OH OH - Jane Gault, 17, Barberton, 14 March 1982

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
upallnite said:
I'm not giving up. The Sheriff spoke to said, after I told him everything I know, that I need evidence for him to even consider reopening this, he also refused to look at the evidence that I do have. HMMMM. I think he was tired.
You need evidence before he will look into it, but he won't look at the evidence you have. Makes sense to me.:waitasec:

Le'see...You have a report from a corrupt coroner stating her death is undetermined, no evidence of drowning, you have a police chief telling everyone she drowned, you have a witness (two, actually) willing to state her hands were bound, you have the name(s) of the paramedics, one of whom has already corraborated the witness('s) statement....You have names of known acquaintances who are felons...

shadowangel said:
You need evidence before he will look into it, but he won't look at the evidence you have. Makes sense to me.:waitasec:

Le'see...You have a report from a corrupt coroner stating her death is undetermined, no evidence of drowning, you have a police chief telling everyone she drowned, you have a witness (two, actually) willing to state her hands were bound, you have the name(s) of the paramedics, one of whom has already corraborated the witness('s) statement....You have names of known acquaintances who are felons...
EGG-ZACKLY!!!!:dance:

Remember the guy who moved to Texas? Now might be the time to see if the number we have is the correct number.

My sister brought up an interesting point earlier. She wondered that since the Ohio/Erie canal is a body of water , wouldn't the Ohio department of Natural resources or the State have had more jurisdiction there than the Barberton police would have had? Does anyone know?

Only if the towpath is considered a state park. That will be easy enough to check out. Most likely, the town did have jurisdiction. The canal is not a natural waterway, and would be considered more like an abandoned roadway.

That is a very good question Upallnite. I know a lot of that was put into public trust, which would be administered by DNR, and wouldn't that make the park rangers and OSP or even the coast guard the jurisdictional authorities? I don't know if being within the city limits has any effect on it, either. Also we need to check if that specific area or those specific areas are both under DNR or were they gifted to the city.
You know, I had a question on why Barberton was the investigating authority for Jane but the recent remains are being investigated by another dept. Do you know the reason for that? And neither of them were investigated by DNR authorities? If they are under the DNR control though, there is probably at least a report filed with them, by the Barberton police dept. It would be interesting what they told the state wouldn't it?

The 40-mile Miami and Erie Canal Trail was the first state recreational trail to be designated under the Ohio Trails Act, and is administered by the Ohio DNR, Division of Parks and Recreation.
http://www.northcountrytrail.org/explore/focus/ohcanal1.htm

I am sending off an email to ODNR. Since you know the exact areas better why don't you contact them also and ask questions about the specific areas that bodies were found in. Ask if a report was filed for Jane. Just to make it interesting, why don't you ask about both bodies that were found in the canal. Be sure to specify for them if they were found in the water or on the bank.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/coastal/

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/water/canals/realmap_a.htm

upallnite said:
My sister brought up an interesting point earlier. She wondered that since the Ohio/Erie canal is a body of water , wouldn't the Ohio department of Natural resources or the State have had more jurisdiction there than the Barberton police would have had? Does anyone know?
The question as to what law enforcement agency had jurisdiction was probably considered at the time that the city police took the case. Usually once an investigation begins, it stays with that agency, unless taken over by another "higer up" agency, such as the state police or FBI.

In this case, although she was found in the water, she was identified immediately and it was found that she had been elsewhere in that town the same night. Therefor, it would make more sense for the local police to begin the investigation. Had she remained unidentified, perhaps the case would have been taken by the Department of Natural Resources.

I think, based only on what I have read here, that the case belongs to the local Sheriff/Police Chief until he turns it over to the State Police, or until the State Police decide to step in.

Thank you for your reply Richard. So would a report be filed at the DNR? And if the case was mishandled, then could you appeal to the state police to supercede them?

Also, keep this in mind--there appears to not have been any investigation. It seems as though, regardless of the circumstances and the coroner's report, Jane was listed as an accidental drowning victim and the case closed. Possibly, someone did not want an outside agency called in, thus the quick closure of the case?

A question for Upallnite...Did TB state whether or not he ever gave a statement to police? I mean besides giiving his name and address to the officers responding and the short story about running the dogs. Did he ever sit down and write out a statement, or dictate one at the police station? I am much willing to guess not. Very strange for the intial witness, if there was ever an investigation.

