GUILTY OH - Elaina Steinfurth, 17 months, Toledo, 2 Jun 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hair results are a huge setback. Hoping that somehow something good will come out of this. I however do feel better knowing that SK is now in jail and that AS thinks he will talk. Maybe after he detoxes some more he will come to his senses and do what is right.

Praying that more arrests are to come and they nail each and every person responsible.

With so many people in that house, someone has to slip up eventually.

Ever since the van was returned to SK I've been pondering LE's actions. SK had a bench warrant out for some small matter so he could have been picked up at any time.
I believe that LE returned the van with a nifty little GPS device on it so police could track every move he made from early June. Would love to know where he's been going, what he's been doing these 2 months.
Also, the hair in the river could be anyone's, a body in the river or just a glob of hair from all the drains flowing into the river for miles and miles. (It IS heavily polluted)

With no results in the river searches, I'm led back to the two psychics who have had visions of the baby in a field. Yes, some psychics are bull crap, but many are not. I'm of a mind now to believe she will be found in a field this fall by hunters during hunting season. More specifically somewhere around Ottawa Lake or Riga (my own psychic prediction).

Ever since the van was returned to SK I've been pondering LE's actions. SK had a bench warrant out for some small matter so he could have been picked up at any time.
I believe that LE returned the van with a nifty little GPS device on it so police could track every move he made from early June. Would love to know where he's been going, what he's been doing these 2 months.
Also, the hair in the river could be anyone's, a body in the river or just a glob of hair from all the drains flowing into the river for miles and miles. (It IS heavily polluted)

With no results in the river searches, I'm led back to the two psychics who have had visions of the baby in a field. Yes, some psychics are bull crap, but many are not. I'm of a mind now to believe she will be found in a field this fall by hunters during hunting season. More specifically somewhere around Ottawa Lake or Riga (my own psychic prediction).

Never thought of the GPS! Good thinking!! Let's hope they did. Too bad the house wasn't tapped.

I've never bought into the big deal about the hair personally. We obviously have a lot of reasons to be thinking about that river, and I'm not discounting any of that just the hair. I never understood why until last night. Out fishing at night with a bunch of people including my boyfriend. Sitting on his lap head on his chest for a little bit I get up and start picking my hair off his shirt and the wind blew it right over the lake. I have a lot of long hair, and my boyfriend constantly tells me I shed worse than the dog. My hair falls out constantly and I'm constantly cleaning it off of everything. There are TONS of people like me, and even tons of children like me. My daughters hat falls in I'm sure someone could end up fishing up some hair.

That said in my mind it was SUCH a long shot that there is no reason at all to be discouraged by this news. The hair didn't go anywhere, but something will.

The truth tends to come out in the end, and in the case of a precious amazing little angel baby there are certainly enough people willing to do anything to make that happen.

My hair falls out constantly and I'm constantly cleaning it off of everything.

Same with my d-I-l, which is what made me think this way. My son cleans out the shower drain literally once a month--always clogged with her hair. What hair doesn't get caught goes down the drain and eventually dumps somewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the follicles visible to the naked eye? Why did it take this long for them to report that? It seems they should have known pretty soon after receiving the strands that there wasn't going to be a way to pull DNA.

You actually can find mtDNA through the actual strands of hair, no follicle needed.

This mtDNA test reveals the genetics of the great great grandmother of the victim through hair (the only of 3 DNA tests that actually can get DNA sample from the hair shaft).

If there is a direct descendent of that great great grandmother on the maternal line, a sample can be obtained. The amount of time it took to get the test results back doesn't worry me considering it is difficult sometimes to find a lab with all the DNA testing capabilities necessary for a case this difficult. Also it is sometimes difficult to track down a family member with the necessary DNA to sample and compare to the strand.

"So you’re automatically going to be dealing with a commercial lab, and not every commercial lab will work with hair samples. They’re all going to want to know how much hair you have and how old it is before they’ll give you a quote,10 and you’re definitely going to want to shop around before settling on a lab to do the work. Asking around on the mail lists run by genetic genealogists would be a good way to start — there’s a DNA Newbie list for members of the International Society of Genetic Genealogists, for example, and it’s free to join.

Clearly, then, you’re going to want to carefully review whether you have another easier way to get the same information. Is there a person living now who’d be willing to do a current mtDNA test who is a descendant of your great great grandmother in a direct line (your great great grandmother to one of her daughters and on down to today)? Remember that every child has his or her mother’s mtDNA11 so the person tested can be male or female as long as that person’s mother descends in a direct female line from your great great grandmother."

So I'm assuming there's no one with a direct relation to Elaina's great great grandmother?

http://www.legalgenealogist.com/blog/2012/06/03/dna-and-the-locks-of-hair/

I agree with your last paragraph here. I wondered if they went out to the country closer to the campground in Fulton County west of Toledo where they were familiar with back roads.

I agree with your last paragraph here. I wondered if they went out to the country closer to the campground in Fulton County west of Toledo where they were familiar with back roads.

Also southern MI nor far from Toledo is pretty remote. Miles of wooded areas, fields etc. Pretty much the same area that the Skelton brothers were searched for by search teams.

I don't know if this has been posted - interesting reading:

Challenges in DNA Testing and Forensic Analysis of Hair Samples
http://www.forensicmag.com/articles...d-forensic-analysis-hair-samples#.UfRoxI2URiw

Amazing article! thank-you so much.

RexManning at post #926 wanted an answer to a question and it is in this article:-

The hair root is rooted below the scalp and is enclosed in a hair follicle. This is connected to the blood stream via the dermal papilla. Certain hormones and receptors are also found in the follicles which help to regulate hair growth.

Where is Ottawa Lake or Riga? How far from SK's house or RS's house?

Good night little angel. :please: Come home soon !

Good night little angel. :please: Come home soon !

Holding on to hope that one night very soon TJ will be tucking our sweet girl in and giving her good night hugs from all of us!

Re: italianangel2411 "Where is Ottawa Lake or Riga? How far from SK's house or RS's house?"

The two unincorporated communities are north and west of Toldeo OH.

Ottawa Lake, MI is an unincorporated community in Whiteford Township. Of its total area of 40.3 sq mi, Whiteford Township contains 0.4 sq mi of water. Its coordinates are 41º45'51" N and 083º44'51"W.

According to one online source, the distance from Toledo, OH to Ottawa Lake, MI is about 16 miles and can be driven in about 21 minutes.

http://www.distancebetweencities.net/toledo_oh_and_ottawa-lake_mi/route

A map to give an overview may be found at:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Ottawa Lake&state=MI

Riga, MI is an unincorporated community within Riga Township, in Lenawee County. The township has a total area of 40.9 sq. mi and according to Wikipedia, It contains no bodies of water within its boundaries. Its coordinates are: 41º47'2"N 83º49'9"W

According to one online source, the distance from Riga, MI to Toledo, OH is approximately 24.1 mi, and would take about 28 minutes to make the trip.

http://www.distancy.com/riga-michigan-us_toledo-ohio-us/directions

However, according to another source, both Riga, MI and Toledo, OH lie within 15 miles of Ottawa Lake.

https://www.zip-codes.com/city/mi-ottawa-lake.asp

Hopefully, someone familiar with the are will bring in more information re driving routes and times.

Is SK's address public information? A more accurate approximation of driving times to sites within either of those communities could be made with that, and a specific destination in mind.

Either way, it seems to be a very short run to either place.

Where is Ottawa Lake or Riga? How far from SK's house or RS's house?

Lower Michigan, Riga is a Township in Lenawee County and Ottawa Lake is in Whiteford Township it's very small village both areas are rural.

It's just about 1 mile to walk from SK's house to RS's house the distance to Ottawa Lake, Michigan from either home about 19 miles.

Is there a lot of RV traffic between the Toledo and the other two places?
I wonder if LE has contacted MI and OH RV owners through clubs, etc. to see if they noticed any unusual activity the night before and day of the "disappearance".
Are those two towns considered to be bedroom communities of Toledo?
Just wondering why those two towns were mentioned along with Toledo.

On this beautiful Sunday morning, I look around and see how I am Blessed and it breaks my heart that we even have a forum for Elaina (and all the missing). I will be adding Elaina and her family to my church's Prayer List. I wish I could do more.

Sending extra prayers and blessings for Elaina and family. Stay strong and God Bless!

!!FIND ELAINA!!

I wonder if LE has contacted MI and OH RV owners through clubs, etc. to see if they noticed any unusual activity the night before and day of the "disappearance".

They are all on the border of the two states. When you cross into MI, until you get into Monroe which is a half hour away you see miles of open fields, woods, and farmhouses that are set very far apart. I have driven through that area dozens of times going to the Toledo Zoo (Way better than Detroit Zoo). That is why I keep mentioning the 3 little Skelton boys that went missing 3 years ago. They are thought to be in that same area. I really hope baby Elaina is found soon. This just breaks my heart.

Prayers to Elaina's family!

Both towns were mentioned in previous posts as Psychic Visions.

SK, AS & JS all met at a campground in Fulton County, Ohio. When AS & JS got married SK was there, he's always been in their lives, when they split up AS goes to SK she even moves in with him. This campground is about a 45 minute drive from Federal Street, Toledo, surrounded by farm fields and woods.

While I sit here and try to will myself into labor (which isn't working btw) I can't help but check here everyday thinking today's the day I see something else besides just bolded wording on Elaina's heading. :( sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammyC37