GUILTY OH - Barbara Weaver, 30, murdered in her Apple Creek home, 2 June 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, the rumor I have heard, and I live in Wooster, is that the husband had a girlfriend. Now that may point to the husband doing it so he could be with the girlfriend eventually, or the girlfriend doing it, which I doubt. Even though the Amish as a whole are peaceful, law abiding citizens, that doesn't mean there aren't a few rotten apples in the barrel.

Well, the rumor I have heard, and I live in Wooster, is that the husband had a girlfriend. Now that may point to the husband doing it so he could be with the girlfriend eventually, or the girlfriend doing it, which I doubt. Even though the Amish as a whole are peaceful, law abiding citizens, that doesn't mean there aren't a few rotten apples in the barrel.

Having lived around the Amish for years in Northern Indiana the husband having an affair would be shocking. I am sure not unheard of but wow! Maybe I shouldn't say this but, if that is the case it will come out. One thing I do know is that Amish woman like to talk...

as to the hunting and fishing store the family supposedly owned (a few links up) does anyone know the name of it? I may just know some of these people! The Millers and the Troyers are very common large families ((of which I actually know quite a few))

OT: You may well know some of my family then. I love the internet :blowkiss:

I did find out when I was doing genealogy that the families managed to stay about a step away from intermarrying. Close enuf to confuse my software program but still didn't cross the line. I don't have a clue if it's still that way though.

And I do hope Mr. Weaver isn't guilty - for the children and the community. But at least it looks like LE is investigating and hopefully they'll make an arrest soon.

Found this at "The Amish Cook from Oasis Newsfeatures"...

I don't mean to harp on this topic, but I'm still just flummoxed that the media has just dropped the story about the death of Barbara Weaver, a 30-year-old Amish mother of five in Wayne County, Ohio. No follow-up stories, just stone silence. I remember from my days when I was a reporter at a newspaper I would have been all over this story because it is so very, very, unusual and tragic. In the long Amish history in the United States there has only been one Amish man convicted of homicide, a story which was detailed in the book Crimson Stain by Jim Fisher. Murder-suicides are slightly more common among the Amish, but still rare. This case, however, appears - according to local authorities - to be a homicide. Homicides in Wayne County - Amish-involved OR non-Amish involved - are almost unheard of, so, again, I'm just scratching my head at the lack of follow-up. A source up in Wayne County is giving me some helpful background information, but I'm not going to report pure rumors. I'd like to see something official from the local authorities. Meanwhile, here is the obituary for Barbara Weaver that ran in the Amish newspaper, The Budget.

more at the link:
http://www.oasisnewsfeatures.com/new/editor/strange

daisy,
Growing up in Wayne county I completely agree with what you posted/linked above! This is so unheard of and yet there is nothing being reported on it! I wish the person who made all of those statements would have posted the background on this as it surly has some relevance to the case!

I did find out when I was doing genealogy that the families managed to stay about a step away from intermarrying. Close enuf to confuse my software program but still didn't cross the line. I don't have a clue if it's still that way though.

And I do hope Mr. Weaver isn't guilty - for the children and the community. But at least it looks like LE is investigating and hopefully they'll make an arrest soon.
yes! The Amish actually compile books of their communities yearly.. who is married to who... who had children and their names and ages, etc. Most families have these books in their homes..

Here's an article posted 12.08.09 that featured a bit about Eli Weaver/Maysville Outfitter. Its mostly about "deer checking", but I guess a change to the process in 2010 will most likely negatively affect his business.

The Amish man maneuvered his two-horse hitch around to the side of the building at the Maysville Outfitters, next to the other buggies, where he could tie his horses up. A blistering wind was blowing, and only a blanket over his lap helped to keep the cold out.

Snow covered his beard as he entered the door of the check station southeast of Apple Creek. He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket, and tipped his head in a sign of a friendly hello to those in line waiting for assistance.

"That's a long ride," he said in broken English. "Ever since the store in Mt. Eaton went out, it's a long way to come to check a deer in."

