Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

It seems that as late as July 1975, which is very close to the time of her disappearance, SL was still displaying some signs of melancholy despite her engagement and recent graduation from college.

Those around her would not understand why she was experiencing this reaction or how to interpret it (only those who had known about the termination). Combine this with anger towards her Father from the pool party incident, and a tendency, a habit (if you will) of leaving her home to go to your parents' home when issues arose and she needed to cool off: MO, was not a stretch to see how her disappearance was viewed by some.

Great point, Epiphany! It's an "epiphany" that may explain "depressed" on the PR.

Really want someone who attended that pool party to pop in here.

BF/F's group obvi has and will remain loyal.

MMQC does not know the WC and/or Band group virtually at all. Nearly strangers.

All MMQC's and SL's time was spent with respective BF/Fs (though they spoke everyday), but SL attended WC for four years; she did not hold a job during the school year (that's 4 academic years). She had a life with others at WC. The couples did not even double-date from nearly the onset; never had been to SL's BF/F's home & SL's BF/F had never been to MMQC's home.

Wagner College/Band friendships and peer relationships (for perspective) are Key to and about Sylvia as others have already noted.

MO, SL compartmentalized her life...this would obvi include keeping her groups of friends compartmentalized.

Really want someone who attended that pool party to pop in here.

BF/F's group obvi has and will remain loyal.

MMQC does not know the WC and/or Band group virtually at all. Nearly strangers.

All MMQC's and SL's time was spent with respective BF/Fs (though they spoke everyday), but SL attended WC for four years; she did not hold a job during the school year (that's 4 academic years). She had a life with others at WC. The couples did not even double-date from nearly the onset; never had been to SL's BF/F's home & SL's BF/F had never been to MMQC's home.

Wagner College/Band friendships and peer relationships (for perspective) are Key to and about Sylvia as others have already noted.

BF/F had never been to MMQC's...until the night Sylvia disappeared-how did he know where she lived? Were their houses close to each other's? MMQC, could you weigh in here?

I only went with her to the PP clinic. Let's call him Red, took her to the procedure. Now remember we're talking 40 years ago. I'm lucky that I remember it was a VW. He I think was slightly older, can't remember 100%.

Had Red graduated from WC before joining the Navy?

Was he planning on making the Navy his career?

Was he planning to attend or going to Officer's Training School?

Ask last two questions ^^ since US military involvement about to end in 1973. War ends soon after (1975).

BF/F had never been to MMQC's...until the night Sylvia disappeared-how did he know where she lived? Were their houses close to each other's? MMQC, could you weigh in here?

bbm:
I think MMQC said she and SL were at her house on porch and BF dropped by one night, didn't get out of car, but met MMQC briefly?

He could have checked a handy phone book at a phone booth for address too...

I think MMQC said she and SL were at her house on porch and BF dropped by one night, didn't get out of car, but met MMQC briefly?

SL not on porch with MMQC the evening she disappeared.

MMQC on porch with neighborhood individuals when BF/F drove up.

SL's BF/F had never been by MMQC's home that she had been aware of.

SL's BF/F would know where MMQC lives because SL went there when SL needed to take break from her own home, etc.

Question I have is: Wonder where else SL would have gone?

Wonder where else SL went?

bbm:

Could be

MO, SL compartmentalized her life...this would obvi include keeping her groups of friends compartmentalized.

Bumping MMQC's post up:

I remembered her meeting BF/F through a friend in the band at Wagner.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - NY NY - Sylvia Alice Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #1

Wonder IF this individual ^^ was at SL's pool party?

SL may have had friend/s from WC that overlapped with BF/F's group of friends. Info could have easily traveled back to BF/F.

1st post BBY and 2nd post BBM:
This last post got me thinking about your compartmentalization theory, Epiphany. If SL met her BF/F through a friend in the band at Wagner, that may mean SL's Wagner crowd and the BF/F's crowd mixed. BF/F lived near Wagner -- Port Richmond Center. Some of the Wagner bandies could have been his HS friends, old HS bandie-buddies (HS marching band), and bandies who he had a recreational band with. Just speculating.

At first I thought this could explain why we aren't hearing from the Wagner crowd ... maybe they were more his friends than hers? But if so, I would have expected him to be at the pool party, right? I can't imagine why he wouldn't be there. I would think SL would have scheduled it around any real commitment he had ....

Need my memory refreshed again:

Did SL and her BF/F attend the same HS (though at the time they did not know each other)?

I do recall that SL and MMQC attended different HS's.

Need another refresh of memory:

Did SL and her BF/F attend the same HS (though at the time they did not know each other)?

I don't believe that it was ever stated, but I don't think they did, and additionally, BF/F was a couple of years older than Sylvia, if I am not mistaken.

Also, wonder whether MMQC's (BF/F) husband, either knew SL's BF/F or knew of him prior to SL's beginning to date him: from the neighborhood, from elementary school, from other friends?

I don't believe that it was ever stated, but I don't think they did, and additionally, BF/F was a couple of years older than Sylvia, if I am not mistaken.

Yes, couple of years older than SL (SL and BF/F would not necessarily have known ea other even if attended same HS), yet someone in the WC band in 1973 knew him well enough to introduce SL to him.

Even had she compartmentalized, others may have been fluid with their groups of friends. 1970's SI neighborhood.

Need my memory refreshed again:

It's in the engagement announcement. He went to Port Richmond HS, she to Tottenville HS.

BBM: That's what I've been thinking too, but I don't remember it being stated anywhere. Do you? I just reread the engagement announcement, after my last post, and noticed SL is referred to as a "senior biology major" (BBM) while the BF/F is referred to only as a "music education major." I wonder why the writer didn't treat them even-handedly and give the grade-level for both. Could the BF/F actually have been younger than SL? Or perhaps was he working as a private music instructor to put himself through school and so didn't start at the same time SL did (or was going part-time)?

MMQC, do you have any idea how old SL's BF/F was in relation to SL -- older? younger? Had he also graduated from college in May?

MMQC, besides yourself, were any other old friends from elementary or middle school at the August pool party? How about SL's friends from her neighborhood -- was she still close with anyone from Tottenville HS?

1st post BBY and 2nd post BBM:
This last post got me thinking about your compartmentalization theory, Epiphany. If SL met her BF/F through a friend in the band at Wagner, that may mean SL's Wagner crowd and the BF/F's crowd mixed. BF/F lived near Wagner -- Port Richmond Center. Some of the Wagner bandies could have been his HS friends, old HS bandie-buddies (HS marching band), and bandies who he had a recreational band with. Just speculating.

At first I thought this could explain why we aren't hearing from the Wagner crowd ... maybe they were more his friends than hers? But if so, I would have expected him to be at the pool party, right? I can't imagine why he wouldn't be there. I would think SL would have scheduled it around any real commitment he had ....

Maybe he didn't go because she had invited someone he didn't care for, male or female, OR maybe "red" had shown up prior to the start of the party (as someone suggested) and somehow he found out about it? Just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member