OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but if it was in the city he would be found. It's pretty hard to hide a body, where are you gonna hide a body, especially in the city?
Considering that you're talking about a grown man and a very narrow time window. I believe he was taken somewhere. If he was killed, there is no way that his remains are in Columbus.
My recollection of Columbus is that there is a city area and surrounding neighborhoods still considered Columbus. It's been a while, so I could be wrong or it may have changed. I now am in Los Angeles, which has a "proper" downtown area but comprises mostly a huge swath of neighborhoods.

In my opinion, easy to hide a body here or there, especially in the middle of the night. Could have been put in a dumpster and taken unknowingly to a landfill. Could have been thrown in the Scioto*or Olentangy Rivers, both in Columbus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before:

Did detectives interview the two women Brian was seen speaking to at 01:55am? If yes, what can they recall about the conversation? Was that when he said he wants to go talk to a member of the band inside the bar?

Did detectives interview the two women Brian was seen speaking to at 01:55am? If yes, what can they recall about the conversation? Was that when he said he wants to go talk to a member of the band inside the bar?

Yes, the two women were questioned and cleared as suspects. I am not sure it is publicly known what their testimony was about that night when they were seen talking to Brian prior to his disappearance. I know they were acquaintances of Brian and he had apparently stopped by to chat, I am not aware of anything beyond that. The content of their exchange is not known.

Clint was the one who said that Brian had mentioned his intentions regarding talking to the band. As for the two women, like I mentioned in my post above, the content of their exchange with Brian is not known.

You may be onto something. If Brian was killed in the bar, whoever did it (or their accomplice) could put his body somewhere and then dispose of him later... They could put him in a large container, trashcan or something else and then could have loaded a truck waiting for them outside and just take off... BAM! No evidence of Brian anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cadaver dogs would have picked up the scent, so I doubt he was killed in the bar.

The cadaver dogs would have picked up the scent, so I doubt he was killed in the bar.

Yes, that's a good point and has been brought up before. Even if he was killed inside, dogs aren't always accurate, so there is a possibility of error.

Also, keep in mind that there doesn't have to be blood for someone to be dead. If was was beaten or struck with an object resulting in a closed trauma leading to internal bleeding, etc, then I could be confident to say that dogs wouldn't necessarily pick up a scent. But then again, I personally believe that chances are slim that Brian as killed in the bar.

Yes, the two women were questioned and cleared as suspects. I am not sure it is publicly known what their testimony was about that night when they were seen talking to Brian prior to his disappearance. I know they were acquaintances of Brian and he had apparently stopped by to chat, I am not aware of anything beyond that. The content of their exchange is not known.

He told them he was going to talk to the band

The cadaver dogs did sort of indicate in the construction area but it wasn't enough to say for sure. Cadaver dogs aren't perfect. They walked right past Elisa Lam's corpse

Count me among those who feel Brian left the same way he came in, but wasn't detected by cameras. Also count me in on the theory that Clint knows more than he's said. IMO, whoever did this is keeping their mouths shut because they know (almost) everyone seems to think Brian disappeared *inside* the club. Really hope this one gets solved someday. Maybe they'll build a new apartment complex in Columbus and unearth bones. Anything to give the family answers.

Are the police just lying then for some reason? The videos were public for quite awhile

I really appreciate your input, PrinceofPop. Just wondering if there's any way you could use the "reply with quote" feature so it would be easier to know what you're referring to. Specifically here, what are you referring to that was on the floor below? Thanks so much! :)

Sorry working on it. Site doesn't work well with my iPhone for some reason. Thanks for letting me know :)

The construction exit was on the floor below is what I think I meant

Just think, when he was outside talking to the two girls, maybe his intended purpose was to get a look at the construction elevator door and to surveil the area in preparation for his exit. From what I could tell in the video, wasn't the construction elevator door just to the left of the door to the bar ? (if one is facing the bar from the escalator). Wouldn't that door have been very near to where Brian was standing when he was last seen on the video? If that was the case, one would assume that door was left unlocked and he knew this. JMO

I was under the impression the construction lift and area was in the kitchen and that the area in front of the bar was under surveillance but the exit on the ground floor did not directly have a camera on it but walking further in another direction there were other cameras.