It might not be good for someone to have the witness's statement about Jane's hands being bound lying around...

shadowangel said:
Also, keep this in mind--there appears to not have been any investigation. It seems as though, regardless of the circumstances and the coroner's report, Jane was listed as an accidental drowning victim and the case closed. Possibly, someone did not want an outside agency called in, thus the quick closure of the case?

A question for Upallnite...Did TB state whether or not he ever gave a statement to police? I mean besides giving his name and address to the officers responding and the short story about running the dogs. Did he ever sit down and write out a statement, or dictate one at the police station? I am much willing to guess not. Very strange for the intial witness, if there was ever an investigation.

It might not be good for someone to have the witness's statement about Jane's hands being bound lying around...
The brothers said they were never even contacted again after they left. I was thinking about two interesting things about all of this last night, even though it was very cold, it is cold here in March, Janes jacket (or I should say alleged jacket) was found seperate from her body. Also the brothers said that R.B's wife phoned the police and when the first patrol car responed and then the second, no one would come down and look until the coroner got there, just found it odd. Also R.B's son was there, and he's older now, I wonder what he remembers?

Good point about the jacket...Sounds like it was thrown in as an afterthought. Having seen the pics of the canal, no way do I believe it came off due to the action of water. By the way, why did the PD seem to think that the flight bag with male sweaters was connected to Jane???The PD standing by until the arrival of the coroner may have been departmental procedure, but--When were the paramedics called? They should have been there ASAP just to determine any signs of life (THAT should be standard procedure). Only the coroner can release the body for removal, but someone with medical training is supposed to check to see if the person is still alive (regardless of the condition, this is never left up to the observation of untrained witnesses. Imagine the scenario...Police arrive, the witness says, "yeah, she's obviously dead. " PD say, "Oh, okay.. Hey, dispatch, call the coroner, we're going to hang out at the donut shop until he gets here in a couple of hours".)

Right....

My experience with small town coroners is just that. Go back to bingo or whatever. Not a lot of interest unless it is a local politico with a problem.

Hi,

Just got through reading this entire thread a today. I am brand new here and this is actually my first post, so forgive me if this is considered an intrusion. Not real sure how the board operates.
I work for newspapers so if and when you decide to approach any papers, I will be glad to answer any questions about how best to approach them. Sometimes that can make the difference in getting someone interested in writing something or taking a serious look at it.
Also, just from my experience in dealing with funeral homes, a large number of the folks that work there are just plain mean. There is a chance that once she figured you weren't a "customer," she decided you were bothering her. Some of them are that way when I've called them with questions -- nice at first, then icy and rude. The post about the small town and people starting to talk is a definitely possibility, though. Word tends to get around quickly.
I can say from what I've read here, I have zero confidence in your city's police force circa the early 80s. It doesn't sound like they followed SOP for the circumstances at all.

reportertype said:
Hi,

Just got through reading this entire thread a today. I am brand new here and this is actually my first post, so forgive me if this is considered an intrusion. Not real sure how the board operates.
I work for newspapers so if and when you decide to approach any papers, I will be glad to answer any questions about how best to approach them. Sometimes that can make the difference in getting someone interested in writing something or taking a serious look at it.
Also, just from my experience in dealing with funeral homes, a large number of the folks that work there are just plain mean. There is a chance that once she figured you weren't a "customer," she decided you were bothering her. Some of them are that way when I've called them with questions -- nice at first, then icy and rude. The post about the small town and people starting to talk is a definitely possibility, though. Word tends to get around quickly.
I can say from what I've read here, I have zero confidence in your city's police force circa the early 80s. It doesn't sound like they followed SOP for the circumstances at all.
Hi, and welcome to the family! A new opinion is ALWAYS welcome here. This is the only board I participate in, because (for the very largest part) the posts are well-though out, incisive, and we all try to have a little fun along the way. All thoughts are very welcome, and any help is certainly appreciated!!!! Please take a look around, too, there are a lot of very interesting topics and threads...

'Lo

Just finished reading the new timeline and players on the Sharon Marshall case. No worries; count me as hooked.

reportertype said:
'Lo

Just finished reading the new timeline and players on the Sharon Marshall case. No worries; count me as hooked.
YAY!!! Reportertypes hooked, now if I could ever finish reading all of the main Sharon Marshall thread!!!:eek:

Welcome Reportertype. There are good people here, I think that you will enjoy it.

reportertype said:
Hi,

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back