OH - Jennifer Nelson, 29, murdered in her Dayton home, 2 Jan 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
" Myers also faces one felony count each of gross sexual imposition, grand theft auto, receiving stolen property and having weapons while under disability." Ok, forgive my ignorance again, but I don't understand this. Is it a crime to own weapons if you are disabled? Is that what this means?

It is a crime to own firearms if you have certain mental disability; when Myers committed the arson, he may have been diagnosed with something like sociopath ( or he could have been diagnosed before then) yet if he is dangerously mentally ill, he would not be allowed to own a firearm or gun. Not even a shotgun.

I am pissed as the newspapers seem to be talking about his troubled past, oh he went through so much, blah blah. It's that kind of attitude that gave him pity and went easy on him for all his other criminal charges on his long rap sheet. If someone had thrown the book at him long ago, he wouldn't have had the chance to kill an innocent mother who gave her life protecting her child from him. Myers will lie to get himself out of trouble, he's clearly a sociopath.
He never owned a gun in his life, yeah right.
He didn't want the child to see the "passed away" (aka murdered) parent

He may have gave judges his sob stories in the past and got slaps on the wrists. Now i hope they strap his wrists down to the electric chair.

Its disgusting how the newspapers are victimizing Myers:
"Myers had it rough from an early age.."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jMvjaSVrpk4FwqVzz1qByd_Txs2QD95KIKNO3

A lot of people had it rough, and they don't go on to commit horrendous crimes. It's no excuse, and unfortunately these excuses have actually worked for Myers up until now. He should have been locked up long ago.
Now a child has lost his mother and will be scarred for life.
Sorry for the rant..

Here's a timeline of events (not sure if it was posted)

http://www.ohio.com/news/ap?articleID=1422657&c=y

"
_ Jan. 7: As he's led into Montgomery County Jail, Myers stops and talks briefly to reporters, saying he apologizes and only wanted the couple's "stuff."
_ Jan. 8: Myers makes an initial court appearance in Vandalia Municipal Court, telling a judge by video conference call he understands the charges against him, including aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and gross sexual imposition involving a child under 13."

Also shows that he understands the charges against him.
That random "press conference" he made was unusual, with his bullsh*tting the reporters reasons for his actions. ugh!

snip
"State law allows county prosecutors to file multiple aggravated murder counts for the same offense based on subsections of the Ohio Revised Code."
snip

http://www.daytondailynews.com/n/content/oh/story/news/local/2009/01/07/ddn010709myers.html?imw=Y

From article:

"All aggravated murder counts approved by a jury would be merged into one at the time of sentencing."

Thanks for posting that explanation believe09. The jury in this instance would be a Grand Jury....yes?

It is a crime to own firearms if you have certain mental disability; when Myers committed the arson, he may have been diagnosed with something like sociopath ( or he could have been diagnosed before then) yet if he is dangerously mentally ill, he would not be allowed to own a firearm or gun. Not even a shotgun.

I am pissed as the newspapers seem to be talking about his troubled past, oh he went through so much, blah blah. It's that kind of attitude that gave him pity and went easy on him for all his other criminal charges on his long rap sheet. If someone had thrown the book at him long ago, he wouldn't have had the chance to kill an innocent mother who gave her life protecting her child from him. Myers will lie to get himself out of trouble, he's clearly a sociopath.
He never owned a gun in his life, yeah right.
He didn't want the child to see the "passed away" (aka murdered) parent

He may have gave judges his sob stories in the past and got slaps on the wrists. Now i hope they strap his wrists down to the electric chair.

Its disgusting how the newspapers are victimizing Myers:
"Myers had it rough from an early age.."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jMvjaSVrpk4FwqVzz1qByd_Txs2QD95KIKNO3

A lot of people had it rough, and they don't go on to commit horrendous crimes. It's no excuse, and unfortunately these excuses have actually worked for Myers up until now. He should have been locked up long ago.
Now a child has lost his mother and will be scarred for life.
Sorry for the rant..

Oops, my bad, I didn't totally think this through. I was thinking disabled due to hearing loss. Obviously if you have a mental disability you would not be allowed to own firearms. Duh! (To me!)

" Myers also faces one felony count each of gross sexual imposition, grand theft auto, receiving stolen property and having weapons while under disability." Ok, forgive my ignorance again, but I don't understand this. Is it a crime to own weapons if you are disabled? Is that what this means?

2923.13 Having weapons while under disability.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.13

Could it be this one?

(5) The person is under adjudication of mental incompetence, has been adjudicated as a mental defective, has been committed to a mental institution, has been found by a court to be a mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order, or is an involuntary patient other than one who is a patient only for purposes of observation. As used in this division, “mentally ill person subject to hospitalization by court order” and “patient” have the same meanings as in section 5122.01 of the Revised Code.

or this one?:

(2) The person is under indictment for or has been convicted of any felony offense of violence or has been adjudicated a delinquent child for the commission of an offense that, if committed by an adult, would have been a felony offense of violence.

