GUILTY OH - Elaina Steinfurth, 17 months, Toledo, 2 Jun 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would take and hide this child for this group of people? I don't think anyone would, at least not anyone who was not already there at the house and presumably, LE has made sure of their close contacts. No one, IMO, is going to take a hurt baby and then possibly be held responsible if she dies. I fear she was already dead and that several people knew it, but maybe only one knows exactly where she is. So much like Haleigh Cummings, to me.

I was going to post exactly the same comment. Unfortunately, they are now looking for a body. Lets be realistic, I hope it doesn't end like Casey Anthony or all the others who never even did jail time.

It worked for one so now everyone is using the kidnapping story - sure, during the day in houses full of people... must be aliens!!!!

This woman had to have very low self esteem, to be kicked to the curb and crawl back to a filthy house for a guy who wanted neither her nor her kids.

Sad, sad

Thanks for doing all that transcribing ACR! Something about Angela's dad's comments doesn't ring quite true to me. I could be wrong but I feel like he knows Elaina is dead so he's prioritizing not losing his daughter too over telling everything he knows. I just hope he was more forthcoming with LE. I think that him and JK likely have all the answers but neither is willing to give up their child in order to share them. The fact that there is a missing child at the center of this and people are still lying to protect the very adults that failed her baffles me. I love my boys more than anything but there is no way I could cover for them if they ever hurt an innocent child. Morals and common sense are clearly not important to this group. I hope that little Kylee will never be subjected to their brand of crazy again.

Thanks for doing all that transcribing ACR! Something about Angela's dad's comments doesn't ring quite true to me. I could be wrong but I feel like he knows Elaina is dead so he's prioritizing not losing his daughter too over telling everything he knows. I just hope he was more forthcoming with LE. I think that him and JK likely have all the answers but neither is willing to give up their child in order to share them. The fact that there is a missing child at the center of this and people are still lying to protect the very adults that failed her baffles me. I love my boys more than anything but there is no way I could cover for them if they ever hurt an innocent child. Morals and common sense are clearly not important to this group. I hope that little Kylee will never be subjected to their brand of crazy again.

I didn't get the feeling that Angela's father knows more than he's telling but I do get the feeling that he wants to believe what Angela is telling him. I don't think he wants to believe that she would allow her own daughter, his granddaughter to be seriously injured and not go for help. No parent wants to believe that. He wants to believe her story that she kept her mouth shut because her life was threatened.

Interesting is that even after Angela told her father that Steven dropped the baby, did the grandfather wonder where the other grandchild, the 4 year old when this happened?

The question I have is this, if Steve was not responsible for any of the injuries and Angela is just pointing the finger to save her own butt, then how did the child get out of the house and out of sight since Angela has no transportation? Why would Steven risk helping Angela dispose of a child that was seriously injured?

ACR

Another YouTube video. This one is AFTER Angela was arrested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m5q_v8xQDxg

06-12-2013 Richard Schiewe Interview

Reporter: What happened?

Schiewe: I was told that the boyfriend dropped the baby and had serious physical injuries.

Reporter: Who told you that?

Schiewe: They don't know where they're at, the detectives.

Reporter: How come he hasn't been charged?

Schiewe: To my understanding they can't find him yet. They let him go and now they can't find him.

Reporter: So how come the dropped the baby didn't come up yet?

(Portion here that is not clear)

Schiewe: That's what she told me yesterday.

Reporter: You were talking about a red van, what's that all about?

Schiewe: That is Stevens, the boyfriend's van. The day the baby come up missing I couldn't, I looked for that red van. The police looked for it, they couldn't find it. Two thirty in the morning the next day the red van shows up in the alley with metal license plates on it "expired." The next morning the plates are off of it, with an expired 30 day tag on it. Now, when they towed it, it's got metal plates.

Reporter: That's the Maroon one from last night?

Schiewe: Yes.

Reporter: Why do you think now, why do you think now this is all happening? I mean it's been so many days since this all started?

Schiewe: I really don't know and I'm glad it did happen, I want my granddaughter back.

Reporter: Do you think she's still alive?

Schiewe: (Shakes his head no) No!

Schiewe: I want the boyfriend, the whole family, they should have kept the mother, the dad, the boyfriend, and my daughter down there until somebody told, somebody said something, that's what they should have done.

Reporter: What do you want to say to the boyfriend right now?

Schiewe: Turn your *advertiser censored* in before I get you! Cause i'm coming for you today.

Reporter: What changed that Angela decided to admit.

Schiewe: The detectives haven't told me, they wouldn't tell me.

Reporter: When did you find out about the baby being injured.

Schiewe: Last night after they arrested Angela.

Reporter: And you repeatedly talked to her to ask her if anything happened to the baby?

Schiewe: Yes, she's been living in my house too. She, all she kept saying it was Steven, Steven did it.

Reporter: What kept her from fully cooperating?

Schiewe: Steven threatening her. Steven threatening her, that's what she told me on the phone when she called me from the jail.

Reporter: From your understanding, what happen Sunday after the baby was dropped. What happened to her then?

Schiewe: From what I understand from everybody, Steven and this guy Mike who lives in the house ran out the back door when TJ's dad, the baby's dad's grandpa came over to keep the peace, they ran out the back door, got in that van and went somewhere.

Reporter: So you believe the baby was alive at that point?

Schiewe: I believe so.

Reporter: At what point did you believe you weren't going to find her alive?

Schiewe: When we found the diapers in the river.

Reporter: What do you think the significance of that is, the diapers in the river bank?

Schiewe: That's the last place they had her and they knew that somebody was getting close, I don't know. And they dumped her in the river or something, she was sick, they were too afraid to take her to the hospital or something, I don't know.

Reporter: Where do we go from here, what's the next step?

Schiewe: To find the baby.

Reporter: What are you going to do here on out, keep looking?

Schiewe: Yep, well right now, today, I'm going to get the boyfriend, he's going to talk. He won't come in, they can't find him, I'll find him. Then, he'll talk then.

Reporter: Thank you

Schiewe: Thank you

Reporter: Is there anything you want to add?

Schiewe: No, just keep praying that my baby is alive.

Reporter: What can the community do to help you right now.

Schiewe: Just keep searching, just keep searching, and quit making the threats on the telephone and stuff. That's nonsense, you know, 23 year old people playing kid games.

Reporter: They're getting threats on the phone?

Schiewe: Yeah, they, well on that Channel 11 Facebook, you know, that's what it's on, you know, people driving by my house and stuff, you know, it's got to stop, you know. We want the guilty people, we don't want the innocent people to get hurt. My daughter made a big mistake so she's got to pay the consequences, you know, there's nothing I can do to change that, nobody can, you know.

Reporter: What went through your mind when you started to walk out just a few minutes ago in court. What were you thinking

Schiewe: I'm just numb, I don't know what to think. I just want her home. I want to wake up and this be over with. That's all.

===========================
ACR

Thank you for transcribing. I have questions about one of his statements:

Schiewe: When we found the diapers in the river.

Did they find the diaper IN the river? Was there more than 1 diaper? I thought the diaper was found in the woods NEAR the river not IN the river. That would make a big difference in my opinion if it was indeed found actually IN the river.

Wow, the infant carseat she is using is not suitable for her age. Her legs stick out like 5 inches.

http://www.wspd.com/photos/main/elaina-steinfurth-356810/#/9/21000977

As a child care provider, I've been trained in proper car seat usage and installation. The most important part of fitting your child in the correct carseat is weight, strap position and the placement of the top of the head to the top of the carseat. Parents should follow manufacturers recommendations for weight, as some rear facing infant/toddler "bucket" carseats like this one can go up to 30+ pounds. Strap positioning should be at or below the child's shoulders for any rear facing seat.

The child's head should be at least 1-2 inches below the top of the car seat. The child's legs can extend passed the bottom of the car seat and the child is still considered to be safely positioned in the seat. Most children are flexible and don't mind having their legs bent a bit while riding in a car.

