OH OH - Jane Gault, 17, Barberton, 14 March 1982

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I pulled an article from the local paper up there from '97, Unsolved Murders. It detailed all unsolved murders from the previous 20 years in the Akron area, including Barberton. Upallnite's sister was not included. Way aggravating, the lack of attention this pretty young lady got. :(

It seems she was just listed as accidental/undetermined and then forgotten.
Until now, of course.

Ok I just went to the Barberton public library. They sent me down to the basement to look at archives of The Barberton Herald, afterwards I was supposed to come back upstairs to find Beacon Journal archives. I went downstairs and this nice lady helped me find the year I was looking for and she began to try to run the microfilm viewer machine. I swear you had to hand crank this thing and it was making noises like it was shorting out. You had to go through all of January and Febuary to get to March Archives, this thing had 2 speeds, extremely slow and time warp. Anyways all of the March issues had parts chopped out of them and no obituaries even though January and Febuary was fine. So, no articles, no obituary. I went back upstairs and the guy at the desk showed me where the Beacon Journal archives were and then directed me to the same exact machine that was downstairs. I was like never mind. Hopefully the Akron Public Library is a little more up to date, going there tomorrow.

shadowangel said:
I pulled an article from the local paper up there from '97, Unsolved Murders. It detailed all unsolved murders from the previous 20 years in the Akron area, including Barberton. Upallnite's sister was not included. Way aggravating, the lack of attention this pretty young lady got. :(

It seems she was just listed as accidental/undetermined and then forgotten.
Until now, of course.
You are so right.

upallnite said:
Ok I just went to the Barberton public library. They sent me down to the basement to look at archives of The Barberton Herald, afterwards I was supposed to come back upstairs to find Beacon Journal archives. I went downstairs and this nice lady helped me find the year I was looking for and she began to try to run the microfilm viewer machine. I swear you had to hand crank this thing and it was making noises like it was shorting out. You had to go through all of January and Febuary to get to March Archives, this thing had 2 speeds, extremely slow and time warp. Anyways all of the March issues had parts chopped out of them and no obituaries even though January and Febuary was fine. So, no articles, no obituary. I went back upstairs and the guy at the desk showed me where the Beacon Journal archives were and then directed me to the same exact machine that was downstairs. I was like never mind. Hopefully the Akron Public Library is a little more up to date, going there tomorrow.
I feel like my head is going to pop off and fly around the room.

Relax, it comes with the territory. You didn't think it would be easy, did you???:D

Strange about the obits for that one month...Do the individual papers keep their own archives?

upallnite said:
I feel like my head is going to pop off and fly around the room.

Get used to it. When you start digging up old info, there is always things frustrating things like missing paperwork, lost paperwork, destroyed paperwork and people who don't want to pull records, and so forth. That is the normal.
When you add the road blocks that I anticipate you will run into, you are going to have to be patient with some things and quietly determined with others.

shadowangel said:
Relax, it comes with the territory. You didn't think it would be easy, did you???:D

Strange about the obits for that one month...Do the individual papers keep their own archives?
I have never used such a piece of junk as that machine was. Do you find it odd that these pages were cut up? It really doesn't matter because I know what the articles and obituary said. But, I think the fact that they were chopped up is important.

Maybe someone else was looking for the same info at some time or the other. Did it look like a lot of articles were removed or just the obits? Did you ask the librarian if it is normal for people to remove articles from their newspapers? Seems they should be a might upset.

The articles were on microfilm, the pages were cut before they were on put on microfilm. The obituary section just wasn't there. It's almost like someone erased her.

upallnite said:
The articles were on microfilm, the pages were cut before they were on put on microfilm. The obituary section just wasn't there. It's almost like someone erased her.
There's plenty of nefarious stuff going on in this case, but I don't think the mircofilm is part of it. My summer job in college was loading old documents on to microfilm machines. Before the digital age, you had to feed each piece of paper into the loader on a belt. They were nasty creatures that would eat the paper and your fingers. Sometimes the paper would be destroyed by the pass through the machine and the image would be garbage. Also, if you weren't paying close enough attention, the paper could get tilted and part of it cut off of the image. Hopefully Ackron scanned its own collection and didn't get a copy of what you saw today. Good luck.

Auggie21 said:
There's plenty of nefarious stuff going on in this case, but I don't think the mircofilm is part of it. My summer job in college was loading old documents on to microfilm machines. Before the digital age, you had to feed each piece of paper into the loader on a belt. They were nasty creatures that would eat the paper and your fingers. Sometimes the paper would be destroyed by the pass through the machine and the image would be garbage. Also, if you weren't paying close enough attention, the paper could get tilted and part of it cut off of the image. Hopefully Ackron scanned its own collection and didn't get a copy of what you saw today. Good luck.
Thanks Auggie!!!

My fiance did just point out three odditys on her death certificate that I recieved in the mail today. First off her age was listed as 18, she was 17. Also her social security number said unknown. And thirdly she was listed as being French-Canadian. (She was not even close to being French- Canadian.)

upallnite said:
My fiance did just point out three odditys on her death certificate that I recieved in the mail today. First off her age was listed as 18, she was 17. Also her social security number said unknown. And thirdly she was listed as being French-Canadian. (She was not even close to being French- Canadian.)

If you can please contact a legal aid society in your area. Explain these huge descrepancies. I think something is amiss and you may need a lawyer to get the answers and the right direction.

upallnite said:
1. First off her age was listed as 18, she was 17. Was her DOB correct and it just listed the wrong age at date of death?

2. Also her social security number said unknown. I still have not been able to pull her up on the social security death index

3. she was listed as being French-Canadian Hmmm, I have no clue on this one.

What is listed as cause of death on death certificate?

Shadow205 said:
1. First off her age was listed as 18, she was 17. Was her DOB correct and it just listed the wrong age at date of death?

2. Also her social security number said unknown. I still have not been able to pull her up on the social security death index

The cause of death on first death certificate says pending, referred to coronor, on the second one says " undetermined after full autopsy, microscopic and toxicological examination.

Shadow205 said:

Nope it says on form :

Age-last birthday

upallnite said:
Nope it says on form :

Age-last birthday
I think they were right though unless I'm thinking wrong, she was born Oct. 18th 1963, I think she was 18.

upallnite said:
I think they were right though unless I'm thinking wrong, she was born Oct. 18th 1963, I think she was 18.

It is so hard trying to reconstruct the past especially when all the info was not given to you directly. It is mostly feelings and faded memories and this is what is counted on by perps. Keep the struggle as your sis was worth it and if we can help we will. You are extremely courageous and your sis is sitting up there thanking you!

concernedperson said:
It is so hard trying to reconstruct the past especially when all the info was not given to you directly. It is mostly feelings and faded memories and this is what is counted on by perps. Keep the struggle as your sis was worth it and if we can help we will. You are extremely courageous and your sis is sitting up there thanking you!
Thank's C.P that's really nice.

upallnite, could one of your parents be french canadian? Could they have visited Canada during your sister's pregnancy and she somehow got delivered in Canada? One way to answer these questions is to get her birth certificate and look for clues there. If nothing there you might want to question if that was the correct death certificate.
As for the unknown social security number- how long after finding her body was it before your parents were notified? Did she have a driver's license? What I am thinking of is that when her body was found someone made a peliminary ID of who she was. Her body was then sent to coroner and they didn't have her soc. security number at that time. No one followed up with notifying the coroner of the social security number, and so when the paperwork for the death certificate was done- they listed the ssn as unknown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back