What do you all think?

Edited. Don't use the names of minor crime victims. I understand that you disagree with our policy, but that's what it is.

Wow... I've been following this case since I live just south of Dayton. Today I found out that a friend of mine is friends with the Nelsons and knew Jenny. I was with this friend today when he received a phone call from a family member of Jenny's.

Just to confirm some of what we've heard, my friend did tell me that they did not know Myers at all. There was no connection between the Nelson's and Myers. He stole their car and stalked them through their phone.

My friend was choked up after he got off the phone. He talked a little bit about it but I did not want to press for fear of being rude and insensitive. Jenny was a wonderful person, a loving Mom who doted on her son. She helped her family out at every turn and spent her life as a loving, caring human being. My friend is crushed and cannot speak highly enough of her, her husband and their families.

I don't get the rage here. In my years as a journalist I covered worse crimes than this (Nathaniel Bar Jonah, anyone? In which the case couldn't go forward because the parent of the murdered and cannibalized boy refused to recognize that he was dead . . .) and I've seen far more heinous perps-- what about the guy who murdered his sister by stabbing her in the eye and raping her, the "parents" who tortured their three year old daughter to death, the Midyettes . . . and I don't see anywhere near the level of outrage there that appears here. Your rage doesn't touch Charlie Myers, it only eats you up.

The judge who sentenced Charlie Myers in 2002 gave him the maximum sentence she could give him. If you have issues with him "getting off" there, its with the prosecutor. Court documents suggest he was operating at the mental level of a ten or eleven year old. Old enough to know right from wrong, sure, but not old enough to deal with the adult correction system. I'd be surprised if Mat Heck seeks the Death Penalty here because it's harder to get a conviction. If he seeks the DP and loses, Charlie Myers walks. Would you risk that just for a little revenge? (He can add lesser charges and the jury can reject the capital murder charge and only convict on the lesser charges, but then he generally would be eligible for parole within his lifetime.)

The interest in Charlie Myers shown by the press (particularly in Dayton) stems from the fact that he's such an unusual perp, and because his own circumstances were so miserable. What a waste, all the way around. If Charlie had been born into a different situation (instead of a sex-offender father and a suicidal mother) it might have been a different story. Yes, I know other children (Myers own sister) who live through similar things and don't grow up to be sociopaths, but social services can tell you that those are the exceptions not the rule. How 'bout those folks who grow up in regular homes (Midyettes, etc) and turn out to be monsters. People are wired differently. Here's the thing though, people are not all evil and certainly not all good. Even the worst criminals have had their good points. I've interviewed men on death row... some of them are funny and charming, were reasonably good sons, brothers, Dads or husbands before their fatal flaw came into play.

Kat, I think not using the names of the victims out of respect for them is a kind sentiment but misplaced. I think as long as victims (including victims of sexual crimes) remain nameless and faceless, what they've suffered is minimized. Jenny and the boy are alive and vivid to us when we use their names. (This is also why the Vietnam Veterans Memorial is so effective.) When we stop using their names, they fade. (Jenny Nelson's obituary, weirdly echoing Charlie Myers' statement, said she "passed away unexpectedly at home.")

Jenny Nelson was a hero, no doubt about it. I hope that Eddie will move to a different state with the boy to start anew. Even without the sexual elements of the case, edited (the boy) Nelson will always be the kid who was found at a rest stop when his mother was murdered and that will make him prone to unwanted attention.

Okay, naming the child is not a good idea. Kids can be cruel, to protect his best interests, i think leaving him nameless for now is a good thing. When he turns 18, if he wants to speak out about his story, then that is his choice. Otherwise, i can see it being hurtful for the young victim. He will not be forgotten, as his name isn't used. People will still remember the case and the boy. I don't think not using his real name minimizes his suffering, being that he is a minor, it's important he is protected. There are rules in place about not using victim's names for a reason. Myers also intended to rape the boy. If it were my child, i surely wouldn't want his name out in the public, it's a matter of being protective. Once he turned 18, then he could do what he wanted, and go public.
We're not supposed to use the real names of victims in these situations that are under age 18. I respect that.
In the beginning, when the story first came out, they used the names. Later on when more information became available about Myers wanting to rape and abuse the boy, the names weren't being reported. Once again, understandable.

Yes, i do have an issue with the prosecuter about Myers "getting off". I'm also talking about when he got out of his 3 years in juvie, he continued to commit crimes, still getting slaps on the wrist. When you're dealing with a repeat offender who shows no willingness to change, and admits it, then other steps should be taken. He could have been put into a psychiatric hospital after his last arrests incidents. He does have psychiatric problems, hence why he has a charge for having a weapon while disabled. There are a lot of people out there who haven't had the best of lives, who grow up to lead productive lives, or at least don't have long rap sheets. While i appreciate the newspapers giving us his background info, the wording in some is done so that you have to wonder.. Myers can make excuses for his actions his whole life, yet that doesn't not change the fact that there is really no excuse. He had chances to change, and he didn't. Pure and simple.

I really don't have an opinion one way or another about his childhood experiences. I do find them interesting because I think (and this is only my personal opinion) that more than likely they will be presented to the court as defense and will be seen as mitigating factors.

In fact, I believe they are valid mitigating factors. I have refrained from commenting on what I personally think about C. Myers and his crimes because ... well I just don't think my two cents is worthwhile at this point. But from what I have seen this is not a DP case. Just my two cents.

Okay, naming the child is not a good idea. Kids can be cruel, to protect his best interests, i think leaving him nameless for now is a good thing. When he turns 18, if he wants to speak out about his story, then that is his choice. Otherwise, i can see it being hurtful for the young victim. He will not be forgotten, as his name isn't used. People will still remember the case and the boy. I don't think not using his real name minimizes his suffering, being that he is a minor, it's important he is protected. There are rules in place about not using victim's names for a reason. Myers also intended to rape the boy. If it were my child, i surely wouldn't want his name out in the public, it's a matter of being protective. Once he turned 18, then he could do what he wanted, and go public.
We're not supposed to use the real names of victims in these situations that are under age 18. I respect that.
In the beginning, when the story first came out, they used the names. Later on when more information became available about Myers wanting to rape and abuse the boy, the names weren't being reported. Once again, understandable.

Yes, i do have an issue with the prosecuter about Myers "getting off". I'm also talking about when he got out of his 3 years in juvie, he continued to commit crimes, still getting slaps on the wrist. When you're dealing with a repeat offender who shows no willingness to change, and admits it, then other steps should be taken. He could have been put into a psychiatric hospital after his last arrests incidents. He does have psychiatric problems, hence why he has a charge for having a weapon while disabled. There are a lot of people out there who haven't had the best of lives, who grow up to lead productive lives, or at least don't have long rap sheets. While i appreciate the newspapers giving us his background info, the wording in some is done so that you have to wonder.. Myers can make excuses for his actions his whole life, yet that doesn't not change the fact that there is really no excuse. He had chances to change, and he didn't. Pure and simple.

I was going to post a response to this but i see meow did a great job telling exactly how i feel to about it. I second your opinion.

Has it been established that guy I found on the Sex Offender Registry is definately his father?

Found an old Myspace for Betty Jo. She'd like to meet bad azz people. Her commenting about Charlie not being gay is interesting as Betty Jo makes it crystal clear she likes the boys and the girls. Note I have no problem with anyone having sexual preferences different than my own. Just putting it out there. Betty Jo also is registered under a Video Phone service. Here's her Myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=13836500

Has it been established that guy I found on the Sex Offender Registry is definately his father?

Found an old Myspace for Betty Jo. She'd like to meet bad azz people. Her commenting about Charlie not being gay is interesting as Betty Jo makes it crystal clear she likes the boys and the girls. Note I have no problem with anyone having sexual preferences different than my own. Just putting it out there. Betty Jo also is registered under a Video Phone service. Here's her Myspace.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=13836500

I really don't have an opinion one way or another about his childhood experiences. I do find them interesting because I think (and this is only my personal opinion) that more than likely they will be presented to the court as defense and will be seen as mitigating factors.

In fact, I believe they are valid mitigating factors. I have refrained from commenting on what I personally think about C. Myers and his crimes because ... well I just don't think my two cents is worthwhile at this point. But from what I have seen this is not a DP case. Just my two cents.

I believe childhood experiences do play a part in our personalities. But I also believe that we all have choices to make. I'm sure his expeiences will be used as a defense. Again, he had choices. He planned to molest that little boy and I assume he planned to use the loaded gun he took with him. If he hadn't planned on shooting anyone, he could have just had the gun but not loaded. In my opinion, just because he had a bad childhood, that doesn't give him the right to cause another little boy to have a bad childhood or take a Mother's life. (not saying you feel that way) I'm not sure if this is a DP case or not but I know he doesn't ever need to be walking among the free again.

<respectfully snipped>

Filly, to my knowledge that man has not been found to be/or not to be his father.

According to the report i read his dad had died from a heart attack when he was 4.

I apologize for my misinformation. I had it wrong,it was his mother.

I apologize for my misinformation. I had it wrong,it was his mother.
It's sickly ironic that he took the life of that boy's mother at the same age. I wonder if there is something to that (possibly CM was molested when HIS mother died) that has replayed itself in this situation. :waitasec:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back