NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a missing homeless girl who was last seen at Hempstead Lake Park.

There is some question about a possible missing bicycle and some have speculated the seat was moved to get it out of the back of the car, but just speculation, like much else.

Quite possible. Even moving the bike out from the back without removing the seat, one would probably move the seat up, especially to prevent damage (rip up back of seat). I'm assuming the vehicle was not a 4 door or a hatch back.

If he was planning to go cycling for awhile, did he tell his wife? Did he take a helmet? If he usually wore a helmet, then it is strange that he didn't take it along too. I wonder what his habits were on biking. Did he go often or seldom? Could he have been trying to sell it or let someone borrow it? Did he ever go cycling after a long day of work? I know most people can't answer these questions, but I thought I'd share my questions anyway.

Thank you Miss Diana. Your post is informative and eye opening.

Report on News12 of a body found in Hempstead Lake Park. There were technical difficulties with the report but from the little I heard before they stopped running it, badly decomposed.

I don't think this is him. I think this cadaver is of a more recent death.

<modsnip>

I don't know, like many others here, I do keep going back and forth between foul play and his voluntarily leaving. It's a very odd case. Since it looks like we can discuss the document from the FB missing page, it does sound like the car seat was pulled up as if someone shorter was driving it. At least, that's what I got from the wording; I could be wrong. A lot of those answers were unclear to me. Anyway, if that's what was meant, I started thinking about carjackings. And I hope that LE really does a thorough job processing that car.

Another thing to remember: I've only been reading this forum for several months. Most people have never seen it. When someone goes missing, most friends and family have NO idea what to do beyond calling the police and searching, maybe making flyers. It's a huge learning process for them; no one ever expects it to happen to them. So while we Websleuthy types might know all the 'right' things to do, info to remember and recount, organizations and websites to contact and get a name and face out there - the victim's family and friends are worried beyond belief and in the moment, so they might not seem to respond the way we'd like them to, or the way we think WE would. (I'm not talking about someone who seems like they don't care or are downright suspicious - that's something else altogether and I think we're often pretty good about sussing those types out.). Just something to remember. I often get caught up in research and wonder why people don't think of this or that, and then I remember that they're just average people who had something happen to them that's a totally new (and in this case, awful) situation!

Quite possible. Even moving the bike out from the back without removing the seat, one would probably move the seat up, especially to prevent damage (rip up back of seat). I'm assuming the vehicle was not a 4 door or a hatch back.

If he was planning to go cycling for awhile, did he tell his wife? Did he take a helmet? If he usually wore a helmet, then it is strange that he didn't take it along too. I wonder what his habits were on biking. Did he go often or seldom? Could he have been trying to sell it or let someone borrow it? Did he ever go cycling after a long day of work? I know most people can't answer these questions, but I thought I'd share my questions anyway.

I think it would not be difficult, especially for an electrician spending his life using tools, to take the wheels off a mountain bike to have it fit in the back seat--if the bike was even involved. So many odd things about this leaves me so perplexed. I hope he is fond safe.

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been following this thread for a few weeks now. I work a few miles from Arrow Scrap in West Babylon so decided to take a drive over in that area today around 2 pm. At that time of day, there were very few people to be seen, in fact i counted three while traveling south on Kean towards Edison.There are plenty of abandoned buildings, overgrown lots, and in general, it's quite a creepy area IMO. Does anyone know if this area has been K9 searched?
One thing that caught my attention.. A few buildings south of Arrow Scrap is an adult entertainment place called "Cherry Bombz". I am not sure if I am allowed to present a scenario, but what if Robert went to Arrow, then decided to stop there? Could this place have cameras? It would seem a place like that would have a regular crowd especially on a Friday afternoon-- has there been any interviews conducted there?

It's been over a month now and I can't believe no leads. My original thought was that he left voluntarily but now I am not so sure. The main thing that throws me off is that the police say there has been no crime committed. Another theory could he have had a pill addiction? Why was he at a scrap metal place for a small transaction? Did he meet with foul play during not the scrap metal transaction but another kind of transaction?
Was he involved in other things?? So many questions,so little answers.:moo:

Snips and Bolds by me:

When someone goes missing, most friends and family have NO idea what to do beyond calling the police and searching, maybe making flyers. It's a huge learning process for them; no one ever expects it to happen to them. So while we Websleuthy types might know all the 'right' things to do, info to remember and recount, organizations and websites to contact and get a name and face out there - the victim's family and friends are worried beyond belief and in the moment, so they might not seem to respond the way we'd like them to, or the way we think WE would. (I'm not talking about someone who seems like they don't care or are downright suspicious - that's something else altogether and I think we're often pretty good about sussing those types out.). Just something to remember. I often get caught up in research and wonder why people don't think of this or that, and then I remember that they're just average people who had something happen to them that's a totally new (and in this case, awful) situation!

Thanks Psychedelia for your post and reminder of the emotional "shock" families experience when a loved one goes suddenly missing. Through my time on WS, I have personalized thinking on - "what would my reaction, actions, steps be -if my husband, sister or child suddenly went missing?" WS has been an excellent teacher and enables regulars to be resources to others.

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been following this thread for a few weeks now.
One thing that caught my attention.. A few buildings south of Arrow Scrap is an adult entertainment place called "Cherry Bombz". I am not sure if I am allowed to present a scenario, but what if Robert went to Arrow, then decided to stop there? Could this place have cameras? It would seem a place like that would have a regular crowd especially on a Friday afternoon-- has there been any interviews conducted there?

:welcome2: Good to have you posting teamilk8 !

Appreciate your report of driving through area of interest in this case.

