if there are trails across from the train station, could he have kept a mountain bike locked up there in a bike rack so that he didn't have to transport it back and forth every time he wanted to ride the trails? Seems most train stations have a place to lock a bike and could be something his wife forgot/ wasn't sure about.

I doubt anyone would keep a bike in a rack, even locked up, for any length of time at that station or surrounding area. It would be stolen in a heartbeat, IMO. (Mine was stolen in Deer Park years ago, though not by the train station)

I believe that's the park they searched Sunday.
Wondering if any actual bike paths in the area.

His car is a 2 door, I doubt a mountain bike would fit.

I doubt anyone would keep a bike in a rack, even locked up, for any length of time at that station or surrounding area. It would be stolen in a heartbeat, IMO. (Mine was stolen in Deer Park years ago, though not by the train station)

I was thinking more along the lines of transporting it.
His car? if so, IMO a bike rack is needed.
Rode it away?
Someone else's car?

I believe that's the park they searched Sunday.
Wondering if any actual bike paths in the area.

His car is a 2 door, I doubt a mountain bike would fit.

I doubt it would fit also, I just threw the theory out of why maybe the seat was pushed forward (which again I dont believe is confirmed, like MOST other information in this case).

Sorry, I am starting to get really agitated at the lack of details. The bike being a main detail. I believe the quote by the guy in the online newsbit I saw went something like (paraphrasing) "A green mountain bike which may or may not be missing"

May or may not be missing?? What the heck does that mean? I would think that either something IS missing, or IS NOT missing. Or am I Missing something here? :banghead:

I doubt it would fit also, I just threw the theory out of why maybe the seat was pushed forward (which again I dont believe is confirmed, like MOST other information in this case).

Sorry, I am starting to get really agitated at the lack of details. The bike being a main detail. I believe the quote by the guy in the online newsbit I saw went something like (paraphrasing) "A green mountain bike which may or may not be missing"

May or may not be missing?? What the heck does that mean? I would think that either something IS missing, or IS NOT missing. Or am I Missing something here? :banghead:

The lack of details is extremely frustrating! IM did say the seat was in a forward position but didn't clarify whether it was pulled up so someone shorter could drive, or if the seat's back was pulled forward as if taking something out of the back seat. We're speculating on "may or may not" and we need official confirmation on these details, either from LE or IM. :please:

:banghead:
I believe there are dirt bike trails at the Edgewood preserve location. I don't know if they are still active. It's not one of my passions. LOL Dug this up.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-s...brush-plains-preserve/prd_169248_4566crx.aspx

Just by constantly driving by this area, and the Pilgram Psych Center, I find it extremely difficult to believe RM got home from work on a friday, and decided to bike here. It does not appear to be the safest place to be alone.

Although many cars cut through the main roads, there is a huge amount of abadoned land and buildings. The average person would not consider it safe. It would be a great place locally to dump a body, if you were inclined to do so.

I enjoy biking with my kids, I am not a biking nut. That cannot account for other people that REALLY ENJOY Biking, and who knows if RM did?

Just some random thoughts......
The kid's should have been home for school around 2:30-3:00pm, assuming they didnt have afterschool sports. It's a friday before Father's day weekend, he has been up since approx 5am, it just doesnt fit IMO that the first thing he wanted to do when he got home from work was go biking at this time. Especially since I presume he would be off all weekend, and had plenty of time to bike on Sat/Sun if he wanted to.

Again, if we had simple answers of whether he was a "biking enthusiast", it would answer many many questions, and shoot down many many theories.

My personal feeling is this bike thing is a complete waste of time. :banghead:

IM posted (pinned) a very touching paragraph on the RM Search Group on FB. States CUE website has the most updated information. Answers to all questions are being worked on, friends are gathering all questions and getting all answers so there is one location to look at. It will be pinned, so most recent information will be on top. May get some solid information soon. In the meantime, I'm saying a prayer.

IM posted (pinned) a very touching paragraph on the RM Search Group on FB. States CUE website has the most updated information. Answers to all questions are being worked on, friends are gathering all questions and getting all answers so there is one location to look at. It will be pinned, so most recent information will be on top. May get some solid information soon. In the meantime, I'm saying a prayer.

I just saw that as well. I'm sitting at work tearing up - it was very touching. My heart goes out to her and the family.

I was deeply touched and fully understand Ida's words. I can only imagine what she, her two children and all of their family and friends are gong through.

We can't confirm whether or not Robert had a mountain bike or if he used it at the time of his disappearance. Captain Byrnes stated that there may be a bike. No confirmation that I know of. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If a mountain bike is in fact part of this case, it points more towards Robert leaving on his own for what ever reason.

There are folding mountain bikes that would probably fit in the 2004 GTO. One might move the seat forward to get the bike out or for it to more easily fit in the back seat. This is only one of many possible explanations. Any and all possibilities should be looked into.

I was deeply touched and fully understand Ida's words. I can only imagine what she, her two children and all of their family and friends are gong through.

We can't confirm whether or not Robert had a mountain bike or if he used it at the time of his disappearance. Captain Byrnes stated that there may be a bike. No confirmation that I know of. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If a mountain bike is in fact part of this case, it points more towards Robert leaving on his own for what ever reason.

Amazon.com: Folding Mountain Bike

His wife just confirmed on the FB it was Arrow Scrap in West Babylon where he was seen last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jj123