NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cutting of the cell wall and steel pipe would have taken about four hours of continuous work, Jeffords said. He also said he couldn’t believe that no one heard the noise or saw the sparks when the men cut through the steel.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/12/cutting-of-steam-pipes-in-prison-break-was-professional-job-engineer/

The hole in the cell’s steel wall suggests they used a cutoff wheel, ironworker Ernesto “Ernie” Peñuelas said. But using that tool would have produced an extremely loud sound — as well as a very detectable odor.

Peñuelas demonstrated using a torch to cut open steel — a process that was much quieter and produced no odor. But a torch would require tanks of mixed gases.

http://ktla.com/2015/06/10/new-york...-inmates-suffered-panic-attack-investigators/

Wylie, when asked to describe prison contraband, said it could be items ranging from a magazine to "blades." Law enforcement sources have said they believe the inmates, who may have used electric grinders or saws to cut through the backs of their adjacent cells, would have needed multiple blades to do the job because of the amount of cutting that went on.

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Hunt-for-killers-focused-on-small-village-near-6320601.php

Going on lockdown is a huge hassle! ANd I was in a 50 inmate facility- cant imagine in a big one -- its like slowing down a machine -first we had to decide it was needed. Then that desision had to be passed around to folks on the floor. Then everyone had to be, in groups redirected back to thier sections. It requres organization, and is labor intsensive. But there are needs, food , shower,meds,medical that have to happen.

Its very unsetttling to both staff and inmates. INmates escalate, draining more staff, just a mess .........................................
And then magement tries to undo the overtime schudules get messed up for some time afterwards. Then there is anger between inmates in terms of "whom" reulsted in the lockdown, so that can simmer. Then there are lots of reports of "retailation" plans, which increases staffing problems longer.

It sounds easy just lock everyone up- but is a machine, getting everyone back from where they were when the lockdown starts requires orchestrating, inmates, staff, control room, communication between staff, dietary, etc etc Its not like a switch on or off, its more like preparing for a landing from cruise altitude!!!!

And then the machine has to get back up and rolling again, its a labor intensive, tense, time. Its far more complicated than it sounds. INmate X has to go see a doctor - but staff is short, medical emergency, a take down, who is in seclusion, what time in the shift is it, how is the next shift already set to be staffed, who called in, there is a whole bunch of luandry going, a whole unit needs shower time, all lthe guys in the yard have to get lined up counted, transported back,accounted for, whose going into overtime, who cant come in extra, who has already worked a double a really needs to go, there is much to it!!

Its not like thro everyone in their cell for 36 hours!

BBM

A "...lockdown is a huge hassle!" Are you freakin' kidding me?

Jeez, I'm wondering how huge a hassle everyone is experiencing now.

BBM

A "...lockdown is a huge hassle!" Are you freakin' kidding me?

Jeez, I'm wondering how huge a hassle everyone is experiencing now.

Sometimes the prison needs to do things even if it cost more money. Like how about putting the place on lockdown and search each and every cell.

How many other cells have holes in the walls already. How many other cells have hacksaws and sawzaws.

They will never know unless they do a prison wide overhaul check.

I have a feeling this place was a little too nonchalant over the years.

And Cumauo needs to stay quiet IMO. Heads should roll in this incident and Cumauo was plain wrong on a lot of what he has said. Someone was at fault for allowing this escape to get to this point.

And so far the handling of it has not been much better IMO.

Where is the instructions for the public? Where is the leader to tell whats going on?

What has been done?
What is going to be done?
Where do they think they are?
What is the plan?

CMON officials. Get your act together. And please Cumauo. Stay out of it for now. :)

BREAKING NEWS: Make sure y'all are sitting down. As usual, CNN is getting the jump on the big story today.

New York Prison Break: Nine Days Later, Convicted Killers are Still Out There

AND they are either in the immediate area or they're not. *GASP*

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/us/new-york-prison-break/

This is pretty much perfect. You could PM people once a day with updates of this caliber and it would help the forum not to get so backed up that people can't post. I sound like I'm being a smartypants but actually I'm pretty serious, LOL. Because that's really all the news there's been. In 10 days all we know is they're near or they're not, Joyce is nobody's role model, and the prison needs some serious re-training. Yet it's still 24/7 news.smh

CNN Interview with DA:

DA is open to speaking to Lyle

DA says no one is cleared

DA said saw the reports about murder plan, but has no comment on that

DA re borrowing the tools from contractors: No, when they were able to gain access to the bowels of the prison, they found tools that contractors had left there and/or?? were able to open the toolboxes for more tools

So...when I hear "bowels of the prison" I think of underground tunnels or pipes or such. So...how did they get THERE? When they're supposed to be locked up in their cells at night? Sounds like they had more help than just Tillie.