While some Amish hunters paid drivers to pick them up and take them to check stations this week, others did it the old fashioned way with real horse power, spending hours on the road in an effort to coincide with the hunting laws.

With only three deer-check stations in all of Wayne County, and Holmes County losing two of its 11 check-in spots from last year, successful hunters put some miles in this past week after shooting and tagging their deer.

It's a long-standing process that looks to have just one more season of life left.

Starting in 2010, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Division of Wildlife plans to institute electronic check-ins for deer and turkey harvests. It'll be done over the phone or computer, eliminating lots of manhours by DOW staff and thousands of volunteers across the state.

However, for someone like Eli Weaver, owner of Maysville Outfitters, the move is disappointing. Not because he's Amish and is against technology, but because being a check-in station is good for his business. It brings in hunters, and he, like a lot of the volunteers who have checked in whitetails over the years, enjoys seeing deer and hearing the hunters' stories.
That's just the stuff about EW and his business, the rest of the article's reporting on deer tracking is at:
http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4481621

Holy cow! :eek:

Problem is - there are only a certain amount of families that comprise the Amish community. Even though they keep books and trace genealogies, there are still only X number of families in the community. Therefore, whether books are kept or not, I believe the bloodlines are very crossed and almost everyone is related is one way or another, no matter how distantly they may appear to be related. With new blood in the community almost non-existent, there is no way they aren't all carrying the same bloodlines in one way or another.

This is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Arrests have been made.

WAYNE COUNTY, Ohio - Authorities in Wayne County arrested two people in connection with the shooting death of an Amish mother of five, including the victim's husband.

Police arrested 39-year-old Barbara A. Raber, of Millersburg, on suspicion of aggravated murder and 29-year-old Eli D. Weaver, of Apple Creek, on suspicion of complicity to commit murder... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31215149/

Edit: Attached are the mug shots, which can be found at the article.

Attachments

• barbara weaver's murderers.jpg
    barbara weaver's murderers.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 36
There's another little article here: http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4605541?page=0

If you go to the link there is a little video of Sheriff Maurer talking to the press.

Maurer announced that the arrests have been made and commends all who were involved in making that happen for their work. He thanked those in the community who called in tips to the investigators, and asked that if anyone has more information to please call it in.

The Sheriff said that they are keeping the family and community in their thoughts and prayers and also mentioned that while conducting the investigation they were concerned about keeping those in the community safe.

:clap:

According to the article:

Raber (woman arrested) was from Millersburg, Ohio.

Weaver (husband of deceased) was from Apple Creek, Ohio.

Google puts the distance between Millerburg and Apple Creek at 22.5 miles and about 36 or 37 minutes.

A website here says:

>>Explore the unique culture of the Amish with a vacation in central Ohio, home of the world’s largest Amish community. Enjoy beautiful scenery, visit an Amish farm, savor homemade foods and listen for the clip-clop of a buggy. Shop for handmade quilts, artwork and furniture in Millersburg, Berlin or Walnut Creek. Want city lights, too? Amish Country is within easy reach of Columbus, Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Pittsburgh.<<

Here is Apple Creek within the Amish community:

How long does it take a horse and buggy to get 22.5 miles?

For later reference...

The hunting fishing store is called ""Maysville Outfitter"

Ugh...

Unbelievably sad, again...

Here is another webpage.

So who is this Raber woman, she was 10 years older than the husband... The mugshots here are awful.

How were husband and Raber connected. Was she in the Amish community?

She doesn't have the Amish look to her to me. I found Topix forum about it and someone mentioned that the husband was having an affair with Raber. But I haven't found anything to back that up and I'm thinking that the poster was just making that assumption because I haven't seen anything about it in the articles.

I just now noticed that I made a mistake in the post that I made on the 8th about the deer hunting, it was written in December of '08, not of '09. Very sorry about that, but anyway the article mentions that Eli speaks in broken english. I'd think that that would make flirting difficult... dunno, that could be and probably is nieve.

I'm wondering if there were any eye witnesses to the crime. I believe that the Amish wake up pretty early in the morning so its possible that she was seen by someone in the community. She would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

If Eli did go over to her place for the trysts (if there were in fact trysts) he would have stuck out too, even if he didn't park the horse and buggy in her driveway.

If Raber was not Amish then what were they going to do? Were they planning on being together? Was she going to convert? Was he going to leave the community and his children behind? If that was the case then why didn't he just do that to begin with?

I wonder if either one of them turned on one another for a plea bargain. The trial should be interesting, I wonder how long it is going to be before one takes place.

It's going to be interesting to see how his community is going to react. Supportive of Eli? I suppose that there would not be one uniform reaction, but I'm thinking that they will want to see justice for Barbara. Will Eli's parents be the Amish version of the Coleman's? I shudder to think...

I just don't know what to think about this whole thing. I hope that those kids are in good hands with Barbara's family, I can't imagine what this is like for them. I'm so relieved that they will not be with that monster anymore!

She doesn't have the Amish look to her to me. I found Topix forum about it and someone mentioned that the husband was having an affair with Raber. But I haven't found anything to back that up and I'm thinking that the poster was just making that assumption because I haven't seen anything about it in the articles.

I just now noticed that I made a mistake in the post that I made on the 8th about the deer hunting, it was written in December of '08, not of '09. Very sorry about that, but anyway the article mentions that Eli speaks in broken english. I'd think that that would make flirting difficult... dunno, that could be and probably is nieve.

I'm wondering if there were any eye witnesses to the crime. I believe that the Amish wake up pretty early in the morning so its possible that she was seen by someone in the community. She would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

If Eli did go over to her place for the trysts (if there were in fact trysts) he would have stuck out too, even if he didn't park the horse and buggy in her driveway.

If Raber was not Amish then what were they going to do? Were they planning on being together? Was she going to convert? Was he going to leave the community and his children behind? If that was the case then why didn't he just do that to begin with?

I wonder if either one of them turned on one another for a plea bargain. The trial should be interesting, I wonder how long it is going to be before one takes place.

It's going to be interesting to see how his community is going to react. Supportive of Eli? I suppose that there would not be one uniform reaction, but I'm thinking that they will want to see justice for Barbara. Will Eli's parents be the Amish version of the Coleman's? I shudder to think...

I just don't know what to think about this whole thing. I hope that those kids are in good hands with Barbara's family, I can't imagine what this is like for them. I'm so relieved that they will not be with that monster anymore!

Raber is an Amish name, so her roots could be Amish, or she could be Mennonite. (She could also be a Yankee)

The Amish, as a whole, are forgiving, so they will not hold this against either the father or the girlfriend, IF they have expressed remorse for thier actions. They believe that God will right any wrongs, it's not their place to do so, or to cast judgement.

My world view just got a little dimmer when news of these arrests (and the fact that the father was in on it to some degree). What type of father lets his children find their mother dead?

I'm glad they've arrested whoever was responsible for this woman's murder. I guess Amish husbands can be ba*st*rds too. I pray for the children.

39? Geez, she must have led a hard life. Sorry, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw her picture.

I'm glad they've arrested whoever was responsible for this woman's murder. I guess Amish husbands can be ba*st*rds too. I pray for the children.

39? Geez, she must have led a hard life. Sorry, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw her picture.

That's what made me think she was former Amish or current Mennonite -- they don't use any makeup.

Maurer declined to talk about the relationship between Eli Weaver, 29, and Raber, or a motive in the murder until formal charges are filed. He said deputies have a "confession to stand by," but declined to say from whom.
http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4605609

In the comments under above article:

Posted by luvinit 7 minutes ago
"lets not forget to pray for Barb Rabers family, she and her husband have three innocent boys, ages 3-9.and lots of friends in totally disbelief we just dont want to belief such a horrible crime.to think what these families will be going thru in the next years, not just days!!"

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back