Hi all, this is my first post but I've been following this thread for a few weeks now. I work a few miles from Arrow Scrap in West Babylon so decided to take a drive over in that area today around 2 pm. At that time of day, there were very few people to be seen, in fact i counted three while traveling south on Kean towards Edison.There are plenty of abandoned buildings, overgrown lots, and in general, it's quite a creepy area IMO. Does anyone know if this area has been K9 searched?

Thanks for posting. I was wondering about the area and hoping to hear from a local.

My ex boss(electrician) was a NY union employee. He took the train from northern Westchester. He also told me he had an apartment in the city for "over-nights".

Heard a lot of stories from him. JMHO here, but these guys are GUYS, Blue collar, they make 6 figure + salaries and have many stories to tell :twocents:

I wanted to ask previously, Friday afternoon, I would think they go out for a beer or 2 or 3. Here where I live, northern suburbs, there's a local bar (I call it a "Beer Joint") that's loaded on Thursday and Friday early evenings. Most blue collar guys get off at 3 or 4. By 5 PM the lot is filled with pick ups and motorcycles etc.

My ex-employer shamelessly spoke of poker games and strippers as well.

Just thinking out loud. :twocents:

It's beyond my comprehension that not one person besides the people in the scrapyard saw this Man that day. Even if he left on his own, he would need to go somewhere to buy food and clothes. If he took a train, a conductor would have seen him, and there are multiple cameras on every street in New York. He simply disappeared into thin air..

Please continue here and remember the rules. You can find them right here: The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community AND don't overlook these!!!!

Victim Friendly

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civl and constructive way and ONLY IF IT IS RELEVANT TO THE CASE. Additionally, sleuthing family members that are not suspect is not allowed. Don't make random accusations or post personal information (even if it is public) like parking tickets, address, or first and last names of all their relatives and their neighbors. Also, never "bash" or attack them, or accuse them of involvement. However that does not mean that family members cannot come into discussion as the facts and issues of the case are discussed.

Social Networks

Regarding Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and other social networking or blog websites: Links may be used to direct posters to view something on a social networking page. But postings on social networking sites are not considered fact; they are rumor. Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed. Paraphrasing is okay. (Exception: If the Twitter or Facebook post belongs to a verified news station, it may be copied. But a link should still be provided.)

Also, social networking pages may only be linked if they are directly related to a case, i.e. the victim or suspect. We don't want to post to someone's mother, brother, employer, milkman, or postal carrier just because they know the main player. We also NEVER link to minor's pages (unless they are the victim). And be sure that the page actually belongs to the person being discussed. Do not link to someone if you are not 100% sure it is the correct person. And if a social networking is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

MINORS: Websleuths.com™ does not allow the naming of, or photographs of, minors (children under the age of 18) on the Site unless the child is a missing or deceased person or where law enforcement has identified the minor as a perpetrator of a crime and the minor will be tried as an adult. If a missing child is found and it is learned that such minor was the victim of child exploitation, references to the child’s name and likeness will be removed, and further posting of such information will not be allowed.

Thanks,

Cat

folks, bumping up the social media reminders. If there is an official find facebook page you can link to it and paraphrase what you are directing other posters to note but you cannot copy and paste comments or post screen caps. Thanks so much for your understanding and welcome to all new members!

It's beyond my comprehension that not one person besides the people in the scrapyard saw this Man that day. Even if he left on his own, he would need to go somewhere to buy food and clothes. If he took a train, a conductor would have seen him, and there are multiple cameras on every street in New York. He simply disappeared into thin air..

His disappearance has not exactly been front page news. He could be in NYC, going about his business and just blending in. Or anyplace else. Probably easiest in a big city to "disappear" but I feel like if he did leave on his own, he would go elsewhere. Still...I kind of think he didn't, but I keep wavering, which is weird for me.

Usually having dogs sniff the inside of the car is moot, because they know it's rob's car, so his scent will already be in it. Police dogs sniff around the vehicle to see if they can pick up a trail.

I'm new to this case so I'm very sketchy on the facts. Has it been determined that a bike is allowed on the commuter train?

Usually having dogs sniff the inside of the car is moot, because they know it's rob's car, so his scent will already be in it. Police dogs sniff around the vehicle to see if they can pick up a trail.

My understanding is that his scent wasn't picked up at the train station. If I have that right, then it does say something----unless too much time went by for an accurate scent search.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering about the area and hoping to hear from a local.

My ex boss(electrician) was a NY union employee. He took the train from northern Westchester. He also told me he had an apartment in the city for "over-nights".

Heard a lot of stories from him. JMHO here, but these guys are GUYS, Blue collar, they make 6 figure + salaries and have many stories to tell :twocents:

I wanted to ask previously, Friday afternoon, I would think they go out for a beer or 2 or 3. Here where I live, northern suburbs, there's a local bar (I call it a "Beer Joint") that's loaded on Thursday and Friday early evenings. Most blue collar guys get off at 3 or 4. By 5 PM the lot is filled with pick ups and motorcycles etc.

My ex-employer shamelessly spoke of poker games and strippers as well.

Just thinking out loud. :twocents:

I'm not in the NYC area, but I have union construction friends and some don't get involved in the after work activities such as poker games and strippers. They usually can't wait to go home (tired and burnt out). I'm sure there is a group who do participate in those activities though, especially stopping for a beer or two. I can see someone doing that from time to time, even if they don't plan on sticking around to play poker.

JMO

I just remembered my brothers car (bucket seats) would sometimes push up to the daahboard automatically. I wonder if this is what happen.

I don't know if he would stop in a bar. Its was Fathers Day weekend and he probably had alot of last minute things to do imo. But something happen because he hasn"t returned home so who knows.

I would like to help out in the search but its so hot here that I do not think I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x