OH OH - Jane Gault, 17, Barberton, 14 March 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
upallnite said:
No, I don't know their names.Doubt I ever will since they were minors their names won't be listed. This one guy I know might know though, but I hardly ever see him, don't know how to contact him, but he lived right behind where they found her on the other side of the canal and he says he was there, maybe he knows. What really bugs me about this, is I was really shy when I was younger, and this blonde kid approached me in high school one time and said " I'm one of the guys that found your sister" and I didn't say anything. NOTHING. I just walked away. I was such a mouse.
That shouldn't matter upallnight. A minors name can be listed in a report. Minors names just aren't usually published in the newspaper if they are charged with a crime.

upallnite said:
I think shadowangel's a hoot!!! LOL!!! I'm goin out, see all you guys and gals later!!!!
Yeah, my little funky monkey is finally asleep after being up (kinda) for the past, oh, 37 hours (the change in weather just doesn't agree with him)...Check in later.

upallnite said:
I think shadowangel's a hoot!!! LOL!!! I'm goin out, see all you guys and gals later!!!!

Have a good time, tonight. Tomorrow you need to start getting your "kit" together. Camera, recorder, and a small notebook will need to go everywhere you go. You never know when someone might come up to you to talk or you might run across something.

Shadow205 said:
Mysteriew,

For some reason, I can't find anything at all in the Soc. Sec. death index. I have tried searching a ton aof different ways. Weird.

(And for some reason I am thinking to look for her last name being spelt Gault, I don't know why...that is the spelling that upallnight gave us. Are you having a "blond moment" ?
Gosh this thread filled up fast! I just wanted to say that I'm not completely confident in the on-line Social Security Death Index. I never was able to find my father's record using his name, with or without his middle name. It did show up under his SS#, but I was puzzled by finding "no record" when I entered his name, place of birth, place of death and the year he died.

As a side note, years ago (pre-internet) when I did background investigations I went to the courthouses myself. There were frequently misspellings in the microfiche, so I routinely searched spelling variations. I remember in the early 1990s(?) I started seeing college age kids searching the indices collecting data. I assumed they worked for companies that would then in turn sell record searches to their clients. Long story long, I remember thinking that I wouldn't use that kind of service because the kids were just searching the names they were given, not the ones human error created.

On the ssdi, I think it is also related to the fact of whether or not the family applied for social security death benefits. If the family applied for the death benefits, then the name would be in there. If they didn't, then no name.

mysteriew said:
On the ssdi, I think it is also related to the fact of whether or not the family applied for social security death benefits. If the family applied for the death benefits, then the name would be in there. If they didn't, then no name.[/QUOTE

Could be, but I was a minor when my father died and did receive benefits. It was a long time ago though.

Good luck hunting tomorrow. Don't forget to update us on how it goes.

Ok, thus far has been pretty strange!!! I called newspapers first, just to see if they could dig those newspaper articles up and the Akron Beacon Journal said I could find the article on Ohio.com (which I haven't done yet) and the Akron Public Library. The Barberton Herald said I could find it at the Barberton public library. I went to Cox funeral home to get a copy of her obituary and they didn't have anything so I went to where she was buried and told me she was buried on March 29th 1982, they don't keep any extensive records there and they also told me she was recieved from Campfield-Hickman funeral home. I went there and the woman at the desk told me I would have to go to the Barberton public library to find obituary. I came home, I just called the Barberton Health department and inquired about getting birth and death certificate. They are sending them today.The lady on the phone says the death certificate says Pending and also says suicide? accidental? undetermined. Lists date of death as pronounced dead March 14th 1982.For some reason it said microscopic and toxological. No idea til I get the thing. I'm heading out to the Barberton Public Library right now, which is making me nervous because it's right beside the police station. hmmm. The lady from the Health department asked me if this was ever investigated. I said no, not really.

I was wondering if and when the word "suicide" was going to come up in this. Well, at least the people you've contacted so far have been cooperative....I'm surprised the funeral home didn't know more. She was in the morgue for fifteen days before burial? Seems someone should have been able to determine something. According to the Chief, she must have been ID'd fairly quickly.

I had checked Ohio.com, the archives only go back to '84 as I remember. And its $2.95 per article.

Shadow Angel, if you go to Ohio.com and click on archives like I just did you are promted to do a search. First I searched my sister's name and didn't find anything, but then I searched" body found in Barberton. Seems there's a whole lot of unsolved deaths in this town. And a couple were found right where my sister was, weird?

Find anything related to your sister?

***just looking quickly, I found a couple of things that piqued my interest...Besides all the deaths. There's one article about unsolved murders over the past 20 years (from '97, I'll have to buy that one). Also, an article on Malissa Nichole Thomas, from Feb of '95, a young lady who was found in an abandoned house with her hands and feet bound--initial determination of death was strangulation.
Then, in Feb of '86, there is an article on the case of Margaret Woolsey-coroners for the prosecution and defense couldn't agree on cause of death. One said strangulation, one said drugs.

Interesting town, there....

shadowangel said:
Find anything related to your sister?

***just looking quickly, I found a couple of things that piqued my interest...Besides all the deaths. There's one article about unsolved murders over the past 20 years (from '97, I'll have to buy that one). Also, an article on Malissa Nichole Thomas, from Feb of '95, a young lady who was found in an abandoned house with her hands and feet bound--initial determination of death was strangulation.
Then, in Feb of '86, there is an article on the case of Margaret Woolsey-coroners for the prosecution and defense couldn't agree on cause of death. One said strangulation, one said drugs.

Interesting town, there....
Where were these two girls from?

How incredibly frustrating!! {{ hugs }}

upallnite said:
Ok, thus far has been pretty strange!!! I called newspapers first, just to see if they could dig those newspaper articles up and the Akron Beacon Journal said I could find the article on Ohio.com (which I haven't done yet) and the Akron Public Library. The Barberton Herald said I could find it at the Barberton public library. I went to Cox funeral home to get a copy of her obituary and they didn't have anything so I went to where she was buried and told me she was buried on March 29th 1982, they don't keep any extensive records there and they also told me she was recieved from Campfield-Hickman funeral home. I went there and the woman at the desk told me I would have to go to the Barberton public library to find obituary. I came home, I just called the Barberton Health department and inquired about getting birth and death certificate. They are sending them today.The lady on the phone says the death certificate says Pending and also says suicide? accidental? undetermined. Lists date of death as pronounced dead March 14th 1982.For some reason it said microscopic and toxological. No idea til I get the thing. I'm heading out to the Barberton Public Library right now, which is making me nervous because it's right beside the police station. hmmm. The lady from the Health department asked me if this was ever investigated. I said no, not really.

I didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, never made it to the library, I had my frien scan photo of my sister and it's on my e-mail, but now I have no clue how to get it on here. Medical Examiner called, autopsy report is ready to send, I have to send them my check and they will send it out.

Patience, dear, patience....It took 23 years to get here, it ain't all comin' together overnight. The more time you take, the better. The only things that happen fast are accidents.

I assume they were local stories from the Akron paper, but when I get a quiet moment later I'll check into them more. I also found the story of the guy who died in the canal (got drunk and fell in, I believe the story said). Also a few bodies that were found (one in a 55-gallon drum). I'll post whatever I find. Right now, I just bumped onto a possible new lead for Sharon Marshall, so ya know what I gots to be doin' now.

upallnite said:
I didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, never made it to the library, I had my frien scan photo of my sister and it's on my e-mail, but now I have no clue how to get it on here. Medical Examiner called, autopsy report is ready to send, I have to send them my check and they will send it out.

I can help with this. Sending PM.

Thanks mysteriew, it looks awsome. Now I feel like I actually accomplished something.

upallnite said:
If this works, it is a picture of Jane.
th.746162b0a4.jpg
[/img]
It worked. Your sister was a very pretty young lady. Such a shame that her life ended so early.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02
Back