That is one of the worst things about this case. We don't even have a good read on the exact layout especially of where the construction area was

Are the police just lying then for some reason? The videos were public for quite awhile
I don't think they're lying at all. I think they just missed him. Also, as someone who reviews security camera footage as part of my job, I can say with certainty that the footage does jump/skip. A person doesn't show up at first, but then does.

I don't think they're lying at all. I think they just missed him. Also, as someone who reviews security camera footage as part of my job, I can say with certainty that the footage does jump/skip. A person doesn't show up at first, but then does.

Not that I'm doubting your experience in the matter of surveillance, but I feel that it's too convenient that the person they happened to miss on tape is the same one that disappears forever. I think that Brian was not caught on camera because he simply did not go out that way. Whether he made it out at all is another story, that I believe is possible, but I strongly think that the construction exit played a role in it one way or another

Not that I'm doubting your experience in the matter of surveillance, but I feel that it's too convenient that the person they happened to miss on tape is the same one that disappears forever. I think that Brian was not caught on camera because he simply did not go out that way. Whether he made it out at all is another story, that I believe is possible, but I strongly think that the construction exit played a role in it one way or another
I don't have experience in "surveillance." I simply have to review security footage on occasion for various reasons.

I've followed Brian's case since it happened and have been a member of Brian's threads for a long time. Last I knew, Brian was still missing. But since some folks seem to have the case figured out and don't appear to have room for alternate opinions on what may have happened, I'll leave you to it. Might want to let LE know there's no need to continue investigating.

I don't have experience in "surveillance." I simply have to review security footage on occasion for various reasons.

I've followed Brian's case since it happened and have been a member of Brian's threads for a long time. Last I knew, Brian was still missing. But since some folks seem to have the case figured out and don't appear to have room for alternate opinions on what may have happened, I'll leave you to it. Might want to let LE know there's no need to continue investigating.

Jamie,

Can you share with us your knowledge about security cameras with regard to how much time could lapse between frame-shots that would allow someone to leave undetected? How much would this time interval vary by camera make and model?

Satch

Hope you keep posting, i think that especially in cases that seemingly make no sense, a variety of perspectives are better than just a few, besides, i like your moniker!

I have to agree with you. Matthew, although I remain open to all possibilities.

I don't understand how one can be "stealthy" on camera. I think if he was missed, we would have figured it out by now. I am sure that footage has been reviewed many, many times by people who have expertise and know what they're looking for. I do also believe that it's extremely strange that the person who goes missing is also not seen on camera and I can't make myself to believe that it happened by chance. Maybe... but that's not my gut feeling.

I have wondered if they always used it as a bit of misleading information to weed out bad tips. I think the search of the tapes was through and he wasn't on them but I can see a few ways he possibly got out without being seen or he really was the guy on the video the next day.

If we knew where the construction area really was I think the band may well have used the lift to get out their equipment and he went with them.

I have wondered if they always used it as a bit of misleading information to weed out bad tips. I think the search of the tapes was through and he wasn't on them but I can see a few ways he possibly got out without being seen or he really was the guy on the video the next day.

If we knew where the construction area really was I think the band may well have used the lift to get out their equipment and he went with them.

Well, according to the band members, they had no recollection of having met Brian that night.

Yes, it is true that we don't know the extent of the surveillance footage investigation. I really don't understand why it would matter to Brian whether he is seen in camera or not. If he decided to disappear, then what is the significance of not being seen on camera? Those are two thoughts I am simply not able to connect.

I think not being seen on camera is because he took an exit that didn't have one. I don't believe it was necessarily a deliberate decision on Brian's part, if he left the bar unseen. He could have been drunk and felt adventurous, so he went exploring and wandered off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member