Mr. Cuomo said the inmates had used decoys made from sweatshirts to make it look as if they were asleep in their beds, deceiving corrections officers who check on them every two hours.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/08/nyregion/convicts-escape-prison-in-upstate-new-york.html

I was under the impression that the 10:30 bed check was the last one till 5:30. But seeing here that it was every 2 hours.

So that means they were not there at 12:30 cause the guy saw two people one calling a guitar case a little after 12:00 (midnite) and then at 2:30 they were missed and again at 4:30.

3 times they missed as it was dummy's in their beds.

Where I used to work (not a prison :) ) I would walk with a guard on occasion and they carried a clock w/paper? and would pull a key from a locked box and insert it in the clock and regisster what time they had walked by that area and all was well. I was friends with the guards were I worked :) and would also watch the cameras with them on my lunch, :) exciting stuff goes on after dark.

It's my opinion that as long as it's thought they are in the state then the state police have the lead. It's my opinion they are outside of NY. And I hope they are so the NY state police lose the lead. jmo idk

You could be right but I am sticking with the opinion that they found a small house or cabin in the woods and are just holed up until the heat dies down. Time is on their side and I think they are watching TV in someone's remote woods cabin or small house and laughing their butts off.

I think they are right there still and its going to be weeks before they make a move.

Now if the owners of the cabin decide to take a vacation there, then they may have to move earlier. I just hope they havent tied up people yet.

How many other cells have holes in the walls already. How many other cells have hacksaws and sawzaws.

Where the hole is in the cell wall supposedly this is where an air vent is located. I'd love to see a pic of the vent on and off. Maybe once they removed the vent they were able to use just a hacksaw blade and not a power tool to create the opening or maybe they were able to cut the vent off and that hole is what's behind the vent. To me this makes more sense then using a power tool inside two cells.

Where the hole is in the cell wall supposedly this is where an air vent is located. I'd love to see a pic of the vent on and off. Maybe once they removed the vent they were able to use just a hacksaw blade and not a power tool to create the opening or maybe they were able to cut the vent off and that hole is what's behind the vent. To me this makes more sense then using a power tool inside two cells.

And that might be why they spray-painted the cardboard to conceal the holes grey (air vent), not green

Re BBM

JMO

I agree that things seem very disorganized. I think the earlier post of the article about interturmoil amongst juridictions and in-fighting maybe true.

My guess is they havent had this kind of national event in a very long time and so the officials from the county, state, prison, governernor, etc are all freaking out and nobody knows exactly what to do or how to handle the media.

I do think the actual searchers are doing a great job but i think the officials who are coordinating it may be over their heads how to handle the multiple juridictions.

Which could explain why the prisoners have not been caught yet. I think the beuracracy is the problem and not the lower level manpower on the ground.

This does not sound good to me. Someone needs to take control and start giving orders of everyone.

They need to just lock tilly up and forget about her and go find the convicts. Put all efforts into finding them. Tilly can wait behind bars.

Excellent post!! I'm fearful for the searchers & civilians. The "big boys" need to get their act together!!!!!!!!!!

It amazes me that tilly was able to get the supples in that she did. She was not being checked by security that is for sure. I mean she should have been going though pat downs everyday she entered that prison, and her purse searched.

Precisely! Not to mention that guy sending stuff up the wall in a bucket from OUTSIDE the prison in broad daylight. Lax checks, if any, on what was coming into the prison. And lax bed checks too -- not just on the night of the escape, but all those nights that the duo were cutting through the pipes. Were the CO even making rounds? Wouldn't they have heard the noise?

That could be. That would sure make it easier for them.

Matt was also very artistic, drawing pictures of Oprah and showing them to the staff. They could have spray painted the cardboard and penciled in, or shaded vent lines or vent holes to make it realistic.

Wylie said there are no cameras in the bowels of the prison through which the felons fled.

Asked if that area is patrolled by prison personnel, he said: “I believe correction officers would; I’m not sure how often.”

State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision spokeswoman Linda Foglia wouldn’t comment.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...cle_ffc7a25a-d156-5132-92bf-38dc1d367dbd.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper