GUILTY OH - Elaina Steinfurth, 17 months, Toledo, 2 Jun 2013 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rough notes on next NG segment. Very rough. (Mod please delete if necessary. Thanks.)

...Again, I apologize for the roughness of these notes.
Much as there are things NG does with which I disagree, I felt she put on her prosecutor's robes and became a powerful advocate for Elaina. She shone a spotlight on the handling of the case by LE. She reinforced the facts regarding AS and SK's behaviour. JMO, but I thought this was a strong show.

Sorry for not spelling Marc Klaas's name correctly. Mea culpa. I'm sure I've spelled everyone else's name wrong too.

I thought TS Sr. was very composed and thoughtful in his responses, and was in direct opposition to the confusing statements of RS. He brought with him the love and respect his family has for Elaina. TS Sr's responses, to me, gave a dignity to Elaina's spirit that AS, SK, and their accomplices (if any) had done their best to deny her. My admiration goes to him for being able to be a rock for his family especially when working within what seems to me to be the pressure cooker setting of NG's show.

Ferretmommy, Cherub, my thoughts are with you and your family as you continue to work through the case.

We are one day closer to Justice for Elaina.

Thank you for the notes. I watched the show but sometimes miss a bit because my mind is still reacting to something that had just been said. (I guess I wouldn't make a good juror.)
I, too, admire TS's strength through this very difficult ordeal. When Elaina had been missing about 5 weeks, I was at my computer (probably reading this forum) when thoughts started running through my mind and I wrote them down. I took the paper to the next vigil with plans to read it. Boy, was I wrong! While driving to the vigil, I couldn't even tell my husband, who hadn't seen it, what it said without crying. After showing it to TJ and getting his ok to share it, I asked a few people if they could read it without breaking down. They all said no. I was about to ask the pastor to read it when TS came to me and said 'I'll probably break, but I'll read it.' He choked up a bit in a couple spots, but I know it was his love for Elaina that kept him going. I am very proud of the way he has held himself together. Yes, my little brother is a big man.

Nancy just updated her Transcripts page.

Here is the link to last night's show..http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1309/19/ng.01.html

Thank you Wendiesan for your notes! I agree, it was a strong show of advocacy for Justice For Elaina!

Mark Klaas (@PollyDad) was AMAZING! I found myself yelling at the screen..... in absolute agreement with his commentary.

As always, sending love to you FerretMommy and CherubCollector! :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Rough notes on next NG segment. (Mods, please delete posts if against rules.)

Sorry for how rough these notes are.

NG: Reiterates events. To Dr. Bill Manyon. Why can't they tell COD?

Dr.: Can't tell 3 months after body decomposing.

NG: It is proof. If child is ill take it to a Dr. or call 911. Don't put it in

Dr.: Would call it homicide. Nothing suggests child had congenital defects to cause its death.

MK: Find credibility to search dog. Authorities must build case for murder, take them to trial and prosecute them.

Phone call: How did LE miss this?

NG: Could be huge problem at trial.

MC: They can't say when body was put into garage, or who put it there. Makes no sense house searched four times, but garage never searched again.

NG: How is TJ doing?

TS Sr: He's holding up the best he can. He wants justice for his daughter, and I'm pretty much with him there.

PHone: What are AS and SK reactions?

BL: Only know they're in same jail. Don't know reactions to news of find.

Reporter on phone: In jail not allowed media visitation.

NG: Did AS ask how box got there? How did my baby's remains get in a box in a garage?

RS: No. Says SK gave LE information about where to find Elaina's body. Angela did not ask him anything about Elaina's body.

I can really think of only ONE reason a mother would not ask anything about the condition of her newly found deceased child. How about you all ?

Short clip of RS appearance from Nancy Grace.

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/09/19/grandpa-baby-elainas-mom-torn

ETA: RS' comments are confusing to me. The little bit that is shown here are reflective of @wendiesan's excellent notes, and the expert panelists' analysis last night (Marc Klaas, Dr. Bethany Marshall et al). The evidence tends to contradict what RS has been given a platform by NG to broadcast globally.

Those of us who are in this fight for Justice for Elaina are concerned about any avenue the defense may pursue for reasonable doubt. NG alluded to LE "dropping the ball." I am not prepared to criticize the TPD myself. However, I have serious issues with the statements made by RS that he personally searched that garage, went up into the rafters, and threw down the boxes onto the floor, and left nothing but wood up there.

From the transcripts page at CNN:

RICHARD SCHIEWE, ANGELA`S STEPFATHER: I seen nothing but garbage, bicycle parts, boxes. There was a car in there that the police tried to get into. They got the door open. They couldn`t get the back seat out. I tore the back seat out. I broke the trunk open. And they said they were done.

I said, Can I look some more? And they said yes. I searched that garage, every box, every bicycle, under the car. I got up in the rafters. There was no box with a tarp. I don`t care if it had purple polka dots on it, there was no box up there the second day she went missing, in that garage. That baby was put in there by somebody.
(snip)

GRACE: Are you absolutely sure, Mr. Schiewe, that you searched in that spot where they claim they found the box? The box is not big. It`s a computer box.

SCHIEWE: I climbed up in the rafters. I was in the rafters. Whatever was up there, I threw it on the floor. There`s nothing up there but wood right now. I threw everything out of the rafters. The police never even went up in the rafters. They searched the car, and that was it. And left.

via http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1309/19/ng.01.html

The garage was too difficult of an area for the TPD cadaver dogs to safely search, and LE searched the home itself numerous times, without returning to the garage. I just feel like the waters are being muddied.

We have no idea what information the TPD and the Lucas County District Attorney's Office have prepared in their case in chief. I pray it is enough to bring absolute Justice for Elaina, and her family. Anything less is unacceptable.

JMHO

RSBM
COD obscured due to advanced stage of decomposition. Max penalty 5 years and $10,000 fine.

Mark Klass Thinks AS and SK both involved. People living in squalor does not absolve LE from the responsibility of properly investigating the crimes in which they are involved. Does not believe RS checked everything.
Max penalty five years and $10,000 for what, please? Sorry I don't have time to read all the transcripts right now so any help you can give is appreciated.

I completely agree with Mark. A child was missing. LE should have done everything possible and if the garage wasn't searched because of the filth and horrible condition then shame on them.

I'm really sick of RS. I realize he probably loves AS. I get that. What I don't get is how he can try and cover her butt after what she is accused of and after what I'm pretty sure she's guilty of. I love my kids, love my grandkids, but know without a doubt that I would not, could not cover them in something like this especially. I'm sure he's not wanting anyone to think terribly about AS but he needs to realize that is AS choice and not his. Both AS and SK need to pay for precious Elaina's death. Along with JK and anyone and everyone in that house that allowed or knew anything that happened to her.

MOO

Mods, please delete if in violation of TOS. Thanks!

IMO, this is the most telling exchange between Nancy Grace and RS....

GRACE: To Richard Schiewe, this is the mom`s father. Richard, did she ask you how the box got there?

SCHIEWE: No, she didn`t. I told her that -- I said, Angela, that box was not there, because you know that I searched the garage the second day. The second day Elaina went missing, I was in that garage for at least an hour.

(CROSSTALK)

GRACE: But she didn`t ask -- she never said, Mr. Schiewe, then how did it get there? Didn`t she ask you, how did my baby`s remains get in a box in the garage? I know I would have asked.

SCHIEWE: We can only speculate -- we can only speculate on what we said. The day before, that they found the box, is that Steven talked to his mother in the courtroom. And then they went over to the jail or the police station to talk to Steven, and that`s when Steven said the body`s in the garage.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

GRACE: Straight back out to Angela Steinfurth`s father, Richard Schiewe. I`m pretty sure I heard you just say that Steven King, the live- in boyfriend, says in court, he tells his mother in court, the baby is in the box in the garage. Is that what you just said? He`s the one that said that?

SCHIEWE: Yes, ma`am. And they took him across the street to the police station and questioned him. And then he told police that the body was in the garage.

GRACE: Did you hear him tell his mother --

(CROSSTALK)

SCHIEWE: Wait a minute, wait a minute. No. No. We were not -- the Steinfurths and myself, we were not in the courtroom at that time. And we weren`t in the police station.

GRACE: OK. So --

SCHIEWE: But why, the day that she come up missing -- wait a minute. The day that she come up missing, why didn`t Steven King and his cousin run out the backdoor and was gone for an hour and a half? Where did they go for an hour and a half?

GRACE: Mr. Schiewe, you just said Steven King, the live-in boyfriend, tells his mother in the courtroom the baby`s body is in the -- in the box in the garage. And police immediately take him and begin questioning him. Then what happened?

SCHIEWE: Right. And then they went over and got a search warrant. And that`s when they found her body parts. And my daughter Mary talk to Steven King`s son`s mother, then she told him the same exact thing that Steven told his mother and Julie. That the baby was in the garage. So they took him to the police station and he told the police the body is in the garage.

And I told the police that. But his girlfriend -- what his baby`s mama said. As far as I know, they haven`t talked to her yet.

Prior to the commercial break, RS says AS didn't ask any questions about the recovery of precious Baby Elaina. That literally blows my mind! :banghead:

The second segment is something @wendiesan alluded to in her notes last night. RS makes reference to two different people as SK's mother.

IMO, it makes it difficult for me to believe every word that he says. As others have stated upthread, he is protecting his stepdaughter.

However, I can't get past the beautiful, innocent, defenseless little babygirl who should have been first and foremost in EVERYONE'S mind, from the minute she took her first breath.

Elaina trumps all in my book, and always will!

I understood it as when he said his mother and Julie, he was refering to sk's sons mother and Julie. He was talking about the son's mother just before and referred to her as the baby's mamma right after.

Mods, please delete if in violation of TOS. Thanks!

IMO, this is the most telling exchange between Nancy Grace and RS....

GRACE: To Richard Schiewe, this is the mom`s father. Richard, did she ask you how the box got there?

SCHIEWE: No, she didn`t. I told her that -- I said, Angela, that box was not there, because you know that I searched the garage the second day. The second day Elaina went missing, I was in that garage for at least an hour.

(CROSSTALK)

GRACE: But she didn`t ask -- she never said, Mr. Schiewe, then how did it get there? Didn`t she ask you, how did my baby`s remains get in a box in the garage? I know I would have asked.

SCHIEWE: We can only speculate -- we can only speculate on what we said. The day before, that they found the box, is that Steven talked to his mother in the courtroom. And then they went over to the jail or the police station to talk to Steven, and that`s when Steven said the body`s in the garage.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

GRACE: Straight back out to Angela Steinfurth`s father, Richard Schiewe. I`m pretty sure I heard you just say that Steven King, the live- in boyfriend, says in court, he tells his mother in court, the baby is in the box in the garage. Is that what you just said? He`s the one that said that?

SCHIEWE: Yes, ma`am. And they took him across the street to the police station and questioned him. And then he told police that the body was in the garage.

GRACE: Did you hear him tell his mother --

(CROSSTALK)

SCHIEWE: Wait a minute, wait a minute. No. No. We were not -- the Steinfurths and myself, we were not in the courtroom at that time. And we weren`t in the police station.

GRACE: OK. So --

SCHIEWE: But why, the day that she come up missing -- wait a minute. The day that she come up missing, why didn`t Steven King and his cousin run out the backdoor and was gone for an hour and a half? Where did they go for an hour and a half?

GRACE: Mr. Schiewe, you just said Steven King, the live-in boyfriend, tells his mother in the courtroom the baby`s body is in the -- in the box in the garage. And police immediately take him and begin questioning him. Then what happened?

SCHIEWE: Right. And then they went over and got a search warrant. And that`s when they found her body parts. And my daughter Mary talk to Steven King`s son`s mother, then she told him the same exact thing that Steven told his mother and Julie. That the baby was in the garage. So they took him to the police station and he told the police the body is in the garage.

And I told the police that. But his girlfriend -- what his baby`s mama said. As far as I know, they haven`t talked to her yet.

Prior to the commercial break, RS says AS didn't ask any questions about the recovery of precious Baby Elaina. That literally blows my mind! :banghead:

The second segment is something @wendiesan alluded to in her notes last night. RS makes reference to two different people as SK's mother.

IMO, it makes it difficult for me to believe every word that he says. As others have stated upthread, he is protecting his stepdaughter.

However, I can't get past the beautiful, innocent, defenseless little babygirl who should have been first and foremost in EVERYONE'S mind, from the minute she took her first breath.

Elaina trumps all in my book, and always will!

I understood it as when he said his mother and Julie, he was refering to sk's sons mother and Julie. He was talking about the son's mother just before and referred to her as the baby's mamma right after.

Thank you @Jlr, that explains it. :clap: Idk why I was having such a tough time deciphering that!

Does this man not realize all jailhouse phone calls are recorded, and what he has said in all the interviews will be used by the prosecution?

I certainly hope it is all used by the prosecution!

Beth, the producer of NG's show, called TS and askd him if he would talk to them Wed. after AS court date. When he agreed, after he hung up I told him when they call to confirm to tell them HE'S got questions to ask RS, and you want more time than you got in the last interview. Don't know if it will air Wed. Night or Thurs. night after SK's court appearance. If I see it announced , I'll be sure to post it.

Beth, the producer of NG's show, called TS and askd him if he would talk to them Wed. after AS court date. When he agreed, after he hung up I told him when they call to confirm to tell them HE'S got questions to ask RS, and you want more time than you got in the last interview. Don't know if it will air Wed. Night or Thurs. night after SK's court appearance. If I see it announced , I'll be sure to post it.

Does he have an attorney? In July, the Toledo YWCA domestic violence shelter referred my daughter to a wonderful attorney and he has been a wonderful help. If you need his name, PM me. I have been shocked at how difficult it is for divorcing parents to protect their children.

RSBM

Max penalty five years and $10,000 for what, please? Sorry I don't have time to read all the transcripts right now so any help you can give is appreciated.
MOO

IIRC, this information came from graphics superimposed over a discussion referred to in the transcript as cross-talk.

There is speculation that this case could not be tried as murder, and a trial might be held for the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter. In Ohio, involuntary manslaughter is a felony of the third degree.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2903.04

A prison term of five years and a fine of $10,000 are the maximum penalties allowed under Ohio law for a felony of the third degree. (The minimum prison term would be one year.)

In comparison, special felonies have different maximum sentences and fines. Aggravated murder with death specification (Death, Life without parole, Life with parole after 20, 25, or 30 years; $25,000). Aggravated murder without death specification (Life with parole after 20 years; $25,000). Murder (Fifteen to life, Life without parole; $15,000.)

http://www.ohiocrimelawyer.com/page_details/17/13/felonies/felonies_ohio_felony_penalties.html

http://www.drc.ohio.gov/offsearch/docs/FelonySentencingChart.pdf

If you'd like information about child endangerment infractions and penalties in Ohio, this might be a good jumping off point.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2919.22

I'm not a lawyer, so am going with the information available to the general public. Perhaps a lawyer or other professional with this kind of specialized knowledge could comment about necessary corrections. Thanks.

Does he have an attorney? In July, the Toledo YWCA domestic violence shelter referred my daughter to a wonderful attorney and he has been a wonderful help. If you need his name, PM me. I have been shocked at how difficult it is for divorcing parents to protect their children.

Does who have an attorney? If you mean TS Sr., he does not. Basically, he wants to call RS out and catch him up in his lies so EVERYONE watching will have no doubt he is lying, and hopefully LE will also see this too. IMO, he should also be under arrest for obstructing justice.

Does who have an attorney? If you mean TS Sr., he does not. Basically, he wants to call RS out and catch him up in his lies so EVERYONE watching will have no doubt he is lying, and hopefully LE will also see this too. IMO, he should also be under arrest for obstructing justice.

An attorney will help guide him as to what to say publicly. He's angry and I don't blame him but a misdirected, public display of anger might hurt when it comes to custody and protection of the surviving child. The public doesn't need help seeing what is going on. This was a horrific crime. The little one has to be emotionally traumatized and missing her mother and sister. He should focus on her and by all means, publicly call out all those who failed to protect these beautiful children.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back