Found Deceased OH - Cheryl Coker, 46, Riverside, 2 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely that this is foul play. She was incredibly close to her daughters and grandchild, involved in their lives and activities. Very close to her mother, who by the way, lives almost in view of where the car was parked. Why would someone pay the money to hire an attorney and file for divorce and then leave two weeks later with the divorce unfinished? Wouldn't you just save the money, keep the cash for your "escape"? Why would she wait until the morning after her daughter returns from a trip instead of leaving while she was gone with her dad? She could have had a serious head start in getting away, if that was her plan.

I agree completely that this is foul play. She was incredibly close to her daughters and grandchild, involved in their lives and activities. Very close to her mother, who by the way, lives almost in view of where the car was parked. Why would someone pay the money to hire an attorney and file for divorce and then leave two weeks later with the divorce unfinished? Wouldn't you just save the money, keep the cash for your "escape"? Why would she wait until the morning after her daughter returns from a trip instead of leaving while she was gone with her dad? She could have had a serious head start in getting away, if that was her plan.
For that matter, why would Cheryl place her car within her poor mother's view? That is absolutely tormenting, in my opinion. That just doesn't sound like some a loving daughter would do, know what I mean?
I would ask if it was possible that she was going to go and visit her Mom, but I am assuming that parking at Clancy's was a bit further away than the Mom's place- it wouldn't make any sense to park her car there. Even if she was going to go to Kroger's afterwards, she could have parked there instead.

No, it would make no sense. The street her mom is on is perpendicular to the street that runs in front of the shopping center and parking lot. If you want to see on Google maps, it's Twinning Drive. Her house is just a few houses down the street from the Burkhardt entrance and would have taken less than 5 mins to walk from where the car was parked, including waiting for traffic to cross. But you would never park in the lot and then walk to mom's house. Just pull in her driveway instead.

No, it would make no sense. The street her mom is on is perpendicular to the street that runs in front of the shopping center and parking lot. If you want to see on Google maps, it's Twinning Drive. Her house is just a few houses down the street from the Burkhardt entrance and would have taken less than 5 mins to walk from where the car was parked, including waiting for traffic to cross. But you would never park in the lot and then walk to mom's house. Just pull in her driveway instead.
This sounds very suspicious to me. I just don't picture Cheryl doing this, tormenting her mother like that, by parking her car within her view.

I wonder, if the daughter hadn't traced her phone, just how long her car would have been there without detection? This sounds to me, if foul play is involved at all, that someone was trying to hurt someone close to Cheryl by parking the car there- her own mother. Right after she dropped her daughter off at school. She was home a matter of how many minutes? I wonder if Cheryl was upset and said she wanted to go to her mother's house after work or something along those lines, but didn't get a chance to?

I wonder, did Cheryl call anyone before she left the house or text someone? A friend, co worker, etc? So, technically, the last person to see her alive was her daughter, when she dropped her off at school.

Other than the neighbor's account of seeing both cars in the driveway, was there anyone else that saw Cheryl drive down her street to go home? I am just wondering if perhaps the neighbor confused the time, saw both cars there before she drove her daughter to school, and didn't go home after. Also, I forget exactly when she was reported missing, I need to look that up. I know it was said that her car was driven 8-9 minutes away from her home, but when was she reported missing? It's making me think that the neighbor did see both cars in the driveway, but before she drove her daughter to school. I could be wrong, though. Going to look up the time she was reported missing now.

EDITED TO ADD- I just saw that her car wasn't found until the following night? How would the neighbor know for a fact that Cheryl made it home after dropping her daughter off at school? I don't think she made it home at all!

EDITED TO ADD- I just saw that her car wasn't found until the following night? How would the neighbor know for a fact that Cheryl made it home after dropping her daughter off at school? I don't think she made it home at all!

There was a statement from the police stating they believe Cheryl made it home after dropping her daughter off at school (here). It doesn't necessarily say it's because of a statement from the neighbor, but I wouldn't find it hard to believe if a neighbor recalls seeing her the previous day either way. There could be many reasons why they believe that. Honestly I think either LE has no idea what's going on because they dropped the ball in thinking she left voluntarily and they don't have experience with finding missing people, or they are onto something.

...it's Twinning Drive. Her house is just a few houses down the street from the Burkhardt entrance and would have taken less than 5 mins to walk from where the car was parked, including waiting for traffic to cross. But you would never park in the lot and then walk to mom's house. Just pull in her driveway instead.

tb24oh is correct. I used to live on Twinning Drive myself actually. My mom moved to Travis Drive, just a minute down the street from Twinning. I could see the Kroger shopping center from the driveway of my house on Twinning. It wouldn't make any sense at all for Cheryl to park in the Kroger lot if she was going to visit her mother. There's plenty of parking on Twinning either in driveways or on the side of the street. Seeing as how her car was left right in front of Clancy's tells me that it could have possibly been somebody Cheryl knew and they parked the car in the lot in hopes it would eventually be found since the lot is so close to hers and her mother's homes. It's just too circumstantial to be a random person in this case.

There was a statement from the police stating they believe Cheryl made it home after dropping her daughter off at school (here).

Cheryl's neighbor stated she was getting ready to leave for work in the morning and saw Cheryl's car in the driveway on her way to her car. She claims she went inside to grab something she had forgotten and on her way out Cheryl's car was gone. After that time is when Cheryl's car would have been gone for around an hour and then parked in front of Clancy's. People say her timeline matches up with the time Cheryl would have gotten home from dropping her daughter off at Stebbins and the time the neighbor was leaving to go to work. Whether this is true information or not, police are considering it, but are not taking it as concrete evidence at this time.

<modsnip - discussing fb comments>. You wouldn't think a small city like Dayton could be so bad but it really is. It's worse than how the news sites and websites describe it. I don't feel safe walking around outside at night here and haven't felt safe outside since I was a kid. There is definitely more to this than what the police are giving us and I wish they'd stop ripping us around. Their claims about Cheryl is all bs and it doesn't ease anyone's mind over here whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post removed>
tb24oh is correct. I used to live on Twinning Drive myself actually. My mom moved to Travis Drive, just a minute down the street from Twinning. I could see the Kroger shopping center from the driveway of my house on Twinning. It wouldn't make any sense at all for Cheryl to park in the Kroger lot if she was going to visit her mother. There's plenty of parking on Twinning either in driveways or on the side of the street. Seeing as how her car was left right in front of Clancy's tells me that it could have possibly been somebody Cheryl knew and they parked the car in the lot in hopes it would eventually be found since the lot is so close to hers and her mother's homes. It's just too circumstantial to be a random person in this case.

Cheryl's neighbor stated she was getting ready to leave for work in the morning and saw Cheryl's car in the driveway on her way to her car. She claims she went inside to grab something she had forgotten and on her way out Cheryl's car was gone. After that time is when Cheryl's car would have been gone for around an hour and then parked in front of Clancy's. People say her timeline matches up with the time Cheryl would have gotten home from dropping her daughter off at Stebbins and the time the neighbor was leaving to go to work. Whether this is true information or not, police are considering it, but are not taking it as concrete evidence at this time.

<modsnip - discussing fb comments>. You wouldn't think a small city like Dayton could be so bad but it really is. It's worse than how the news sites and websites describe it. I don't feel safe walking around outside at night here and haven't felt safe outside since I was a kid. There is definitely more to this than what the police are giving us and I wish they'd stop ripping us around. Their claims about Cheryl is all bs and it doesn't ease anyone's mind over here whatsoever.

Just joined and there is one thing that seems to be constant here that I want to address. The police do not owe anyone but the family any information like some on here are clamoring for. They are conducting an investigation to find a missing person not related to most if not all people playing amateur sleuth. You need to respect that and when and if they release information to the public that's when they feel it to be an appropriate time to do so. While it is interesting to see what everyone is thinking and at times get real information regarding this case, for the most part people are making serious accusations or theories about an innocent as of now man, her husband.

What can they really do about naming or charging someone until they find her? The Riverside PD and other Ohio LE agencies have really been putting a lot into this case. They need to find her. It's why they are pleading for help. Look at Danielle Stislicki case in Michigan.

<modsnip - discussing facebook content>

Just joined and there is one thing that seems to be constant here that I want to address. The police do not owe anyone but the family any information like some on here are clamoring for. They are conducting an investigation to find a missing person not related to most if not all people playing amateur sleuth. You need to respect that and when and if they release information to the public that's when they feel it to be an appropriate time to do so. While it is interesting to see what everyone is thinking and at times get real information regarding this case, for the most part people are making serious accusations or theories about an innocent as of now man, her husband.
And everything you've said here is absolutely correct. Everything I've posted so far should be taken as a local's point of view and also anything I've posted I've stated to not automatically accuse anyone. As I've said already, the husband is as of right now not a suspect and is proclaimed innocent. <modsnip - n0t victim friendly>. But I do know for a fact the police have absolutely nothing to give to the family and I know this because they're pretty public with updating the locals on what's going on. We're a pretty tight-nit community and we try to help each other here. Her family members try to update everyone on any small change or clue in hopes someone could have some information that could help them solve what happened to Cheryl. As of right now there is nothing. The family members are obviously restless and are putting up as much as they can to bring Cheryl home.

A quick edit- I know the police do not owe anyone other than the family anything. But I just wanted to make it clear that when I said "I wish the police would stop ripping us around" I meant that as a general statement. I've said Dayton is a rather dangerous place to live, a lot happens here and the police don't like to issue many public awareness warnings for even the simplest things, such as Be On The Lookout (BOTL) or anything like that. Apparently there was one for Cheryl and we didn't even know about it. Just wanted to clear that bit up.

<modsnip - not victim friendly> Statements by police were that he was not a suspect "at this time". If you read many cases here on websleuths that is almost routine. I mentioned Danielle Stislicki case on here. There are 14 threads on her case. She has been missing 2 yrs. Everyone following was certain of one person responsible including police but he was not named for more than a year. They still have not charged him and have said nothing of the evidence against him. They dont have Danielle to say he murdered her.
In Cheryl's case they said also there is no evidence of kidnapping or abduction. That referred to where her car was found. I believe they said this due to many people on the FB groups saying they were concerned for their safety thinking there was someone on the loose trying to abduct women.
<modsnip - not victim friendly>. They are working this and continually asking for the public's help.

<modsnip - not victim friendly> Statements by police were that he was not a suspect "at this time".
AggieLou, you're correct. <modsnip - referenced snipped part of quoted post>

I am hoping with the family starting to provide more information, it will help the police find some more things to go over with the husband that may provide more clues or give them some thing to at least go on. I'm thinking of Cheryl every day and I didn't even know the lady. The story is just too close to home for me and with the way it's going, it just bothers me. I just hope wherever she is, she's safe and will come home to her family. If anything else happens locally I'll continue to post updates and information here. Thank you all for reading my comments

Maybe you are confused about the purpose of the forum.... it's thousands of people playing amateur sleuths. Hence the name. No one is asking for special privileges from the police. But locals have the right to know if they should be worried about their own safety or that of their loved ones, or if the police don't believe it was a random act.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), just under half of all female homicide victims are killed by their male partners. <modsnip - not victim friendly>

Dateline has done a story on Cheryl missing:

Tuesday, October 2 was just like any other weekday for 46-year-old Cheryl Coker. She woke up and dropped her youngest daughter off at school in Riverside, Ohio according to her nephew Matthew Carroll.

“Cheryl is very big on family. She's probably the most dedicated parent to her kids and granddaughter that I've ever seen,” Matthew told Dateline about his aunt, who has one daughter in school and one who is an adult.

Detective Travis Abney of the Riverside Police Department told Dateline that police have evidence to believe that after she dropped her daughter off at school at approximately 7:30 a.m., Cheryl returned home...."

Ohio mother Cheryl Coker disappeared after dropping daughter off at school

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

Dateline has a new story on their site.
Ohio mother Cheryl Coker disappeared after dropping daughter off at school

Detective Travis Abney of the Riverside Police Department told Dateline that police have evidence to believe that after she dropped her daughter off at school at approximately 7:30 a.m., Cheryl returned home.

Cheryl works as a crash technician and her employer, KLD Associates, is flexible about letting her work from home, Matthew told Dateline, so it wouldn’t be unusual for her to go home instead of to work.

That day, however, nobody was able to contact Cheryl. She did not show up for work at the office or do any work from home, Matthew told Dateline. Her family became worried and posted on social media trying to figure out where she might be.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
Unfortunately, unless Cheryl's sister-in-law were to join and become a verified insider it all ends up off limits. A family run Find Page on Facebook would be fine in many cases but all there seems to be is closed groups and anything from those would be off limits as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member