OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
never did see a reply to my question about what happened to Lexi ... anyone know? Dear thing ... it makes me SO sad for her.

My ex boyfriend was classmates with both of them and I helped with the initial searching. He still keeps me updated on anything he hears. He said she's doing well and has had positive things happen in her life (I don't want to give too much information for her privacy).

geojeffrey,

I did not realize this is thread #2 of this series. I only looked over the second thread so if I raise any points that were in the first, my apologies.

Based on your summary of the known facts, Clint would be on a short list of suspects and any suspect (guilty or not) with half a brain avoids a polygraph.

Moving beyond the issue of the polygraph - face it, Clint is never going to submit to it - we have these scenarios. 1. Clint knows nothing at all 2. he knows who did it and is not talking 3. he participated in some manner in a murder conspiracy or 4. he does not KNOW what happened to Brian but has his own suspicions.

Clint has claimed in statements to the police that he falls into scenario 1.

Scenario 2 - If he merely witnessed something I would think a friend would want some justice for a deceased friend. However, I don't know the laws in OH but I doubt it is a crime to keep quiet if you witness a crime. If the perps knew Clint saw something, you would think they would want to silence him.

Scenario 3. Clint was somehow involved in a murder conspiracy. I say conspiracy since if Brian met foul play inside the bar, then there were others involved. We are not talking about John Gotti who at the snap of a finger can order rub outs. At best we have a couple of college kids who may have gone from each other's A-list to the s--t list. I seriously doubt that anyone killed Brian on Clint's behalf. So if Brian was murdered, I don't think Clint was a co-conspirator in the classic sense.

This leaves us with scenario 4. The fact Clint may have his hunches about who did it (like many people here do) but does not actually KNOW anything. For whatever reason he chooses not to share his hunches with the cops for fear of collateral consequences.

All told I think #4 is probably what transpired here.

I do have a question or two that maybe someone here knows the answer to.

1. does anyone know if the cops ever looked for any crime scene evidence in the dumpster?

Also, I see the place is a restaurant so there are probably loads of knives in the kitchen. Being a restaurant:

2. did the police ever look for crime scene evidence in a walk in refrigerator or freezer (assuming they existed at the place)?

Similar to Webrocket, I see we are left with the following scenarios:

1. Clint is innocent: he knows nothing about what happened. Even though Brian is gone and probably the victim of murder, Clint did not want to risk being pulled into an investigation.

2. Clint knows that Brian left on his own accord. Despite the suffering of Brian's family and Lexi and despite the waste of police resources, he will keep his promise to Brian. Even if this promise means that he lives under a cloud of suspicion.

3. Clint has knowledge of illegal/risky activities that likely lead to Brian's demise (drug usage/overdose, drug purchasing etc) but he does not want to admit his association with these activities.

4. Brian died as a result of a fight with Clint. Probably an unplanned crime of passion or anger. Clint did not mean to cause injury, but things got out of hand...

Blondee--

What did your ex-boyfriend believe happenned?

Thanks for any insight or information.

I do NOT believe that Brian voluntarily disappeared and that he is almost certainly dead.

If Clint accidentally caused Brian's death, where did this occur if Brian is not seen leaving the bar? If what you describe happened inside the bar, then others would have seen it so I don't think that transpired.

geojeffrey - did you know Brian?

Webrocket, you bring up some good points, but there are some additional things to consider.

The police have a job to do--and that is to investigate what happenned to Brian. They also have full access to the entire case file, if they are selective about who they polygraph, this would be due to evidence and information that everyone else is not privy to. Their 'selections' are not random.

IF Clint knows about some illicit drug activity that took place that night, that is NO REASON to avoid the polygraph. Most police officers are not stupid, they know that college kids experiment with drugs. AND frankly, Clint would not be imperiled by this admission, especially if he provided the information he has on the condition that the police take no action as a result of his self incrimination (related to drugs). These arranagements are made all the time; very common and perfunctory. CLint's lawyer could EASILY facilitate this.

Boohoo that Clint is inconvenienced by the polygraph, Brian's family has a right to know what happenned to him!! Consider if you will, the unethical nature of denying closure to Brian's family. Also, as we all know, police resources are very scarce. Clint's refusal to take the polygraph is hindering the investigation. If he really is innocent, he is doing himself and everyone else a grave disservice.

Rememember, Brian was abducted and is presumed dead. Is this not a serious situation? In dire circumstances such as these noble and extreme actions are required, with friends like Clint, who needs enemies??
Bolded by me (BBM) My exact sentiments.

Excellent posts by the way.

geojeffrey,

I did not realize this is thread #2 of this series. I only looked over the second thread so if I raise any points that were in the first, my apologies.

Based on your summary of the known facts, Clint would be on a short list of suspects and any suspect (guilty or not) with half a brain avoids a polygraph.

Moving beyond the issue of the polygraph - face it, Clint is never going to submit to it - we have these scenarios. 1. Clint knows nothing at all 2. he knows who did it and is not talking 3. he participated in some manner in a murder conspiracy or 4. he does not KNOW what happened to Brian but has his own suspicions.

Clint has claimed in statements to the police that he falls into scenario 1.

Scenario 2 - If he merely witnessed something I would think a friend would want some justice for a deceased friend. However, I don't know the laws in OH but I doubt it is a crime to keep quiet if you witness a crime. If the perps knew Clint saw something, you would think they would want to silence him.

Scenario 3. Clint was somehow involved in a murder conspiracy. I say conspiracy since if Brian met foul play inside the bar, then there were others involved. We are not talking about John Gotti who at the snap of a finger can order rub outs. At best we have a couple of college kids who may have gone from each other's A-list to the s--t list. I seriously doubt that anyone killed Brian on Clint's behalf. So if Brian was murdered, I don't think Clint was a co-conspirator in the classic sense.

This leaves us with scenario 4. The fact Clint may have his hunches about who did it (like many people here do) but does not actually KNOW anything. For whatever reason he chooses not to share his hunches with the cops for fear of collateral consequences.

All told I think #4 is probably what transpired here.

I do have a question or two that maybe someone here knows the answer to.

1. does anyone know if the cops ever looked for any crime scene evidence in the dumpster?

Also, I see the place is a restaurant so there are probably loads of knives in the kitchen. Being a restaurant:

2. did the police ever look for crime scene evidence in a walk in refrigerator or freezer (assuming they existed at the place)?
I too would like to know the answer to question #1.
I used to think Brian was in the Olentangy River, however, I'm beginning to think more a landfill site. My apology for too much detail.

I just looked over some other websites that discuss this case and his girlfriend said she was present when the cops looked at dumpsters, but no date was mentioned as to when this occurred.

If Brian did not exit the bar, then he went back in. I have not seen any reference to LE having interviewed the bar staff on whether they saw him come back in. Of course it is easy for them to say the bar was closed but that was for selling drinks. Is it possible that there was other business going on at the bar after hours? And LE would accept their statements hook, line and sinker that he never came back in?

Hmm.

I used to think Brian was in the Olentangy River, however, I'm beginning to think more a landfill site.

Wasn't there construction going on around the area where Brian was last seen? I believe construction trash would have to go to a special landfill that only accepts construction materials.

I believe regular trash from a business or home would go to a regular landfill.

As for the Olentangy River, the currents underneath the river are extremely strong. With the low level dams along the Olentangy River, it causes the current underneath the river to act as a drowning machine.

I'm not saying that this is the case. However, could it be possible that there are debris of some sort at the bottom of the river which the strong current could snag someone and cause them to be stuck in the river?

Blondee--

What did your ex-boyfriend believe happenned?

Thanks for any insight or information.

Well we've had loooong discussions about this, and basically go back to two scenarios.

1 - There was a drug overdose and either a) Brian fell into the river somewhere near campus (it's a long walk though and I have a hard time believing campus police wouldn't have stopped him if he appeared really out of it) or b) he was in a car with people he kind of knew and accidentally died of a drug overdose. The body was then disposed of.

2 - Someone was mad at Brian in the bar. Who? Who knows. Clint probably has his hunches who it is, if he doesn't outright know. Brian tried to get out of the bar a back way (maybe through the construction area, maybe through the back door of the bar..there is one that leads down to the street level). Somehow these people found him (probably when he was walking towards his apartment), stuffed him in a car, and Brian was killed.

However, in both scenarios we think it was an "accidental" death. If someone took him, we think it was to beat him up, not kill him. We also think the people that disposed of his body have just gotten really lucky that nobody has talked, information hasn't leaked and that the body has been found--I don't think it was organized crime or really "bright" criminals who did this.

Similar to Webrocket, I see we are left with the following scenarios:

1. Clint is innocent: he knows nothing about what happened. Even though Brian is gone and probably the victim of murder, Clint did not want to risk being pulled into an investigation.

2. Clint knows that Brian left on his own accord. Despite the suffering of Brian's family and Lexi and despite the waste of police resources, he will keep his promise to Brian. Even if this promise means that he lives under a cloud of suspicion.

3. Clint has knowledge of illegal/risky activities that likely lead to Brian's demise (drug usage/overdose, drug purchasing etc) but he does not want to admit his association with these activities.

4. Brian died as a result of a fight with Clint. Probably an unplanned crime of passion or anger. Clint did not mean to cause injury, but things got out of hand...

I believe #3 or #4 .this isnt just my opinion brians brother and girlfriend also have suspected clints involvement .brians brother stated that once the police got invoved clint walked away and got a lawyer. Now what kind of friend would do something like that,if they have nothing to hide? I believe some opportunities to find evidence were lost in the beginning, clints car for example,if he was responsible, i would bet there would have been clues there. the problem is too much time passed from the time he dissapeared to the time he was reported missing.Anyone could have had plenty of time to get rid of his body,and too clean up evidence. hopfully 2010 will bring answers.

Coward or not he may have NOTHING to do with Brian's disappearance but does not want to get dragged into something else by police questioning.

Agreeing to submit to a polygraph NEVER benefits the person being polygraphed, guilty or innocent. The results prove nothing, are inadmissible in court and pathological liars can pass them with flying colors.

I agree he may have nothing to do with Brian's disappearance..but why won't he take a polygraph and help the police all he can? I know polygraphs are not totally reliable, but I would cooperate with anything the police asked me to do if it were my best friend that disappeared. I would take 100 polygraphs and I would be available to answer questions at any time, no matter how long the investigation went on. I would also be calling the police on a monthly basis to check on progress. I would not lawyer up and refuse the lie detector. Like I said, Clint may have had nothing to do with this, but behavior like his only tends to cast further suspicion.

bump.gif

Bumping for Brian and family....

I had an outpatient surgery done at OSU Medical Center today...there were some med students there and I thought about Brian so much....

Webrocket--

Clint seems like an appropriate investigative target (to me) because:

-Clint WAS the last known person to see Brian alive.
-Clint and Brian had been roommates in previous years.
-Clint and Brian had ocasional disagreements/problems.
-Brian's girlfriend was NOT happy about them socializing with each other.
-Brian was punched in the face at a crowded party. Brian suspected Clint had arranged the assault.
-Clint had little allibi for the weekend in question, other than he was alone at his apartment.
-Clint showed little concern for his missing friend.
-Clint made a few derogatory comments about Brian to the media.
-Brian's father talked with Clint several times in the week following the disappearance. His father had known Clint for years and he did not believe Clint was answering the questions fully or honestly.
-Clint halted all communciations with Brian's father, just a couple weeks later.

This is a most interesting list. Some of this is mainstream information, but I am very interested in the notion that Brian was assaulted at a party and suspected Blint of arranging it. When did this happen? And why would Brian hang out with Clint after that? And why was Brian's girlfriend "not happy" with him hanging out with Clint? (These two points might be connected.)

Cambria, hope you are doing well after your surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7