The latest recommendation for rearfacing infant/toddler "buckets" or convertible car seats by American Pediatrics is rear facing until 2 years. The legal requirement is one year of age, however through extensive crash testing and data, they have found that children under 2 are safest when the back of the car seat absorbs the majority of the impact. When a child is forward facing, their fragile necks and spines absorb the impact and an increase in spinal injuries occurs. Infants/toddlers have head sizes that are still large compared to their bodies.

Elaina actually looks like she is just fitting into this carseat and should proabably move to a rear facing convertible carseat soon.

JMO

Wow, the infant carseat she is using is not suitable for her age. Her legs stick out like 5 inches.

http://www.wspd.com/photos/main/elaina-steinfurth-356810/#/9/21000977

I agree with Harper.

Her legs are irrelevant, it isn't going to hurt for them to hang out. She would fold them in the car.
Many kids are rear facing until 2, 3, or 4 years old. (Mine were 3 and 4.) :seeya:
A google or youtube search for "extended rear facing" will bring up good information on the subject.

The seat is outgrown when the weight limit is met or when the top of the head is within an inch of the shell.
It certainly looks like she's outgrown it and yes the chest clip is too low and the harness too loose.
But many infant seats like that, now go to 35 pounds and will fit many kids her age.
This appears to be an older infant seat that may have been expired anyway. :seeya:

I don't think she was still in it because of a concern for her safety...
I think she was still in it because they hadn't bought another seat yet. :twocents:

Lets not be too harsh on them regarding the car seat. In all fairness the photos I saw were all outside of a car rather than in actual use. When mine were small I would use an extra carrier for feeding. In that case the straps & chest bar placement wouldn't have been as important as it would have been when actually in the car. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you harperluu for the car seat info. I wasn't aware that kids should remain rear facing for 2 years. Mine aren't that small; but, as a child care provider that's a need to know if I were to have to take the small kids out.

ETA: I typically do not have a need to take the kids in my care in my car; but, it's still valuable info to have.

Lets not be too harsh on them regarding the car seat. In all fairness the photos I saw were all outside of a car rather than in actual use. When mine were small I would use an extra carrier for feeding. In that case the straps & chest bar placement wouldn't have been as important as it would have been when actually in the car. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you harperluu for the car seat info. I wasn't aware that kids should remain rear facing for 2 years. Mine aren't that small; but, as a child care provider that's a need to know if I were to have to take the small kids out.

ETA: I typically do not have a need to take the kids in my care in my car; but, it's still valuable info to have.

It's also possible she was just napping in it or something.
I have pictures of my daughter in her infant seat after she outgrew it.
We were at the doctor and she was tired.
I held the baby sister and put the older sister in the infant seat.

However, even if using for napping or feeding, they should be strapped in correctly every time.
A child strangled to death at a daycare when he was placed in a seat for a nap.
He wasn't strapped in tight because he wasn't in the car... and it was loose enough he strangled.

When mine were younger I had to have them sleep in their seats while sick.
They were always strapped in just like they would have been in the car.
If they are going to be in there at all, they should be in there safely every single time. :twocents:

I've been following this case closely, and have been taking some notes. Some of them are just thoughts or impressions I've had from things key players have said. Others are just questions. So here goes:

Mike won, Mike one
I've seen a few speculations about what this statement by Elaina's four year old sister might mean. Here is MOO. If there were multiple "Mike's" that were known to the family, or coming and going in JK's house they could refer to this particular Mike as "Mike number one" or "Mike one." By saying it twice in a row like that, it sounds like the child is being emphatic.

Angela's father indicating that she is in jail for protection from some threat
In MOO Angela's father has made several statements that indicate he is in protective father mode. His position, while understandable and is likely a way for him to cope with the current predicament in which his daughter finds herself, is skewed by a parental bias that he is having trouble seeing past.

I find the more likely scenario to be, that he is attempting to justify why his family has been unable to get her out of jail. Instead of publicly saying they do not have the money to hire an attorney or post bail, he is making the excuse that she is in there for her own good (i.e. keep her safe, away from more poor decision making, to provide police with info on the case).

It is JMO but I don't think he has been able to wrap his head around Angela's culpability. So he is saying, she is staying in jail right now to protect her from SK.

Timeline
Thanks to those that are attempting to come up with an accurate timeline. In that timeline, to we have a clear picture as to when SK was found vomiting? Was it shortly after he went out the backdoor? Did he get dropped off by Mike and realized how dire the baby's condition was?

SK's past history of abusive behavior
I've heard some reference to Angela's past abusive behavior, although there is no record of this with either CPS or the police. I haven't heard of any of SK's exes coming forward or other indications that he has a pattern of domestic or child abuse.

Although, in MOO JK would say just about anything to put her son in a positive light, and discredit Angela, she is not the only one that has brought to light an escalating pattern of abusive behavior exhibited by Angela. I am surprised we haven't heard the same type of accusations directed toward SK.

This is all JMO and things I have been thinking about as we try and find Elaina.

I am still trying to stay positive that Elaina will be brought home but it is getting harder by the hour. I have a 17 month old grandson, he and my daughter live with me and every morning when he walks in the room smiling my heart aches for Elaina to come home to her daddy. I cannot begin to imagine what TJ, FM and the rest of the family are going through, my prayers are filled with Elaina and and you all FM.

What I cannot understand is why have LE not arrested anyone else? This is making me so angry, they have AS in custody who even if responsible for the injuries (I am still on the fence with this) obviously did not remove Elaina from the house, surely they can arrest SK and Mike on her word that they were involved, unless she has told her dad this but is refusing to make such a statement to LE. Is she trying to protect SK? I am not familiar with US LE but I know here in the UK suspicion is enough to arrest someone, it is only at court that the evidence is required. I do think that if there is 'talk' around the area that perhaps the reward should be increased, MOO but $10,000 does not seem to be enough to encourage anyone to come forward. Is there anyway some sort of fundraising can be done?

I am still trying to stay positive that Elaina will be brought home but it is getting harder by the hour. I have a 17 month old grandson, he and my daughter live with me and every morning when he walks in the room smiling my heart aches for Elaina to come home to her daddy. I cannot begin to imagine what TJ, FM and the rest of the family are going through, my prayers are filled with Elaina and and you all FM.

What I cannot understand is why have LE not arrested anyone else? This is making me so angry, they have AS in custody who even if responsible for the injuries (I am still on the fence with this) obviously did not remove Elaina from the house, surely they can arrest SK and Mike on her word that they were involved, unless she has told her dad this but is refusing to make such a statement to LE. Is she trying to protect SK? I am not familiar with US LE but I know here in the UK suspicion is enough to arrest someone, it is only at court that the evidence is required. I do think that if there is 'talk' around the area that perhaps the reward should be increased, MOO but $10,000 does not seem to be enough to encourage anyone to come forward. Is there anyway some sort of fundraising can be done?

BBM, I think that if they increase the reward it may be too tempting for some. First in Best Dressed.......

I have been given permission from TJ and his girlfriend to post family photos on my website to help people identify Elaina and to help keep the story in the public eye. You can view them here http://www.wspd.com/pages/fredl.html?article=11395699 they are not used with permission and not to be copied unless the family okays their use. Call 1-800-CALL-FBI with any info no matter how seemingly insignificant.
For those who may think I am using these to gain ratings please just don't go to the site.

I'm two and a half pages behind so sorry if this has already been addressed but there's no pictures on that page if you're using Windows 8 and Firefox.

thumb.php

link for picture http://www.wspd.com/photos/main/elaina-steinfurth-356810/#/0/21000968

This is my first post in this thread, i finally got through reading the first two threads...

this case is heartbreaking. my husbands side of the family all live right outside toledo. my father in law lives in perrysburg so I kind of know the area. It's an 8 hour drive for us so we only get out there twice a year. Statistically speaking, it is most likely that baby Elaina is within a 10 mile radius of the King home, but that's just statistics. I'm sure LE knows this and are hopefully focusing on areas within that radius, as well as any other areas of interest that may come up from tips, further investigation, etc...

with the Maumee river right there it is very disheartening. there are also a lot of fields and somewhat rural areas as you travel south from perrysburg. our family reunion was in the middle of no where last year in a small town between perrysburg and findlay and i remember there being a large quarry in the area plus lots of fields and farmland.

i also hope they check places that SK, Angela, and this Mike guy have gone to in the past, maybe an old hangout spot thats outdoors, any place like that. anyway, thats just my :twocents: so far

From the FB page: "An anonymous video showing missing 18-month-old baby Elaina Steinfurth the day before she was reported missing has appeared on the Internet on Saturday and many believe it shows a lethargic baby. https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindElainaSteinfurth?fref=ts

According to WNWO news the video is from a surveillance camera near Raymer Elementary School in East Toledo at a residence about eleven blocks away from where Elaina Steinfurth was last seen." http://www.examiner.com/video/video...na-and-mother-the-day-before-she-goes-missing

LE can arrest someone on suspicion here, but they can only hold them for 72 hours (in most states), then they either have to charge them with a crime or let them go. There is no holding them indefinitely without charges.

IMO, $10,000 is plenty to entice someone to come forward. For me, I would not need any money if it involves a child, I would tell LE anything I knew for nothing. Holding out for more reward money just seems so cold. This is a child's LIFE we're talking about.

Case history updated

Day 16: Despite search, still no sign of missing girl
Updated: Jun 17, 2013 7:32 AM EDT

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/22481101/still-no-sign-of-missing-toddler

On Thursday, Toledo police held a press conference regarding the disappearance. Investigators revealed for the first time that their investigation is focusing on the child's mother. During that press conference they revealed that they believe Elaina was injured at some point, but they didn't reveal the extent of what those injuries might be.

WATCH: Thursday press conference regarding Elaina investigation
http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/...ng-on-elainas-mother-press-conference-reveals

Toledo Police, detectives, and investigators revealed new details about the case of a missing toddler from east Toledo. They say their laser focus right now is on Elaina's mother Angela Steinfurth.

In the Thursday morning press conference, police say interrogation and interviews with Elaina's mom led them to charge her with child endangerment. Questioning her also led them to Wednesday night's search of homes and a van located on Federal Street, where Elaina was reportedly last seen.

In the press conference investigators also said that they believe the baby was injured at some point, though they didn't reveal the extent of the injuries she may have suffered.

Some random thoughts>In no particular order.

1) IMO, AS wanted to stay at the SK's house because she could freely use drugs there, as opposed any other locations. That is pure speculation on my part, but makes sense to me.

2) JK says
I thought when she said she was "gone" I thought she meant that she wasn't going to get her kids back from the dad. I never thought in a million years that it was because the baby was gone, actually gone. So my son and I went right out the back door, we looked in the pool, we looked in the garage, then him and my nephew went down the alley, looking up and down the alley for her. A, I had, everywhere, I
What alley, is this? In between Federal and Prentice?...so, this alley is where the nephew and SK went together to look for the baby, "up and down the alley"...I get the feeling the alley has something to do with it.

3) IIRC, SK's FB page was change dot in a relationship with AS towards the end of May. I want to say it was the 25th? Might have been 27th? Huh? I thought they had broken up. Confused, can someone set me straight on this.

4) Why is anyone still living at JK's house if it is unfit for living? It's my understanding people still live there, right?

From the FB page: "An anonymous video showing missing 18-month-old baby Elaina Steinfurth the day before she was reported missing has appeared on the Internet on Saturday and many believe it shows a lethargic baby. https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindElainaSteinfurth?fref=ts

According to WNWO news the video is from a surveillance camera near Raymer Elementary School in East Toledo at a residence about eleven blocks away from where Elaina Steinfurth was last seen." http://www.examiner.com/video/video...na-and-mother-the-day-before-she-goes-missing

I know people have said she seems lethargic but I don't know. She's holding her head up when they walk in the house. Maybe she's tired or just got up from a nap.

I know people have said she seems lethargic but I don't know. She's holding her head up when they walk in the house. Maybe she's tired or just got up from a nap.

I agree. I think she's just sleepy in this video. My daughter is around the same age and tends to hold onto me and lay like that in my arms when she's tired. I think it's hard to make too much out of the video. Aside from the fact that she's obviously at that house for some reason that has already been speculated on so i won't repeat it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr